Rulerships, Terms, Faces and Triplicities

ALST123

Hi everyone,

I've managed to get more of a handle on seeing these influences in charts at the moment, but was wondering how to translate them for romantic readings.

For example, if the querent is Venus in Virgo and the quesited is Mercury in Taurus, you could say the couple concerned think a lot of each other, perhaps even love each other.

But what of the other planetary influences mentioned above? If the querent's significator is in term of the quesited's significator, do these people love each other, or perhaps are just thinking of each other?

Am I right in thinking rulerships are the strongest influence, then terms, then faces, then triplicities? Or is it not that simple?

I just need some more phrases on how to translate these influences really.

Thanks for your help,
Ax.

RayAustin

Yes, if the significators are in eachother's signs, that is a sign of love for one another, depending what house it is in of course--that could also take on a whole different meaning but if for example the mercury in taurus was in the 1st, and the Venus in Virgo took place in the 7th, that is an easy indication of love for one another.

If in term, it shows that one is liked a lot or is found fond by one .. once again it depends on the house. If the significator was in term of venus, and the planet happened to be mercury, I would take that to mean the querent is in the quesited thoughts, but the aspects and houses really manipulate the real meaning.

The strongest influences is the signifying planet being in its own house -- sun in leo, perhaps a sign of ultimate comfort with the querent on a positive note, like the quesited being the sun, and the querents 1st or 7th or 5th being in leo.

exaltation -- would be that querent/quesited is held in great esteem/love in the opposite's eyes, maybe for better or worse, depends on the aspects to the 7th and 5th or any other house rulers for a better meaning.

triplicity is next which i would take to have a similar meaning as a sign being in its own house, but to a lesser extent i know someone else could have input on that ..

then term which is a level of feeling i could see for a new couple, or two people about to be couples or in a new romance, or if not mutual someone having a strong crush on someone?

and face i take just to be a lesser or equal extent the above. i think 'face' is like the querent/quesited is noticing the other significator but not necessarily enough to take action or maybe the budding of feelings.

ALST123

Thanks for that. There's lots to digest there. Some immediate thoughts, though:-

1) Perhaps triplicity could be between a planet being dignified, and the term definitions, i.e. somewhere between being in love, and a new romance. How about "strong romantic feelings"? Or you could say "concerned with" something/someone?

2) Your interpretation of face is interesting. I got the feeling that was to do with "clocking" how attractive someone is. Almost the "phwoar" factor (if you'll excuse me)! Especially if iro Venus and Mars.

3) Dignity - I get the feeling this can be to do with prioritising someone or something, and having great respect for them. If in a romantic horary question, then definitely to do with love.

4) Exhaltation - can this be putting someone on a pedestal, or perhaps even obsession?

So basically in a romantic horary reading it would be best to have a mixture of these influences wouldn't it? In a long-standing relationship you would need the "spark" (term) aswell as the long-term commitment (dignity) and attraction (face). In a new relationship (term), signs of triplicity (commitment) or even love (dignity) could be a real bonus?

Just some ideas.

Thanks,
Ax.

RayAustin

ALST123 said:
2) Your interpretation of face is interesting. I got the feeling that was to do with "clocking" how attractive someone is. Almost the "phwoar" factor (if you'll excuse me)! Especially if iro Venus and Mars.

Yea I agree, I think thats what I was trying to get at... attraction. :)
So basically in a romantic horary reading it would be best to have a mixture of these influences wouldn't it? In a long-standing relationship you would need the "spark" (term) aswell as the long-term commitment (dignity) and attraction (face). In a new relationship (term), signs of triplicity (commitment) or even love (dignity) could be a real bonus?

Just some ideas.

Thanks,
Ax.

Yeah I agree, however not all these things are present in peoples relationships, sometimes people don't want committment, it might not even be an attraction based relationship, or--some of these qualities may take time to develop. Also long term relationships might not have a clear distinction of 'committment' by dignity you might look for, so I wouldn't base whether a relationship would be long term by that, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Blandy

Hi Everyone, I was so going to ask a question about this as well, but what whic terms do you use, Egyptian or the more modern ones?
Blandy

ALST123

I've just been looking at ways of determining which planet/significator is the most powerful in a chart considering all the influences they can create. I have found that giving the influences a points system helps, i.e. rulership (4), triplicity (3), term (2), face (1), and also dignity (2), exhaltation (1), detriment (-1) and fall (-2).

On the chart I'm currently working on, I've made a table on excel to make it easier to see which significator is the strongest and have found that really helpful. (Typical of an ex-accountant!).

Perhaps this has been done before, but it was just an idea.

Thanks,
Ax.

tikana

Hey people

good explanations

shall we cover peregrine and accidental dignity?

can an aspect be enough when both planets peregrine?

thanks
Tik

ALST123

Hi Tik,

I'm a bit foggy on peregrine but found this on Aquamoonlight:-

Peregrine - a planet without any essential dignity, wandering aimlessly around and very weak

And by Tony Louis:-

PEREGRINE PLANET: Foreign; without essential dignity. A peregrine planet is one that has no essential dignity at its current position in the zodiac. A planet in one of its debilities with no essential dignity is still considered peregrine. A mutual reception by sign or exaltation can abate the debility of being peregrine by giving the planet exchange status with one of its dignities (although it remains peregrine). Peregrine planets in the 2nd house or in an angular house may represent a thief. When such planets are in mutual reception, they may show the thief has changed locations. (Some modern astrologers, like the Hubers and Noel Tyl, have taken to calling unaspected planets "peregrine." This unfortunate redefinition of a widely used classical term can be misleading to students.)

So it sounds like both planets would have to be in mutual reception for that to work, because they would need "grounding" in some way.

I thought accidental dignity would be iro being in the right place at the right time? So perhaps accidental debility would be being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Any thoughts?

starlink

I thought accidental dignity would be iro being in the right place at the right time? So perhaps accidental debility would be being in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Accidental dignity as well as Mutual Receptions actually, are by themselves strong. Acc. dignities are given to planets in 1, 4, 7 and 10th houses. It is not at all bad to think that one is at the right place at the right time.
However, should the planet who is in these houses be very weak, like in fall, retrograde, detriment, then this planet cannot do anything with the possibilities offered to him in that position. Nothing becomes any better. Always a good thing to look at. Can the planet act?? if not, forget about the goodies of acc. dignitiy.
Same for Mutual Receptions. Between two strongly placed planets, wonderful, the people really like one another and support each other. This is usually looked at purposefully when the signifiers do not meet in aspect. When they then do have MR, they find a way around problems.
Should however these two planets be weakly placed, then you could speak of the blind one helping the lame one. They wont be able, as much as they would like to, to support one another.
If one of the two is weak, the other strong, then you see an unbalanced partnership which is not really promising. So accidental debility is actually not really being at the wrong/right place at the wrong time. It shows that the parties are too weak to help one another.

Cheers, Starlink