Can capricorns be philosophical and spiritual?

andrei capatina

I know everyone has the potential for spiritual incline. But I wonder, as i am a capricorn ascendant and scorpio sun, i am extremely philosophical and spiritual, with maybe some tide interests in social status. I for one am not hardworking at all, rather lazy and dreamy. Would you think that if capricorns were philosophical they would have a pessimistic and realistic approach?

But how can zodiac descriptions just throw out the personality traits of a capricorn listing them with such qualities like "ambitious, hard working, austere, cold" and put sagittarius in "friendly, philosophical, visionary" or even possibly smarter. I see these just as symbols but the possibility to be different than ancient descriptions exists.
What would you say? Do capricorns have hope for spirituality?

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

What do you think?

But how can zodiac descriptions just throw out the personality traits of a capricorn listing them with such qualities like "ambitious, hard working, austere, cold" and put sagittarius in "friendly, philosophical, visionary" or even possibly smarter. I see these just as symbols but the possibility to be different than ancient descriptions exists.
Personality is made up of many elements, and in the chart, of all the planets (and if you use them, the asteroids etc etc). 'Capricorn' in zodiac descriptions is just describing the atypical Sun signs, and with a very limited view, at that. Eg, some say Scorpio Sun is just sexual, but it is much broader than that but depends on how the individual chooses either consciously or unconsciously, to express the planetary energy. A Scorpio Sun with a Libra Moon would be quite different from a Scorpio Sun with a Pisces Moon. But it goes even much broader than that.

It also depends on age, life experience, development as to how you live the planetary energies. Eg, Pisces energy can be lived as either dreamy, delusional, artistic, intuitive, or all or none of those. It depends on the individual and how they express the energies. It also depends on house position, aspects the planets make to each other, progressions through life. Another example, you can get two people born on the same day, and each one expresses their chart in different ways.

Would you think that if capricorns were philosophical they would have a pessimistic and realistic approach?
I think they are two different approaches, a big difference being pessimistic to realistic. Pessimistic is looking at the worst possible scenario and always thinking the worst will happen. Imo, realistic is looking at things as they are, with different possibilities. I am realistic more often than not, Cap Sun. But, with Pisces Moon and Neptune on Ascendant/north node, I take on a lot of people's energies which can overwhelm me with emotion that isn't always mine, sometimes leading to pessismism. This also enables me to understand and empathise and I have to be somewhat philosophical in order to make sense of it all.

Last edited:

graay ghost

You're giving us only a small piece of the puzzle with your ascendant and sun.

And anyway, the thing people tend to forget about "spirituality" is that the circuits for it in humans are very old. Very old. It's only very recently that people are stepping away from this sort of thinking en masse, so a sign heavily associated with tradition could of course be associated with the spiritual and philosophical. It's impossible to know where to go forward in these fields without first looking back.

Kannon

You are right. We are all spiritual beings. But some are more visionary and conceptual than others, and it sounds like you are one of those. These qualities relate mostly to Neptune, Uranus, Jupiter and Pisces, Aquarius, and Sagittarius, and to a lesser degree to Mercury/Gemini. So you can see how with those first three planets showing strongly in the 1st house of the chart you have showed us, that these could play a big role for you.

Descriptions of rising signs are generally for what is typical for people with that sign and do not take into account other undetermined factors in an individual's chart that can modify it. These other planets, however, do not themselves 'throw out' the workings of Capricorn if that is your rising sign.

Planets are stronger influences than signs. Signs are broad modes of expression that can include a lot. Planets are more specific energies.

JUPITERASC

I know everyone has the potential for spiritual incline.
But I wonder, as i am a capricorn ascendant and scorpio sun, i am extremely philosophical and spiritual, with maybe some tide interests in social status.
I for one am not hardworking at all, rather lazy and dreamy.
Would you think that if capricorns were philosophical they would have a pessimistic and realistic approach?

But how can zodiac descriptions just throw out the personality traits of a capricorn listing them with such qualities like
"ambitious, hard working, austere, cold" and put sagittarius in "friendly, philosophical, visionary" or even possibly smarter.
I see these just as symbols but the possibility to be different than ancient descriptions exists.
Consider MARTIN LUTHER KING Jr born 15 January 1929 CAPRICORN :smile:
Martin Luther King Jr is remembered best for iconic "I Have A Dream Speech" given in front of Lincoln Memorial
during 1963 March on Washington.
At 25 became pastor at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church, Alabama.
Helped found Southern Christian Leadership Conference and led 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott,
which helped end racial segregation on the public transit systems.
Married Coretta Scott 18 June 1953 Heiberger, Alabama.
Had two sons, Dexter and Martin III, and two daughters, Yolanda and Bernice.
Travelled to India April 1959 after being inspired by the nonviolent protests of MAHATMA GANDHI.
MARTIN LUTHER KING Jr received Nobel Peace Prize 1964.

Martin-Luther-King-Jr-Love-Quotes.jpg

Pisces13

Banned
I know everyone has the potential for spiritual incline. But I wonder, as i am a capricorn ascendant and scorpio sun, i am extremely philosophical and spiritual, with maybe some tide interests in social status. I for one am not hardworking at all, rather lazy and dreamy. Would you think that if capricorns were philosophical they would have a pessimistic and realistic approach?

