How Do You Use the Energy of a Square?

IfIKnewBetter

Bear with me, I'm a beginner. Coming from someone who's chart is riddled with Squares I'd like to know.

I understand a Square is tension between two planets that needs to be integrated or released, right? So how do you do that? I understand it's all based on what each planet is doing, placement, etc but I'm asking for a general answer.

For example, in a Venus-Pluto Square. Do you focus on the energy of Venus, Pluto, or both to "alleviate" the Square?

katydid

Bear with me, I'm a beginner. Coming from someone who's chart is riddled with Squares I'd like to know.

I understand a Square is tension between two planets that needs to be integrated or released, right? So how do you do that? I understand it's all based on what each planet is doing, placement, etc but I'm asking for a general answer.

For example, in a Venus-Pluto Square. Do you focus on the energy of Venus, Pluto, or both to "alleviate" the Square?

It is hard to give a general answer that would be correct or helpful. It really does depend upon the houses, signs, aspects being made.

For example, if Venus was in a strong placement, like in Libra, Taurus or Pisces, and was angular, than she might be a worthy opponent of the challenging Pluto.

In that case, one could focus on the energy of the Venus, and use one's creative talents as an artist, musician, designer or craftsman, perhaps. One could use one's skills as a mediator or negotiator or a counselor and be handsomely rewarded/compensated because of the great respect that others have for their opinions.

HOWEVER, if the Venus is debilitated, and poorly placed, then the Pluto can do much damage. And the native might have poor skills in those Venusian areas. And one might lack discernment, creativity, social skills and self esteem. One may even take on the negative traits of Pluto and be obsessive or manipulative, jealous or greedy.

It is hard to give a general opinion when the potential scenarios are so varied and so different.

Squares indicate challenges, friction and conflict because the two planets squaring each other are in the same mode, [ cardinal/fixed/mutable/] but in adverse elements. [ fire vs water, air vs earth]

So the conflict is element based. Fire vs water creates steam. One planet is fiery, pro-active, inspired and the other planet is emotional, reactive, going with the flow.

So if you have Sun in Aries square the Mars in Cancer, the 'square' is about two facets of one's persona being in conflict. The individual spirit [sun]wants to be courageous and bold.

But that fiery Sun is challenged by [square] the watery Mars in Cancer.

Mars, the physical energy force, being in cardinal water, is putting out the fire of the Aries Sun. Water and Fire do not mix well.

The Aries Sun wants to be bold, impulsive and ambitious. The Mars in Cancer tries to follow through on those goals and ambitions. But if it was a trine to Mars or a sextile, then the elements would be conducive to growth and success.

The square brings in the conflict of indecision, uncertainty, lack of motivation.

StillOne

I'd look to developing the "easier" aspects. Look to Trines and Sextiles to help alleviate the "tension" of the Square.

The thing with the "blue" aspects is that more often than not they are under-utilized. When discovered and developed they can provide incredible strength but people tend to be very lazy working on these aspects.

Focus on finding "strengths" in your horoscope and grounding into those. In time the Squares will help propel you on your path by giving you cause to move you further.

Last edited:

IfIKnewBetter

It is hard to give a general answer that would be correct or helpful. It really does depend upon the houses, signs, aspects being made.

For example, if Venus was in a strong placement, like in Libra, Taurus or Pisces, and was angular, than she might be a worthy opponent of the challenging Pluto.

In that case, one could focus on the energy of the Venus, and use one's creative talents as an artist, musician, designer or craftsman, perhaps. One could use one's skills as a mediator or negotiator or a counselor and be handsomely rewarded/compensated because of the great respect that others have for their opinions.

HOWEVER, if the Venus is debilitated, and poorly placed, then the Pluto can do much damage. And the native might have poor skills in those Venusian areas. And one might lack discernment, creativity, social skills and self esteem. One may even take on the negative traits of Pluto and be obsessive or manipulative, jealous or greedy.

It is hard to give a general opinion when the potential scenarios are so varied and so different.

