Clarification on how to compute a Davison chart

Iris328

Hello everyone!

I am have question of the computation of Davison charts, and I would be very grateful for clarifications. I am trying to learn to read them, and the go-to chart service that I use is the Astro.com "uncorrected" Davison chart under extended charts. I've been studying it and have used it since the beginning of my research.

however, recently, I checked another other online chart generating source, the Davison calculator from Allen Edwall. I was a bit surprised because the chart was very different from the chart I was familiar with. Upon checking further, I realized that it was because this service inputed the UTC time zone, from the midpoint of the coordinates. In astro.com, when you draw the natal chart for the Davison, the UTC is set to 0:00.

The Ascendant and house placements change greatly, and pretty much everything else that can be influenced by a change in timezones.

Can anyone please help me understand why this is so, and what should I use instead? It makes sense for me to consider the timezone. When I tried to input the data on mobile apps so I can conveniently check the transits, they automatically allow for computation with the proper UTC.

However, as my impression is that astro.com is very reliable chart wise, and that maybe their chart is the more accurate one? Or does time not really value much in the davison, and the aspects are more important than houses?

I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this! Apologies if this seems like a silly question, I am just trying to understand, and I am self studying, so your help is very much of value!I attached the different charts below. Thank you very much in advance! :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.15.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.15.25 AM.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DC.jpg
    DC.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 32

waybread

I can't comment on the Davison chart, which averages the birthplaces by location, vs. the midpoint composite chart, which averages planets by degrees. The uncorrected Davison charts can give impossible locations, while the midpoints can give impossible planetary positions in the composite chart, such as Venus or Mercury several signs away from the sun. It looks like the Edwell charts try to fine-tune the locations.

I would simply suggest that you start with relationships you know well, or celebrity relationships where details of the couples' lives are well known. Try out each of this charts, and see which one seems to best describe the relationship.

Iris328

Thank you very much for your insight, I will try and look around deeper! Blessings, waybread!

Anyone else with any experience with Davison charts? I would be so very grateful for any leads! Thank you!

rahu

Banned
you should realize that a davison chart is based on the calendar. it is not based on planetary positions .because planets besides the moon and sun move at times in a retrograde direction, the only planets that have similar positions are the sun and moon.
also keep in mind that davison himself became somewhat questioning of his system in his later life.

rahu

bram

Thank you very much for your insight, I will try and look around deeper! Blessings, waybread!

Anyone else with any experience with Davison charts? I would be so very grateful for any leads! Thank you!
I stumbled on your question, which was exactly my question. My understanding is this: Planetary calculations are always done on UTC. Local time is converted to UTC to calculate the position of planets. Ascendant and house cusps are formed on the basis of the birthplace coordinates. So, astro.com's calculations are accurate since the time given is the mid-point of the local time after its conversion to UTC. Places coordinates are midpoints of the 2 places of birth.