Astrology and Musical Tastes

meg96

I was reading an article, and of course though there are so very many different parts of your chart that could influence musical interests, it suggested that we look to Venus and her tastes, and any aspects to her!!

I personally have an Aries Venus in Eighth, in conjunct with my Aries Moon in Eighth. I think the Aries influences make me like loud and fast and direct songs, and the eighth definitely throws in mystery and deeper meanings... and if you were wondering, "Slipknot?!?!", you could not be more wrong. :lol: (Maybe because of my Virgo ascendant?? I don't think she'd like much for me to be so vehement and outwardly destructive..!!)

For me, I love rock'n'roll with meaning!! Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, bring it on!!

What does your Venus say about your taste in music?? And of course, do you think any other part of your natal chart says anything about it for you?? Comment with your music and how it relates astrologically. :smile::smile::smile:

ognjenka

I'll comment my daughter's taste in music.
She loves metal. Her Venus is in 8th in Libra and in conjunct with Spica. She has full 12th with Jupiter, Neptun and Uranus (ruler of the ASC). Her Pluto is in conjunct (in 9th) with MC and her Sun sign is Scorpio (also in 9th).
She also play flute and love classic music. Her Mercury (fingers) is in Sagittarius (in 9th) and in conjunction with MC and Pluto.

!4C

I have scorpio sun and both of scorpio's rulers are whipped. Mars is disposed to cancer moon in a conjunction, and pluto is disposed to libra venus in conjunction. Venus-pluto conjunction in libra loves intensity, but in a graceful way. The cancer moon is attracted to atmospheric music that taps into an emotional connection to situations, while mars adds a preference for an aggressive emotional expression.

The competing themes of the moon and venus are further intensified by the t-square with aries jupiter. Since the focal point of the t-square is the moon in the 12th and neptune in the 5th contacts the t-square, there is bend towards a theatrical imagination. I like immersing myself in all emotions ranging from powerless grief to triumphant elation, but I especially like transitions from one emotional state to another (pluto influence?).

I'm not too critical of lyrics or the message behind the song. The intensity and flow of vocals are more important. I prefer opera inspired vocal style, gritty or clean. I love gritty female vocals and there isn't enough good music with this style (example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVJwF_ceroI).

I love thrashy guitar riffs and overextended, scratchy guitar solos. I prefer clean distortion over fuzz.

I love synth when it gives moody futuristic feel. I go crazy for a retro-futuristic theme. It's a real bonus when the music without the vocals can generate intense mental imagery.

I think the Star One project from dutch composer Arjen Lucassen is the best example that brings most elements together for me. I also like his Aryeon and Ambeon projects, but not as much as Star One. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Nfd7ZgkqE

I've also been a Therion fan since the Theli album. Another shining example of how good a rock opera can be. The occult themes are bonus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX6ljncmukk

Or for more conventional arrangement, Symphony X has the vocals, heavy riffs, and synth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gUOkOG0aw

In actuality, there are artists I love in all genres. It depends on their ability to deliver the mood and intensity that is inline with my moods. I find that I love almost everything from the 80's due to the jovial spirit captured at the time.

surrealsuburb123

This is a great thread! :happy:

I have my Venus conjunct Jupiter in Pisces positioned in the first house with an Aquarius ascendant. I also have my Moon in Scorpio conjunct Pluto and sextile Neptune in the 9th.

I love music which is very texture oriented and has intricate, almost hypnotic, patterns. My music tastes ranges (and changes a lot of the time with my mood) and I am pretty eclectic, but rather picky.

I think my infatuation with beautiful textures is due to my Venus in Pisces and perhaps my Moon sextile Neptune (which may cause my synesthesia). I like music which takes me to different places (Neptune in the 12th). Philip glass is my favorite composer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orrxqrq2U_0
Thick airy texture with a repetitive pattern and subtle changes.

I love patterns in music, and I would sit and try to decode them for hours.
I have Mercury sextile Uranus and trine Pluto.

