How does dignity affect aspects

What effect does the dignity of the planets involved have on an aspect? So I am looking, for example, at my Venus in Taurus (Domicile) opposite my Scorpio Moon (Fall), or my Aries Sun (exalt) conjunct Mars (Domicile).

Are the aspects strengthened by both planets being in domicile/exalt positions? What if both planets were in detriment/fall? And what is the effect of having an aspect between two planets that are in opposite dignity positions, like domicile & fall? Does it make the aspect weaker overall? Or less stable?

Oppositions are hard enough for me to make sense of anyway, but this adds a layer.

greybeard

What effect does the dignity of the planets involved have on an aspect? So I am looking, for example, at my Venus in Taurus (Domicile) opposite my Scorpio Moon (Fall), or my Aries Sun (exalt) conjunct Mars (Domicile).

Are the aspects strengthened by both planets being in domicile/exalt positions? What if both planets were in detriment/fall? And what is the effect of having an aspect between two planets that are in opposite dignity positions, like domicile & fall? Does it make the aspect weaker overall? Or less stable?

Oppositions are hard enough for me to make sense of anyway, but this adds a layer.

Try translating each planet into its character-trait (psychological, behavioral, etc.) common-language descriptions before attacking the combinations.

Use your dictionary to understand fall, exaltation, descension better.

Lin

Nothing can modify aspects unless there are more powerful aspects to the pattern.

An opposition is always an opposition. Its dynamic remains the same no matter what.

Etc.
This question is why astrologers do NOT like vague or unspecific questions about a specific chart. Everything depends upon the entire chart - a chart is a person's whole life. So it must be read holistically.
LIN

waybread

An opposition will often give you a see-saw effect, where you will alternate between the symbolism of the involved planets. Alternatively, you might emphasize just one side of the opposition, leaving the other side poorly developed. With one planet much stronger than the other, you might emphasize the strong planet.

The key is to find ways to synthesize the opposing planets' meanings in a constructive way.

I don't necessarily view a Scorpio planet as "weak," however. A lot depends upon what else happens to it in your chart.

With sun conjunct Mars in Aries, I think you have the soul of a warrior or athlete.

Lin

"An opposition will often give you a see-saw effect, where you will alternate between the symbolism of the involved planets. Alternatively, you might emphasize just one side of the opposition, leaving the other side poorly developed. With one planet much stronger than the other, you might emphasize the strong planet."

I absolutely agree with this and think it's a great explanation....except I would take out the word "often" and replace it with "always."

The key is to understand BOTH sides of the dynamic. Otherwise one side will always take over or the person will be forever confused. Once both sides are conscious then the choices become clear....even if we don't like the idea of making a choice.

LIN