Squares indicate challenges, friction and conflict because the two planets squaring each other are in the same mode, [ cardinal/fixed/mutable/] but in adverse elements. [ fire vs water, air vs earth]

So the conflict is element based. Fire vs water creates steam. One planet is fiery, pro-active, inspired and the other planet is emotional, reactive, going with the flow.

So if you have Sun in Aries square the Mars in Cancer, the 'square' is about two facets of one's persona being in conflict. The individual spirit [sun]wants to be courageous and bold.

But that fiery Sun is challenged by [square] the watery Mars in Cancer.

Mars, the physical energy force, being in cardinal water, is putting out the fire of the Aries Sun. Water and Fire do not mix well.

The Aries Sun wants to be bold, impulsive and ambitious. The Mars in Cancer tries to follow through on those goals and ambitions. But if it was a trine to Mars or a sextile, then the elements would be conducive to growth and success.

The square brings in the conflict of indecision, uncertainty, lack of motivation.

What about situations like mine? Where you have some "good" aspects or placements and then an equally tight square?

Also, could the Square also mean feeling compelled to do something in the "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't" kind of way? Feeling like "I want to/could but I know **** will hit the fan?" Well you said indecision so I guess that's it...

That sounds like me. For all they're worth the Squares I have on my MC-ASC have basically been acting solely like this so far in my life.:annoyed:

IfIKnewBetter

I'd look to developing the "easier" aspects. Look to Trines and Sextiles to help alleviate the "tension" of the Square.

The thing with the "blue" aspects is that more often than not they are under-utilized. When discovered and developed they can provide incredible strength but people tend to be very lazy working on these aspects.

Focus on finding "strengths" in your horoscope and grounding into those. In time the Squares will help propel you on your path by giving you cause to move you further.

What if the two are unrelated? Say a Square has to do with the way you act and the Trine deals with the way you create, for example.

I really don't get how Squares are motivating. Is it because they're so unbearable the native is forced to get up and change or else sit there in agony?

animatedoodle

What if the two are unrelated? Say a Square has to do with the way you act and the Trine deals with the way you create, for example.

I really don't get how Squares are motivating. Is it because they're so unbearable the native is forced to get up and change or else sit there in agony?

Yes the agony. Get up or just sit there. Most people in order to survive get up, and the Universe rewards them for their efforts.
It leaves scars tho

I'm trying to follow. You say you have Venus and Pluto squaring, but haven't told us HOW.

I'll provide an example that better illustrates this:

I have Sun TAU in the 3rd house, in a perfect 1 degree of separation orb Square Jupiter LEO in the 6th house. Earth Vs Fire.
The way I began in this world is that I felt powerless because that egocentric power was taken away from me. I had stronger more controlling egos determine my destiny, down to my routine, down to every aspect of day to day. It was easy for bigger people to control and manipulate me. I was submissive to this energy that CONVINCED ME that they knew better.

BUT.....I also have a powerful trine of the SUN TAU (3) to SATURN VIRG (7) and it was through SPEECH and COMMUNICATION with OTHER PEOPLE and through ANALYSIS and REFLECTION that I realised that I was the master of myself and my happiness. I didn't have to be convinced or be told what to do. I was free to make my own choices, I was strong and organised enough to deal with my day to day. I wasn't helpless, I wasn't too scatty or weak. I could do it.

But the scar is still there. (SUN CON CHIRON) and I hope that illuminated something for you :)

Kitchy

Banned

By being in a constant state of agitation - the native with the square will constantly be forced to address the agitation and, in that, the native attains a better self-awareness and sense of accomplishment by his/her willingness to "work at" problems or issues in their life.

Bunraku

Squares kind of fizzle out over time and you get used to dealing with them. Oppositions get resolved much later in life, or not at all.

IfIKnewBetter

Yes the agony. Get up or just sit there. Most people in order to survive get up, and the Universe rewards them for their efforts.
It leaves scars tho

I'm trying to follow. You say you have Venus and Pluto squaring, but haven't told us HOW.

I'll provide an example that better illustrates this:

I have Sun TAU in the 3rd house, in a perfect 1 degree of separation orb Square Jupiter LEO in the 6th house. Earth Vs Fire.
The way I began in this world is that I felt powerless because that egocentric power was taken away from me. I had stronger more controlling egos determine my destiny, down to my routine, down to every aspect of day to day. It was easy for bigger people to control and manipulate me. I was submissive to this energy that CONVINCED ME that they knew better.

BUT.....I also have a powerful trine of the SUN TAU (3) to SATURN VIRG (7) and it was through SPEECH and COMMUNICATION with OTHER PEOPLE and through ANALYSIS and REFLECTION that I realised that I was the master of myself and my happiness. I didn't have to be convinced or be told what to do. I was free to make my own choices, I was strong and organised enough to deal with my day to day. I wasn't helpless, I wasn't too scatty or weak. I could do it.

But the scar is still there. (SUN CON CHIRON) and I hope that illuminated something for you :)

I'll post my chart with this reply. I have Venus, Mars, Jupiter all conjunct in the 10th house but Squaring my Pluto in the 1st house... Where to begin... Do I even want to?

I'm a catalyst for mutiny at work it seems. Any abuse of power or policies/processes that don't work that I point out become a big deal. Not solely for me, if I even care beyond noting it, but for everyone around me, coworkers and bosses. I lead revolutions sometimes without meaning to. I should become a consultant or something. I make a great impression with everyone I work for and with, costumers and clients included... I always hit this point where things don't work for me anymore, where I hate the job and immediately quit. Like right now, I'm desperate to finally find the career that's right for me and stop ******* around.

On the sphere inside and outside of work I toggle between utterly charming and agreeable, and absolutely destructive. Whether to myself or the thing I'm tearing down. And it's really me or the other because until recent years I couldn't seem to find satisfactory compromise very often. That's the gist of it but I'll address each planet's energy specifically as the best and worst ways they've panned out for me:

Venus: My feelings tend to be too strong for my partners to handle or I can have my partner completely, bewitchingly, taken with me. And I with them. The whole "I am Yours and you are Mine" deal. I can't do anything superficial in the sense that if you're not interested in a relationship that gets deep, delicious, and dark then why bother? Even if it's a one night stand there needs to be intensity in the interactions. Whether or not they're good for me, I'm almost helpless around anyone that's struck such a chord with me. I can be insatiable, much like my Mars and in every sense of the word. I don't get involved with many people that aren't willing to bare themselves completely, because unfortunately if the call was too much I'd crack them open like an egg to get to the juicy insides, much to their embarrassment. I expose them that's not something everyone is comfortable with, especially those that haven't embraced their darker parts. This creates problems where I'm blamed or projected upon for their own shadows. All is fair though, they are my mirrors just as much as I am theirs...

Either my heart is 100% in it or not at all. And if it's not at all then it's not happening. My attractions, I mean when I'm really attracted to them is this all consuming passionate beast of a thing that I cannot control. It's like I've got this thing pinned down until someone appears that makes me lose my grip and every cell in my body goes, "We like Her." I want all of them. And yet there is a part of me that belongs to me and only me. I cut ties like no one else. I've dropped off the face of the Earth when it comes to people who have hurt me. Unless they come hunt me down they won't be able to find me. Lately, if for some reason things don't or won't work out (I have a good sense for judging this,) I drop the person and completely freeze them out. I pull away so I can get myself under control again, usually doing something to ensure they won't come close to me. Then after I get really sad. I end up practically hating myself. I often run screaming from romantic relationships.

It's taken a great effort for me to slow down and give myself over piece by piece... And honestly I'm not the jealous type, I rather move on to someone more loyal. Because until the other person shows they are untrustworthy I am laid bare to them. The moment I get a whiff of betrayal though... What stings more than an incidious prick in your softest, most out of reach place?

Same goes for my nonromantic relationships. If I don't associate with you, then I do not. I laugh in the face of rivals.

