What do they mean when they say the Moon Sign represents Emotions?

I'm really wondering. The Moon is universally stated as representing the emotional side of you.

So does this mean someone with a Fire sign will be hot-tempered and passionate?

Or someone with a moon in Aquarius will be emotionally detached (even if he has say a Sun in Aries)?

Dies this mean someone with a Moon in that sign will react emotionally like that sign? Like someone with a Moon in Capricorn will be cold and stoic?

I have a Moon in Leo and I admit my temper can be VERY HOT to the point when I finally unleash my rage I become an uncontrollable beast that will take a physically conditioned person like a soldier or a wrestler to strangle me down in a hold until I finally cool down. I am a Pisces Sun and Scorpio Ascendant as well as Water Dominant.

JUPITERASC

I'm really wondering. The Moon is universally stated as representing the emotional side of you.

So does this mean someone with a Fire sign will be hot-tempered and passionate?

Or someone with a moon in Aquarius will be emotionally detached (even if he has say a Sun in Aries)?

Dies this mean someone with a Moon in that sign will react emotionally like that sign? Like someone with a Moon in Capricorn will be cold and stoic?

I have a Moon in Leo and I admit my temper can be VERY HOT to the point when I finally unleash my rage I become an uncontrollable beast that will take a physically conditioned person like a soldier or a wrestler to strangle me down in a hold until I finally cool down. I am a Pisces Sun and Scorpio Ascendant as well as Water Dominant.
That's too general :smile:

Traditionally, the Moon signifies:

'…. Queens, countesses, ladies, all manner of women; the common people, travellers, pilgrims, sailors, fishermen, fishmongers, brewers, tapsters aka barmen , vintners, letter-carriers, coachmen, huntsmen, messengers, mariners, millers, alewives, malsters, drunkards, oisterwives, fisherwomen, charwomen, tripewomen, and generally such women as carry commodities in the streets; midwives, nurses, &c, hackneymen, watermen, waterbearers.....
' http://www.skyscript.co.uk/moonatt.html

LUNAR SYMBOLISM

'….As Lady of the Night the Moon is feminine and can represent the mother and in a man's horoscope, the partner, the kind of women to whom he is attracted.

At a universal level Moon is a powerful symbol of womankind and feminine energy and rules motherhood, babies, childhood, fertility. It is at its most fecund in own sign Cancer and the other water signs Pisces and Scorpio, although Scorpio can often indicate gynecological problems.

Moon is said to be barren in Gemini, Leo, and Virgo, but if the horoscope is otherwise favorable for children these placings do not preclude pregnancy....' source: Joanna Watters ASTROLOGY FOR TODAY

'…..The Moon's 28-day cycle taps us into the menstrual cycle, and its waxing and waning can be seen to symbolize conception, pregnancy, and birth.

RULER OF THE NIGHT

If the Sun rules our conscious day world then the Moon speaks of our night world, the dominion of the unconscious, dreams, and all that is shadowy. It holds sway over our emotions, needs, and habitual responses. It receives light, continually presenting a different shape, and is receptive and changeable. Strong Lunar types share many positive Cancerian characteristics, such as sensitivity and the ability to nurture and protect.....'

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The problem with this statement is that it's very oversimplified. Certainly the Moon has association with the emotions, but it's something that modern psychological astrologers have taken and run with in their work to turn everything in the chart into a psychological component.

The main focus of the Moon is her moisture and it's this part of her that gives her a lot of her more odd associations. So one thing to help you get a better understanding of the Moon is to get a better understanding of the traditional effects of moisture.

There are many better ways to tell how someone handles their emotions than the Moon's sign, but the Moon is a good beginning point in delving into someone's faculties.

BobZemco

Not in Traditional Astrology, which is what this sub-forum is about.

Text removed by moderator

The Moon signifies beginnings, fortune in employment, gaining things you want, lack of religion or ideological belief systems, lack of higher education, the occult, engineering and sciences related to land and water, women, especially women of high social class or standing, marriages, pregnant women, child-rearing, women in general, mothers, sisters, aunts, water, fluids, liquids, messengers, mail/news, fugitives, liars, a number of different diseases and illnesses, the fitness of bodies, hair-cutting and a lack of sex, among things.

Notice I didn't say squat about "emotions."

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed by moderator

Can you give me a guideline on this site showing what is traditional? So much of modenr Astrology is distorted I don't even know what is traditional anymore and modern astrologers have accepted the Moon as traditionally representing emotions.

Even "Diehard Astrology Forums" (NOT!!!!) such as Linda Land accept the modern definitions as being "traditional"!

I'm glad I registered here wow this his already the deepest Astrology Forum I've been to! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JUPITERASC

Can you give me a guideline on this site showing what is traditional? So much of modenr Astrology is distorted I don't even know what is traditional anymore and modern astrologers have accepted the Moon as traditionally representing emotions.

Even "Diehard Astrology Forums" (NOT!!!!) such as Linda Land accept the modern definitions as being "traditional"!

I'm glad I registered here wow this his already the deepest Astrology Forum I've been to! :)
Pisces Adonis when clicking on the Traditional Forum link on the main page that leads to this subforum where we are now having a discussion on this thread you posted. Our discussion delineates natal charts from the Traditional perspective and in fact since you posted this particular discussion thread in the Traditional Forum, so you already found your way to it :smile:

I recommend that you read the various discussions on this, the Traditional section of the main forum, so that you familiarise yourself with Traditional concepts. There are plenty of interesting threads such as
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43920

As well as that, if you would like to go into more depth with Traditional astrological concepts then as has already been previously advised, do read and learn the Traditional significations aka meanings of the planets, the signs and the houses. Buying books can be expensive but there is reliable FREE information available for example at
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/

On the link, there are options shown on the left margin, to choose from such as 'Houses' which gives House Meanings aka House Significations - as well as the planets.

Last edited: