Edward Snowden

greybeard

On or about 10 June 2013 (probably sometime between February and mid-May), Snowden released information revealing a massive electronic surveillance program undertaken by the U.S. government called PRISM which collected phone and internet records of virtually every American citizen to The Guardian. He then fled to Hong Kong sometime in May 2013.

In the natal chart, Sun’s sign position changes from Gemini to Cancer at 1909 EDT. Moon’s daily motion is 12°44’; she is without doubt in Scorpio, between 10°53’ and 23°42’. She is slow of course. Mercury plays a key and dominant role in the life due to his position in the whole-chart pattern, as well as dominance by rulership. Mars is partile conjunct the North Node, and opposes Neptune who is only 3° past the South Node, in Common signs which are predominant in this chart. Mercury opposes the retrograde conjunction of Jupiter-Uranus in Sagittarius. This opposition should be given importance in interpretation because it involves the two planets, Mercury and Jupiter, who dispose all other planets, as well as directly ruling the “rim” signs/planets of the Bowl Pattern. Mercury is the stronger, more influential of the two, (not considering mundane position) but we note that he is in the terms of Jupiter, while Jupiter is in his own terms. The chart has a strong retrograde preponderance, with all of the outer heavy bodies (5) in retrograde motion; the personal planets are rather sharply set off from the social/collective by position and motion.

His father is an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, his mother a clerk for the U.S. District Court in Baltimore. The family moved from North Carolina to Maryland in 1999. While there Snowden studied computing, did not finish the course work, but later earned a GED.

On 7 May 2004 he joined the U.S. Army with hopes of entering Special Forces. However, he was discharged on 28 September due to a training accident in which he broke both legs. His next employment was as a National Security Agency (NSA) security guard for a covert facility at the University of Maryland, before joining the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to work on IT security. He said on a website that he wanted to join the CIA so that he could travel abroad. In 2007 he was stationed, with diplomatic cover, in Geneva, where he was responsible for computer network security. He has a long history of involvement in computer gaming and anime. In 2009 Snowden left the CIA for employment with a private contractor at a U.S. military base in Japan. He earned a “very comfortable” living, with a salary in the neighborhood of $200,000.

The Guardian describes him as passionate about privacy, concerned with internet freedom. His politics have been third party; he contributed to the campaign of Ron Paul.

Regarding the disclosure of PRISM, Snowden first made contact with the documentary film maker Laura Poitras in January 2013. She is a board member of The Freedom of the Press Foundation. Through her, he came into contact with Glenn Greenwald, a correspondent for The Guardian. Greenwald says he has been working with Snowden since February. Barton Gellman, writing for the Washington Post, says that his first direct contact was on 16 May, and that Greenwald was only involved after the Post failed to guarantee publication of the information provided by Snowden within 72 hours.

Snowden communicated using encrypted email, using the codename "Verax", meaning truth-teller in Latin. He asked not to be quoted at length for fear of identification by semantic analysis. According to Gellman, prior to their first meeting in person, Snowden wrote, "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions, and that the return of this information to the public marks my end." Snowden also told Gellman that until the articles were published, the journalists working with him would also be at risk from the U.S. intelligence community, whom Snowden said "will most certainly kill you if they think you are the single point of failure that could stop this disclosure and make them the sole owner of this information." The Washington Post reported that the motive behind the disclosure was to expose the "surveillance state" that he felt the United States was becoming.
Snowden and his girlfriend vacated their residence in Hawaii on 1 May, “leaving nothing behind.” Snowden had obtained medical leave from his current employer to receive treatment for his epilepsy. On 20 May he flew to Hong Kong. The PRISM revelations were published 6 June 2013 by both the Post and the Guardian. His identity was made public at his request on 9 June.

I think it is interesting, and not "coincidental", that this affair coincides in time with the trial of Bradley Manning and the exile of Julian Assange.

Attachments

• Edward Snowden.jpg
    Edward Snowden.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

JUPITERASC

On or about 10 June 2013 (probably sometime between February and mid-May), Snowden released information revealing a massive electronic surveillance program undertaken by the U.S. government called PRISM which collected phone and internet records of virtually every American citizen to The Guardian. He then fled to Hong Kong sometime in May 2013.

