What does Mars in the 8th house mean in Traditional Astrology?

athenian200

Most information on this subject suggests that Mars in the 8th house is related to having a really high sex drive and lots of focused energy. Let's just say that in situations where I've seen that, it hasn't exactly worked out that way... LOL.

I've read a little about the 8th house in traditional, and it seems that the 8th is mostly associated with death here. So, is the 8th house still associated with languishing/inactivity or inheritances in traditional? Or is it really only death?

I'm just thinking, if it's only death, then it could suggest death through fighting or conflict. Otherwise, it could represent arguments over inheritances or else a lack of energy/drive (which is what I'm currently leaning towards).

I have a pretty good idea of a number of interpretations of the 8th, but it's hard for me to separate out what's traditional from what's been added.

Last edited:

jupiterianguru

Most information on is subject suggests that Mars in the 8th house is related to having a really high sex drive and lots of focused energy. Let's just say that in situations where I've seen that, it hasn't exactly worked out that way... LOL.

I hope you find more answers I have Mars in 8th

I've read a little about the 8th house in traditional, and it seems that the 8th is mostly associated with death here. So, is the 8th house still associated with languishing/inactivity or inheritances in traditional? Or is it really only death?

I'm just thinking, if it's only death, then it could suggest death through fighting or conflict. Otherwise, it could represent arguments over inheritances or else a lack of energy/drive (which is what I'm currently leaning towards).

I have a pretty good idea of a number of interpretations of the 8th, but it's hard for me to separate out what's traditional from what's been added.

I hope you find the answers I have Mars 8th house Libra and id like to know the meaning in Traditional Astrology too I dont know traditional Astrology.

athenian200

I hope you find the answers I have Mars 8th house Libra and id like to know the meaning in Traditional Astrology too I dont know traditional Astrology.

Hopefully someone who knows more can confirm, but my general vibe of the 8th house from my research/experience reminds me of an old saying.

You know how they say that all that's required in life is "death and taxes"? Well, that seems to be what this place is all about... the unpleasant stuff everyone has to deal with. That said, if I'm right in my thinking here, I bet the IRS, insurance salesmen, funeral directors, and certain lawyers love this house getting activated in someone's chart.

It's opposed to the 2nd house, which represents personal resources and possessions. So logically, taxes are a drain on those personal resources.

I think that beyond just representing physical death, it represents all the nasty business that surrounds it. People cashing in, their stuff being divided up, paying for the funeral, etc. Even if they don't die but just come close to it, a lot of people will circle around like vultures... life insurance people, bill collectors, doctors, people arguing about funeral plots, relatives, etc. Everyone who wants something from you before you croak.

When people die, their bodies become worm food and compost. You become someone or something else's nourishment. I think that's a key theme here, even if you don't have to physically die.

Then again, I could be overextending the meaning here. I do imagine that there's a theme of weakness, decay, and opportunism directed against you here, though.

I am 100% certain that it has some kind of association with death/weakness and is called "the idle place," however. Wish I knew more for certain.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Most information on this subject suggests that Mars in the 8th house is related to having a really high sex drive and lots of focused energy. Let's just say that in situations where I've seen that, it hasn't exactly worked out that way... LOL.

Traditional astrology differs from the 'One-Size-Fits-All' School of astrological thinking :smile:
i.e.
Natal charts do not necessarily ALL have the SAME SIGN 8th House
nor Mars in the SAME SIGN

and

traditionally
Mars sign ruler has an influence

as does sign ruler of 8th house

so 'generalisation' on this topic is clearly unreliable
Hopefully someone who knows more can confirm, but my general vibe of the 8th house from my research/experience reminds me of an old saying.

You know how they say that all that's required in life is "death and taxes"? Well, that seems to be what this place is all about... the unpleasant stuff everyone has to deal with. That said, if I'm right in my thinking here, I bet the IRS, insurance salesmen, funeral directors, and certain lawyers love this house getting activated in someone's chart.

It's opposed to the 2nd house, which represents personal resources and possessions. So logically, taxes are a drain on those personal resources.

