Reimagining Priapus: The Lunar Perigee

Mew

Well, I've changed my opinion on the names of both the Moon's Apogee and Perigee. For, the Apogee, Hecate, goddess of the Dark Moon. And for the Perigee, Artemis (Diana in the Roman version). Both are Ancient-Greek Moon goddesses of importance, whereas Priapus was a minor God of male lust, and Lilith is an out-of-context Biblical character.

Hecate is defiantly a good substitute for Lilith I really like this one David!

Diana/Artemis I’m iffy on. I think Diana/Artemis as a female archetype is too “outward” expressively. Idk how to explain it I think the lunar perigee when conjunct a planet or point manifests as a purely receptive energy.

But wow Hecate is a great alternative for the apogee!

Mew

I think the lunar perigee conjunct a luminary can make someone extremely magnetic also receptive. People with abundant energy will feel compelled to pour it into that individual. Or they may feel drained.

david starling

I think the lunar perigee conjunct a luminary can make someone extremely magnetic also receptive. People with abundant energy will feel compelled to pour it into that individual. Or they may feel drained.

Artemis/Diana was devoted to her brother, Apollo, a Sun-god. She was his emotional support, supplying him with calming, emotional energy. Since I relate Apollo to the Ascendant, that would make the perigee especially significant on the Ascendant.

david starling

I see what you're saying. It would mean that instead of SUPPLYING Apollo with emotional energy, she was siphoning off his OWN over-supply, calming him down. He was about as hot-headed as could be. That's how she was his emotional support.
Zeus/Jupiter had to contain Apollo's excesses, and needed Artemis/Diana to help with that. So, when she fell in love with Orion, Zeus placed Orion out of reach in the Heavens, as a constellation.

Last edited:

david starling

Diana was considered a virgin, meaning "maiden", and goddess of childbirth. Since the Earth is considered the Mother, that would make sense for Artemis/Diana to be at the perigee, closest to her.
It would also be in line with rahu's description of the apogee as "an aggressive or projective form of the feminine", since Artemis/Diana was also a huntress. And, a defender of women against unjust treatment by men, healer, and again, aiding and protecting women during childbirth.

Last edited:

Mew

Mew, any new thoughts or feelings about the perigee/apogee meanings?

Sorry David, the holidays have been a little hectic lol. I just read all of your replies. I’m trying to scour the internet for more people’s experience with the apogee or perigee aspecting their luminaries. Also you’ve inspired me to read up on some mythology! :)

Mew

I see what you're saying. It would mean that instead of SUPPLYING Apollo with emotional energy, she was siphoning off his OWN over-supply, calming him down. He was about as hot-headed as could be. That's how she was his emotional support.
Zeus/Jupiter had to contain Apollo's excesses, and needed Artemis/Diana to help with that. So, when she fell in love with Orion, Zeus placed Orion out of reach in the Heavens, as a constellation.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean when I describe how the perigee is as a point. I feel like their might be more though. I have the perigee conjunct my sun on the first house. I find it funny now that I have Apollo in my seventh house. I attract a lot of solar individuals. That’s also what I mean by “masculine” not to be confused with manly just “solar” or “energetically abundant” and “yang”. The perigee is more yin and closer to earth. Very receptive and in need of energy.

Mew

I’m gonna start reading up on Apollo and Artemis they were always my favorite Greek god and goddess. We’re makimg some progress David.

david starling

I’m gonna start reading up on Apollo and Artemis they were always my favorite Greek god and goddess. We’re makimg some progress David.

I learned something new about Artemis/Diana, although I've studied Greco-Roman "mythology" for years: That she was a protectress of women from the cruelty of men, and although a virgin "maiden" herself, she was goddess of childbirth.
Also, she developed as a goddess in the Roman culture separately from the Greek, instead of being just a Roman version of the Greek like most of the others. Yet, the attributes ended up nearly identical.
The Perigee is a "measured point", but in actuality, ALL but the Sun itself, Helios/Sol, are measured points along the zodiacal circle. That's because we use the measured points of Celestial Longitude running through the Moon and Planets where they intersect the circle, not the physical bodies themselves.
For that reason, I'm using Apollo as the Greco-Roman god of the Ascendant, since he was a separate Sun-god from Helios/Sol, who represented the Sun in its physical form. The Ascendant is where The Sun's path intersects the Eastern Horizon, and Apollo represents it as "god of Day". I really don't think an asteroid does him justice, considering his immense importance in the Greco-Roman pantheon. For The Greeks, he was on a par with his father, Zeus. The upper 3 Olympiad rings represent successive city-state Games dedicated to Zeus, on either side of the more sacred and personal "Pythian" Games of Apollo. The bottom 2 are merely the linking years inbetween.

Last edited: