Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 12-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Intelligence in a chart

I have been looking at legendary scientists or just those that are said to have a high IQ, this is what I have found.

3rd house mercury in gemini or aquarius.
eg thomas edison and nikola tesla has a third house mercury
thomas edison mercury in aquarius and nikola tesla mercury in gemini

Ung Yong Kim has mercury in aquarius

Mercury conjunct saturn
I know I was surprised too, but a lot of them seem to have this aspect.
eg Nikola Tesla, Albert Einstein, Ung Yong Kim(said to have the highest IQ in the world-has a lot of achievements at an early age)
Isaac Newton has the square between mercury and saturn. Stephen Hawking has the trine.

This one I was really surprised because of the fact that capricorn is not always a sign associated with intelligence. But then again saturn is the co-ruler of aquarius and also this could mean that they have the ability to discipline their minds to actually learn, unlike gemini and aquarius energies that activate curiosity and progressive ideas.

Mercury in aspect to uranus-which is no surprise there.
eg Stephen Hawking, Ung Yong Kim, Benjamin Yantanyahu(said to have a high IQ, Albert Einstein had the inconjunction. Thomas Edison who did not have mercury in aspect to uranus, had mercury in aquarius.

There also seems to be 3rd house and 10th house activity. Which comes to no surprise(3rd house being the house of gemini and 10th house being the house of careers -and many of them are in 'smart' fields)

10th house mercury-albert einstein. Benjamin Netanyahu. (including him does not convey my thoughts and opinions about the israel-palestine issue-so I don't want to hear comments about that-this is not political)

Mercury also aspects the ascendent or the sun.

I have observed actors and actresses said to have a high IQ-they didn't have these markers-reason for that could be because they didn't enter scientific or revolutionary fields.

So to sum it off, I think whatever aspects the mercury influence the way you think or learn. However, unless you have 10th house mercury energies, or even prominant aspects from mercury to sun, ascendent, you will not be KNOWN for your intelligence or become a famous scientist/mathematician

For those of you that have mercury with saturn, uranus, and with whatever else planet, one of your goals in this life time here is to learn how to learn effectively in regards to that planet.

For example, mercury-uranus-learn to apply what you learned to the real world-and form ideas of how this knowledge can be used, be creative with it. Maybe convey and teach the content to others in a very eccentric ways with interesting imaginary stories related to the content.

Mercury-mars-application, hands on, how you actually apply the information that you learnt.

Mercury-neptune, make a story, us imagination to form a story that relates to the content/information
or roleplay

Merury-saturn-plan how you are going to study, repeatedly memorize the content that you must know, but also form connections to words that will help you remember things better. Also learn how to discriminate and undergo the process of elimination when you need to like in the case of multiple choice questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to love-thinking For This Useful Post:
katydid (12-20-2017)
Unread 12-20-2017, 01:46 PM

Re: Intelligence in a chart

Nice post, but there are other types of intelligence as well. Would love to see if you can extend your analysis on them.
Unread 12-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Great OP.

I think it makes total sense there is a connection to Saturn and Mercury in many iconic genius charts.

Saturn gives the Mercury the ability to make ideas work in the real world. It grounds them and makes them built prototypes and see if they actually work with Earth's laws.
Unread 12-20-2017, 06:17 PM

Legendary Arab scientist Al Biruni (link to chart) has a strong Mercury, but I wonder if his Sun near the ascendant means more.

I think both Sun and Mercury represent intelligence.
Unread 12-18-2018, 11:16 PM

I am not fond of astrology, it is more I have my doubts about its veracity, without the intention of offending. But I like to inquire about any subject and what I know about this matter after seeing many "natal charts" I have determined that intelligence itself is high iq and so on, is reflected mostly through oppositions with neptune to mercury having aspects to Mars in mercury or a mercury in Aries. This after reviewing many natal charts, then we could also say that an urano or a Pluto in house 3 also intensifies the native's intelligence from my point of view. What do you think?
Unread 12-23-2018, 02:18 PM

Mercury in conjunction with Jupiter wouldn't count as a sign of inteligence?
Unread 01-01-2019, 11:26 AM

"High intelligence" (IQ) does not always manifest as high intelligence. Other psychological factors influence its expression.