In the natal chart, Sun’s sign position changes from Gemini to Cancer at 1909 EDT. Moon’s daily motion is 12°44’; she is without doubt in Scorpio, between 10°53’ and 23°42’. She is slow of course. Mercury plays a key and dominant role in the life due to his position in the whole-chart pattern, as well as dominance by rulership. Mars is partile conjunct the North Node, and opposes Neptune who is only 3° past the South Node, in Common signs which are predominant in this chart. Mercury opposes the retrograde conjunction of Jupiter-Uranus in Sagittarius. This opposition should be given importance in interpretation because it involves the two planets, Mercury and Jupiter, who dispose all other planets, as well as directly ruling the “rim” signs/planets of the Bowl Pattern. Mercury is the stronger, more influential of the two, (not considering mundane position) but we note that he is in the terms of Jupiter, while Jupiter is in his own terms. The chart has a strong retrograde preponderance, with all of the outer heavy bodies (5) in retrograde motion; the personal planets are rather sharply set off from the social/collective by position and motion.

His father is an officer in the U.S. Coast Guard, his mother a clerk for the U.S. District Court in Baltimore. The family moved from North Carolina to Maryland in 1999. While there Snowden studied computing, did not finish the course work, but later earned a GED.

On 7 May 2004 he joined the U.S. Army with hopes of entering Special Forces. However, he was discharged on 28 September due to a training accident in which he broke both legs. His next employment was as a National Security Agency (NSA) security guard for a covert facility at the University of Maryland, before joining the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to work on IT security. He said on a website that he wanted to join the CIA so that he could travel abroad. In 2007 he was stationed, with diplomatic cover, in Geneva, where he was responsible for computer network security. He has a long history of involvement in computer gaming and anime. In 2009 Snowden left the CIA for employment with a private contractor at a U.S. military base in Japan. He earned a “very comfortable” living, with a salary in the neighborhood of $200,000.

The Guardian describes him as passionate about privacy, concerned with internet freedom. His politics have been third party; he contributed to the campaign of Ron Paul.

Regarding the disclosure of PRISM, Snowden first made contact with the documentary film maker Laura Poitras in January 2013. She is a board member of The Freedom of the Press Foundation. Through her, he came into contact with Glenn Greenwald, a correspondent for The Guardian. Greenwald says he has been working with Snowden since February. Barton Gellman, writing for the Washington Post, says that his first direct contact was on 16 May, and that Greenwald was only involved after the Post failed to guarantee publication of the information provided by Snowden within 72 hours.

Snowden communicated using encrypted email, using the codename "Verax", meaning truth-teller in Latin. He asked not to be quoted at length for fear of identification by semantic analysis. According to Gellman, prior to their first meeting in person, Snowden wrote, "I understand that I will be made to suffer for my actions, and that the return of this information to the public marks my end." Snowden also told Gellman that until the articles were published, the journalists working with him would also be at risk from the U.S. intelligence community, whom Snowden said "will most certainly kill you if they think you are the single point of failure that could stop this disclosure and make them the sole owner of this information." The Washington Post reported that the motive behind the disclosure was to expose the "surveillance state" that he felt the United States was becoming.
Snowden and his girlfriend vacated their residence in Hawaii on 1 May, “leaving nothing behind.” Snowden had obtained medical leave from his current employer to receive treatment for his epilepsy. On 20 May he flew to Hong Kong. The PRISM revelations were published 6 June 2013 by both the Post and the Guardian. His identity was made public at his request on 9 June.

I think it is interesting, and not "coincidental", that this affair coincides in time with the trial of Bradley Manning and the exile of Julian Assange.
Even more interesting to have a reliable known time of birth for Edward Snowden who most tellingly is aged twenty-nine and therefore due for a first Saturn Return - his birthday is soon - in only eight days time Edward Snowden shall be thirty years of age :smile:

'....Edward Joseph Snowden born 21 June 1983 is an American former technical contractor and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) employee who worked as a contractor for the National Security Agency (NSA) before disclosing details of a classified NSA spy program to the press. Snowden shared classified material on top-secret NSA programs including the PRISM surveillance program with The Guardian and The Washington Post, both of whom published their first exposés in June 2013. Snowden said his disclosure of PRISM and FISA orders related to NSA data capture efforts was an effort to expose what he believes is excessive government surveillance of the American people....'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

Not unexpectedly Edward Snowden has many allegations being made against him

WHY EDWARD SNOWDEN IS SPILLING US SECRETS TO CHINA http://theweek.com/article/index/245571/why-edward-snowden-is-spilling-us-secrets-to-china

Zarathu

Account Closed
He doesn't have the credentials nor the age necessary for the jobs he is supposed to have had. This dude is clearly a nut case, and the internet has fanned the flames of his craziness.

greybeard

Hmmm.....Einstein was a patent-clerk of 25, not a professor of physics, when he published his Special Theory. Albert was known to have wild hair and wear different socks -- probably due to riding trains and beams of light and other high-tech sports of his day.

