Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 12-21-2020, 01:16 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Yes, very favourably. The upperclass are thoroughly Americanized.

Unread 12-21-2020, 03:29 AM

Smile Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Yes, very favourably. The upperclass are thoroughly Americanized.
How would you describe "Americanized", from your own viewing point?

How is it different from the regular Jamaican culture?

I'm trying to get a more objective view of what's going on in this country.

Last edited by david starling; 12-21-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Unread 12-21-2020, 03:44 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

It's a bittersweet Solstice. Ordinarily I'd be at a lovely party right now. No parties allowed this year.

On a nicer note, I just saw the grand conjunction! Jupiter looks so big and Saturn so small next to it.

What rough beast is slouching towards Bethlehem to be born?
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Unread 12-21-2020, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
It's a bittersweet Solstice. Ordinarily I'd be at a lovely party right now. No parties allowed this year.

On a nicer note, I just saw the grand conjunction! Jupiter looks so big and Saturn so small next to it.

What rough beast is slouching towards Bethlehem to be born?
I've been watching them come closer for a few weeks.

On Saturday evening, they appeared to be touching, with fainter and smaller Saturn sitting right on top of Jupiter's head!

Are they going to converge, and look like one planet?

Last edited by david starling; 12-21-2020 at 03:49 AM.
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:04 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david starling View Post
On Saturday evening, they appeared to be touching, with fainter and smaller Saturn sitting right on top of Jupiter's head!

Are they going to converge, and look like one planet?
I thought they would. But isn't this the exact conjunction right now?

Actually, I thought they would look like the star of Bethlehem on a Christmas card. Something like this: https://www.ncregister.com/cna/is-th...r-of-bethlehem

And I'm sure everyone's heard by now that the original star of Bethlehem may have been the same grand conjunction in the year 7 BCE.

Maybe grand conjunctions were brighter back then. No light pollution.
Private messages welcome if they're moderation-related matters or personal messages for me, but please do not send me astrological questions or chart reading requests. I only answer those on the forum, in my practice, and on my blog at https://www.thebearsnose.com/, a separate site from this one.

Want my input on your natal chart-based question? You are welcome to submit it to the Ask the Astrologer feature on my blog, provided that it follows the feature's ground rules.
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I thought they would. But isn't this the exact conjunction right now?

Actually, I thought they would look like the star of Bethlehem on a Christmas card. Something like this: https://www.ncregister.com/cna/is-th...r-of-bethlehem

And I'm sure everyone's heard by now that the original star of Bethlehem may have been the same grand conjunction in the year 7 BCE.

Maybe grand conjunctions were brighter back then. No light pollution.
11 hours from now. It will be daylight where I am.
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:26 AM

Some think it was Halley's Comet, 11 B.C.E.
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:28 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Some think it was Halley's Comet.
I went to a planetarium show as a kid that was all about the Christmas star and the scientific theories on what it was. I don't remember a conjunction of planets being on the list, but they floated nova, super nova, and comet. They said the wise men would've probably run the other way if they'd seen a comet, because those were considered bad omens.

That was around the time Hailey's Comet was coming around. People were talking about comets a lot.

Unread 12-21-2020, 04:29 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
11 hours from now. It will be daylight where I am.
Me too. I think we're in the same corner of the earth.

Unread 12-21-2020, 04:35 AM

J.A. has replied to J.A. about 16,000 times on the Random Presidential Thoughts thread!

Last edited by david starling; 12-21-2020 at 04:47 AM.
Unread 12-21-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I went to a planetarium show as a kid that was all about the Christmas star and the scientific theories on what it was. I don't remember a conjunction of planets being on the list, but they floated nova, super nova, and comet. They said the wise men would've probably run the other way if they'd seen a comet, because those were considered bad omens.

That was around the time Hailey's Comet was coming around. People were talking about comets a lot.
I like the nova for this. They seem to appear from nowhere because the pre-nova star is usually too faint to see, unaided. Then, they fade away within a few days or so.
Unread 12-21-2020, 05:20 AM

Italian artist Giotto saw Halley's Comet in 1301, and used it to depict the Star of Bethlehem in his painting "Adoration of the Magi".
Unread 12-21-2020, 05:47 PM

Had a customer call confused because he had not received his sms reminder service. He said he was a ‘creature of habit’ and Covid has ruined everything. He was middle-aged but I suspected he was perhaps struggling with the new Age of Aquarius energies, or the introduction to it, anyway, since Jupiter hasn’t met the Sun yet.

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 12-22-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Unread 12-21-2020, 08:00 PM

Winter Solstice 10 hours ago.