Moon-Mercury together symbolize "mind". If they are not in balance, "intelligence" may find it difficult to shine through.
Unread 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love-thinking View Post

Merury-saturn-plan how you are going to study, repeatedly memorize the content that you must know, but also form connections to words that will help you remember things better. Also learn how to discriminate and undergo the process of elimination when you need to like in the case of multiple choice questions.
I have mercury loosely conjunct saturn in aries, i like to understand the most basic components that make something so that i can understand anything that comes out of it, but sometimes this takes time and when teachers would teach something in school to simply memorise or learn without explaining the basic structure, i'd hate it! I had a foreign language teacher for example, who didn't teach us how to sentence structure, all the most basic words, the rules for spelling, so i couldn't understand how to do anything! I'd also hate it when there was no method to the way we were being taught something, like, organise yourselves man! xD

For studying for school exams, i'd enjoy drawing things out into diagrams, i can't just be writing a bunch of words.

Capricorn is the sign of my third house, so saturn being it's ruler too makes sense, since capricorn is associated with the skeleton, it likes to understand the structure of things, and i have the asteroid Pallas there too.

Overall however, a lot of these logical type intelligences get offset by other types e.g. i have a lot of significant water placements
Unread 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM

The "IQ" sort of "intelligence" is too limited, and too much influenced by other psychological traits to be of much value in measuring likelihood of success in life.
Unread 07-30-2019, 09:35 PM

Hello to everybody.
I am really surprised to read that information about the aspects of Mercury. I was wondering one afternoon which are the classical aspects in the ASTRO chart which indicate intelligence and landed in your page by chance. My astrological aspects are abundant in mercury (mercury - uranus, mercury - saturn, mercury Mars, mercury - ascendant and mercury - pluto). I also have a 10th house in Mercury. I never considered myself a really "intelligent" person, but I have to say that I developed interests in my youth that were not typical for other people at my age. On the other hand, I think that intelligence is also a broad term that needs to be broken down to specific criteria, since there are many different types of intelligence. But at the end of the day, knowing this information really doesn't change anything (sorry if there are any mistakes, English is not my first language).
Unread 07-31-2019, 11:40 AM

Hi my son is very intelligent almost 17 , he is a rebel though at times . Aced adult IQ test at 12. Left school with top marks in triple science despite never revising and constantly being sent out of class for arguing with his teachers. He get away with it as the head teacher had his back!

Mercury dominant chart with no water apart from Pisces ascendant , which worries me!?
Mercury in Virgo in 6th house opp ascendant
Mercury square Saturn
Mercury square Pluto
Mercury trine Moon

Also sun ☀️ conjunct mars in Leo also 6th house opposite Uranus . Extremely critical! He displays random blurts of OCD . Like Id come home one day hed be outside hoovering windows. Or on top of kitchen cupboards scrubbing them . Telling me how dirty my home was , although it wasnt. When he wasnt cleaning he was busy making a big ole mess ! 😂😂😂

Last edited by starsRus; 07-31-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Unread Yesterday, 02:47 PM

I've been researching intelligence and personality tests for quite some time.

There are many various sorts of intelligence, so we should define some of them and map them to certain signs/elements/modalities.

Howard Gardener mentions 9 types of intelligence, however to map them to zodiac signs, we would need to invent 3 more, or combine the 9 to leave only 4 or 3 (depending on our wish to analyze elements or modalities).

Types of intelligence according to Gardener:

1. Naturalist (nature smart)
2. Musical (sound smart)
3. Logical-mathematical (number/reasoning smart)
4. Existential (life smart)
5. Interpersonal (people smart)
6. Bodily-kinesthetic (body smart)
7. Linguistic (word smart)
8. Intra-personal (self smart)
9. Spatial (picture smart)

However, due to our limitations and some of the common factors in above mentioned types of intelligence, if I was to research this topic I'd have as follows:

1. Logical-mathematical (number-reasoning) would combine with musical and naturalist, reasons being, maths is just a language to describe nature, and music has its' core in frequencies, that is, numbers and their multipliers.

