Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 08-31-2016, 04:06 AM

Re: Astrology and Narcissism

It doesn't mean that in all systems of astrology. Traditionally in western astrology, earlier degrees are usually in terms of better planets, and later degrees are in terms of malefics.

Terms are a form of dignity, and they pertain to the body and physical existence.

Life tends to work out a lot better when you've got earlier degrees.

Unread 08-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Smile Re: Astrology and Narcissism

Hey, this is all about ME! Why are you going on about yourselves?
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Oddity (08-31-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 05:22 AM

Astrology and Starling
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunraku For This Useful Post:
david starling (08-31-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 11:43 AM

If I were a Narcissist, I wouldn't be perfect, which is why I know I'm not one.
Julia Karmic Astrology (08-31-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPlatypus View Post
Are you sure this isn't sign bashing? What significance does Leo have to play?
Hi Mister Platypus:

Each zodiac sign is a mixture of light and dark.
Therefore the energies in the charts can be expressed in a positive or negative way.

Obviously Leo energy can produce some excellent leaders. In fact, one of the greatest current world leaders is a Leo.

But we can also look around at others and see Leo energy being expressed in a pathological way.

Julia
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julia Karmic Astrology For This Useful Post:
AppLeo (08-31-2016), HarmonE (09-01-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM

What's the difference between a Narcissist and a Sociopath?
Unread 08-31-2016, 12:16 PM

I think this is a valuable and interesting topic.
Good points are being made by everyone, worthy of further discussion.

Human behavior is complex and nuanced as is astrology.
To understand both, we have to get into the deep weeds.
It is best to stay calm, listen, respect in order to emerge with new understanding.

My .02.

Julia
Unread 08-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Karmic Astrology View Post
There is an agreement in the clinical literature about the definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
This is when the trait becomes pathological and interferes with normal functioning.
Of course, there can be more benign presentations of the trait of narcissism.

Here are the criteria for NPD:

Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a cluster B personality disorder defined as comprising a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), a constant need for admiration, and a lack of empathy.

Signs and symptoms
In the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5),[1] NPD is defined as comprising a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), a constant need for admiration, and a lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by the presence of at least 5 of the following 9 criteria:
  • A grandiose sense of self-importance
  • A preoccupation with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • A belief that he or she is special and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people or institutions
  • A need for excessive admiration
  • A sense of entitlement
  • Interpersonally exploitive behavior
  • A lack of empathy
  • Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her
  • A demonstration of arrogant and haughty behaviors or attitudes
I generally agree with this definition, although even definitions in clinical literature change through time but that was not my point.

I wanted to point out that here on the forum in different threads there are listed completely different features of NDP. And completely different definitions of placements in the natal chart.

This is what people should be concerned about.

This thread so far is not so problematic, but some of the threads are, since they are mostly describing the consequences of the abuse and traumatization, not the narcissism itself. Many people who were traumatized and abused don't develope narcisisstic traits, but many times they were abused by narcissists. You shouldn't mix symptoms of abused and traumatized people with NDP. You shouldn't mix PTSD, depression, anxiety, feelings of guilt, shame, feelings of being worthless. lack of confidence, panic attacks, etc. with narcisisstic behaviour. Since narcissism is many times associated with human evil, replacing the victims with their abusers is ethically problematic. It is not the same thing.

Considering definition of healthy narcissism - there is an attituted that we all need certain degree of narcissism in order to survive - you may call it healthy narcissism - certain degree of self respect and feelings of importance. The complete lack of narcissism (lacking any feelings of personal value) can be a problem - and this people become easy prey for narcissists or the result of narcissistic abuse.

I hope you people here can understand the difference.
Unread 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
What's the difference between a Narcissist and a Sociopath?
Hi David,

Sociopathy (Antisocial Personality Disorder) differs from Narcissism, but certainly a person can have both disorders.

The essential features of narcissism are a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy. The essential feature of sociopathy is a disregard for and violations of the rights others as indicated by having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from others.

