Empty 10th House & slow career progression - Bottom of the corporate ladder forever?

JUPITERASC

Re: Empty 10th House & slow career progression - Bottom of the corporate ladder forev

Hi all,
I have recently been more and more frustrated with my career with seems to have been stalling at entry level after 6 years of experience in large international banks/accounting firms. In addition, I have two legal degrees and speak 4 languages. Performance-wise, I've always been considered a top performer although I have to say that the management in my new company has zero interest in me.

I see all of my former peers progressively climbing the corporate ladder and I'm still stuck at analyst level, which truly frustrates me. I work in banking by the way.

In my view, it is related to this empty 10th house
, but I'm wondering if my chart indicates an inclination towards always remaining at the bottom of the corporate ladder.

Thanks!
often a house is empty
however it is rarely the case that a house remains unaspected. :smile:

e.g.

for this particular natal chart

Jupiter IS trine the empty 10th by aspect
Jupiter is the Greater Benefic BUT is not of the sect in favor
and also

Saturn is square empty 10th by aspect
Saturn is the Greater Malefic
and in this particular chart Saturn IS NOT of the sect in favor

HOWEVER

Mars ruler of 10th IS of the sect in favor - it is a nocturnal chart
i.e.
sun below horizon
and so
Jupiter and Saturn being both contrary to sect
and aspecting empty house
may lead to issues

nevertheless
Jupiter remains a benefic
but
good that Jupiter proposes
may ultimately have flaws of some kind regarding career

Birth-Chart.jpg

wilsontc

Staff member
Confusing 10th with 11th house to Jupiter

e.g.

for this particular natal chart

Jupiter IS trine the empty 10th by aspect...
Saturn is square empty 10th by aspect
Mars ruler of 10th...
Jupiter,

You're confusing the 11th house with the 10th house (the houses are VERY wide so the 10th house is NOT at the top of the chart). The 10th house cusp is at 11 degrees Pisces and so Jupiter is quincunx the 10th house by aspect. Saturn is in a VERY wide sextile by degree. Ruler of the 10th in traditional astrology is Jupiter.

Correcting,

Tim

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Re: Confusing 10th with 11th house to Jupiter

Jupiter,

You're confusing the 11th house with the 10th house (the houses are VERY wide so the 10th house is NOT at the top of the chart). The 10th house cusp is at 11 degrees Pisces and so Jupiter is quincunx the 10th house by aspect. Saturn is in a VERY wide sextile by degree. Ruler of the 10th in traditional astrology is Jupiter.

Correcting,

Tim
Cheers Tim corrections unnecessary it's all a matter of perspective :smile:
keep in mind
that traditional astrology uses WHOLE SIGN HOUSES
and 10th Whole Sign House IS invariably '...at the top of the chart...'

clearly
Ruler of PISCES MC is obviously JUPITER
while

Ruler of ARIES 10th BY SIGN is MARS

most except very inexperienced beginners
are aware that Placidus is simply the default
and that there are more than thirty different house systems

LostinPhilly

Re: Empty 10th House & slow career progression - Bottom of the corporate ladder forev

Thank you, both.

What does this mean in concrete?

JUPITERASC

Thank you, both.
What does this mean in concrete?
Anyone?
Thanks.
many beginneres are unaware

of Whole Sign Houses being the original House system
and Placidus being simply the default
and so

to clarify
my comment addresses the traditional approach
which is to view the chart as unambiguous Whole Sign :smile:

keep in mind that the issue of HOUSE SYSTEMS is involved
because:

When a PLANET acts
A HOUSE shows the area of life in which the planet acts

as well as
how strongly a planet can act

and so clearly the fact is
that the House location of a planet may vary
DEPENDENT ON THE HOUSE SYSTEM CHOSEN
as illustrated by my respons
keeping in mind that
A PLANET acts
A HOUSE shows the area of life in which the planet acts :smile:

as well as
how strongly the planet can act

houses-labeled.gif

the
quality of the planet's expression
is influenced by the SIGN location of the PLANET

Last edited:

LostinPhilly

Thank you. I'm not sure I fully understand as I was merely looking for a translation of these astrological terms into more pratical verbage.

JUPITERASC

Hi all,

In addition, I have two legal degrees and speak 4 languages.

Thank you. I'm not sure I fully understand
as I was merely looking for a translation of these astrological terms
into more pratical verbage.
Check out viewing your chart using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES option

WHOLE SIGN HOUSES clearly determines TOPICS
and eliminates ambiguity of HOUSE location of PLANET :smile:
and then
using any quadrant house system
such as Placidus, Alcabitius et al
assists with determining PLANETARY STRENGTH

tsmall explains the rationale
I use both whole signs and Placidus.

The original idea of quadrant based house systems was to determine angularity,
and never to replace the concept of topics.

So I count signs for topics
and use a house system overlaid onto it.
Because, as I mentioned above, capability
and angularity/ability to act
are two different things.....

tsmall uses BOTH whole signs AND Placidus
I use BOTH whole signs AND Alcabitius

some use whole sign AND Regiomontanus
there are multiple QUADRANT house systems
its a matter of personal choice which to use in tandem with WHOLE SIGN
IF one chooses to do so

Yes, the dominant house system in Greco-Roman astrology
(until about the time of the end of the Classical Period) was whole sign,
but (among the famous very early Arabic astrologers of the transitional period)
only Abu'Mashar continued the ancient Greco-Roman practice,
and the whole sign house format became virtually forgotten (in the West)
until the mid-1990's.

Personally I think it was an historical tragedy for our astrological art
that whole sign houses became lost to memory,
for my experience
over the past nearly 20 years of exclusively using whole sign houses
has convinced me
of the more consistent accuracy of this house system, over any other...

Last edited:

Harmelia

Hi all,

I have recently been more and more frustrated with my career with seems to have been stalling at entry level after 6 years of experience in large international banks/accounting firms. In addition, I have two legal degrees and speak 4 languages. Performance-wise, I've always been considered a top performer although I have to say that the management in my new company has zero interest in me.

I see all of my former peers progressively climbing the corporate ladder and I'm still stuck at analyst level, which truly frustrates me. I work in banking by the way.

In my view, it is related to this empty 10th house, but I'm wondering if my chart indicates an inclination towards always remaining at the bottom of the corporate ladder.

Thanks!

Many people with an empty 10th house have fulfilling careers. I'm one of them. So I wouldn't blame your empty 10th house. With the traditional ruler of your 10th house - Jupiter - in the 2nd house - does make me think that you're in the right industry - or at least - it's one good career path for you.

So what is the hold-up? Well, with a Virgo IC, you could be self-critical - or super=perfectionistic. Are you? If you are, perhaps you need to learn to analyze to understand yourself - be more mentally-oriented and less self-critical, which feels bad and victim-like.

Your Sun, Mercury, Venus and Pluto in Scorpio are intersected. Scorpio does not cover any house cusp. In my experience, it is more difficult for the person to express outwardly - or - there is a need to have a more internal process. In other words, the 5th house is about self-identity and self-development. In an intercepted sign - it becomes something you need to reflect upon internally - to really find yourself through self-reflection without comparing yourself to others or discovering who you are through relationships. Most likely, you need to release the tendency to be self-critical and that would help a lot to free you to explore yourself and become your own person.

Cancer rising is also VERY sensitive. It feels what other people feel very keenly. Many Cancer rising people feel a need for protection - to be more reserved. Your Moon is in Gemini conjunct Mars in the 12th. Moon is ruler of your chart in a place that is not of this world. The 12th house is an isolated place - a place where people are seeking connection with soul-spirit, or who are recovering, reflecting, being creative. In Gemini - you think, observe, reflect, seek the truth. There is a need to seek and find yourself in a solitary place.

