When Jupiter is placed in 4th=+Accidential dignity by angular+in Moon's home?

poyi

Premium Member
Hello all,

Want to get some confirmation from members in the forum.

I know measuring essential and accidental dignity can give me some ideas how strong a planet is.

I asked members before to read my chart but I forgot to ask:

When Jupiter in the 4th other than just being in angular house, does being in 4th the home of Cancer also adding benefit to Jupiter?

I referred back to
Ptolemy's table of Essential Dignities

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig2.html

In both Western geocentric (tropical) Placidus or Whole sign housing, my natal Jupiter is always in 4th house, also in Vedic/sidereal as well.

In western geocentric, Placidus housing, I know my Jupiter should be pretty strong as it is in Sagittarius, conjunct IC by 1 09' orb, South node in Sagittarius by less than 1 20' orbs which is supposed also to be the exaltation sign of the south node.

In the 4th house which is the home of Jupiter's exaltation sign, so some suggested Jupiter is accidentally exalted from the resources I found. So to cut the story short, do members in the forum also measure dignity this way or not?

The Ram

Yes Jupiter in the 4th, the house of it's exaltation would be a very strong position. I guess I'd call it a house exaltation.

waybread

I don't think it works by houses, other than the 4th house being angular (and not as strong as either the ascendant or MC.) If your Jupiter is in Sagittarius it gets essential dignity from being in the sign it rules, and accidental dignity by virtue of being angular.

See Deborah Houlding, Houses: Temples of the Sky, which is a run-down of how house meanings have been understood in traditional astrology.

The conflation of sign and house meanings is really an invention of modern astrology. The one exception seems to be medical astrology, which traditionally did match up signs and houses in terms of what astrological sign or house ruled what body part or illness.

Cancer, however, has no true relationship to the 4th house, and the system of essential dignities was not developed with houses in mind, but only signs, so far as I know. This is how Houlding interprets the second column (labeled "houses") simply because "house" in English comes a little closer to the concise meaning of the term for signs used in ancient Greek.

When we say a planet is "domiciled" in the sign it rules, we also pick up the Latin root word domicile meaning one's residence.

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
I don't think it works by houses, other than the 4th house being angular (and not as strong as either the ascendant or MC.)

See Deborah Houlding, Houses: Temples of the Sky, which is a run-down of how house meanings have been understood in traditional astrology.

The conflation of sign and house meanings is really an invention of modern astrology. The one exception seems to be medical astrology, which traditionally did match up signs and houses in terms of what astrological sign or house ruled what body part or illness.

Cancer, however, has no true relationship to the 4th house, and the system of essential dignities was not developed with houses in mind, but only signs, so far as I know. This is how Houlding interprets the second column (labeled "houses") so far as I know, simply because "house" in English comes a little closer to the concise meaning of the term for signs used in ancient Greek.

Yer I think my idea was originally came from all the readings mixed in my head from Medical astrology and Vedic astrology. I remember in Vedic astrology, a planet can be exalted by house as well. In Vedic it measures the friendships between planets so including the friend's house.

I wonder if anyone thought the same like me. Maybe it only applies to Vedic? Anyone recall any similar measurement from western astrology?

waybread

One other thing you might try, if you use a house system other than whole signs, is to look at the condition of the planet ruling the sign on your 4th house cusp if it is other than Sagittarius (i.e., most likely Scorpio.) (So-called accidental house cusp ruler or lord.) This will give you a closer read on the condition of your 4th house.

dr. farr

In the Hellenist/Traditionalist model-house-wise-Jupiter joys in the 11th house; it is exalted in Cancer (the sign); and (in that model) of course any planet in an angular house is considered "strong" (same too in the Modernist outlook regarding angular houses)

poyi

Premium Member
One other thing you might try, if you use a house system other than whole signs, is to look at the condition of the planet ruling the sign on your 4th house cusp if it is other than Sagittarius (i.e., most likely Scorpio.) (So-called accidental house cusp ruler or lord.) This will give you a closer read on the condition of your 4th house.

Jupiter is the ruler of the 4th house. By whole sign or by Placidus.

The 4th cusp is Sagittarius.

I know for the fact that Jupiter is dignified by sign, by conjoining IC, node axis and vertex axis, and square AC, DC, opposition MC all by 1-2 orbs.

It conjoins the south node in Sagittarius, North node in Gemini both are traditionally as recognized as exaltation signs of the nodes.

Jupiter is midpoint of Mars/Moon. While making aspects to the node axis and vertex axis, Jupiter also parallel them all also.

Jupiter Declination= 22 degrees 8 2'
True node Declination= 22 degrees 43 42'
Vertex Declination= 22 degrees 16 40'
Neptune Declination= 22 degrees 14 32'

Part of Fortune Declination= 23 degrees 21 56' (not sure if within orb for POF)

I am just making 100% sure myself getting the full understanding of my 4th house. It has been a difficult task every since I started learning Western astrology last year!!!:sick:

poyi

Premium Member
In the Hellenist/Traditionalist model-house-wise-Jupiter joys in the 11th house; it is exalted in Cancer (the sign); and (in that model) of course any planet in an angular house is considered "strong" (same too in the Modernist outlook regarding angular houses)

Thanks dr. farr that is a clearer answer to me. So when Jupiter is placed in 11th then it will be in his joy.

Regarding to orb for parallel planets, do you have to be exactly less than 1 degree? If it has to be less than one then the POF in Cancer is JUST out of orb:sad:

dr. farr

Orb for Parallels of declination:
-Modernists use a maximum orb of 1 degree
-historical authorities accepted orbs up to 1degree30minutes
-I have found orbs up to 2 degrees to work very accurately.
My answer then: use an orb of up to 2 degrees.

*emma*

Banned
Jupiter is the ruler of the 4th house. By whole sign or by Placidus.

The 4th cusp is Sagittarius.

I know for the fact that Jupiter is dignified by sign, by conjoining IC, node axis and vertex axis, and square AC, DC, opposition MC all by 1-2 orbs.

It conjoins the south node in Sagittarius, North node in Gemini both are traditionally as recognized as exaltation signs of the nodes.

Jupiter is midpoint of Mars/Moon. While making aspects to the node axis and vertex axis, Jupiter also parallel them all also.

Jupiter Declination= 22 degrees 8 2'
True node Declination= 22 degrees 43 42'
Vertex Declination= 22 degrees 16 40'
Neptune Declination= 22 degrees 14 32'

Part of Fortune Declination= 23 degrees 21 56' (not sure if within orb for POF)

I am just making 100% sure myself getting the full understanding of my 4th house. It has been a difficult task every since I started learning Western astrology last year!!!:sick:

I have jupiter in sag in my sag 4th house too....count your blessings
:kissing:

always protected