Steve Reich is one of my favorite minimalist composers (along with Glass). There is a lot of intricate rhythmic layering with subtle changes in pattern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-tRXgOrdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcKoijE4XQ

I love spacey electronic music. Sometimes my tastes can be a little , umm, weird or progressive, probably because of my ascendant in Aquarius. I think my love for electronic music and synths is due to my ascendant, my Uranus and Neptune in Aquarius in the 12th house, and my Pallas in Pisces in the first house.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7BCyF3xiY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No7L6CkKhwo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mehLx_Fjv_c

I've always loved folk music. Sometimes I like more melancholic folk, something more lyrical, or something angry. I have Moon in Scorpio and Venus square Pluto so I tend to be masochistic. I like to have a good cry from music sometimes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cche-h83qNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82xcICYq11Y

Oh, and, I love world music. Especially Malian guitar music, oriental (Chinese) music, Egyptian, and so much more! I mentioned my Moon sextile Neptune in the 9th house.

There's sooo much more, but I don't want to make this too long, haha. :sideways:

But I can attribute my Venus in Pisces for my love of so many different types of music, and the connections I make with it. :love:

Surreal

Last edited:

Sagakkan

Well I like western classical music, my favorite composers are Wagner, Ravel, Richard Strauss, Stravinsky, to name a few.....:smile:

I definitely prefer the superlative of beauty, only the most opulent and ravishing scores keep my attention:sideways: THat said, combat is a secret pleasure of mine (mars in 12), so I frequently like music that resembles a battle, like parts of John Williams' Star Wars score.....I prefer soft, slow tender moments to be sparse, this way they seem more poignant when they arrive. In short, I prefer a higher ratio of very energetic and complex episodes with soft/ soothing ones here and there. I think venus in the second house (relating to the lavish and opulent) sextile Mars has something to do with all this. I think the Sun being right ontop of the ascendant also has something to do with the "larger-than-life" forces (Wagner also had this position, his is in gemini though). And I think the prevalence of Scorpio in my chart informs all of this to a great extent.

Much more could be said but I'll just leave it there for now! :happy:

!4C

I love spacey electronic music.
Yeah, I love that too. Forbbiden Planet soundtrack set the bar for imaginary worlds. I think because my neptune placement and 12th house theme I find it very easy to immerse in surreal worlds when music creates a suggestive atmosphere. If you haven't heard it already, you might be interested in what has to be the best video game soundtrack of all time. Unreal soundtrack

tautomer

I love music which is very texture oriented and has intricate, almost hypnotic, patterns. My music tastes ranges (and changes a lot of the time with my mood) and I am pretty eclectic, but rather picky.

Surreal

I SO Relate! I also share a similar pattern to your placements, which could explain similairity of the tastes. My venus is in Gemini in the 8th house conjunct Jupiter as well as Mercury. I too have Scorpio moon conjunct pluto. I'm libra rising.

I have heard the name phillip glass before, but this is the first time I have listened to anything by him. Wow! That is wonderful! I am certainly going to be looking into more works by him. I never listen to compositions to this is an interesting and welcome change of pace. I also listen to Tycho from time to time :). I very much can hear the pisces influence in your music. I very much believe that the music one listens to often is a strong reflection of their chart as a whole.

I love pretty much anything that has "interesting sounds". Electic and surreal is a lovely way to describe it. Although, I tend to like things that have a heavier/darker tone to it. I crave that intensity and depth amid the strange. I pretty much stick to electronic music, but I deviate. I like disorganized structure. It's very much a combination of where my Venus sits.

Here's three examples that really highlight my musical tastes, by three bands whom I have an undying love for:

iamamiwhoami - Play
Planningtorock - The One
Perfume Tree - Flooded

chris10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5us2baknFw

I love the way, the way you move
The way you walk inside the room...
I want to mess with you tonight
And see this life from different sides...

I love the way, the way you are
You always try to reach the stars...
I want to build a brand new world
Tomorrow's just a useless word...

I love you just the way you are

I've had my days, but now I'm back
And I am yours with all my heart
So work your magic on me now,
I am ready for the final round...

There are no waves, or any seas
To stop this love by any means...
We have been waiting for so long,
The time has come, I can't wait more...

You are the one that I'm waiting for,
In your waves I feel like home
The one that I 'm waiting for...
You are the one that I'm waiting for,
In your waves I feel like home
The one that I 'm waiting for...

I love you just the way you are...

Don't ever tell me who you are...
Don't ever tell me who you are...