Some people are currently having lifetimes that our very outward-moving - social - achievement-oriented. Others are having a more personal, inward, reflective lifetime. You are having the latter. You have quite an inward chart. That means that your biggest achievements will be your inner growth rather than achievements. It doesn't mean that you won't achieve anything. It means that the more reflective you are - the more inner work you do - the more successful you will be in the world. You are building your self-esteem, confidence and self-mastery. Do this and your outward achievements will increase.

In the end, people who are more reflective tend to be happier. We are on this earth a short time. We can't take our money or possessions with us. What we take with us is the personal growth we've achieved. It is of great value to us as Souls. Tend to your inner life, and everything else follows in positive lines.

Other than that, you might do well to change companies if the one you work for is not interested in you. Perhaps if you totally enjoy the position you have, you will be seen as more attractive when time for promotions come around. Just a thought.

blackbery

NO...is the answer to your question. Having an empty 10th House does not mean that you won't be able to rise to the top of the corporate ladder.

Having an empty house does not imply 'lack' but not an emphasis or a focus on that house.

Plenty of very successful politicians, CEOs, leaders, etc have no planets in their 10th. In fact, they likely have more planets in the 12th.
Why? Because the 'collective' is not ruled by the 10th but the 12th.
People who are 'doers', can initiate plans and join forces with others to achieve success usually have planets in the 1st and 7th Houses and nothing in 10th.

10th really is about 'social influence' and how your peers & those in your 'community' view you. It's not really about success or failure. A person with a strong 10th may be known as an actor, a YT star, a media personality...but not for banking or corporate ladder 'climbing'.

With your :scorpio: stellium, there is no reason why you cannot be successful in banking :)scorpio: does rule the 8th House of 'other people's money, banks, inheritances, wills, great wealth).

You say you speak 4 languages but how does that help you in your career?
Are you using that talent?

Maybe you could branch off into private investment banking where you could use your skills better than they are being utilized now? Perhaps deal with one or two extremely wealthy clients on behalf of your financial institution because you can converse with them in their own language?

Almost anyone can be an analyst, a 'cog' in the banking wheel but very few have your additional skills so better to focus on that maybe.

Life is not fair. People with less talent, less skills often get promoted over better candidates. That's just the way it is. Maybe they are related to the top chiefs, maybe they have a special relationship with them...but don't focus on what others are doing or who is being promoted. If you 'hone in' on your skills and apply them, your financial managers will recognize you & promote you....if not, get a job in a different place where you will get the promotion you deserve.

You are still very young & plenty of time to achieve success.

With Mars RX & Moon in 12th, watch that you don't hold resentment and anger with others. Maybe others in your work think you need to work on your social skills? You can join Toastmasters if they are still around. They used to be very good in helping executives interact & communicate better, particularly in public settings.

You've been through a very hard time with the :capricorn: combo throuofgh your 7th House. :pluto: RX back there on the 27th so you can take this year to 're-assess' your relationships and who or what you need to eliminate...there are toxic people that you may need to stay clear of. By the end of the year, you'll never have to deal with Pluto in that House for the rest of your life. It has not been easy for you but you survived.:smile::smile::smile:

I do think there is :chiron: pain that you must deal with by acknowledging it & dealing with it...maybe you were bullied at home or at school & never felt 'one of the crowd'. That was hard & you probably carry that pain with you into the workplace without even realizing it. Eckhart Tolle talks about the 'pain body' & how it can be overcome.

But there's nothing in your chart preventing you from achieving great corporate success if that is your ultimate goal.

All the best.:smile:

Hi all,

In my view, it is related to this empty 10th house, but I'm wondering if my chart indicates an inclination towards always remaining at the bottom of the corporate ladder.

Thanks!

LostinPhilly

NO...is the answer to your question. Having an empty 10th House does not mean that you won't be able to rise to the top of the corporate ladder.

