Should I learn to play Guitar?

poyi

Premium Member
Hi all,

I always wanted to learn to play musical instrument purely for entertainment and as hobby for the soul. When I was a kid we didn't have enough money. So I used to learn and play Trombone when I was in high school that was free of charge, used arm and as wind blowing instrument. Originally, I wanted to play Saxophone but no position for it so ended up with Trombone which is related to the arms and lungs. I had really great time with it. Then later was in choir for about 6 years, practiced each week and performed each week at church again that is to do with the lungs Gemini and Mercury arms again as we hold the folder with scripts in it when we sing.

I saw there is guitar for student learning on sale on the weekly advertisement paper. I was thinking will I be good at it if I decided to learn? One thing that I concerned about it might be painful to practice as you have to press on the chords. From previous experiences, I only have experiences on wind blowing instrument and singing. This Horary chart had demonstrated my thoughts but not sure how to read it accurately myself.

Myself is Gemini Ascendant, Scorpio Mercury Rx placed in 5th 5 orbs to conjunction to Saturn in Scorpio. 5th house Ruler Mars placed in 3rd house Virgo again ruled by Mercury Rx. There is no major aspect between Mars and Mercury, but both ascendant and Mars related to Mercury and Mercury Rx placed in creativity house, but in retrograde. Moon is in Cancer 1st house, Moon sextile Mars, Saturn, North node. Part of fortune sextile Venus. It seem positive. Moon is also the ruler of 2nd house the house of talent. Both my father and sister had played traditional Chinese string instruments in the past but just as hobby not daily which is also odd as my father also used to play trombone. Trombone is ruled by Venus and Mercury according to Rex E. Hills, while Guitar is Venus and Neptune.

Hopefully members can share your thoughts about this.

Will I enjoy this hobby? and will I be good at it?

astro_2gw_273_should_i_learn_to_play_guitar.45874.849.jpg

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
I actually miss playing trombone with people a lot!!! We played Phantom of the Opera before that was my favorite.

Very comforting piece of performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z00PkPXnKGc

This is Bohemian Rhapsody played by 4 trombonists. Beautiful powerful human like tones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIgPIGUQ8yY

Listening to all these beautiful performance, I really missed playing trombone!!:biggrin:

So unrelated to this topic :unsure:

Last edited:
There are mixed indicators, but I have the overall picture for you, as I see it:

1. Mercury (querent) is retrograde - some difficulty, a need to keep going over things again perhaps. Not going to be straight-forward at this time.
  2. Mercury conjunct Saturn and applying - again hard work requiring self-discipline and patience, but while it is not easy, it can lead to increasing mastery of the instrument.
  3. Fifth House Significator of hobbies and fun activities = Venus in the whole-sign house system - a natural ruler of the arts, so this is positive.
  4. Venus, Significator of playing guitar, is in 7th house in Sagittarius (whole-sign house system), suggesting positive outcomes, but perhaps more so from the social interaction (7th house), than from the ease of learning to play.
  5. Part of Fortune in 5th house (Whole-Sign House System) sextile Venus, suggesting a good experience learning to play in the class, but again more so from the social point of view (Venus, dispositor, in 7th house).
  6. Part of Accomplishment = 2 degrees Libra in 5th house (Whole-Sign House System), suggesting that while it won't be easy, you can eventually become accomplished in expressing yourself on guitar.
  7. Part of rectitude = 17 degrees Leo trine Venus, Significator of playing guitar, suggesting it is a good thing to do, particularly for the social interaction, and also if you are prepared for the hard work. But Part of rectitude is square Mercury Rx, your significator, suggesting not if you don't want the hard work.

So in summary, if you want to work hard and deal with frustration of learning to play, then go ahead, and with patience you will perservere. But the bigger benefit may be the social interaction of the right class. Look for classes that are upbeat and Jupiterian in feel if you decide to go ahead as you will want a fun and uplifting atmosphere, rather than a serious one.

Hope that helps!

poyi

Premium Member
Thank you very much for your time and explanation. It seems a lot clearer to me now this horary. I can only see it seem positive but as you said meeting with Saturn never going to be an easy job!. Interesting about the social interaction part. As I was prepared to learn at home by myself through online resources etc. Though I missed the time of playing with my schoolmates in the past, I don't think in practical point of view, be able to go out to join classes. I am very home based kind of person and my work is already tiring enough physically, I do need to be alone at home to retreat myself. At work I see far too many people already! Perhaps other kind of possible manifestations of the 7th house.

