male possessed by the anima

madame moon

Hi,

I've been researching the concept by Jung about males "possessed by the Anima." Jung says these men are overwhelmed by their emotions, cry too often, at minor events. Jung also describes these men as "impotent" who were "castrated" by their mothers often, causing them to lack personal willpower and drive. They are "tied to the mother's apron strings" and are often clingy and co-dependent. Essentially, their basic masculine principle or Animus is severely debilitated and cannot be expressed, which obviously points to pretty sever psychopathology. Hence, they are seen as failures in the world.

My background is in psychological counseling, and I've been studying charts of men whose diagnosis fits Jung's description of the Anima-possessed man.

I wanted to post one and see what people's thoughts on this were. If desired, I can give background info on the person...

Attachments

• astro_2gw_08_mama_s_boy.16407.10551.jpg
    astro_2gw_08_mama_s_boy.16407.10551.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 50

Blackempress

This is interesting to develop concepts by application of astrology. I'm not confident on the anima idea but this chart would definitely show a feminine man because of the Yin Sun, Moon & Ascendant. To top that off, he has Sun Sq Neptune & alot of 'softer' aspects throughout the chart. Maternal castration sounds evil to me though but I can imagine the person to be 'mother(hood)' obsessed due to the Asc + Moon Cancer. Definitely a family man with a strong sensitivity & need of approval from Pisces Mid-heaven.

Love to know the background & your application of the idea.

Last edited:

miquar

Hi. Two things jump out at me. Firstly, Moon and Cancer involved with Mars and Ascendant. Mars and Ascendant are connected with how we make an impact on our environment - how we assert who we are. The conjunction to the Moon in Cancer could reflect that the need to remain fused with either the real mother or an inner image of mother deflects the masculine quality of self-assertion.

The involvement of Jupiter could add to the dramatic quality associated with anima-possessed men.

Also Sun Mercury square Neptune is probably relevant too, perhaps reflecting that the father was weak and ineffectual and so did not serve as a good role model for individuation.

Moog

I like the 1, 2, 3 degrees on Moon/Jup/Mars

I think having the Moon and Jupiter and Mars weak and out front is probably a large part of it.

IleneK

Premium Member
Hi,

I've been researching the concept by Jung about males "possessed by the Anima." Jung says these men are overwhelmed by their emotions, cry too often, at minor events. Jung also describes these men as "impotent" who were "castrated" by their mothers often, causing them to lack personal willpower and drive. They are "tied to the mother's apron strings" and are often clingy and co-dependent. Essentially, their basic masculine principle or Animus is severely debilitated and cannot be expressed, which obviously points to pretty sever psychopathology. Hence, they are seen as failures in the world.

My background is in psychological counseling, and I've been studying charts of men whose diagnosis fits Jung's description of the Anima-possessed man.

I wanted to post one and see what people's thoughts on this were. If desired, I can give background info on the person...

As I recall, the anima-possessed man is one whose feminine component [astrologically, Moon and Venus] is not properly integrated into his psyche and expressed in his life. It is then the suppression of these feminine contents which causes the dark feminine to rise up unconsciously.

So what might cause Moon or Venus in a man's chart to fail to integrate comfortably into his conscious psyche? In this instance, one thing might be that the private Moon is exposed right out on the Ascendant. Quite different from its natural association with the deepest and most private point in the chart, the 4th house. So this native must wear his sensitive Cancer feelings on his shirtsleeve. And bellied right up against this sensitive and vulnerable Moon are loud-mouthed Jupiter and pushy Mars, two big guys in the neighborhood.

But I do not think that this, in and of itself, accounts for suppression of the feminine energy. I think we need to look to natal Uranus. By trine, Uranus adds its attribute of suddenness and surprise to the loud pushing and shoving of Jupiter and Mars. In aspect to Mars, it also adds a risk-taking component as well. I think this may be the breaking point for the Moon. Then the fait accompli comes from Uranus' unpredictable, blind-siding square to Venus.

These are not affirming, pleasant feminine energy experiences. And when they well up from suppression in the unconscious, they have become the dark feminine, on par with Medusa. In a male chart, we see why there may be problems with the archetypal feminine.

[with my apologies to Mars and Jupiter for their one-dimensional and extreme descriptions; it was illustrative purposes only :)]

miquar

This is a quote from Relating, by Liz Greene: (pages 166/167)

"...a real macho man and the mincing queen may share virtually identical elements in psychological composition - in consequence each will predictably despise the other. There is a central psychological constellation expressing itself, as such energies do, through a pair of apparent opposites."

Anachiel

Hi,

Jung also said that each component of the psyche, the shadow, the anima, the animus, one's Self all had both a dark and an evolved expression. Clearly, the person you are presenting has not learned how to give proper expression to his anima and, certainly, that is the task of the councellor.

In this chart with the Moon and Jupiter conjoined in the ASC, the Moon in her rule and Jupiter exalted; this is an VERY intelligent and intuitive person. And, then trebled with Mars.....it's a severe shame this person was surrounded by those who did not appreciate his talents for they are many!

There isn't a thing wrong with this person except learning better responses. Of course, who could teach him that in this iinsensitive world..people probably didn't even understand his abilities and talents. Hopefully you do.

Anachiel

Something else oocured to me, this person is probably very attractive or, could be. That is quite a powerful conjunction in the ASC and they would, at the very least, have great charisma naturally.

Also, unless this person is surrounding themselves with debased people, underachiever (as opposed to content with the present), unfortunate with friendships, etc. I am not sure I would say they are possessed of the anima. it would be something else that is going on as far as the psychological name-calling goes.

If you think about it, being possessed of the anima only looks SO wierd in this day and age because most people are possessed of the anima. People throughout chistiandom have always despised and misunderstood anything anima.

This reminds me the orisha Erzulie who's [human] daughters and son's (especially) are sensitive, cry a lot, etc. I find extremely piquant that in tribal cultures such as the Native American and African, that they do not consider people to HAVE mental disorders. They just look at them as being different and having differing roles and functions and really make no issue of it. Strangely, they also have/had less mental disorders whereas, here and now, in our culture, everyone is on a pill or has been given a three or four letter psychological name-called persona.

The rising house is cancer along with the moon in the first. Seventh is where masculinity is going to be more likely to be perceived. Essentially, the Yin part of this person is what they most relate to, and are comfortable with. This person is being purged in Libra, and there is a very good chance that means they are going to learn how to balance feminine and masculine even in a relationship form.