Does everything that happen really happen for your growth

clip11

If so, then logically shouldn't we be happy for anything that happens no matter what it is since it's for your growth?

I heard a story from this man named TJ Parsell. He said that he was 17 when he got sent to prison in 1978. He said that he was targeted for rape by several inmates older than him because of his youth and sexual orientation (he was gay). He said that inmates made their own homemade liquor and they invited him to drink with them and they spiked his drink with Thorazine and he was gang raped. After they flipped a coin to see who's prison wife he would be. The inmate who won him he said was a 30 year old black inmate who was well respected among the inmates.

Now look at that story. If everything happens for your ultimate growth, shouldn't he have considered that a good thing and be happy that it happened because after all, he wouldn't have achieved whatever growth he got from the situation had it not happened.

That's where the whole thing falls apart for me and I hear that a lot especially when talking about astrology.

greybeard

Go back in time. He became Bubba's wife because he committed a crime. Some folks might call it karma. Acts have consequences. Learn the lesson and Bubba goes up in smoke.

clip11

Go back in time. He became Bubba's wife because he committed a crime. Some folks might call it karma. Acts have consequences. Learn the lesson and Bubba goes up in smoke.

The way he put it, it was a prank that got out of hand. But what if he was innocent and it still happened? The point is, things happen all of the time. Besides, I get the feeling that if a woman did something bad and was gang raped you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

greybeard

Proposition: Everything in existence has a cosmic function or purpose, including you & me.

Both our character and our function are determined by the horoscope. The specific character is required to meet the function.

Character, largely inherent, is also formed by the accidents of fate, our experiences, happy and sad. All are necessary to our formation and the function we are intended to meet.

Our function may be grand or small, good or evil, honorable or dishonorable. It is dictated and described by our moment of emergence into spacetime.

waybread

It depends how you take it.

This is a horrific story, but then, some inmates have chosen growth oriented paths.

JUPITERASC

If so, then logically shouldn't we be happy for anything that happens no matter what it is since it's for your growth?

I heard a story from this man named TJ Parsell. He said that he was 17 when he got sent to prison in 1978. He said that he was targeted for rape by several inmates older than him because of his youth and sexual orientation (he was gay). He said that inmates made their own homemade liquor and they invited him to drink with them and they spiked his drink with Thorazine and he was gang raped. After they flipped a coin to see who's prison wife he would be. The inmate who won him he said was a 30 year old black inmate who was well respected among the inmates.

Now look at that story. If everything happens for your ultimate growth, shouldn't he have considered that a good thing and be happy that it happened because after all, he wouldn't have achieved whatever growth he got from the situation had it not happened.

That's where the whole thing falls apart for me and I hear that a lot especially when talking about astrology.
consequences are preceded by causes
Logically, everything has a cause :smile:

actions have consequences

for example

PHYSICAL action
VERBAL action
and
MENTAL action.
ALL HAVE CONSEQUENCES

some consequences may be unintended
simply because we are not the sole inhabitants on our planet
therefore
our physical, verbal and mental actions
impinge on the physical, verbal and mental actions of others
i.e.
we are all interdependent

keep in mind that

the person you mention was imprisoned BECAUSE of their own actions
IF that person had acted differently
then they would not have gone to prison
and then not have had those experiences
obviously
the person had no intention of getting caught and going to prison
that was the risk they took
IF that person had been aware of the possible consequences
then that person would not have acted in ways that landed them in prison

greybeard

Some animals are born as elephants and tigers. Some are born as mice or snails.

Very few snails become tigers.

Nope. They live their lives as snails and fulfill their cosmic function.

greybeard

I am 77 years old. Over the years I have been through a lot of pain and failure and watched dreams die, like everyone my age.

All those bad things...I learned from each of them, and they made me what I am. I wouldn't change them. I couldn't if I would.

wan

There is a woman from my home country, who was gang-raped as a young girl. She would probably like to change that if she could.

Last edited:

greybeard

I'm sure.

But bad things happen to nice people. Whether we like it or not, that is our world.

The rape was unavoidable. It happened. It became a fact of your friend's life.

After that , the question is:

What do I do now?
The response to the question determines what will come out of the rape. There is certainly the potential for good, largely spiritual.

waybread

A lot of this is situational or conditional. Today in a country with a good legal system, a rape victim might feel more empowered by bringing charges against her attackers. However, many women understandably cannot face re-living their trauma in front of a hostile defense attorney and her attackers in a courtroom. Oftentimes they don't expect justice.

Some people can think or pray their way out of a trauma, but if someone has PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) s/he will need intensive psychotherapy. These people can't just "move on" or "snap out of it" because severe trauma rewires their brains differently. They can't help the nightmares, flash-backs, panic attacks, periods of dissociation, &c.

I think most people who have had rotten things happen to them do have the power to be a blessing to others facing serious difficulties, like the adult amputees who work with or raise money for children with disabilities; or the adult victim of sexual assault who works on behalf of a women's shelter.

But not everyone has that capability.