I agree with the others that the sun sign is just a small piece of the puzzle, but to answer your question, yes, Capricorns can be philosophical and spiritual. My mom is as capricorn as anyone can get (she's the epitome of the Capricorn personality), but she's nothing if not spiritual and philosophical as well. And I wouldn't describe Capricorn's as cold. They're just not sappy or over emotional the way you'd expect, say, a Pisces to be.

andrei capatina

You are right. We are all spiritual beings. But some are more visionary and conceptual than others, and it sounds like you are one of those. These qualities relate mostly to Neptune, Uranus, Jupiter and Pisces, Aquarius, and Sagittarius, and to a lesser degree to Mercury/Gemini. So you can see how with those first three planets showing strongly in the 1st house of the chart you have showed us, that these could play a big role for you.

Descriptions of rising signs are generally for what is typical for people with that sign and do not take into account other undetermined factors in an individual's chart that can modify it. These other planets, however, do not themselves 'throw out' the workings of Capricorn if that is your rising sign.

Planets are stronger influences than signs. Signs are broad modes of expression that can include a lot. Planets are more specific energies.

this was such a competent answer. thank you for your reply!

JUPITERASC

As a Capricorn ascendant, rather than a Capricorn Sun, and because the Main Rulerships: of 1st house are:
'.....Life, vitality and health.
Stature, colour, complexion, form and shape of body.
Older sources note its influence upon the intellect, the way the mind works, and speech :smile:
In general, the first house represents the focal point for the personality and manner of expression.
As well as describing the physical appearance,
the condition of this house and that of its planetary ruler indicates the level of personal vitality and strength.....'
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h1.html
so then
the condition of your natal SATURN
as well as the sign location and house location of natal Saturn
along with aspects with other natal planets
are an influence on your appearance and manner of expression

Bradders

Hi! Capricorn sun, Leo ascendent here.

Been into spirituality all my life, had a scorpio cousin who I have been intimately closely related with since I was very young. We used to lay top and tail together and talk about all sorts of life possibilities. My 5th house in Scorpio gives me a keen observant interest in the unknown, what shouldn't be seen and mysterious, but I basically shorten it to ufo/anti-government/paranormal/ghosts/new age voyager who loves to see all things mystical. Except the **** ouija board.

I would say there must all be a secret mystic in all of us somewhere. Without spirituality or some sort of divinity, life would be empty. I would also accord to say your rising sign is how others see you, how you react to life's circumstances and problems and that alone is up to people's judgement.

The sun sign on the ooother hand, is actually what you want! So the rising sign determines HOW YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT, the sun sign, your drives, your necessities, is quite different.

I like to think spirituality as keeping an open mind to and remembering life is always mysterious, not as some religious doctrine we should all follow, as life itself is a journey surely to practice. We must all stray from the beaten path and find ourselves: After all, what the hell is normal! Ahaha! No! WHO THE HELL IS NORMAL, a indoctrination by the government in the 50s? By all means. A silly, obnoxious, trivial title that as long as people don't uncover their repressed, inner screaming crying children, remains in use.

I see myself more of a astronaut in every sense of the word, astro being, astrology, astral, metaphysical, the unknown, the unseen, the occult, I'm always feeling intuitively as I always have LIFE has many secrets; people need divinity to survive. I started as a buddhist. All it takes is that little question: Do I know everything? I mean really, does my degrees really project my inanimous insecurities to be admired? Or are they a part of me?

Life is very painful of course, everyone is on a path to actualizing themselves. Thats what life will always be about!

Otherwise! I would see spirituality more as a choice wether to uncover and self actualize yourself, or become a doormat, constantly apologising to people, never truly finding it is what you want, believing status, money and education makes you who you are: In this sense you can see the world is more evolved than ever on a grand scale!

Toodles!

~ Bradders the crazy zany advenurous flamboyant horned goatlion thing.

SirHorns

Look up the Esoteric version of Capricorn, it pretty much says the sign is spiritual no matter what, almost.

As for your question, short answer would be: yes.

Then again I have Jupiter , Uranus and Neptune aspecting my Cap Sun so I might no be the best Capricorn to make as a standard for other Caps to follow. :lol:

Neptune Rising

I don't know much about its origins, but the image of Capricorn is the goat with a fish's tail. I thought that indicated the depths of Capricorn soul.

Bunraku

On the individual basis, check the chart for placements that can indicate a tendency to spirituality. The outer planets in modern astrology got it covered.

Strong Neptune and Jupiter can show this tendency to spirituality and religion.
Uranus rules sudden flashes of intuition and insight, good for divination and divine knowledge.
Perhaps even Pluto can contribute, but Pluto is more of a situational planet that depends on the chart more than anything.

andrei capatina

On the individual basis, check the chart for placements that can indicate a tendency to spirituality. The outer planets in modern astrology got it covered.

Strong Neptune and Jupiter can show this tendency to spirituality and religion.
Uranus rules sudden flashes of intuition and insight, good for divination and divine knowledge.
Perhaps even Pluto can contribute, but Pluto is more of a situational planet that depends on the chart more than anything.

Your answer makes extremely much sense to me, since jupiter neptune and uranus are in my first house, the dominant planets of my chart being
1. jupiter
2.uranus
3. neptune. Thank you!