Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology

Other Astrology Here, you can discuss anything else astrological that doesn't belong in the other boards. Includes medical astrology, mundane astrology, parts, sports astrology, research and development, degree symbols, fixed stars, asteroids, symbols systems, karma, and Aquarian astrology.

Unread 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

Does anyone call this sign by a different name? To avoid confusion with the disease Cancer?

What are alternate names for this sign? I was thinking maybe calling it Cancerian, in all instances, instead of Cancer, but that would sound weird "Moon in Cancerian".

What do you suggest?

Unread 06-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Re: Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

Cancri [cahn-kree] is the genitive for the constellation of cancer. However tropical systems don't align with the constellations so this would be misleading in that sense.

Karkinos is the crab that cancer represnts . I think this is the most befitting, pronounced as car-key-nhos with a rolled r.
Unread 06-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanna View Post
Does anyone call this sign by a different name? To avoid confusion with the disease Cancer?

What are alternate names for this sign? I was thinking maybe calling it Cancerian, in all instances, instead of Cancer, but that would sound weird "Moon in Cancerian".

What do you suggest?
Honestly, I would prefer if we all switched to Crab, Lion, Maiden, Scales, Scorpion, Archer, Goat-Horned One, Water-Pourer, Fishes, Ram, Bull and Twins. That way more people would think of images rather than seasons. Of course that is not going to happen.
Unread 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petosiris View Post
Honestly, I would prefer if we all switched to Crab, Lion, Maiden, Scales, Scorpion, Archer, Goat-Horned One, Water-Pourer, Fishes, Ram, Bull and Twins. That way more people would think of images rather than seasons. Of course that is not going to happen.
Stop cutting off the tail of capricorn. Goat-mermaid if you must. Must be centar-archer too btw.
Unread 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoam1 View Post
Stop cutting off the tail of capricorn. Goat-mermaid if you must. Must be centar-archer too btw.
It is supposed to be short. Otherwise we can go with winged centaur archer, because you know that sign is winged according to some ancient depictions (and Valens).
Unread 06-12-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
It is supposed to be short. Otherwise we can go with winged centaur archer, because you know that sign is winged according to some ancient depictions (and Valens).
Except then you relay inaccurate information. If you say to me here have a goat, im not expecting it to have a fish tail.
Unread 06-12-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:

What do you suggest?
I just call it “cancerian sun”, “cancerian moon”, etc as much as possible.

Last edited by Sagcap88; 06-12-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Unread 06-12-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagcap88 View Post
I just call it “cancerian sun”, “cancerian moon”, etc as much as possible.
That sounds like cancerogenic.
Unread 06-12-2018, 10:24 PM

I think calling it June 21 to July 22 is the most elegant alternative.
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
Blaze (06-16-2018)
Unread 06-13-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I think calling it June 21 to July 22 is the most elegant alternative.
90 - 120 longitude?

The glyph looks like 69, I think that is far more elegant. 96 is perhaps the best option.

Last edited by petosiris; 06-13-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Unread 06-13-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
90 - 120 longitude?

The glyph looks like 69, I think that is far more elegant. 96 is perhaps the best option.
Great suggestions, and I agree with 69 being elegant. 96 connote an angry couple who hasn't reached the stage where one is sleeping on the couch. Or siblings sharing a bed, but that's the domain of Gemini imo
Unread 06-13-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoam1 View Post
Cancri [cahn-kree] is the genitive for the constellation of cancer. However tropical systems don't align with the constellations so this would be misleading in that sense.

Karkinos is the crab that cancer represnts . I think this is the most befitting, pronounced as car-key-nhos with a rolled r.

I like Karkinos, or Carcinus.

http://www.theoi.com/Ther/Karkinos.html
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM

Smile Re: Another name for the sign of "Cancer"

Quote:

What do you suggest?
Funny you ask. I've been calling it "Mer", for years. I picture it as the Mermaid. I even use a glyph similar to Scorpio, with the tail curling below the letter M. The word Mer is about the sea, with its tides ruled by the Moon. The Mermaid is opposite the Sign of the Sea-goat, known as Capricorn.

Last edited by david starling; 06-13-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:12 AM

Problem is, no one knows what I mean by Mer, so unless I'm reading for someone personally, so I can explain it, I stick with convention. Also, a lot of Mers seem to like the Crab metaphor.
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:15 AM

"Mer" includes both mermaids and mermen, so gender specificity isn't really necessary.
Unread 06-13-2018, 10:30 AM

According to one source, the Babylonian name for the Constellation now known as the Crab, rendered in Latin, was "Praesepe", meaning "manger".
Unread 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM

Mer-crab

Mer-goat
Unread 06-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
Mer-crab

Mer-goat
Although Capricorn can be called "Mergoat", it's usually called the "Goatfish", or "Seagoat" when it's not being called just plain Capricorn.
I'm using "Mer" by itself in place of "Cancer", with the symbol of the Mermaid/Merman instead of the Crab. Although, I suppose Mer people can be just as crabby as a few other Signs I won't mention.
This makes both Solsticial-signs half fish; both are combos; but, like Sagittarius, Mer is upper-half human.
Unread 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM

In newspapers, those "Sun-sign Horoscopes" use " Moon Child" in place of "Cancer", to avoid association with the disease of the same name.
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
In newspapers, those "Sun-sign Horoscopes" use " Moon Child" in place of "Cancer", to avoid association with the disease of the same name.

That's funny. I was also thinking "Lunar" as a name, but saying "Lunar Sun" would probably sound too confusing.
Unread 06-13-2018, 10:55 PM

Each individual planets or planets in a chart may overlay a theme that matches to a God or goddess. [Ancient cancer may have been associated with Hermes], there are three moon goddesses maybe research them and go under their name?
Unread 06-14-2018, 05:58 AM
Banned

In Persian/Zoroastrian calendar which is exactly like the western Zodiac ( starting on Spring solstice with the first 6 months all being 31 days and the rest 30) etc), Cancer is a the month of TIR....All Persian/Zoroastrian astrological names are different to the modern ones that I believe are from Greek sources. TIR means ' Arrow' and in mythology, it is related to the battle of hero Arash and his arrow. Month of Tir starts at Summer Solstice and there is a huge festival that many celebrate called TIRGAN.
The Following User Says Thank You to bsab For This Useful Post:
david starling (06-14-2018)
Unread 06-14-2018, 06:09 AM

That version would be ruled by Artemis, Moon goddess and huntress.
Unread 06-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
Although Capricorn can be called "Mergoat", it's usually called the "Goatfish", or "Seagoat" when it's not being called just plain Capricorn.
I'm using "Mer" by itself in place of "Cancer", with the symbol of the Mermaid/Merman instead of the Crab. Although, I suppose Mer people can be just as crabby as a few other Signs I won't mention.
This makes both Solsticial-signs half fish; both are combos; but, like Sagittarius, Mer is upper-half human.
Ah yes that must be where I got Mergoat from.

Yes I agree the sign can be crabby as a few other signs can be too

What about the Crab? Its certainly a pretty cool animal and described the character of Cancer well.

Although it might be good to have Cancer also associated with the starsign and not just the disease so it has a positive connotation too. So the word doesn’t become like a he-who-must-not-be-named type fear.

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 06-14-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Unread 06-14-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
Ah yes that must be where I got Mergoat from.

Yes I agree the sign can be crabby as a few other signs can be too

What about the Crab? Its certainly a pretty cool animal and described the character of Cancer well.

Although it might be good to have Cancer also associated with the starsign and not just the disease so it has a positive connotation too. So the word doesn’t become like a he-who-must-not-be-named type fear.
For me, "Mer", relating to the mythological Mermaid and Merman, explains the Sign better than the crab. There's an aloof, mystical quality the Crab symbol lacks. Also, most crabs spend a lot of time on dry land, and many species can't survive for long periods underwater.

Tags
cancer, sign