Does it seem significant that the CIA would hire a man with a GED and no real career history, then send him to Geneva under diplomatic cover to handle computer security? The young men piloting deadly drones are often lacking credentials, but grew up in the cyberworld.

What does this horoscope imply?

Last edited:

IleneK

Premium Member
I feel like Cinderella returning from the ball after I have read your analyses like this one. Many thanks!

aquarius7000

Hi,

I have to agree with Greybeard completely on the credentials' bit.

Also, alone a Gem Sun says almost nothing.:)The guy has a stellium in Gem, and he has many other 'nutty' pointers - like the provocative and alert Ura-Merc; also a lot of Pluto aspects to help him go deeper, than most of us, and dig the dirt out.

:)AQ7

greybeard

I disagree with the "stellium"....First, we can't be sure of sun's sign. About 80% chance of Gemini, but.... Second, and this is up to the individual astrologer, but I do not consider a grouping of planets in one sign to be a "stellium" (which implies an overwhelming preponderance of power in the life) unless there are 4 planets, and at least 2 of those must be other than Sun, Mercury or Venus (because these 3 so frequently share a sign.) The Nodes should not be counted in evaluating a stellium, because the lunar nodes are not BODIES, as planets are, but abstract (although real) points -- the point of intersection of two planes.

The stellium is a planetary formation, akin to a grand cross or grand trine (and others). But unlike the trine and opposition, which bring with them a symmetry and balance or equilibrium, the stellium (it is a "grand conjunction") carries weight. It is lopsided; all the energies are in one place. The conjunction (and the "grand conjunction" moreso) denotes focus, self-absorption, and impact. The simple presence of a stellium (whether seen as an aspect formation in a horoscope, or the actual influence of the person having this formation) means that there is impact. The "weight" of the personality, in and of itself, is formidable. It is a Presence. Wherever the stellium is found there is exceptional emphasis. A stellium reveals a horoscopic emphasis on both quadrature and triplicity. The cosmic cross and the grand trine emphasize only one of these, not both. This is why (in my opinion) we must require 4 planets, not 3, to label a configuration a "stellium", and at least 2 of these should be exterior planets.

What this particular chart shows (allowing Sun in Gemini) is a balancing of 3 planets against 3 others. Mercury rules one bunch, Jupiter the other. (Mercury is in the terms of Jupiter, and Jupiter is in his own terms.) I take this to be an emphasis of Quadrature more than of a single sign; the Common signs dominate the personality. It is the Gemini/Sagittarius polarity that is given a predominant role in the whole chart. This in itself warns us against proclaiming a Gemini stellium; the weighting or "lopsidedness" is not present here.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi,
I disagree with the "stellium"....First, we can't be sure of sun's sign.....The Nodes should not be counted in evaluating a stellium, because the lunar nodes are not BODIES, as planets are, but abstract (although real) points -- the point of intersection of two planes.
Well, IMO, a stellium is when 3 personal planets are there in a sign, which is not often the case. Hence, when this is the case, it accentuates enough the energy of a sign.
The Node was not counted by myself, either, and I do not recommend it either, but three - personal - planets, yes, signify a stellium.

What this particular chart shows (allowing Sun in Gemini) is a balancing of 3 planets against 3 others. Mercury rules one bunch, Jupiter the other. (Mercury is in the terms of Jupiter, and Jupiter is in his own terms.) I take this to be an emphasis of Quadrature more than of a single sign; the Common signs dominate the personality. It is the Gemini/Sagittarius polarity that is given a predominant role in the whole chart. This in itself warns us against proclaiming a Gemini stellium; the weighting or "lopsidedness" is not present here.
I'm afraid I disagree with the chart not being lopsided, as per the explanation given. Why? Since there is a huge difference between having 3 - personal - planets in a sign, completely regardless of the sign; in comparison to having - outer/impresonal - planets in a/the opposite sign.

In the relevant case, the sagittarian energy in no way outdoes the personal Gem energy. Just my opinion. The opposition, yes, that matters, but due to the planets involved. Of course, the sign even of the outer planets need not be ignored (otherwise we wouldn't have the opposition), but energy of Sagittarius in no way is - on a personal level - as strong for the native (going by sign strength in that way) as the Gem energy.