The criteria for Antisocial PD:

Antisocial Personality Disorder
DSM-5 Criteria -

A. There is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three (or more) of the following: having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.
3. Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.
4. Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults.
5. Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.
6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations.
7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing.
The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits. To diagnose antisocial personality disorder, the following criteria must be met:

Julia
The Following User Says Thank You to Julia Karmic Astrology For This Useful Post:
david starling (08-31-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM

There's a big difference between being "self-located" and being "self-centered", the former being healthy, and the latter being unhealthy. Sagittarius has very little problem being self-located; Leo has to avoid a tendency to be self-centered, in large part because self-centered people get the most attention, even though it's not necessarily a good type of attention.

Last edited by david starling; 08-31-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Julia Karmic Astrology (09-03-2016)
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetraceres View Post
I generally agree with this definition, although even definitions in clinical literature change through time but that was not my point.

I wanted to point out that here on the forum in different threads there are listed completely different features of NDP. And completely different definitions of placements in the natal chart.

This thread so far is not so problematic, but some of the threads are, since they are mostly describing the consequences of the abuse and traumatization, not the narcissism itself. Many people who were traumatized and abused don't develope narcisisstic traits, but many times they were abused by narcissists. You shouldn't mix symptoms of abused and traumatized people with NDP. You shouldn't mix PTSD, depression, anxiety, feelings of guilt, shame, feelings of being worthless. lack of confidence, panic attacks, etc. with narcisisstic behaviour. Since narcissism is many times associated with human evil, replacing the victims with their abusers is ethically problematic. It is not the same thing.

Considering definition of healthy narcissism - there is an attituted that we all need certain degree of narcissism in order to survive - you may call it healthy narcissism - certain degree of self respect and feelings of importance. The complete lack of narcissism (lacking any feelings of personal value) can be a problem - and this people become easy prey for narcissists or the result of narcissistic abuse.

Perhaps I should have given further information about the American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5), the source of the post about NPD Diagnosis above.

This is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. And yes there has been a great deal of change in the manual, it was first published in 1952 and in the past 60 years many advances have been made in the understanding and diagnosis of mental illness.

And yes, most human traits manifest on a continuum from heathy to pathological.
There is a difference between healthy traits and pathological ones. The bottom line is there an improvement or impairment in functional level.

And yes your point is well taken about the need to more clearly define terms. I think that is what you are saying? That there are threads with attempts to correlate various human traits with astrological placements, but with no real operational definition of terms involved. On the one hand, it is interesting to see the threads meander around the topic and go off on tangents. On the other hand, from a research standpoint, it is not an entirely efficient or productive methodology.

As an aside, I have found the forum regulars to be quite intelligent and open minded. And certainly capable of understanding fairly sophisticated concepts. Yes some of the younger members are a bit high spirited, but this can be delightful to observe and does not take away from how bright they are.

Julia

Last edited by Julia Karmic Astrology; 08-31-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Unread 08-31-2016, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetraceres View Post

This is true. However, to state one exhibits similar traits does not mean they suffer from said disorder. A lot of people mistake this, even in practice.
Unread 08-31-2016, 09:03 PM

So, the continuum would be from feeling "I don't matter at all" to "I'm the only one who matters". The Golden Mean would suggest the midrange position is best. "If I'm not for myself, who am I? And if I'm only for myself, what am I?" {paraphrasing a famous Rabbi}
This explains the symbiosis between a cult leader and his followers--he supplies identity for them, and they provide him with a social position he wouldn't otherwise have. Might also apply to religious "devotees" and their "Guru".

Last edited by david starling; 08-31-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Julia Karmic Astrology (09-03-2016)
Unread 09-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Karmic Astrology View Post
Perhaps I should have given further information about the American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5), the source of the post about NPD Diagnosis above.

This is the handbook used by health care professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. And yes there has been a great deal of change in the manual, it was first published in 1952 and in the past 60 years many advances have been made in the understanding and diagnosis of mental illness.

And yes, most human traits manifest on a continuum from heathy to pathological.
There is a difference between healthy traits and pathological ones. The bottom line is there an improvement or impairment in functional level.

And yes your point is well taken about the need to more clearly define terms. I think that is what you are saying? That there are threads with attempts to correlate various human traits with astrological placements, but with no real operational definition of terms involved. On the one hand, it is interesting to see the threads meander around the topic and go off on tangents. On the other hand, from a research standpoint, it is not an entirely efficient or productive methodology.

As an aside, I have found the forum regulars to be quite intelligent and open minded. And certainly capable of understanding fairly sophisticated concepts. Yes some of the younger members are a bit high spirited, but this can be delightful to observe and does not take away from how bright they are.

Julia
I am trying to adress several issues at the same time, so maybe my comments seem difficult to read and understand.

My comments on this topic have nothing to do with my perception of the forum and forum regulars here. I share similar experience and joy of reading mostly very intelligent and enlightening discussions.

I have comments on this topic because it is very special and it is opening the question of human evil, besides other questions. It seems that I would like to put all threads about narcissism under the same roof, but it is probably impossible.

I gave in my previous posts example of the older astrological definitions of narcissism and Sun-Venus conjunction is in the first line. In more updated texts I have noticed the primacy of Sun-Pluto aspects and here I have noticed also Venus-Pluto aspects.

The reason is probably in changing focus of the definition itself. Here is the copy of link Alrescha gave in her thread about clinical definition of NDP.

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy.[jma: NPD first appeared in DSM-III in 1980; before that time there had been no formal diagnostic description. Additionally, there is considerable overlap between personality disorders and clinicians tend to diagnose mixes of two or more. (the link from the other thread)

You can see that NPD is relatively new clinical definition and besides there are no clear clinical types in practical life. But the term narcissism is of course very old.

I suppose narcissism was in older times perceived as a personality trait with the focus on self admiration and as an expression of certain level of immaturity (but probably not seeing as a destructive force), while lately it became a synonym for personality disorder (mostly very destructive one) and it seems in astrology is also more connected with its manipulative side and control of others (including Pluto). That is why probably astrological focus changed.

I presume that in modern populare culture people with the term of narcissism have in mind very different personality traits - from being solely obsessed with appearance (for example) to playing destructive games with other people (including many other traits). This is why probably appear so many different astrological descriptions of narcissism.

Alrescha in her other thread really gave some good points and descriptions about social dynamics where narcissism is in play (this is also what I understand as the real clinical problem), while popular perception of narcissism is by my opinion really much broader.
Unread 09-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Would the version of the fictional character Sherlock Holmes called "Sherlock", played by Benedict Cumberbatch, be considered a Narcissist, by your definition? Assuming you've seen the show, of course! There seems to be some implied self-admiration for his own self-admitted "sociopathic" personality, but Narcissism has other specific characteristics.
Unread 09-01-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Would the version of the fictional character Sherlock Holmes called "Sherlock", played by Benedict Cumberbatch, be considered a Narcissist, by your definition? Assuming you've seen the show, of course! There seems to be some implied admiration for his self-admitted "sociopathic" personality, but Narcissism has other specific characteristics.
He's so an Aquarius.
Unread 09-01-2016, 02:31 PM

How about this for a Narcissistic expression: "I worship the ground I walk upon."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
Cold Fusion (09-01-2016), Julia Karmic Astrology (09-01-2016)
Unread 09-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
He's so an Aquarius.
Both Aquarius and Leo seem to be somehow involved, maybe in combination.
Unread 09-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Would the version of the fictional character Sherlock Holmes called "Sherlock", played by Benedict Cumberbatch, be considered a Narcissist, by your definition? Assuming you've seen the show, of course! There seems to be some implied self-admiration for his own self-admitted "sociopathic" personality, but Narcissism has other specific characteristics.
David,

Great show, fabulous actor.

To understand the link between astrology and psychology, it is important to understand the psychology. Celebrities and fictional characters are a great learning tool. "Sherlock" loves to call himself a "high functioning sociopath".
Is that an accurate diagnosis or not?

Can you make a guess as to "Sherlock" diagnosis, based upon the DMS criteria posted above?
Does "Sherlock" meet any of the criteria for either NPD or ASPD?

Keep in mind the essential features of each dx as well as the specific criteria.
It is a fairly straightforward process. You just go down the list and determine whether or not the subject exhibits that behavior. The DSM states how many of the criteria are needed for a dx.

Julia
The Following User Says Thank You to Julia Karmic Astrology For This Useful Post:
david starling (09-01-2016)
Unread 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM

The all-time work of fiction regarding Narcissism might just be "The Picture of Dorian Gray", by Oscar Wilde! AppLeo should read it, if he hasn't already.
Ukpoohbear (10-15-2018)
Unread 09-01-2016, 08:54 PM

Gregory House in House M.D the tv show is either an Aquarius or Gemini and he is definitely a narcissist. In the show, he's been referred to as arrogant, and has been called narcissistic in season 6.
Unread 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
Gregory House in House M.D the tv show is either an Aquarius or Gemini and he is definitely a narcissist. In the show, he's been referred to as arrogant, and has been called narcissistic in season 6.
House was deliberately modeled after Sherlock Holmes, including his address number! "House" is taken from the old English meaning of "Holme", and Wilson is his Watson.
Question--should blatant arrogance be considered a definite Narcissistic personality trait? Would psychologists agree with that? (Not saying that every arrogant person is necessarily a Narcissist.)
Here's an old joke: The psychiatrist says to his patient, "I have good news--you're not suffering from an Inferiority Complex. You actually ARE inferior!" A Narcissist would reverse that, regarding what others would consider to be his (or her) Superiority Complex.

Last edited by david starling; 09-01-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Unread 09-02-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
House was deliberately modeled after Sherlock Holmes, including his address number! "House" is taken from the old English meaning of "Holme", and Wilson is his Watson.
Question--should blatant arrogance be considered a definite Narcissistic personality trait? Would psychologists agree with that? (Not saying that every arrogant person is necessarily a Narcissist.)
Here's an old joke: The psychiatrist says to his patient, "I have good news--you're not suffering from an Inferiority Complex. You actually ARE inferior!" A Narcissist would reverse that, regarding what others would consider to be his (or her) Superiority Complex.
Hi David,

House is another great fictional character to study. I love this show. I had no idea that House was based on Sherlock Holmes, but it makes sense.

You are discussing the finer points of narcissism, and the distinctions between traits.

If you look at the DSM list of Narcissistic Personality traits you will most certainly see arrogance listed as one of the criteria. However to be diagnosed as NPD, a person must display at least 5 of the traits listed. Does House meet the criteria for NPD?

And yes your comment about grandiosity (superiority complex) vs arrogance is an important distinction. The narcissist has a belief in his or her superior talents without commensurate achievements. A person could be brilliant and accomplished, and be arrogant about it, but not grandiose if they are accurate about what they are saying.

So how many of the traits below does House demonstrate?
Or by Cumberbatch in Sherlock?

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder

In order for a person to be diagnosed with narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) they must meet five or more of the following symptoms:
  • Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  • Requires excessive admiration
  • Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  • Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  • Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  • Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  • Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Julia
Unread 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM

The fictional character "Sherlock" (played by Benedict Cumberbatch), calls himself a sociopath.

Is this an accurate label?

Look at the traits below and make a determination!

DSM 5 Antisocial Personality Disorder

A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:

• failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
  • deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure; (please note that that the use of deception in a professional and legal capacity would not meet this criterion)
  • impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
  • irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
  • reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
  • consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
  • lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

Julia
Unread 09-02-2016, 12:35 PM

According to my count, neither Sherlock nor House qualify psychologically as Narcissists. Dorian Gray does though.
Here's an expression that applies to a Narcissist, according to your list of criteria: A Narcissist is truly a Legend in his own mind!

Last edited by david starling; 09-02-2016 at 12:49 PM.

Tags
astrology, narcissism