Thomas Merton. Catholic Monk. Christian Mystic.

piercethevale

I read a few books by Merton some years ago. His name came up today on Facebook and I'd like to share what I wrote to a friend there. [I do so recommend "Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander" as to a good introductory biographical account of and by Thomas for reading.]

Thomas made a most profound observation in the early 1960's: [from wiki] "During his long years at Gethsemani Merton changed from the passionately inward-looking young monk of The Seven Storey Mountain, to a more contemplative writer and poet. Merton became well known for his dialogues with other faiths and his non-violent stand during the race riots and Vietnam War of the 1960s.

By the 1960s, he had arrived at a broadly human viewpoint, one deeply concerned about the world and issues like peace, racial tolerance, and social equality. He had developed a personal radicalism which had political implications but was not based on ideology, rooted above all in non-violence. He regarded his viewpoint as based on "simplicity" and expressed it as a Christian sensibility. His New Seeds of Contemplation was published in 1961. In a letter to a Latin-American Catholic writer, Ernesto Cardenal, Merton wrote: "The world is full of great criminals with enormous power, and they are in a death struggle with each other. It is a huge gang battle, using well-meaning lawyers and policemen and clergymen as their front, controlling papers, means of communication, and enrolling everybody in their armies."

Last edited:

piercethevale

It was a 'Friend' at Facebook that used a quote by Merton the other day that got me into thinking about Thomas' writings and as I haven't read or thought of Him since before I became able to access the 'Internet' I had to take some time to read what more I could learn of the man other than what I knew from his writings that were somewhat auto-biographical...so, basically all I knew of Merton was what transpired in His life up to around 1950 or so.
I found that He died by "accident" in Dec. 1968. This is copied from wikipedia:

"On December 10, 1968, Merton had gone to attend an interfaith conference between Catholic and non-Christian monks in suburban Bangkok, Thailand. While stepping out of his bath, he reached out to adjust an electric fan and apparently touched an exposed wire and was accidentally electrocuted. He died 27 years to the day after his entrance into the Abbey of Gethsemani in 1941. His body was flown back to the United States and he is buried at Gethsemani Abbey."

...Accident...huh...hmmmmmm.
I ain't buying it...any more than two other deaths that year were accidents...those of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy.
Considering the quote I posted above by Merton pertaining to the "Powers That Be" and that He had become and was becoming a recognized, and notable, ever larger voice of dissidence, reason and sanity...a recognized spokesperson for a new age humanism that was growing so rapidly and infectiously during those years...I think it is very, very likely that Merton was just one more on "The List"...if so...then this is one time in my life I truly do hope there is a HELL...and the responsible parties get a confirmed reservation.

Last edited:

piercethevale

I've been scrolling through the archives this evening looking for a thread I had that I some posted some photos in...no luck so far, but I found this thread, and doing so, I thought that I might mention that since the last post I made about five and a half years ago I have found that there is an ever growing number of people that also believe that Thomas' death was actually an assassination.

I hope the trend continues as to get Him recognized as the true Christian martyr that He was.

He died in the hope and for the belief that He could bring some degree of peace to the world.

Let not his sacrifice be forgotten or in vain. Pray for peace daily.
Thank you, ptv

Opal

Premium Member
https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/thomas-merton-the-monk-who-became-a-prophet

"Joy. We left the ground—I with Christian mantras and a great sense of destiny, of being at last on my true way after years of waiting and wondering and fooling around. . . . May I not come back without having settled the great affair. And found also the great compassion, mahakaruna . . . I am going home, to the home where I have never been in this body."

He wrote this the year he died. Do you think he knew of his impending death?

piercethevale

https://www.newyorker.com/books/under-review/thomas-merton-the-monk-who-became-a-prophet

"Joy. We left the ground—I with Christian mantras and a great sense of destiny, of being at last on my true way after years of waiting and wondering and fooling around. . . . May I not come back without having settled the great affair. And found also the great compassion, mahakaruna . . . I am going home, to the home where I have never been in this body."

Wonderful article, thanks for sharing.
Why? Because He was becoming such a recognized voice against the Machine.
He was not so stupid as to grab the bare wires of an electrical fan while standing in bathwater..

My friend is okay, it was just a diabetic episode that the heat here contributed to.

Opal

Premium Member

The pink line, the last line.....I was wondering if home was the end.....and if he was seeing his.......

I have not read much poetry.....a friend of mine in Forum land is, and we discuss his lovely choices.....the above stanza, makes me think that he knew of his impending death.....home is death.....once his great affair was settled......he was going home to where he had never been in this body.....

but, I am not a great poetry decipherer......it is just what I read, or read into it.....

I am glad to hear that your friend is well......