Newspaper Astrology

astrobob

does anyone know the exact technique used by most newspaper astrologers and how do they interpret the various signs. I have head they use a solar chart with the sun on the ASC or do they use a chart with the current 0 degree of the sun sign as the ASC.

rahu

Banned
why waste time on newspaper astrology.
newspaper astrology was created in the 1920s when astrology once again gained public attention.
as astrology is complex, publisher decided to emphasis the sun signs as this was a easy method to publish. it was these economic interest that made sun signs the focus. there had been astrological columns in the newspapers before this and these astrologers wrote about about the aspects and planets in the same manner a astrological magazine today does.. if you go to the microfilms and look at the London times in the early 20th century, you can read these astrology columns.but this was too complicated so sun sign astrology was created.

to tell you the truth many sun sign astrological column are simply made up. there is no official technique. they are bogus commercialization artifacts

but basically they are based on the suns position. newspaper astrology can have some validity but only if your rising sign is in sun sign given.so if you have a pisces rising, you could read what is written under the sun in pisces. other than that it is only coincidence that a sun sign reading will give you any valid insights in the newspaper.

rahu

Claire19

does anyone know the exact technique used by most newspaper astrologers and how do they interpret the various signs. I have head they use a solar chart with the sun on the ASC or do they use a chart with the current 0 degree of the sun sign as the ASC.

I believe they take the current moon sign and blend it with the sun sign
and may use a solar chart. Whatever, it is just for entertainment value and not to be taken seriously. Some things may resonate with about one in a thousand people.

Marinka

I used to do a astrology feature for a monthly magazine (was also asked to do a daily newspaper but, too much work) and I set up solar charts for each sign at 0 and placed the planets around the wheel and then looked at the changes (houses/angles) that occurred with the planets throughout the month.

astrobob

thanks Marinka, you actually answered my question. So you had to set up 12 solar charts a month with 0 degrees of each sign and you looked at the planets in the houses and the angles. Is this correct?

Marinka

thanks Marinka, you actually answered my question. So you had to set up 12 solar charts a month with 0 degrees of each sign and you looked at the planets in the houses and the angles. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. I would take a look at how far and into which houses a planet (all except moon) would move into during the month and which aspects it made along the way. So for example, Mercury might start in house 2 (money) and make a square to Jupiter in 5th (fun) indicating overspending on amusements for a particular sign. For another sign, the houses would be different and mean something else. Of course, over the month Mercury will keep on moving and you would have to identify all the upcoming moves and aspects - this would have to be done for all the planets.

If you wanted to do daily, you would bring the moon into the list and look at the house placements and aspects.

A solar chart, with Sun at 0 or 15 degrees on the ascendant, is the only way to do a newspaper type column, properly.

When the Moon is in your Sun sign, they say the forcast is always GREAT !

When the Moon is in your opposite Sun sign, the cycle is low and be cautious.

These columns are still very popular, actually, as newspapers still draw millions of readers around the world (for now).

Check any large city in the world, as there are still paper daily newspapers, everywhere and all of them have online editions.

Sun sign astrology is not really my idea of true astrology, actually, but it does make people aware of the western zodiac and leads people to more serious studies.

My opinion of authors like Linda Goodman and Jean Dixon are not good, however.

They never get certain signs right, actually. For example, Scorpio and Gemini are always villianized, demonized.

I think that sun sign books are mostly garbage, but many serious astrology books are also garbage ?

In fact, many serious professional astrologers aren't any good and many are in serious need of a reality check !

example gratis. I once had a reading done by a so called world famous astrologer based in Phoenix Arinoza and I have to say it was a pile of sh#t !

I say he was about 60 percent accurate, if that ?

The astrologer also claimed to be a "world famous author" who had clients in 30 countries, but if you're going to brag about your clientele, at least learn how to do a proper natal analysis !

-HM

Last edited:

astrobob

why not use a solar chart with o degrees of the current sign on the ascendant and let the sun be where it is in the 1st house?

Marinka

did you pay attention to house rulers?

Yes, that would make it complete. You could also look at midpoints and fixed stars but, the typical paragraph for each sign would soon turn into pages for just one sign. Full moons and new moons can also be used for monthly forecasts.

If you try this as practice, you'll find that there is quite a bit that starts to come to light even though it is just sun signs.
For example, during the current period a Libra sun would have Uranus in 7th (Aries), Saturn moving from 2nd into 3rd, Pluto in the 4th, Jupiter in 11th, and Neptune in the 6th along with Chiron. That gives you the backdrop for where Libra suns are working in long-term and then you add the flavors of the Sun (spotlight), Mercury (thoughts), Venus (loves), and Mars (actions) to highlight specifics for the month.