2. Emotional (EQ, interpersonal, intrapersonal) - would cover the interpersonal, intrapersonal and linguistic (how do you imagine influencing people if you can't express yourself properly?)

and

3. Kinetic (including existential, bodily-kinesthetic and spatial due to their shared properties of geometry and palpability) would cover the rest.

If such a division of intelligence is taken into account, one would intuitively map it like this:

1. Standard IQ (numerical and stuff) are reserved for mutable signs (pisces,even though they use the analytics most often while analyzing other people's emotions, they're often found analyzing credit risks in some banks, virgo, gemini, sag)

2. EQ is reserved for Libra, Cap, Aries and Cancer as they most depend on their interpersonal skills (Aries, Libra) and intrapersonal (Cap, Cancer).

and

3. Kinetic is reserved for Scorpio (the hypersexual muscular type), Aquarius (due to being on the move and very...superficial, Taurus (you wouldn't say?) and Leo, who sleep a lot so they could regenerate their estethics and energy.

Of course, this is just a generalization, but probably the most precise one including only three types of inteliigence. The combinations of our planets and houses makes you a more versatile and less predictable person. So if you for example, 5 fixed, 5 cardinal and only 3 mutables in your natal chart, it's best to consider your intelligence to shine in inter/intrapersonal relations and kinestethics (you place bigger priority on estethics, simetry and excercise).

As one of my goals in life, I would like to expand this analysis with a scientific experiment set up in order to try and prove the underyling patterns regarding zodiac and their intelligence types, mainly because I've given up on mapping their personalities with their zodiac signs in a statistically significant way. While your personalities tend to change over time, some more than other, your intelligence skillset is one that can only be improved over time, and you're less likely to develop one you're not meant to on a competitive, career or success making, scale.

So I would like to use this opportunity to invite researchers interested in collaboration to PM me, as I have it all set up in my head, but could always use some help to make it faster and more precise, as well as less biased.

Last edited by Ekonomist13; Yesterday at 03:00 PM.
Unread Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Intelligence is less important than actually knowing how your brain works to use the intelligence that you have.

You can use an IQ test(Stanford Binet or Wechsler, or Gardner's work) and it will give intelligence, but it won't help you in understanding how the brain works to be successful or not.

The Myers-Briggs is not an intelligence test, but its far more useful in determining how we use the intelligence that we have.

That kind of learning requires much more.
Unread Yesterday, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha Bean View Post
Intelligence is less important than actually knowing how your brain works to use the intelligence that you have.

You can use an IQ test(Stanford Binet or Wechsler, or Gardner's work) and it will give intelligence, but it won't help you in understanding how the brain works to be successful or not.

The Myers-Briggs is not an intelligence test, but its far more useful in determining how we use the intelligence that we have.

That kind of learning requires much more.
Intelligence is exactly how your brain works. What you're referring to is "smartness, knowledge", you've combined it with different personalities and that's too wide to even talk about it while trying to generalize, IMO.

If you don't believe me, try to imagine a 4-D cube, and when you realize you can't, you'll see some people are just born with different ways their brain works - different types of intelligence.

Personally, I still can't imagine a 4-d cube but I can make a model of it, because I've learned how. So knowledge can be learned, but intelligence, hardly, if at all.

At the same time, personalities change in the same way you change your diet, location or surrounding people. So it's pretty hard to map certain personalities, which tend to change, with different intelligence types, which can only be excercised or not.

Not to mention there's the factor of motivation. Try to nail any of the intelligence tests without enjoying the questions asked in them and let me know what your score was. So if you're interested in something, it's probably because that's connected to the way your brain works.

Remember, everything in this universe obeys the "least action law", that is, will follow the path which requires the least amount of energy.

Last edited by Ekonomist13; Yesterday at 04:09 PM.

Tags
chart, intelligence