Grand / Conjunction NOW.
The Following User Says Thank You to david starling For This Useful Post:
leomoon (12-21-2020)
Unread 12-21-2020, 08:13 PM

From Twin Cities Science Assoc:
https://tccsa.tc/articles/star_dates.html

6 BC Feb Jupiter and Saturn in Pisces, this time with Mars –

(also mentioned 7 BC)
david starling (12-21-2020)
Unread 12-22-2020, 03:36 AM

This conjunction is right on my Neptune, time to let lose with drugs
Unread 12-22-2020, 03:43 AM

Osamenor has a lovely post on the 21st December thread about why this conjunction is unusual. It reminds me of a question that frequently bugs me: what is the easy way to check parallel and contraparallel aspects? I don’t run any fancy paid programs anymore and last I checked it’s not an option at Astro.com
Unread 12-22-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppLeo View Post
This conjunction is right on my Neptune, time to let lose with drugs
You’re losing drugs? What a strange affect of the conjunction indeed

Unread 12-22-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
Osamenor has a lovely post on the 21st December thread about why this conjunction is unusual. It reminds me of a question that frequently bugs me: what is the easy way to check parallel and contraparallel aspects? I don’t run any fancy paid programs anymore and last I checked it’s not an option at Astro.com
Actually, it's there. When you're viewing the astro chart there is an area on the page that says additional tables. If you click it, you'll be able to see the declinations of all the planets and houses that you have active. On mobile, there will be a drop-down box that appears when you click the "PDF" icon and you'll be able to find the additional tables hyperlink from there.
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdteenth View Post
You’re losing drugs? What a strange affect of the conjunction indeed
He's on drugs! Typos are to be expected.
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:08 AM

That is fantastic c.t, thank you! You have to look for the aspects manually though, and there’s no way to visualise it, right? The lockdowns have thoroughly exhausted everyone’s eyes on mobile (and their data allowances), surely, not just mine.
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:09 AM

Not from my special astrologers they are....

Unread 12-22-2020, 04:11 AM

Quote:
How would you describe "Americanized", from your own viewing point?

How is it different from the regular Jamaican culture?

I'm trying to get a more objective view of what's going on in this country.
Through the affluents' access to technology and infrastructure, they are more easily influenced by American culture through media channels. Movies, music, TV shows, internet and such make it easy to assimilate American mores, speech patterns, styles, philosophical attitudes, preferences, food choices.

An example is that the average child that goes to an expensive private school know more about American fast food menus than traditional Jamaican meals -- they become familiar through social study classes (don't know if you folks have that one in your schools but it's like civics)

There are similarities between the two countries. Both have a British heritage and both are melting pots of different peoples who became greater than the sum total of their parts -- the motto of the nation is "Out of Many, One People". So you could say that there were already areas where an American message could easily permeate.
The Following User Says Thank You to conspiracy theorist For This Useful Post:
david starling (12-22-2020)
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passiflora View Post
That is fantastic c.t, thank you! You have to look for the aspects manually though, and there’s no way to visualise it, right? The lockdowns have thoroughly exhausted everyone’s eyes on mobile (and their data allowances), surely, not just mine.
Yep, it's all manual and you'll have to visualise those aspects in your imagination. But it does raise interesting questions regarding certain disputes that face astrological practice, like out-of-sign aspects. A planet could be close in declination as well as longitudinally conjunct, yet because it is on the border of signs certain quarters of the astro community would not count it. Visually, it's literally in the same area of the sky, yet it won't count because zodiacally the planets are in signs where modality and element are different -- putting two primary tenets of traditional astrology in direct conflict.
Unread 12-22-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
Through the affluents' access to technology and infrastructure, they are more easily influenced by American culture through media channels. Movies, music, TV shows, internet and such make it easy to assimilate American mores, speech patterns, styles, philosophical attitudes, preferences, food choices.

An example is that the average child that goes to an expensive private school know more about American fast food menus than traditional Jamaican meals -- they become familiar through social study classes (don't know if you folks have that one in your schools but it's like civics)

There are similarities between the two countries. Both have a British heritage and both are melting pots of different peoples who became greater than the sum total of their parts -- the motto of the nation is "Out of Many, One People". So you could say that there were already areas where an American message could easily permeate.
Right. Ours is "E Pluribus Unum".

Just hypothetically, what sort of reaction would someone wearing a red MAGA cap get in most places in Jamaica?

Might make for an interesting video.

Last edited by david starling; 12-22-2020 at 04:49 AM.