Whole-sign house

Love2Know

No on any systems. I think I could make a new house system if I wanted that would be just as valid as any. I do relate more to 12th house sun and 1st merc vs 11th house sun and 12th mercury. Though if I was terribly worried about validity I wouldnt be enjoying astrology. Every human system is flawed but perfection is also a subjective human construct. *shrug

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Has someone checked if it's okay to use that system? Is there statistic proof on the veracity of the system?

There is not statistical proof of much of anything in astrology, with just a few exceptions, like Michel Gauquelin's research. However, the whole sign system was used historically, I believe, before any of the other newer divisions of the chart into 12 parts. Vedic/sidereal currently employs whole signs. Western charts were also read by dividing into four equal parts, and by not having any houses at all.

As to whether it is okay to use whole house, of course it is. It can work very well. Just pick a house system and work with it consistently for a while and see what you think.

Last edited:

Love2Know

There is not statistical proof of much of anything in astrology, with just a few exceptions, like Michel Gauquelin's research. However, the whole sign system was used historically, I believe, before any of the other newer divisions of the chart into 12 parts. Vedic/sidereal currently employs whole signs. Western charts were also read by dividing into four equal parts, and by not having any houses at all.

As to whether it is okay to use whole house, of course it is. It can work very well. Just pick a house system and work with it consistently for a while and see what you think.

Yeah he had selection bias and small population samples with a lack of cultural diversity. This study would have to be a multigenerational one... also now many people change proffessions and it isnt as fixed as in the past just thinking of all the statistical errors and term definition hurts my head as well as defining the astrological system used this alone would qualify as a fault premise... ouch. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_effect

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
Yeah he had selection bias and small population samples with a lack of cultural diversity. This study would have to be a multigenerational one... also now many people change proffessions and it isnt as fixed as in the past just thinking of all the statistical errors and term definition hurts my head as well as defining the astrological system used this alone would qualify as a fault premise... ouch. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_effect

I think his work was bold and needed, with whatever limitations modeling and statistics have. True modelers and statisticians are able to define and structure with much greater ease that laypersons.

I personally just don't think that astrology needs to be "proven" using a scientific framework. I think it needs to be used based on one's repeated observation and experience with it.

Oddity

Astrology, at least the parts of it that people seem most interested in, like predictive stuff, can't be tested within the framework of modern science.

That doesn't mean it's valueless.

Oddity

How would you do that with horary? If you just come up with an off-the-cuff question, it's not horary anymore. For that matter, how would you do it with anything? I've done a few mundane predictions for my city that came true, but would, say, Mars square Saturn act the same way in all charts in an ingress? No, it'd depend on a lot of factors, and the outward expression (what happens) would be unlikely to be the same for all of them. You can't just say 'if such and such planets are aligned the transit system will be bombed' or whatever.

Most of the tests I've seen about astrology just disprove things that astrology never claimed for itself in the first place.

Last edited:

waybread

Julian, a lot of traditional astrologers swear by whole signs. But work with different house systems, and then choose the one that you believe gives you the best results.

Julian

Banned
I think his work was bold and needed, with whatever limitations modeling and statistics have. True modelers and statisticians are able to define and structure with much greater ease that laypersons.

I personally just don't think that astrology needs to be "proven" using a scientific framework. I think it needs to be used based on one's repeated observation and experience with it.

"repeated observation and experience"

that's statistics you silly

IleneK

Premium Member
"repeated observation and experience"

that's statistics you silly

Ah, yes. Well, some folks [like statisticians in particular :)] might argue that statistics is a wee bit more rigorous than one individual's "repeated observation and experience"

By definition statistics would include systematic analysis that an individual's repeated observation and experience would quite likely lack.

Last edited:

Love2Know

Ah, yes. Well, some folks [like statisticians in particular :)] might argue that statistics is a wee bit more rigorous than one individual's "repeated observation and experience"

By definition statistics would include systematic analysis that an individual's repeated observation and experience would quite likely lack.

It is backed up by repeatable qualitative and quantitative systematic data analysis. it is fun throwwing words together. pizza cake.

IleneK

Premium Member
It is backed up by repeatable qualitative and quantitative systematic data analysis. it is fun throwwing words together. pizza cake.

Glad to see you understand and agree that what I recommended for one, an individual, to do is not statistics, you silly :)

Last edited:

Dirius

House "systems" were developed for different specific purposes.

The 12 houses are, and will always be, the 12 signs of the zodiac, which are divided in segments of 30 degrees each.

The purpose of quadrant systems are each for different tasks. Originally the first quadrant division, was for a technique regarding the length of life. Another example, Placidus system is used to take into account planetary hours.

Each house system has a purpose, which mostly is now lost, with the choice being based on preference, rather than utility. :sleeping:

Placidus (the most popular one in western), is usually missused in birth chart readings.

cspencer

Banned
Has someone checked if it's okay to use that system? Is there statistic proof on the veracity of the system?

Of course, it's okay. It's just as valid as any other system, even more so, since it was the original system.

I suggest the original house system was based on temporal hours, meaning ascensional times were used to determine the cusps of the houses.

Julian

Banned
Of course, it's okay. It's just as valid as any other system, even more so, since it was the original system.

I suggest the original house system was based on temporal hours, meaning ascensional times were used to determine the cusps of the houses.

Because I don't know. I couldn't tell if I have a tenth house Sun and Jupiter and a eleventh house Saturn and Venus. It sounds way too good.

cspencer

Banned
Because I don't know. I couldn't tell if I have a tenth house Sun and Jupiter and a eleventh house Saturn and Venus. It sounds way too good.

The 10th sign from the ascendant is always the 10th sign no matter what.

Myself, I prefer whole sign. I find the MC in the 9th, 10th or 11th indicates the source of your reputation and where you succeed professionally in life.

Having the MC in the 9th or 11th Place doesn't make the 10th Place less important, and it's still an indicator of your reputation and fame.