:)AQ7

dr. farr

In the estimated birth time chart, what jumps out to me is Mercury opposition Jupiter (although at 7 degrees it stretches the orb a bit for me, my usual limit for oppositions being 6 degrees); taking Mercury to signify communications, and Jupiter to signify conventional established government, we quickly see a conflict between the two in the Mercury/Jupiter opposition; maybe that's one of the underlying "trend" reasons why government snooping on communications, bothered Snowden so much that he used Mercury (the media) to expose the government (Jupiter) regarding this matter?

Last edited:

greybeard

Aquarius, no criticism of you or your methods/views intended. I stated my view and my reasons. I think you know you have my respect, and if you didn't know...I just said so.

And finally, we have an astrologer who talks of the astrology of the case. Thank you Dr Farr.

We have a lot of very interesting astrology in this chart, which due to the nature of the native's actions and their possible repercussions has captured my attention.

I haven't gone into any interpretation at all yet. I thought it better to begin with analysis of the chart (It's what I do anyway; with so much Taurus in my chart I am slow and plodding, cautious and methodical, and a bit boring....oh well).

I hope someone finds the birth time. This would then become a very profitable study chart.

Although the chances of Sun being in Gemini are right at 80% (meaning we can say Sun in Gemini at about 4:1 odds), it struck me when I first noticed the change of sign that Cancer in a way seems appropriate. That would bring Sun under the disposition of Moon, in the secretive sign of Scorpio, and Cancer's association with home and homeland, strongly protective nature and so on just seem to me to fit. But I learned my lesson about speculations that can't be verified many moons ago; I'm not going there and will for now take the 80%.

Oh, the orb of Mercury-Jupiter. Jupiter is conjunct Uranus and rules him, and Uranus is clearly within allowable orb of opposition to Mercury. Also, Jupiter holds affinity with Mercury by term -- perhaps not a strong factor but still supportive of a relationship between them. Furthermore, each of the planets is in domicile, and these sorts of things attract my attention. As I've said before, I tend to accept wide orbs at the beginnng of analysis, then use things like these to adjust them. In this case I have no trouble with these two primary players (between the two, and allowing for chains of disposition, they rule every planet in the chart. Mercury is exceptionally strong due to position in the whole-chart pattern of planetary distribution -- something many astrologers pay little attention to, but which I place a primary importance on. My analysis of any chart is very largely based on its structure. I believe that the structure of the horoscope is precisely equivalent to the structure of the personality, which is determinant of the destiny.)

So, we read what little we have of a curriculum vitae for Edward Snowden, and we see a pattern of restlessness, instability, and impatience with convention. He didn’t finish high school, and somewhere I saw a comment he made regarding the educational system, which I didn’t include in his biography, to the effect that the system had “arched its spiny back against me.” He enrolled in community college and didn’t finish the course. He entered the Army and soon after was discharged (accidents are seldom accidental – the unconscious mind is quite adept at getting what it wants.) He seems to have changed jobs often. His impatience with and disdain for the ordinary and conventional is apparent in what will probably be the single key decision of his life. He used the name “Verax,” Latin for truth, in his communications with The Washington Post.

Mercury opposes Uranus. Uranus, as we know, often displays a concern for “truth,” whether it be some absolute truth or our own version of it. Uranus is very powerful in the chart of Hitler, and opposes Mercury, and his “truth” was the supremacy of the Aryan race and degenerate Jewry. His life, to a large extent, turned on preaching this truth. As mentioned, Mercury is probably the single most powerful planet in Snowden's chart, and therefore aspects to or from it must be given special attention.

The opposition to Uranus, although separating, is the closest and strongest major aspect to Mercury in this chart; as a matter of fact, apart from the earlier opposition to Jupiter, it is the only major aspect to Mercury in the chart. However, Mercury does apply to a sesquicuadrate with Pluto and Saturn (within degree of Pluto), and although it is a minor aspect, the application, the tight orb, the combined powers of the Saturn-Pluto conjunction make this a very important and powerful influence in the chart (because the aspect is to Mercury.)