Last edited:

edea79

That was interesting post,been thinking about this myself,i got scorpio venus and leo mars,music has ALWAYS been big part of my life,i couldnt survive without it:D Maybe my aqua ascendant plays a role too,i love metal,punk and industrial,this dark sounded electro style,aggrotech"machines,dark future,robots and souls" thats my thing..I have to study my chart more:)

!4C

i got scorpio venus
It's possible venus in scorpio has similarities to venus-pluto conjunction. I remember the venus-pluto conjunction is often described as someone involved with art/music therapy.

What is condition of your moon? It seems like a fiery moon is associated with a love for energetic music.

!4C

I'm no audiophile , but I do have a little higher standards for sound setup than most, but then the music I listen to is the most difficult tho reproduce. I'm modestly critical of all technical specification on audio equipment. It's a bad sign if certain technical specifications aren't provided to the consumer. There must be an equalizer to adjust for differences in ability to hear full range consistently as well as difficulty of sound equipment to reproduce the full sound range accurately. Compressed digital music playback should be at least 192kbs or higher. I can definitely hear the difference between 128 and 192. With that said, it isn't that expensive to have higher standards. I'm rather pleased with a desktop PC, soundblaster live/audigy/extigy, sony mdr-v6 headphones, and winamp. Once you get the sound settings profiled properly it is rather amazing for the cheap price.

Looking my chart, the critical standards could be because my 3rd house is on virgo and my mercury is in the critical sign of scorpio. Not to mention, the pluto-venus conjunction is on the tail end of the 3rd. Coincidentally, the other house I associated with my musical taste, the 12th, is also ruled by mercury.

BTW, I should also point out that critical scorpio is hardly ever concerned with details of language because the focus is on things that get less attention. :smile:

chris10

If this isn't venus/neptune
pluto/ASC ... I don't know what is :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3PuxiuQIFk

He knows where he's taking me
Taking me where I want to be
I'm taking a ride
With my best friend

We're flying high

We're watching the world pass us by

Never want to come down

Never want to put my feet back down

On the ground

:rightful: 3:35 ....

multiple

Account Closed
currently i'm mainly listening to modern music within these genres;

post punk and hardcore
ambient and drone
hip hop
heavy rock
idm/electronica/electro
indie/lo fi
atmospheric black metal
synth pop
witch house/chillwave
folk/experimental & math rock

I have retrograde venus in gemini in the 1st house conjunction sun and ascendant, square to virgo saturn and mars, trine to libra pluto and opposite neptune. I tend to follow developments in what is new and i'm generally drawn to weird and experimental music but I like stuff which is catchy too. also I love both heavy and brash music and soft and chilled out music ,so stuff at each end of the extremities .combining the two into one form of music works for me too! similar to what others have mentioned I also enjoy hypnotic music.

Last edited:
K

Katydidit

I have both Venus and Mars in Taurus and I have always loved all music with lyrics (Gemini sun, Virgo rising). Never opera or any 'music' with words I couldn't understand - but the music itself can thrill me.

The first music that really aroused feelings was what I call kitchen thigh-dancin' music. It started with that Motown sound in the 60's (and Harry Bellefonte) but my soul connections to true R&B began with Nina Simone. For all you young'ns, lottsa people been doin' her song "Feeling Good." Made it to a few commercials, too.

Point is, strong Taurus - earthy music.
The more romantic, lusty, the better.
The ox plows.
The virgin yields.

IMHO

ETA: There is one, and only one, 'tune' with no lyrics that I have loved for 40+ years - DeBussy's Claire de Lune. For a high school assignment I paired it with the Poem Patterns by Amy Lowell. I only mention it because I think the pairing was 'inspired' - and we cycle-minded people understand patterns and the moon. I won't put a link here, just google them.

Last edited:

multiple

Account Closed
I have both Venus and Mars in Taurus and I have always loved all music with lyrics (Gemini sun, Virgo rising). Never opera or any 'music' with words I couldn't understand - but the music itself can thrill me.

that's interesting about music with lyrics. quite often I like music which either doesn't have lyrics or the lyrics are metaphorical or obscure to make out ,or they are simple one lines/ repetitive (sampled). I do like songs with more straight forward writing though too.

also I sometimes just pick up on the feeling of a song and it resonates with me without even reading or comprehending the lyrics. I then go and read them and find it has some personal or idealistic interest that I can relate to or admire.