Having an empty house does not imply 'lack' but not an emphasis or a focus on that house.

Plenty of very successful politicians, CEOs, leaders, etc have no planets in their 10th. In fact, they likely have more planets in the 12th.
Why? Because the 'collective' is not ruled by the 10th but the 12th.
People who are 'doers', can initiate plans and join forces with others to achieve success usually have planets in the 1st and 7th Houses and nothing in 10th.

10th really is about 'social influence' and how your peers & those in your 'community' view you. It's not really about success or failure. A person with a strong 10th may be known as an actor, a YT star, a media personality...but not for banking or corporate ladder 'climbing'.

With your :scorpio: stellium, there is no reason why you cannot be successful in banking :)scorpio: does rule the 8th House of 'other people's money, banks, inheritances, wills, great wealth).

You say you speak 4 languages but how does that help you in your career?
Are you using that talent?

Maybe you could branch off into private investment banking where you could use your skills better than they are being utilized now? Perhaps deal with one or two extremely wealthy clients on behalf of your financial institution because you can converse with them in their own language?

Almost anyone can be an analyst, a 'cog' in the banking wheel but very few have your additional skills so better to focus on that maybe.

Life is not fair. People with less talent, less skills often get promoted over better candidates. That's just the way it is. Maybe they are related to the top chiefs, maybe they have a special relationship with them...but don't focus on what others are doing or who is being promoted. If you 'hone in' on your skills and apply them, your financial managers will recognize you & promote you....if not, get a job in a different place where you will get the promotion you deserve.

You are still very young & plenty of time to achieve success.

With Mars RX & Moon in 12th, watch that you don't hold resentment and anger with others. Maybe others in your work think you need to work on your social skills? You can join Toastmasters if they are still around. They used to be very good in helping executives interact & communicate better, particularly in public settings.

You've been through a very hard time with the :capricorn: combo throuofgh your 7th House. :pluto: RX back there on the 27th so you can take this year to 're-assess' your relationships and who or what you need to eliminate...there are toxic people that you may need to stay clear of. By the end of the year, you'll never have to deal with Pluto in that House for the rest of your life. It has not been easy for you but you survived.:smile::smile::smile:

I do think there is :chiron: pain that you must deal with by acknowledging it & dealing with it...maybe you were bullied at home or at school & never felt 'one of the crowd'. That was hard & you probably carry that pain with you into the workplace without even realizing it. Eckhart Tolle talks about the 'pain body' & how it can be overcome.

But there's nothing in your chart preventing you from achieving great corporate success if that is your ultimate goal.

All the best.:smile:

Thank you so much for the comprehensive review! I think you highlighted some interesting points.

I was indeed bullied both at school & at home (all at the same time). I was subjected to my peer's bullying in school for not being "pretty" enough or dressing the same way they did. Then, I was the scapegoat at home with highly conservative and abusive parents. I basically never had a rest from "bullying" growing up. It was 24/7. I'm an introvert by nature, but I think my upbringing really made me more introvert than I should have been and it has also carried into my professional life. I'm a very confident person when it comes to my intellectual abilities, but in a group setting, I lose all my confidence which is my main issue.

Also, I'm very self-conscious/critical and keep obsessively repeating scenarios in my head thinking "they probably thought what I said was stupid or they probably hate me" etc... Hence the fact I'm only the shadow of myself in group settings. I'm great at one to one interactions and come across as confident, but in the workplace, I'm a bit passive when it comes to showcasing my abilities.

I don't use my additional skills in my current role actually. My current role is interesting and I love banking, but I would prefer to be client facing (which would allow me to use my language skills). I was client facing in my previous job and that's where I shined despite being an introvert by nature.

I really like the banking/finance industry and can't honestly think of another industry to work it. I'm passionate about it. I studied law thinking I'd be a lawyer, but finance is a much better fit. I will look into private wealth, it is an interesting area. I'm currently working in corporate.