Jupiter is my natal 4th house, my Jupiter also in Sagittarius at IC while the Horary Ascendant is my natal 10th house/MC. I do sometime suspected the Horary truly reflecting the natal.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your time and explanation. It seems a lot clearer to me now this horary. I can only see it seem positive but as you said meeting with Saturn never going to be an easy job!. Interesting about the social interaction part. As I was prepared to learn at home by myself through online resources etc. Though I missed the time of playing with my schoolmates in the past, I don't think in practical point of view, be able to go out to join classes. I am very home based kind of person and my work is already tiring enough physically, I do need to be alone at home to retreat myself. At work I see far too many people already! Perhaps other kind of possible manifestations of the 7th house.

Jupiter is my natal 4th house, my Jupiter also in Sagittarius at IC while the Horary Ascendant is my natal 10th house/MC. I do something suspected the Horary truly reflecting the natal.

Some guitar classes can be taught interactively over Skype. That would be one way to give Venus resolution in the 7th house. But if you truly want to do it alone, then be prepared to work hard, and possibly to find someone to play to when you come out of your retreat.

mdinaz

This really isn't an astrology question. You are drawn to it, so learn. If you learn better in an instructive environment, hire someone to teach you. If you learn better on your own, get some basic books on chords, find some songs you like that are easy, and teach yourself. Like any skill, it takes practices and you'll only be as good as the effort you put into it (plus any natural talent, of course).

When I was 16 or so, I started to learn to play guitar, but I always found myself picking out the bass lines. I ended up buying a bass guitar instead and some days put in 8 hours a day of practice, just learning songs myself and playing them. Since then I've been in many bands, have been paid to play, played audiences up to 2000 people, and could be a professional if I chose to do so (I choose to eat instead). I've never had any formal instruction of any sort on any instrument. I did it because I wanted to. If you want to, do it. What your chart says is irrelevant.

poyi

Premium Member
Thank you for starlighteyes and mdinaz replies!

I love music and it was truly happy time when I was with music playing or singing. But I never have the dream of using such hobby to learn living as mdinaz thought. I am very practical in term of building a life on solid ground. I consider having a good stable career will give me the freedom for the things I truly wanted to do in private time which of course learning astrology as well, I only got the money to buy astrology books because of my stable career.

Thank you again for your responses! It will be years later till I get a bit of skills I think, if I do invest the time and effort into learning this. It has been few years now on and off thinking about learning to play something.

poyi

Premium Member
I bought myself the student guitar set yesterday as my early 30th birthday present, later learner but doing something different as the mark of age! I spent few hours to just get to know the acoustic guitar. I like both electric or acoustic guitar but as a player I will see myself having better time with classical guitar music (in natal is 1st Venus in Libra (ruler of 2nd) trine Moon in Capricorn in the 5th).

I learned to tone the strings and trying to remember the location of the majors and minors. One thing very odd which was I automatically picked up the guitar as a left handed player while myself is right handed. I tried to hold the guitar like what right handed player do but I just couldn't get comfortable comparing to holding it left handed. It might be the retrograde. Since I will need to learn everything upside down on a right handed guitar, that will explain the Mercury retrograde conjuncting Saturn. I do use my left hand a lot anyway as a right handed person, I often do different things with both hands in different unrelated manner at work so might just a nature thing to me.

I am very excited and hopefully with Mercury making trine to Jupiter will finally give me positive result in long run.

tikana

actualy the answer was YES but delays
moon sextiles Mars mars rules 5th house
merc is retro - delay
plus there is MR between mars and merc. I don't see a problem

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
The Horary is in different signs to my natal of course. But I also have Mars, Moon, Mercury configuration in natal chart, as Trine, Sextile but is Mars in Virgo in 1st trine Moon in Capricorn in 5th both sextile 3rd house Mercury in Scorpio. I find that very interesting!

tikana

back in a day a lot of people didn't even know when they were born so everything was based off their horaries.

Bck to the chart.. you asked SHOULD not WILL. answer was YES you should and you will with a delay. If you had asked WILL I, then you would end up having SHOULD and WILL aspects answered in 1 chart.

Slenkar

You are Saturn in the tenth
Are you thinking of making it a career?

Saturn has an opposition and a square, so I'm not sure if it will work out, I'm no expert though.

Slenkar

I found books to be pretty useless.

Free videos on youtube are too unfocused.

There are videos that you have to pay for from steve stine.

I have never tried them, but they SEEM like the best path.