Modern Predictive Techniques

StillOne

I'm trying to get more into prediction and was curious to know what your favorite predictive techniques are and why. It doesn't necessarily have to be limited to "modern" techniques. Any technique you are having success with would be appreciated.

I currently use transits, progressions and eclipses to some degree. Being a modernist, I've found success embracing transits of the outers to inner planets and angles for example.

I haven't dabbled with solar arc yet and I know people who use minor progressions but I haven't explored much of that yet either.

Last edited:

Vyri

Banned
How bout Cabal using value's to fit into the chart, say with using the time as a backdrop that fits qualities in the map? Use a method quite successfully really, that entails associations of Brotherhood of Light Rosicrucian understandings. Should you wish to know the relationships will give the method here.
All the best
Vyri

aldebaran

Transits from outer to inner planets I quite believe it's very clear to see... Although I'm suspicious of the modern theory that he inner doesn't influence the outer ones.

I'm getting more interested recently on the Nodes transits and their effects.

StillOne

How bout Cabal using value's to fit into the chart, say with using the time as a backdrop that fits qualities in the map? Use a method quite successfully really, that entails associations of Brotherhood of Light Rosicrucian understandings. Should you wish to know the relationships will give the method here.
All the best
Vyri

Hello Vyri, if you'd like to briefly describe it here please do. However, if you feel it will require extensive explanation, possibly it would be better to link to another existing thread, or link to a new thread focusing on it specifically.

Vyri

Banned
Essentially you are right my technique involves as lengthy interpretation to apply it properly, but quiet simply put it involves occult values that are of importance in charts i.e.; delineation methods. The forms of Cabal are often exemplified in the time of the question, matching up with values in the map of a horary or natal chart. These cabal forms are intrinsic to creating a solve to questions of nativity or mundane reference or having meaningfulness to an event energy of question; the values bearing there resemblances of active Astrological principles on a spherical ..deep psychology of intention..as these values lend us an insight to cause and effect of a premise to ask a question or intend the birth of an individual. A Child of the Mother, or Father or Family's destiny will often have a duplication of similar patterns of energies found in the time referenced in these individuals maps as links to inheritance tendencies, as mentioned time revealing these reflections. Often these numbers or Cabal references have associations in values or qualities that the parents or siblings as stated above have similar active occult principle's to. The forces are very interesting given their important in ancestral events.

They are paramount to future events that carry a theme all within the life time or the question's efficacy.

I.e.; when a stellium, or strong testimony of energy will give rise to our attention in the map, it usually will resolve itself witt a reference to form as let's a number in the time of the question or a natal, for example, if the stelium was in Aquarius, the B.H.O. L. gives 9 as the value of Aquarius, proving out the theory or subconscious, conscious relationships to form, lending then occult reference, Then during the life of the chart these influences would be felt as importance-to give a succinct adequate answer to the quest's (activities ruled of Aquarius) as seen as an overall picture of energies most important in the chart. The time often brings to our attention where the weight of the situation should be to understand how we may effect a better activity to bring restitution to the individual, from the energies portrayed at hand.

All the best

Vyri

Last edited:

Vyri

Banned
Sure Stillone, Can't quote the BrotherHood of Lights involvement of Cabal..but the associations are very much of enlightenment on very many levels of revelatory origins.

All the best

Vyri

dr. farr

I use oldtime Pauline profection, simple symbolic progression (derived from the work of Charles Carter), and Solar Returns. I also make extensive use of directions (progressions) to natal Lots, and with the Lots I sometimes use transits to them.

Last edited:

StillOne

I use oldtime Pauline profection, simple symbolic progression (derived from the work of Charles Carter), and Solar Returns. I also make extensive use of directions (progressions) to natal Lots, and with the Lots I sometimes use transits to them.

Thanks dr. farr. For clarification, you mentioned directions with progressions in parentheses. Are they one and the same?

dr. farr

No the terms are not interchangeable, and in my use of the word I meant simple symbolic progressions; in the older literature, however, the word "direction" could mean any "movement" of 1 astrological point (eg planet) toward another, using any model, for predictive purposes (in the more correct use of the term, "direction" means either the technique of primary direction or the various techniques of "secondary" directions)

Frisiangal

Transits from outer to inner planets I quite believe it's very clear to see... Although I'm suspicious of the modern theory that he inner doesn't influence the outer ones.

They are surely interchangeable, although an inner planet transit to an outer planet is not going to last as long as the outer planet transit to an inner planet.
When, for instance, transit Mars activates an outer planet, whatever that planet's function signifies to the individual could be influenced by a boost of active energy for 4 days or so.
Yet when an outer planet activates Mars, it's the individual's active energy itself that could be either strengthened or weakened over a period of months through years by becoming engaged in, or engulfed by the function the outer planet represents.

'A transit brings it energy to....or highlights .... a natal trait' might be a good way to look at it?

StillOne: I haven't dabbled with solar arc yet

As the name suggests, SOLAR ARC direction motion is purely hypothetical and based upon, and at the same rate of arc as sec. progr. Sun.
This means that the natal planetary aspects remain the same in s.a.d, even though they move continuously forward into other signs and houses. One planet in the aspect can make a s.a.d to another natal planet without the other planet(s) doing so.
S.A.D motions is obviously much faster than secondary progressions, enabling even the slower social and outer planets to make aspects in forthcoming years that are never possible via S.Ps.

There is no logical reason for them to work, yet they do. Personally, I don't work with primary directions but those who do find them just as accurate.

I've told the following stories before because they are both nail on the head verification of chart factors.

My passion for health astrology began the evening my chart was used for interpretation purposes during a lesson. My first and inspiring astrology teacher noted that s.a.d Saturn had conjoined natal Mars in Cancer, thus completing an aspect it had previosly made with natal Moon in Capricorn many years earlier. She was able to correctly state the years when and what instigated a physical complaint I had undergone and.....more importantly.... WHY !:surprised:

A chart for a client showed an applying sec. progr. Venus conjunct Mercury following a separating s.a.d. Venus conjunct Mercury approx. 18 months or so before. I asked her if she had met anyone during that time and if this initial meeting had progressed (!!) further. Her immediate response was, 'I knew you'd find it :smile:.' She had answered an ad. in the newspaper (Mercury before internet dating!) around that time and had become romantically involved with a widower. He had proposed. She wanted to say yes, yet needed the confirmation she was doing the right thing!

An astrologer on a now defunct site once made the astute comment that a solar arc direction indicates the direction life is taking. A secondary progression indicates how life is progressing.
I've never had reason to doubt his words.

As Hannibal(?) of the A-TEAM used to say, 'I love it when a plan comes together.' :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

waybread

Primary directions are supposed to be extremely accurate, but I've not used them. You need an accurate birth time.

Frankly, as a modern astrologer, I don't do a lot of predictive work. I think people make choices in life and that these affect future outcomes. I don't think we're like a bunch of electronic devices, pre-programmed to function in certain ways and times. I don't practice a fatalistic, deterministic form of astro-forecasting.

Consequently I would rather say that there are good or bad, likely or unlikely times for something to happen.

I do use transits, secondary progressions, and solar arcs. But these are mostly to explain the present or a past event.

blacksun?

After 20 years Ive found the progressed moon the most effective in predicting. whenever it changes sign, house or hits a planet, some life altering chain of events occurs in every single chart Ive seen.

The progressed sun, slow as it is, is just as powerful.
When the progressed sun changes sign, the entire personality changes fundamentally, and new walks of life are invariably embarked upon.

dr. farr

I use the oldtime Pauline profection (when profecting a chart) used by Paulis Alexandrianus in the 4th century CE: its simple, you advance the ascending sign (or any other house sign), and any planets or Lots in that sign, forward by 1 sign for each year of life, counting the time of birth as YEAR 1. When you come to the desired year, use that profected place as Month 1 and count forward by 1 sign for each month; when you come to the profected month you desire, use that place as Day1 and count forward by 1 sign for each day.

Last edited:

blacksun?

How do you profect months and days if you do so? Using which kind of measure?

Personally I find it doesn't work to approach life to the day with astrology except to recognize retrograde points, which are moments when things can slip from your hands.

Venus went into retrograde last week, that was not something that went without causing a lot of havoc and rethinking everywhere. She does this every 18 months. But the other planets do it more often, and it is always a big deal. Mercury retrogrades are so slippery that it becomes a joke if you get caught in it with something you're trying to put on the rails in life, and I havent studied mars retrogrades in practice yet.

Jupiter makes a lot of things more difficult, and confronts constantly with values. His retrogrades cause us all a bit of cognitive dissonance.

To all of life and being applies that when it is observed too closely, this changes its behavior.
Its wise to know in general when a progressed moon hits a new sign house or planet, but to try to manipulate life in terms of this or that primary moon in this or that sign is, Ive found out in two decades, absolutely pointless.
Thankfully, as it is stressful to try to live like that.

Every type of ritual works very well, on the other hand, with any kind of progression that is current in the sky in mind.
Ive decided in 2015 I was going to live from one Jupiter-Sun conjunction to the next, and refer to the time in between as my own years. My life has take on magical quality and some things like my love life are so dreamlike now I often stand at the window in pure ecstasy for long times.

One essentially needs to give to the planets to get something out of astrology as a life-enhancing program.

FraterAC

I think it's best to start with Secondary/Major progressions (1 day=1 year) as that gives most of the big picture. Once one is comfortable with those, compare them to the Antiscia as well as the natal chart. For more precision, add the Minor progressions (one lunar month =1 year). Most software products can calculate these. After that, Transits.
All together these give you the specificity to see how the planets affect everything in your day to day life, including small things.
If you start with transits, you never get the big picture, IMO.
Most modern astrology tends to shy away from getting too specific about the timing of astrological influences. I think that's a mistake. It results in talking in generalities and maybes that really don't do anybody much good.

LostNOzarks

Glad to see this topic with open mindedness. For myself, I spent decades looking at transits coming and not transits going. Meaning - I'd wait to see what 'fate' would bring with approaching transits. Somewhere in past 10 or 15 years, I started looking at 'the best times' and 'worst times' in my life already lived - the transits during those times...and then I began to look to future transits that would aspect those same transits of past. Depending upon the aspects of the new transits, I could piece together a pattern in 'life situations' that transits seem to replicate - especially with jupiter saturn and uranus involved. Ultimately giving me the opinion that oppostions and squares and conjunctions tend to repeat themselves like a an echo. for example - The old question about Jupiter transits....and such. What bounty will it bring? Look back 12 years ago, 24 years ago, 36 years ago and what were the circumstances of expansion, luck, growth or over-doing it. That's what Jupiter will bring again.

Jta

With Jupiter I'm not sure if it's always a "good time" (in the sense of a happy event or without consequences).

Growth, luck can have as "cost", the other side of the "coins".
For example the inheritance (money, house etc) arrives after the death of a close person).
The rent, pension ( indemnity) can come after an act of violence, accident.

But yes as you say, there is also saturn, uranus.

Maybe the planet mars, with the midpoint mars/jupiter which would be linked to "luck". ( with action) but traditionaly, mars is a significator of violence, injury also choc. ( maybe uranus )

With 12 years ago ( arround) or jupiter here ( the year), i don't now if it's the best or worst moment ^^ ( for the expantion or growth).
I look that because this year, jupiter transit by square the natal jupiter and the ascendant ( with retro, start effects) and..

( but there is also other planets)

Something seems interristing, but i think i need to be patient and read more about it.

:)

LostNOzarks

The way I discovered my discovery of Jupiter was to look at my natal chart from age 12, 24, 36, 48, 60. I was able to pinpoint luck vs over growth vs exhuberance vs let downs. Jupiter is the ultimate optimist with expectations that aren't a buzz kill. When jupiter is dishearterned, it can be maniacal. As much free love and release as jupiter preaches, it holds onto things like nobodys business and will continue to blame the world for it's misfortune. I come from a family of jupiter ruled suns ( 4 of them), lol. Everyone else is the problem. That's why jupiter is always dependent upon venus mars and saturn and moon for it's good or bad publicity. mercury blows the horn of confetti or historic outrage from jupiter, who can't decide if it wants enlightement or a party.