A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

JUPITERASC

RogerR20130716_low.jpg

CapAquaPis

In 1920s-50s in resort states or areas like the NJ coast, Florida, Arizona & So CA, there were signs on hotels, beaches, restaurants and public pools forbid Jewish patrons from using them. It's a more recent (20th century) version of "No Irish need apply". There were also signs "No Orientals, Indians (Native Americans) and Armenians" in public facilities like small businesses. This action became illegal in many states before 1960 and the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act.

JUPITERASC

The Jesuits are sorry.
Last fall, Jesuit-founded Georgetown University apologized
to the descendants of 272 slaves sold by the institution in 1838.
In addition to the formal apology
the school announced plans to rename some buildings
construct a public memorial
and possibly offer scholarships
or preferential treatment to those descendants.
Now, the Jesuits have started to consider other aspects of their behavior
in 19th-century America
and have announced that they plan to give 525 acres of land that they own in South Dakota :smile:
to the Rosebud Sioux tribe.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/a-jesuitical-way-to-help-native-americans/article/2008189

CapAquaPis

I don't see why conservatives react to the NFL players kneeling in silent protest during the National Anthem before games start. It's time to take issue on the methods our nation's law enforcement officers are doing to African-Americans. My own mother worked for law enforcement (as a dispatcher and matron) for my hometown and the county I live in (during the 1970s-80s), and she swears no officer told her they were racially profiling Blacks, Latinos (more numerous in CA) or any minority group (she's of part Cherokee Indian descent). Many law enforcement officers have a "wall of silence" to not discuss and keep certain procedures and violation incidents to themselves, even when they must be reported to authorities, because abuses of power can't be swept under the rug.

AquarianRising

I don't see why conservatives react to the NFL players kneeling in silent protest during the National Anthem before games start. It's time to take issue on the methods our nation's law enforcement officers are doing to African-Americans. My own mother worked for law enforcement (as a dispatcher and matron) for my hometown and the county I live in (during the 1970s-80s), and she swears no officer told her they were racially profiling Blacks, Latinos (more numerous in CA) or any minority group (she's of part Cherokee Indian descent). Many law enforcement officers have a "wall of silence" to not discuss and keep certain procedures and violation incidents to themselves, even when they must be reported to authorities, because abuses of power can't be swept under the rug.

In prisons, that "wall of silence" is called the Green Wall. And it's very real and very dangerous to inmates' health. Pretty sure their job is to keep inmates from hurting each other, not to run around stabbing inmates themselves.