Mars: My anger is... Nothing and No one can stop it. This has gotten better with age. If talking it out doesn't get me results and it's becoming unbearable, my temper explodes white hot. I go for the jugular, anything goes. If I want to do something, nothing can stop me. Nothing, I mean that. When I run into a major obstacle it get bulldozed down or I end up raging against what feels like a brick wall that won't budge. At this point I've learned to calm down and poke around it strategically until I find a way to overcome but sometimes it only make me angrier and I abandon the entire endeavor like a freaking petulant child. Like Venus, there's an impulse. Usually if I can't have it I don't even want it. At work or school I achieve, achieve, achieve until I hit the limits or find out the effort wasn't even worth it. Competition spurs me. I'm ambitious, in ways that can exceed my skills. I want so much of the world.

Jupiter: Plain and simple, sometimes I have all the faith in the world and I'm vibrating at such a high frequency that there's nothing that won't come to me. I can manifest so many things for myself that I surprise myself with my own power. Then I swoop down and question everything and not even a hungry stray will look my way. When I believe, every fiber in my being has faith, when I don't I will tear it down and expose it for the lie it is. I fall into deep depressions.

A lot of power issues. Taking it to the extremes. These behaviors are completely compulsive in a way that... It's absolutely demanding. I can't not if that makes sense. If I somehow find I don't overcome that obstacle or do the thing (Mars) or don't date the person (Venus,) for example, I'm thrown into this little slice of Hell. I must. I must chase after her, I must get the best marks at work, I must try this new sport or buy every book in the store about this or that. Etc etc. These last few years I've really gotten a hold on everything with few slips ups. Lately though, I've been extremely frustrated with everything in my life. Katydid said:

It's when I feel like this that I don't bother reigning myself in. I become depressed. Whatever happens happens and I build anew on the consequences. I know I shouldn't let it get to this point, but for some reason I hold on until it's clear I'll have to incite the change. And that's rarely pretty. Something gets obliterated because something has to give. Again, me or ___. I can change, somethings can't. In those circumstances there is only one choice. I adapt, evolve, but regardless it always comes down to the eternal constant.

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_me_hw.82694.30783.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_me_hw.82694.30783.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

IfIKnewBetter

By being in a constant state of agitation - the native with the square will constantly be forced to address the agitation and, in that, the native attains a better self-awareness and sense of accomplishment by his/her willingness to "work at" problems or issues in their life.

No wonder things feel so cyclical. It's wave after wave of new and different demons, so maybe I have been making progress after all. Thank you.

IfIKnewBetter

Squares kind of fizzle out over time and you get used to dealing with them. Oppositions get resolved much later in life, or not at all.

What makes you say this? I mean I get the part of getting used to dealing with them but the other parts? I thought it was all just there until you die lol

wilsontc

Staff member
Squares are motivators, to Better

Better,

Square aspects are motivators. Unlike oppositions (which are tug of wars) or sextiles and trines (which are easy aspects), squares force a person to take action. You can't ignore a square...it just won't let you. HOW you use that energy is the key matter.

About squares,

Tim

IfIKnewBetter

Re: Squares are motivators, to Better

Better,

Square aspects are motivators. Unlike oppositions (which are tug of wars) or sextiles and trines (which are easy aspects), squares force a person to take action. You can't ignore a square...it just won't let you. HOW you use that energy is the key matter.

About squares,

Tim

Whenever I'd search the "meanings" about these squares it was super fatalistic and they never mentioned the aspects were motivators, let alone that that the energy could be transformed. It seemed like it was hopeless. But I think I finally get it, thank you!

Kitchy

Banned
Once you've studied charts of people who work for what they have, know and care about, you'll see where the 'work' of the squares that TW speaks of. They are the little engines that could.

Most people who find success in life through their own actions and efforts, are folks with squares in their charts.

Think of it like riding a bike - you learn by falling down and getting back up on it again - not giving up - determined to master the bike - and then, after you do that time and time again - the bike becomes a tool for your conveyance, and you remember all the scrapes and bruises of having to master it and the sense of accomplishment sets in.

People with squares in their chart are good motivators for others, as well as good teachers, often.

The square aspect is the stuff of astrology - the cardinal angles in the chart. How you get from one quadrant of the chart to the next.

Last edited: