How to find a planet's affliction?

whiteswan

Hi,
I am trying to figure out how strong/weak a planet could be in a natal chart. Apart from the standard functional malefics, planets in its detriment or fall, the combustion and the 'under the beams', are there ways to find the level of affliction that the planet is suffering?

whiteswan

Hi JUPITERASC,
Thank you for the link.
As per my natal chart, I have neither exalted planets nor those that are residing in their own houses. I have Venus detrimented in Aries and Moon detrimented in Capricorn. From the interpretations of my Saturn position , I understand its position is not so beneficial :( My mars in Gemini is very close to 7th house and if I consider it to be in 7th, it is also not so favourable in position. According to my observation there are no combust planets.
By taking the elevations and pits into consideration, my mercury gets neutralized :(, but my Jupiter does gain prominence through the elevation :)

Last edited:

dr. farr

Oldtime Persian astrology (circa 10-11th century) used the following table to estimate the relative strengths of the planets in a chart for comparative purposes:

-lord of the ascending sign = 30 points
-Sun (if a day birth) or Moon (if a night birth) = 30 points
-placement in own sign = 20 points
-placement in exaltation = 20 points
-placement in own face = 10 points
-placement in triplicity = 4.5 points
-placement in term = 3.5 points (apparently the Persians used the Egyptian system of terms)

I preferred this table to the many other "scoring" tables available, before giving up all such evaluative methods in favor of ashtakavarga analysis (borrowed from Vedic astrology)-but that's another matter.
Try out this oldtime Persian table to get comparative results (at least for the 7 traditional planets) in your chart!

Last edited:

greybeard

The Persian system is an almuten system. Maximum strength is given to that planet which rules the Ascending sign, and to which between Sun and Moon rules based on whether the birth is diurnal or nocturnal. Then points are awarded planets according to their essential dignities. The scoring system is positive only, with no penalty or negative score for planets essentially debilitated.

The student of astrology would do well to study the above paragraph because it shows how to evaluate the powerful planets in any horoscope, quickly and confidently.

There are other factors that are important in assessing planetary strength. In any chart, a planet lying on an Angle (within 3 degrees) or near one (say 10 degrees) will play a predominant role in the life. A planet that functions as final dispositor of the chart has a powerful influence in the life. When one planet stands apart from all the others in the sky (e.g., the chart of Albert Einstein, in which Uranus stands apart.) it shows a dominant theme in the life. Einstein was "experimentative" (he is famous for his use of "mental experiments,") and he "overthrew the existing order", another of Uranus' meanings. He was eccentric and could not abide closed minds. Uranus.

There are other forms of dignity, When these perspectiives are combined with an almuten system, such as the Persian, the most powerful planet in a chart can usually be seen clearly and the planets can be put in a hierarchy of power that is sometimes a useful guide in interpretation.

whiteswan

Hi,
Sorry for not getting back earlier on.
Oldtime Persian astrology (circa 10-11th century) used the following table to estimate the relative strengths of the planets in a chart for comparative purposes:

-lord of the ascending sign = 30 points
-Sun (if a day birth) or Moon (if a night birth) = 30 points
-placement in own sign = 20 points
-placement in exaltation = 20 points
-placement in own face = 10 points
-placement in triplicity = 4.5 points
-placement in term = 3.5 points (apparently the Persians used the Egyptian system of terms)

I preferred this table to the many other "scoring" tables available, before giving up all such evaluative methods in favor of ashtakavarga analysis (borrowed from Vedic astrology)-but that's another matter.
Try out this oldtime Persian table to get comparative results (at least for the 7 traditional planets) in your chart!
Hi dr.farr,
Thank you for your suggestions. I understand your points except the 1st 2, could you please tell me how do we assign values with the lord of ascendant and the sun/moon acc to our birth time?

The Persian system is an almuten system. Maximum strength is given to that planet which rules the Ascending sign, and to which between Sun and Moon rules based on whether the birth is diurnal or nocturnal. Then points are awarded planets according to their essential dignities. The scoring system is positive only, with no penalty or negative score for planets essentially debilitated.

The student of astrology would do well to study the above paragraph because it shows how to evaluate the powerful planets in any horoscope, quickly and confidently.

There are other factors that are important in assessing planetary strength. In any chart, a planet lying on an Angle (within 3 degrees) or near one (say 10 degrees) will play a predominant role in the life. A planet that functions as final dispositor of the chart has a powerful influence in the life. When one planet stands apart from all the others in the sky (e.g., the chart of Albert Einstein, in which Uranus stands apart.) it shows a dominant theme in the life. Einstein was "experimentative" (he is famous for his use of "mental experiments,") and he "overthrew the existing order", another of Uranus' meanings. He was eccentric and could not abide closed minds. Uranus.

There are other forms of dignity, When these perspectiives are combined with an almuten system, such as the Persian, the most powerful planet in a chart can usually be seen clearly and the planets can be put in a hierarchy of power that is sometimes a useful guide in interpretation.
Hi greybread,
This was a very detailed explanation of how to start with analyzing a horoscope. I think you have also elaborated a few points which dr.farr has written. Thank you so much.
There are other ways to do this:

http://zarathuastrology.zohosites.com/

Scroll down on the left to Astrodynes/Cosmodynes.

Get a decimal numberical read out of the Strength and degree of friction of all the planets, houses, signs, and aspects of any chart.
Hi Zarathu,
Thank you for the website link. Concept of Astrodynes/Cosmodynes are new to me indeed. Gives me more insight. Would give a detailed read on it and understand it clearly. Thank you so much.

dr. farr

"Lord of the ascending sign" means the planet which "rules" the sign the ascending degree is in: this planet gets "30 points"
-if you were born during the day time (between sunrise and sunset) the Sun gets "30 points"
-if you were born during the night (between sunset and sunrise) the Moon gets "30 points"

Note: I would encourage you to investigate the Astrodyne method, it is a very solid one for making these types of evaluations (especially so for beginners in astrological studies)

tsmall

Premium Member
Hi,
I am trying to figure out how strong/weak a planet could be in a natal chart. Apart from the standard functional malefics, planets in its detriment or fall, the combustion and the 'under the beams', are there ways to find the level of affliction that the planet is suffering?

I briefly glanced at some of the other answers, and it would appear they have surrounded some form of dignity scoring, usually used to determine the almuten or winner of the chart over all. For an individual planet it's a bit more complicated. In order to evaluate a planet, it is necessary to evaluate the entire condition of that planet (note, this is a traditional methodolgy.)

Here are two examples. In my chart, the planet with the most essential dignity where it is posited (not the planet that has the most dignity over other chart points) is Mars, exalted in Capricorn. Mars is in one of the "stakes" of the chart (whole sign angles, in this case the 4th sign) and in aspect to almost every other planet in the chart. However, Mars is cadent, out of sect, and impeded by a trine from a retrograde, peregrine Saturn. Mars in my chart is "afflicted."

Jupiter on the other hand has absolutely no essential dignity where he is by sign, exaltation, term, or face, and is setting into the beams to boot. However, Jupiter is on the ASC, free from aspect by malefics, of the sect of the chart, a masculine planet in masculine sign and quadrant..Jupiter's afflictions are fewer than those of Mars.

There are different ways of evaluating the planets, and each gives a separate piece of the puzzle that is the chart. Essential dignity, accidental dignity, and then the actual condition of the planets based on the inherent qualities of the planets and their locations in and of themselves.