Do I pay attention to asteroids?

chiron

I know they say natal planets would have more of an effect on you compared to asteroids, but Juno has 7 aspects in my chart I can't help but pay attention to it. Are there cases where you should pay attention to asteroids?

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Hi Chiron,
Sure there are.I would still give the planets priority but I know from experience how Chiron can work so I always include it in my Natal delineations now.
If you have an asteroid involving many aspects (not minor aspects, and use very small orbs), I'm sure you will find relevant clues about your life being described in your chart.
Asteroids do not cast rays so their influence is different to that of planets that do.
Cheers
Lilly.

starlink

In your case, Chiron, I would most certainly pay attention to that Juno of yours. It is a known fact that it has a lot to do with Marriage and Divorce, according to the aspects being made by it. So if you say that your Juno has many aspects, I suppose that this Juno will be activated more than once by various other planets. Especially the slow moving ones could influence this Juno and the relationship situations related to it. So keep an eye on those.

I never used to pay attention to asteroids, until I found one sitting right on my sun that explained SO MUCH about myself and my life. There's so many of them, so going through them to see which are important for you can be daunting, but well worth it if you have the time. An asteroid can have an effect if it makes many aspects within your chart (only the majors - conjunction, sextile, square, trine, and opposition, with more emphasis on the conjunction/square/opposition, and orbs of 2 degrees or less), if it's with an important planet in your chart or hitting an important point . . . the real question is, do you believe Juno is important for you? Read up on Juno (it's one of the more talked about asteroids so there's lots of information out there) and see if the Juno energy resonates with you.

Pallas-trine-Mars

I use the asteroids roughly as equals to the bigger planets, though I'm still studying them. I think one or more of them might even have the potential to be recognized as ruler of one or more of the signs sharing a traditional rulership.

Don't bother trivializing size because if you do when you become more advanced you'll find yourself with the dilemma of tiny Pluto being equal to the Sun: Think the largest building you'd ever seen next to a person's shoe and you have an approximation. When it comes to determining what's important there's nothing to be done but to actually take the time to find out what works and what doesn't.

Asteroids do not cast rays so their influence is different to that of planets that do.
Cheers
Lilly.
If by that you mean they don't make strong aspects I have to partly disagree, see my thread:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11035

I'm with Starlink, I see Juno as a more serious Venus. Venus is about fun; Amorous, shallow unions based on chance encounters and lust, they feel romantic and intense but this is just a feeling, it might not last once you've gotten to know each other better or have even one disagreement (unless perhaps Neptune helps you idealize the person or Pluto makes you jealous of losing them), so she easily goes from one relationship to the next and she's the anti-feminist in just about everyway.

Juno is different, a bit more refined, a bit more self-secured, she has a talent for putting on a charming facade for the public even if she's really upset at someone. She's herself, but she also is analytical about what involved parties are doing in a relationship for each other. I compare Venus and Juno because it's almost impossible not to since of course Venus has always been Goddess of Romance and now Juno has been labelled Asteroid of Marriage after the Queen of the God.

Asteroids have their own representation that prior to our understanding of them might've been unfairly attributed to another planet, for instance I accept that Venus rules Libra and probably the 7th house, but for the reasons I explained above I don't see her as ruling marriage, perhaps some of the things that lead up to it, but not marriage itself like a more traditionally thinking astrologer might say (could be that Aries is on her 7th), however I do see how Juno relates to the role of a spouse, another example is Chiron, before it was discovered I don't think their was anything in astrology that related to the counselor role like it does.

Heath Ledger, Norah Jones, Keshia Knight Pulliam all have Juno pretty close to their Aries Suns. Michael Jackson and Mother Teresa however are 2 pretty interesting cases with Juno combust in Virgo, considering how relationships were for Michael and Mother Teresa being a nun. And I myself have Juno close to my ascendant.

Juno on the ascendant people

Last edited:
Hey Chiron,

Many astrologers, both professional and amateur, ignore asteroids. They are very small, and little is known about their true influence, as so few case-studies have actually been done. Moreover, many astrologers believe that asteroids with there being so many of them, are sort of pointless specs which can be used (and abused) to explain extremely heavy topics, or, even worse, put off a “real” chart reading altogether! I will agree, though I use asteroids, most issues are better saved for a thoughtful and intense analysis of the planetary bodies such as the planets and the Sun, rather than asteroids. Having the asteroid “karma” in the 6th house will not explain one’s sickness from childhood. The benefit of using planetary bodies to explore issues as opposed to asteroids, is their long-standing history of use, and their widely-received and accepted audience. Asteroids, by contrast are questionable sources, and so their use should be approached with caution.

That shared, I rely on a few methods when it comes to understanding asteroids’ meanings and their influence in a natal chart. In our time here on Earth, and in terms of our spiritual evolvement, generations after generations have turned to the stars for guidance. We have found meaning through the stars, and over time, our collective unconscious (the powerful underlying force which unites us) has bestowed more and more meaning into the stars, rendering the stars powerful conduits of our spiritual awareness. I believe that the social collective unconscious creates meaning through the celestial bodies, and not the other way around. That is to say, the stars compel, they do not impel. I believe that there is always free-will and that we create our own destiny.

You do not, however, need to believe that. I was simply indicating how I came to understand asteroids and am able to provide this forum with an interpretation of their meanings. I simply look at the myth surrounding the names of recognizable asteroids, and drew conclusions as to the myth’s importance in our current society, and then created my interpretation. If the asteroid does not have a myth, or the myth does not seem to pan out in this day and age to have any thematic importance, I ignore it.

Lastly, my interpretations are done with natal charts in mind. These can extend to transits, progressions, and synastry. I would not feel comfortable using asteroids in solar arcs, composites, or horaries (though some may feel differently). I recommend no larger than a 3 degree orb for asteroids when contacting natal planets (and I would ignore minor aspects altogether, though again, some may feel differently), with a 1 degree orb being recommended, especially when dealing with midpoints. Aspects between asteroids are negligible, unless of course, it is connected to more significant aspects, such as Sun conjunct Pallas Athena Trine Pluto conjunct Vesta. Asteroids, moreover, are a like a garnish or a seasoning to the chart; they do stand alone. Therefore, I recommend you treat them as small, sensitive points, which further tell a story about aspects (or lack of aspects) already present in the natal chart. For example, I have no planets in Taurus, nor any planets in the houses ruled by Venus, so when an asteroid showed up there (it was Vesta), I paid some attention to that, wondering what Vesta could tell me in the absence of anything else, or why Vesta in particular, was there.

mod.