I think that beyond just representing physical death, it represents all the nasty business that surrounds it. People cashing in, their stuff being divided up, paying for the funeral, etc. Even if they don't die but just come close to it, a lot of people will circle around like vultures... life insurance people, bill collectors, doctors, people arguing about funeral plots, relatives, etc. Everyone who wants something from you before you croak.

When people die, their bodies become worm food and compost. You become someone or something else's nourishment. I think that's a key theme here, even if you don't have to physically die.

Then again, I could be overextending the meaning here. I do imagine that there's a theme of weakness, decay, and opportunism directed against you here, though.

I am 100% certain that it has some kind of association with death/weakness and is called "the idle place," however. Wish I knew more for certain.
8th House -
All matters relating to
death,
decay,
fear,
anxiety
and
loss

The quality and nature of death.

Who shall be heir to the deceased.
Unexpected inheritance, wills, legacies and testaments of the deceased

(note that paternity - wealth from the parents - is also shown by the 4th house).

Money belonging to a partner, spouse or other party.

8th House is also
Financial obligations,
debts,
taxes,
loans,
losses,
money owed to others
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h8.html

'.....Traditional astrology relates 8th House to crisis,
hidden matters,
anguish of mind,
poison
and
deadly fears
;

this house concerns the inhibiting factors that stand in our way.
It is a house of personal vulnerability,
albeit perhaps a necessary vulnerability from which we may eventually gain.
It is wise to avoid any financial gambles or high-risk activities
during periods when this house is heavily emphasised
......'

athenian200

Traditional astrology differs from the 'One-Size-Fits-All' School of astrological thinking :smile:
i.e.
Natal charts do not necessarily ALL have the SAME SIGN 8th House
nor Mars in the SAME SIGN

and

traditionally
Mars sign ruler has an influence

as does sign ruler of 8th house

so 'generalisation' on this topic is clearly unreliable

Ah, I did know that, I just wasn't very clear with the question. I probably was thinking about the 8th house definition in general that I would use with the signs. So...

What would be the differences between, say:
Mars in the 8th in Capricorn w/ Saturn in Capricorn
Mars in the 8th in Aries
Mars in the 8th in Cancer w/ Moon in Cancer?

I ask because those would be the more interesting cases. Exaltation, Domicile, and Fall. To keep the focus on the 8th, let's assume the ruler of the sign is in the 8th house with Mars in this case.

I know if the ruler were elsewhere, that would bring another element from another house/sign into the equation, and before you know it you're looking at a whole chart rather than a single aspect.

8th House -
All matters relating to
death,
decay,
fear,
anxiety
and
loss

The quality and nature of death.

Who shall be heir to the deceased.
Unexpected inheritance, wills, legacies and testaments of the deceased

(note that paternity - wealth from the parents - is also shown by the 4th house).

Money belonging to a partner, spouse or other party.

8th House is also
Financial obligations,
debts,
taxes,
loans,
losses,
money owed to others
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h8.html

'.....Traditional astrology relates 8th House to crisis,
hidden matters,
anguish of mind,
poison
and
deadly fears
;

this house concerns the inhibiting factors that stand in our way.
It is a house of personal vulnerability,
albeit perhaps a necessary vulnerability from which we may eventually gain.
It is wise to avoid any financial gambles or high-risk activities
during periods when this house is heavily emphasised
......'
Thanks! That seems perfect. Seems like it covers most of the topics I would have thought were included.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
The big question here is going to be what house does Mars ruler in the nativity?

I work with one individual who has Mars as her Lord of the First in Scorpio in the Eighth. So not only is this a pretty clear indicator that she is the author of much of her own troubles and potentially will cause her own death somehow, but it also shows what she pursues in life (she's very money focused). It also indicates her general approach to life and conflict, which is to try to play both sides. Though I'm not completely convinced that this is the effect of this placement or just her immaturity in dealing with conflict, but since Mars is the planet of conflict...it's hard to say.

Calvinsmom

My son has Mars in the 8th, opposed Saturn in 2nd.

He just turned 19 so he is very young. So far, I see it as energy plus and from what I have observed a high sex drive. There is a bit of frustration with that drive, I see sometimes how he has such a deep burning desire to merge with a lover and sometimes he drives them away.

He is very demanding and commanding, and controlling. He seems a bit frustrated and impatient in the dating dept. The rest of his life is a lot better.

