Human existence: the gender of God

JUPITERASC

Dilbert_AmbigGender_4303.png

waybread

One thing to keep in mind is how language is gendered, and how other religions differ from the biblical tradition.

Hebrew is a gendered language with no neuter pronouns so you can't much write about God without choosing a male or female persona.

There is a truism in the anthropology of folklore that a culture's gods tend to mirror how they've constructed their human societies. Patriarchal societies like ancient Judaism, Egypt, and Babylon tend to postulate a male creator god.

Not so in ancient Nordic (Scandianavian, Germanic) mythology, where the world pre-exists the gods, but humanity emerges out of the body of a frost giant (Ymir) and/or by a primeval cow (Audhumbla.) The familiar gods of the Norse pantheon were not creators of humanity but were a subsequent generation.

The Navajo creation myth is really complex, and also does not involve a single supreme creator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diné_Bahaneʼ

Abby83

If God really exists, God has to be so far beyond our human notions of male and female... I don't think it works to paste our narrow, socially-created concepts of gender (dominant male, submissive female) on the Creator of the Universe.

My chart is mostly air and fire, and happily I am female.

If male was only dominant and woman submissive, then god wouldn't have created situations that lead women to lose their femininity through abuse or a man to lose his masculinity through abuse and so on. Women become masculine cos they need to or are conditionsd to and men become feminine cos they are conditioned to. And those scenarios are all gods creation.

david starling

I use "The Source" instead of "God", for what is usually meant by the latter term. Although, "Oh my Source", and "Source dammit" don't quite have the right ring to them.

Abby83

It's easy to be a girl though. You just sit around and look pretty.

Not easy when you've got so many f**ked up women out there jealous and sabotaging your efforts with control and food poisoning. Being stuck at home is suicidal for women putting up with other miserable women.

Abby83

Sometimes, I wonder if a sun, moon or rising placement in an Air sign (male or "beta") and a sun, moon or rising placement in a Water sign (female or "alpha") - mine is Aquarius sun/moon with Cancer ascendant. A gentle male spirit mixed in with a strong female soul...and my dominant sign is Virgo (Mars, Jupiter and Saturn). That's like what an Omega personality is, compared to Alpha or Beta.

Mmm sounds dreamy :love: anyone else drooling ?

Abby83

Also, in regards to the comment that it's easy being a girl you just have to be pretty.

Back in the day being as pretty as possible was all women had. So they tried so hard, yet many spouses left and had affairs due to boredom.

These days women are accepted and even admired for having a brain, personality, and life outside of motherhood. So looks sent as important. And if a woman's partner cheats or abuses she has more strength to leave and look after herself and kids when she has a life of her own outside her home. A man owning a woman is not love or respect.

I remember something my mum told me my dad said to her after they got married.

'I don't need to come home. I know you will always be there. I don't have to try. So that's why I don't come home.'

JUPITERASC

Also, in regards to the comment that it's easy being a girl you just have to be pretty.

Back in the day being as pretty as possible was all women had. So they tried so hard, yet many spouses left and had affairs due to boredom.

These days women are accepted and even admired for having a brain, personality, and life outside of motherhood. So looks sent as important. And if a woman's partner cheats or abuses she has more strength to leave and look after herself and kids when she has a life of her own outside her home. A man owning a woman is not love or respect.

I remember something my mum told me my dad said to her after they got married.

'I don't need to come home. I know you will always be there. I don't have to try. So that's why I don't come home.'
Any excuse is better than none :smile:

JUPITERASC

One thing to keep in mind is how language is gendered, and how other religions differ from the biblical tradition.

Hebrew is a gendered language with no neuter pronouns so you can't much write about God without choosing a male or female persona.

There is a truism in the anthropology of folklore that a culture's gods tend to mirror how they've constructed their human societies. Patriarchal societies like ancient Judaism, Egypt, and Babylon tend to postulate a male creator god.

Not so in ancient Nordic (Scandianavian, Germanic) mythology, where the world pre-exists the gods, but humanity emerges out of the body of a frost giant (Ymir) and/or by a primeval cow (Audhumbla.) The familiar gods of the Norse pantheon were not creators of humanity but were a subsequent generation.

The Navajo creation myth is really complex, and also does not involve a single supreme creator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diné_Bahaneʼ
God+Sun+Nature+Worship+Jesus+Myth.jpg