I agree, the last 2-3 years were challenging "socially". The end of 2019 and 2020 were particularly challenging to be honest. It was one fall out after another (family, so-called "mentors" and people I simply disliked or those who showed their true colors). This year, I'm in a more "hermit" mode (due to COVID as well), not meeting anyone and feeling lonely but wanting to focus on myself. I didn't realize Pluto was exiting my 7th house this year. I thought it would last another 2 years or so. Great if it's the case!

I will look into Toastmasters - they still exist actually.

Last edited:

LostinPhilly

Many people with an empty 10th house have fulfilling careers. I'm one of them. So I wouldn't blame your empty 10th house. With the traditional ruler of your 10th house - Jupiter - in the 2nd house - does make me think that you're in the right industry - or at least - it's one good career path for you.

So what is the hold-up? Well, with a Virgo IC, you could be self-critical - or super=perfectionistic. Are you? If you are, perhaps you need to learn to analyze to understand yourself - be more mentally-oriented and less self-critical, which feels bad and victim-like.

Your Sun, Mercury, Venus and Pluto in Scorpio are intersected. Scorpio does not cover any house cusp. In my experience, it is more difficult for the person to express outwardly - or - there is a need to have a more internal process. In other words, the 5th house is about self-identity and self-development. In an intercepted sign - it becomes something you need to reflect upon internally - to really find yourself through self-reflection without comparing yourself to others or discovering who you are through relationships. Most likely, you need to release the tendency to be self-critical and that would help a lot to free you to explore yourself and become your own person.

Cancer rising is also VERY sensitive. It feels what other people feel very keenly. Many Cancer rising people feel a need for protection - to be more reserved. Your Moon is in Gemini conjunct Mars in the 12th. Moon is ruler of your chart in a place that is not of this world. The 12th house is an isolated place - a place where people are seeking connection with soul-spirit, or who are recovering, reflecting, being creative. In Gemini - you think, observe, reflect, seek the truth. There is a need to seek and find yourself in a solitary place.

Some people are currently having lifetimes that our very outward-moving - social - achievement-oriented. Others are having a more personal, inward, reflective lifetime. You are having the latter. You have quite an inward chart. That means that your biggest achievements will be your inner growth rather than achievements. It doesn't mean that you won't achieve anything. It means that the more reflective you are - the more inner work you do - the more successful you will be in the world. You are building your self-esteem, confidence and self-mastery. Do this and your outward achievements will increase.

In the end, people who are more reflective tend to be happier. We are on this earth a short time. We can't take our money or possessions with us. What we take with us is the personal growth we've achieved. It is of great value to us as Souls. Tend to your inner life, and everything else follows in positive lines.

Other than that, you might do well to change companies if the one you work for is not interested in you. Perhaps if you totally enjoy the position you have, you will be seen as more attractive when time for promotions come around. Just a thought.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your feedback.

I agree with a lot of what your mentioned.

Self-critical and super perfectionist? Absolutely. It's almost hindering me from doing things or even partaking in group conversations at work because I'm incredibly self-conscious. I can't stop overthinking about what I said etc.. It's an anxiety inducer.

As far as outwardly expressing - it depends on the circumstances. I used to be a lot more vocal when I was younger and didn't have an issue being visible in class, raising my hand etc.. as I grew older, I've been retrieving more and more. I'm a lot less vocal (also because my college experience and one work experience in particular have made me more insecure about being vocal).

I agree that comparing myself to others is not a good thing, but in today's society, it is difficult not to. I agree that when we die, we don't take our possessions and achievements with us, but I'd like to die and know that I have achieved something in my professional and personal life & feel good about it. I'm all for inner growth and I think introspection is something I constantly dive into, but I think I can't feel good about myself if I'm not where I want to be in my career. My personal life somehow comes second and isn't a huge concern, but my career is. It's also probably why nothing is progressing, because I'm obsessing over my career because my personal life is completely non-existent (no close family around, no partner).