If Mercury is so important in this chart (it is), then maybe we should stop and examine Mercury. Mercury represents the “rational mind.” The Moon is “the other half” of the mind: unconscious, irrational, instinctive, strongly attached, deeply rooted, dark and mysterious.... Mercury, as the rational mind, is concerned with reason and logic, operates in a detached manner, is amoral, objective, adroit, conscious and crafty. If these two symbols, together, are representative of the mind, then we should be able to form a good description of any individual’s mind, perceptions, basic intelligence, mental orientation and so on by close examination and comparison of the two planets. In this chart the Moon is slow of course, and Mercury rises ahead of the Sun. I will keep it short and sweet: this indicates a balanced mind, one whose way of handling life’s experiences and over-all mental outlook functions smoothly. We can learn even more by comparing the qualities of the signs occupied by Moon and Mercury. We keep in mind that the signs show us essential, or inherent, qualities. If Snowden was born before about 4am, there exists a quincunx within orb. Mercury rises ahead of the Sun and is not under the sunbeams. The mind is curious, oriented toward the future, is not controlled by emotional pressures (is detached and objective) and leads the native into life experience (which it does in spades here, because of its position as leading planet of the bowl pattern.) Mercury has a high declination (20°25’), and is in contra-parallel with Uranus and Jupiter. [Sun, Mars, and Neptune also share this high declination and parallels, because Gemini and Sagittarius are featured...Sun is on the Summer Solstice.] High declination (that is, being far above or far below the equator – I use 17° as the demarcation between high and normal declination) is considered a minor accidental dignity, and symbolizes – among other things – an ability to see and react to things in an unusual or out-of-the-ordinary way. The native holds a very idiosyncratic, individual or personal perspective on the world. The contra-parallels to Jupiter and Uranus suggest that the mental processes are geared toward preparation for future contingency or adjustment. What the purposes and nature of the preparations will be is described by the oppositions to Jupiter-Uranus, but I won’t go into that here. Mercury is swift of course (d.m.=1°40’), also a minor accidental dignity, which might be taken to show a quick, energetic, active, nimble and direct mentality with tendencies toward impetuosity, the unexpected, fluidity, making rapid progress, being ahead of the pack, dissipation. Mercury, of course, depicts more than just the rational mind and these same ideas will apply to those things as well.

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

hahaha when I made the comment about Gemini Sun, it was mostly a joke but it's funny because it's true. There are very few Gemini Sun individuals out there that could keep their mouths shut or their fingers away from a keyboard for long. Gemini isn't the communicator of the zodiac for nothing.

I see his chart is of a strong individual and inclined to work on his own terms and be solo- he's not a team player.
I think the major part of his pathology is really the Sun/Mars trine Pluto aspects which outlines the ego and super ego in leagues with power and manipulation. I don't like Saturn conjunct Pluto... morality infused (and confused) with greater and darker ambitions. He has exalted Saturn but it's corrupted by Pluto. Did he blow the whistle for the greater good (Saturn) or were there more underlying shady motivations (Pluto)?

I agree with greybeard that Mercury opposite Uranus is explosive and can be very dangerous/devastating when it does erupt (at least on the informational level because it is dignified Mercury).

How he's managed to get his paws on so much important information is his Mars trine Saturn- authority views him as being upright/trusting and cooperative. I have that Mars-Saturn trine and I always appear as law abiding and cooperative, even if I can be a loose a cannon. People quickly trust me with important and personal information (off the bat even) and I have the power to use it against others, but I don't. In the case of Snowden, he used it against a system (government) because he absolutely disapproved of what that system has done to individuals.

Last edited:

princess valhalla

His birth certificate has been released! It was released on The Mountain Astrologer magazine facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mountain-Astrologer-magazine/112278112664

"Thanks to Eric Francis Coppolino and his staff for fetching Edward Snowden's birth data.
This is an iPhone photo of Edward Showden's birth certificate, obtained from the State of North Carolina. NC will release an uncertified copy of the birth record, even of a living person, for 10 cents and a self-addressed stamped envelope, so you can try it yourself."

Attachments

• Edward Snowden Birthcertificate.jpg
    Edward Snowden Birthcertificate.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 39

greybeard

Latest news releases say he has left Hong Kong bound for Moscow, and then perhaps on to Cuba or Venezuela.

He has left a lot of turbulence in his wake. The genie is out of the bottle.

Addendum: Right after I wrote this, the news came out that Snowden has applied for asylum in Ecuador, according to the Ecuadorian ambassador to Moscow. He is supposedly enroute to Ecuador, flying a "safe route" in company of Ecuadorian diplomats and Wikileaks legal counsel.

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

His real chart makes total sense! Personally, I hope he gets asylum. The USA government/Obama administration is extremely corrupt and in the WRONG and should get prosecuted and not Snowden.