His mars squares mercury and moon and opposes venus. Conjuncts chiron, trines Uranus and Neptune. He is not promiscuous and he loves too deeply. It appears to be his only Achilles heel in life. He has a grand cross and is an exceptional student.

I see 8th house mars as energy plus super high sex drive and potential frustration if not relieved by trines or sextiles. But then again, I am not an astrologer just a novice.

athenian200

The big question here is going to be what house does Mars ruler in the nativity?

I work with one individual who has Mars as her Lord of the First in Scorpio in the Eighth. So not only is this a pretty clear indicator that she is the author of much of her own troubles and potentially will cause her own death somehow, but it also shows what she pursues in life (she's very money focused). It also indicates her general approach to life and conflict, which is to try to play both sides. Though I'm not completely convinced that this is the effect of this placement or just her immaturity in dealing with conflict, but since Mars is the planet of conflict...it's hard to say.

Hmm... well, presumably if it's a day chart it rules Aries and if it's a night chart it rules Scorpio, right?

So, if the 11th house is Aries and the 6th house is Scorpio in a day chart, would Mars be considered lord of the eleventh, lord of the sixth, or both?

Flapjacks

I have Rx Mars in Capricorn in the 8th, Mars lord of the 12th, and Saturn in the 6th house Sagittarius conjunct DSC. This is a nocturnal chart.

My great aunt died and left me with family heirlooms when Pluto came within 3 degree orb of Mars. Currently Pluto is still conjunct Mars..

I think this experience illustrates the expression of 8th house Mars in my chart very well: once I was in a group of people that were being led into a meditative state by a psychologist. He led us let go of our worries by guiding us through our own "death". Yet in me it had the opposite effect. I was truly hypnotized, and instead of "letting go" and becoming relaxed, a horrendous instinctual fear and rage came out instead and it felt like it was destroying me from the inside. I was trapped in that state, but there was no outward sign of it and the psychologist had no idea what he was doing to me. Everyone else came out of it feeling refreshed, but I felt empty and violated. It took me weeks to recover, and I no longer allow myself to be hypnotized.

Not totally traditional astrology, but I thought it might be helpful for 8th house/ Mars nonetheless.

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
athenian200 said:
Hmm... well, presumably if it's a day chart it rules Aries and if it's a night chart it rules Scorpio, right?

So, if the 11th house is Aries and the 6th house is Scorpio in a day chart, would Mars be considered lord of the eleventh, lord of the sixth, or both?

He rules both all of the time. Aries is his diurnal domicile not because he only has domicile there when it is day, but because Aries is a diurnal sign.

athenian200

He rules both all of the time. Aries is his diurnal domicile not because he only has domicile there when it is day, but because Aries is a diurnal sign.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was a little uncertain when I first heard about the diurnal thing. Especially since some modern Astrologers have come along and said that Pluto is the day ruler of Scorpio and the night ruler of Aries... and now that I know how this works, I realize exactly why that doesn't make sense.

I mean, I was wondering how a feminine sign like Scorpio could even have a day ruler, but I thought maybe that was just my own prejudice... I tend to think of day, masculine, light, odd numbers, and strength as all being linked together, so the idea struck me as philosophically messy/unwholesome.

So, that would mean that Mars, ruler of the 6th AND the ruler of the 11th would be in the 8th house in Capricorn.

The idea of the 6th house ruler being in the 8th sounds pretty bad... the 6th house is related to illness, after all. That makes me think of expensive medical bills, health insurance costs, and illness leading to death.

JUPITERASC

Yeah, that makes sense. I was a little uncertain when I first heard about the diurnal thing. Especially since some modern Astrologers have come along and said that Pluto is the day ruler of Scorpio and the night ruler of Aries... and now that I know how this works, I realize exactly why that doesn't make sense.

I mean, I was wondering how a feminine sign like Scorpio could even have a day ruler, but I thought maybe that was just my own prejudice... I tend to think of day, masculine, light, odd numbers, and strength as all being linked together, so the idea struck me as philosophically messy/unwholesome.

So, that would mean that Mars, ruler of the 6th AND the ruler of the 11th would be in the 8th house in Capricorn.

