William Lilly's Furlongs....anyone?

Vesta13

William Lilly states the following:

If the Moon be distant from the Significator of the Fugutive, either seventeen frulongs, from the Owner. If in Common signs, they are five furlongs distant from the Owner, if in fixed signs they are one furlong distant from the Owner. When there is a greater distance in Degrees, proportion your distance or place according to this rule.:eek:

I'm trying to determine the distance a fugitive might be from it's (owner). In my chart, the Moon is distant from Venus (significator of the Fugitive). The Moon is at 0 degrees 14 52 (in Capricorn in 2nd House) and Venus is at 21 degrees 31 25 (in Leo in 10th house). Do you subtract the degrees from Venus and the moon to get 21 degrees 17? And what is that in hours? days? months?

WHHHEWWWW!!! Heavy duty stuff!:cool: By the way..what's a furlong?

Thanks...anyone?

Vesta

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Chart please? I have a hard time envisioning what's going on by just what you put, if I have a hard time doing it then I'm sure others who can help you do too. There are many of us 'big picture' people around here. :D

By the way, Luna in Capricorn equals 1 furlong.

Vesta13

Hi Kaiousei no Senshi,
Here is the chart in which I am trying to determine distance..as per Lilly..

I'm trying to determine the distance a fugitive might be from it's (owner). In my chart, the Moon is distant from Venus (significator of the Fugitive). The Moon is at 0 degrees 14 52 (in Capricorn in 2nd House) and Venus is at 21 degrees 31 25 (in Leo in 10th house). Do you subtract the degrees from Venus and the moon to get 21 degrees 17? And what is that in hours? days? months?

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/9743/aug23kj8.gif

Many thanks,,,,and by the way..I may have found an astrology teacher looking to teach horary!!! So I'll be less disturbing with my questions!

Many thanks,
Vesta

archergirl

Hi Vesta13,

What exactly is the question? Lilly's rules are very flexible; he himself made 'adjustments' to his own rules depending on the context of the question, so there's nothing ever really concrete; it's all down to the question.

In Lilly's time, a furlong was a common measurement, and because travel was so difficult then, a furlong was considered 'a long way off'; not as far as a mile, but far enough. People seldom left their own villages, or at most travelled to the next village or so, which were usually only a matter of a few miles down the road. But to them, it was pretty far.

In your chart, the Moon separates from Venus, and Venus separates from the Moon. The two parties are moving farther apart. You could try counting the distance from the separated trine, e.g. at what degree did the Moon/Venus trine (check an ephemeris), and how many degrees has the Moon moved since then? That would likely give you a better answer.

Cheers,
AG:)