The idea of the 6th house ruler being in the 8th sounds pretty bad... the 6th house is related to illness, after all.
That makes me think of expensive medical bills, health insurance costs, and illness leading to death.
Few if any are never ill
Furthermore, birth itself leads to inevitable death :smile:

For guidance on DELINEATING NATAL CHART
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48463
Take time to thoroughly read and understand EXAMPLES
e.g.
The type of Delineation I'm giving here is a mix of medieval techniques with those of the Hellenistic authors.

Robert Zoller played great role in my traditional astrology education and this is obvious for those who are familiar with his work.

I need to mention that even though Zoller was initially very fond on Arabia authors, his basic delineation techniques are taken from the early reneissance French astrologer Morin. Zoller studied with Zoltan Mason who introduced Morin and his basic natal delineation to Zoller. Zoltan was also one of the first translators of Morin.

Here are some tips for delineating the chart in this manner.

1. The good or bad signified by a house emanates from the ruler of the house.
This is the basic rule. The ruler of the house is giver of the material of the house.

Zoller gives the example of his own chart where he has Combusted Mercury in 11th, ruler of 4th. He comments that this kind of placement brings adversity to ones home and dwellings.

2. Benefit in one area of life can be produced by adversity, or even conflict, in another.

Again Zoller gives example from his own chart.
Jupiter in 9th in Scorpio disposited from Mars in 11th: Wisdom coming from conflicts.

3. The delineation tells you the what. The
predictive techniques tell you the when.

4. The Elemental Quality of the Sign of the Ascendant is showing the type of Primary Motivation of the native.

Fire goes for freedom of action and power.
Air goes for freedom of expression and movement.
The Water signs need emotional security
Earth signs need physical security.

The person with masculine Ascendant (or majority of planets in masculine signs) speaks in active terms: "I did this to that person".
The person with feminine sign on Ascendant or majority planets in feminine signs, speaks in passive terms: "This happened to me".

The Feminine signs seek advice because they need second hand in their decisions, in fact they want someone else to make the decision for them.
Masculine signs seek advice because they have many options so they are not sure which option is better.

Cardinal signs are most active. Cardinal water and earth (Cancer and Capricorn) are working great amount of actions but in circumstances and environment structured already by someone else.
Libra and Aries (Cardinal masculine) are working great in any kind of circumstances.

Fixed signs are centripetal, they need center. They are very successful in Acquisations.
Taurus hoards money.
Leo hoards glory and honor.
Scorpio hoards the hidden things, hidden motivations of other people, seek energy and vitality.
Aquarius hoards Knowledge.

Mutable signs vacillate between the two: cardinal and fixed.

5. Examine the planets which most closely aspects the Ascendant. These planets add to the whole Primary Motivation thing.

Planets aspecting the Ascendant represent powers the native can use in the world.

The aspecting planet's local determination will be added to the Primary
Motivation.
(Venus in 5th will add love for pleasure and entertainment to the native's Primary Motivation).

The aspect between the aspecting planet and the Ascendant tells you how the being of the planet and its local determination are linked.

6. The Ruler of the Ascendant by its house position tells you where (what area of life) the native will seek to realize his/her Primary Motivation.

Look also at all 5 dignity rulers in the place of the ASC. The Almuten and Exalted ruler are lamost as significant as the domicile ruler (sometimes even more).

The Ruler of the Ascendant (as well as the other rulers) by its nature and zodiacal state shows the methods the native will use and the success or failure of the drive.

This is great quote by Zoller:

Lets assume that a person has Cancer on the Ascendant,
The primary motivation of this person is the Need for Emotional Security.
The ruler/s of the Ascendant and their zodiacal and local state will determine How would this be achieved.

Lets assume Moon on IC in Libra Peregrine.
Jupiter in 6th (but 7th sign!) in Capricorn.
Venus in Sag in 6th - Peregrine.
Mars in Scorpio in 4th (but 5th sign!)
Saturn (term ruler) is in 5th Scorpio Peregrine.

We can see that Moon is strong by accident (being on angle), so we can judge first from there.
The need for Emotional Security this person would seek in the home, in the place of the father. The father would be the means through which this person would try to achieve the Emotional Security.
Jupiter - the exalted ruler is weak by being cadent, Venus too. They can't produce much in giving the emotional security this person seeks.
Jupiter by universal means suggest that the native would seek wisdom, religion (and the person actually did!) but by being cadent and in fall, it can't productively give what it promise.
Mars is in 4/5th and is strong by zodiacal state, but is out of sect malefic.
It would try to win competitions, but also with Saturn in 5th will give great deal of creativity. Mars rules the 10th - creativity and looking for career, would also give some amount of emotional security for this person. But by being square with Sun in 7th it means that it will have opposition from authorities and other people in general.

The primary motivation is great deal of what we unconsciously and often consciously seek for. Once that motivation is broken or someone interrupt it, we seek to fix that in the every possible way we can do that.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member

The idea of the 6th house ruler being in the 8th sounds pretty bad... the 6th house is related to illness, after all. That makes me think of expensive medical bills, health insurance costs, and illness leading to death.

Now you're thinking. ;)

Or perhaps that this is an individual who becomes ill due to an external stresser, perhaps ulcers and tension headaches or migraines. But what does this say about their friends, I wonder?

venuschild

Banned
V73743.jpg

I thought the exact words of a very traditional author, Henry Coley, could show the emphasis of the 8th house as in the following by Coley found on pages 257-258 of Clavis Astrologiae Elimata or Key to the Whole Art of Astrology:

SECT. VIII.
Questions and Judgment proper to the Eighth House.
Of the Time of Death.
To enquire after the time of a parties Death, I take to be a very nice Question; but if the Nativitiy be known, and the Directions run down according to Art, (as it shall be shown in its proper place) the Native may then see as in a glass, the most dangerous Direction that threatens to cut assunder the Thread of Life; but I pass by any farther Discouse of this Subject, in this place. If it be demanded, what manner of Death the Querent may dye? Here finding
the Lady of the eighth House, and in the eighth strong and Potent, and neer Spica Virginis, a Benevolent fixed Star, argues a natural gentle death, and this the rather, because is in of Lord of the fourth, but , Lady of the House of Death, being in to , Lord of the Ascendant from Cardinal Signs, denotes an unwillingness in the Querent to leave this world, and to interchange this life for a better. This House denotes the Portion of the Wife, of which I have already spoken.

If the Question were, Shall the Man or Wife Dye first?
To this I Answer, that finding
the strongest Planet, I should judge the Querent longest live’d, be it who will, Man or Wife, and the Lord of the seventh House, viz. the , comes first to a of the Lady of the eighth, before to her , which confirms the Judgment; thus an Artist may give a probable conjecture upon such a Question: but the surest way is to view both their Nativities, & from thence deduce a Judgment, which is the most rational; if they cannot be procured, let there be more pains taken in the Question, and order it as if it were a Nativity: but to say the truth, I do not much approve of such kind of nice Questions; and an Artist ought to be exceeding wary in giving Judgment thereupon.
As you may note, death and the partner's resources are the main emphasis of the 8th, so by placing Mars in the 8th we may understand what was practiced by astrologers prior to 1700.

Last edited:

athenian200

Now you're thinking. ;)

Or perhaps that this is an individual who becomes ill due to an external stresser, perhaps ulcers and tension headaches or migraines. But what does this say about their friends, I wonder?

That's one interesting mess, actually. I'm just going to write it out like this.

Sun rules 3rd house > Sun is in 11th house > Mars rules 11th house > Mars is in 8th house > Saturn rules 8th house > Saturn is in 8th house.

I picture a plaque on Saturn's desk saying "The buck stops here."

That's such a long chain that I don't even know where to begin interpreting. It just sounds like the 3rd, 11th, and 8th house are all interconnected, and Saturn is in charge of the whole mess.

I deliberately try to avoid the long chains because I get overwhelmed by the number of layers involved. :/

Plus, now we're talking about the Sun, Saturn, the 11th house, the 3rd house, Aries, Leo and Capricorn... which makes it feel like I've gone off-topic.

But I do think it's safe to say that I see why Domicile is better than Exaltation now... because a planet in domicile doesn't have to answer to anyone.

Last edited: