Will My Baby Have Down's Syndrome?

caltron

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this question because it's been consuming my every waking second. I am 35 and 3.5 months pregnant with my first child (appears to be a girl!), and everything looked great on the initial ultrasounds. However, after a blood screening test, I was found to have an elevated risk for Downs. My chances are 1 in 53. I won't get any more information on this until next week, when I get a Level II ultrasound. After that my doctor will tell me whether or not she recommends an amnio, which carries risks of its own.

I have tried looking at the chart, but have become very confused. I am Saturn, the baby is Venus, and her health is represented by Mars. We are all together in the ninth house. My biggest worry is that Venus is strong in her own house, but her health, Mars, is in its fall in Libra. There is a close conjunction between the two so I'm afraid that it indicates a strong yes. It's very appropriate that I am represented by Saturn given all of the hard and cold realities I'm being faced with. The Moon, however, is opposed to both which would indicate a no.

Can someone please help??

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?...=2010&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&add=18&fix=1&ast=

Attachments

• astro_2gw_40_down_52597_2207.jpg
    astro_2gw_40_down_52597_2207.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 68

Tanne

Hi

Your baby is Venus in dignity in her 5th. Venus is separating from a conjunction with Mars - which rules her 6th. Mars in detriment in her 5th. I believe that her body is strong and the illness is weak plus she is separating from it. The Moon is VOC - that means that things will stay as they are. I do not believe that your baby will have DS. Please will you let me know the results.

caltron

Thank you so much Tanne!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I am leaning toward getting an amnio, so I will be sure to update when I know something.

Vagabondgirl

How can a blood test determine chances of downs? I thought you needed an amniotic fluid test for it.... Ive heard of some women under 35 that got kids with downs and many over 35 that got kids without downs. I think they calculate this risk based on fertility, while its actually the younger women having more kids with downs.

caltron

The blood test I took is fairly new and it's only a screen. It's mostly used for women who prefer not to do an amnio but still want an idea if there are any problems with the baby. I don't know the exact name of it, but I had an NT scan with bloodwork.

At 12-14 weeks, you get an ultrasound where they measure the fluid at the back of the baby's neck. If the width of the fluid sack is greater than 2.5mm, then that is one of the strongest indicators the baby might have Down's or possibly a heart defect. They also look for other "soft markers" for Down's such as absence of a nasal bone, length of the femur, etc.

They then combine those results with the results of a blood screen that tests for B-HCG, Papp-A and some other substance I can't remember and then weight it according to the mother's age to give a probability for having Downs' as well as some more rare, but fatal conditions. Babies with Down's tend to produce higher HCG readings along with lower Papp-A readings. Everything looked good in the ultrasound for my child, but my risk increased because after the bloodtest came back I had an extremely low Papp-A reading.

The test is pretty controversial because most women who are reported to have increased risk go on to have babies with no chromosonal abnormalities. Also, some women who have very low risk according to the tests go on to have babies with birth defects. However, the test is being given more and more because though there are a lot of false positives, the screening will identify 80-90% of women who are carrying babies with Downs while ultrasound will only identify at most about 50-60%.

Vagabondgirl

Ok, I see. Always something new I guess:)

My mum had 7 kids beyond the age of 31, and none of us got Downs. I think maybe there is very much focus on downs, because there are so many other abnormalities a child can get that are NOT downs. Im sure your baby will turn out fine. But I can understand that it is a bit stressful to hear some of these things from the doctor that may not always be true. Good luck anyway:)

caltron

Thanks for the well wishes Vagabondgirl! Yeah it is a lot of stress and sometimes I wonder if it was worth it. A lot of the joy of pregnancy has been robbed from me.

AquariusT

Speaking from experience, skip the amnio unless you plan on ending the pregnancy. Why go through that? Try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy and baby moments!!

caltron

Did you have a bad experience with amnio? I was initially dead set against it because there's no way I would abort just because of Down's. But now with all the worrying I've been doing, I've been seriously considering it. Also, if the baby does have Down's, I want to get over the shock of it early and prepare for the child's special needs. I do worry about the risks of losing the baby though. I can't imagine losing a baby during an amnio.

AquariusT

I did. It was painful and horrible but that was just my experience. They took fluid out and then told me later there was not enough fluid in there for the baby. But don't go by my experience. If you want to find out to prepare, by all means have it. Pick a good day when the moon is not in Scorpio or affecting the baby in the chart.

BobZemco

I am very weak on medical astrology, especially on horary, however I can tell you that there are no Planets in Azime Degrees. That would indicate the child is healthy.

Normally, you would use Regiomantus House for horary, but I don't think it matters as the 5th House Cusp would not be in a Critical Degree. Also, neither Saturn nor Venus are in Critical Degrees.

And it is a she.

You and your child should have a fairly good relationship. Saturn, the Ascendant Ruler is exalted in Libra in the 9th House and Venus ruling the 5th House is also in rulership in the 9th House and is the Dispositor of Saturn, plus Saturn and Venus are in Mutual Reception by Term and both are in the Face of Jupiter is applying to the 3rd House Cusp.

BobZemco

And it is a she.

I messed that up. That should be a "he."

Asc = F
5th = F
Venus = F
Libra = M
Venus in Libra = M
Saturn = M
Saturn in Libra = M
7th/8th/9th Quadrant = F

Because of conflicting testimonies (primarily Venus in M Sign and Saturn in M Sign) we look to the Moon
Moon in Aries = M
Next applying Aspect of Moon is trine w/Saturn = M
Moon will be in Gemini = M

Last edited:

dr. farr

(Following is not in accordance with standard horary practice)

According to the Walis Magic 8 Ball technique:
-I would take the 7th house as baby's significator (represents "the other person" according to Al-Biruni)
-the sign on the 7th = Cancer*
-Cancer posits the current position of the Dragon's Tail (South Node)
...therefore, according to the Magic 8 Ball "rules", the answer to this question is "no your baby will not have Down's syndrome"

*interesting that the baby's ("other person") significator here is a feminine sign...

Vagabondgirl

I did. It was painful and horrible but that was just my experience. They took fluid out and then told me later there was not enough fluid in there for the baby. But don't go by my experience. If you want to find out to prepare, by all means have it. Pick a good day when the moon is not in Scorpio or affecting the baby in the chart.

I know a woman who did the amnio, because the offer it to women over 35. She was 46 when she was pregnant. I think the amnio was taken at 3 months or something, not 100% sure.... But she delivered the child way too early, week 27 I think? Not sure if its related to the womans age or the amnio. They say that the miscarriage usually happens straight away, but what do I know....

caltron

BobZemco and Dr. Farr, thank you so much for your interpretations. I have lurked on this forum for several weeks, and I have always followed your horary readings with great interest. I'm so happy you both took the time to answer my question.

On the gender question, it's interesting because right before I found out I was pregnant I had a very vivid dream. My late mother came to visit me and I had just popped out a baby without even knowing I was pregnant. In the dream, the baby looked a lot like a girl, and even though I didn't examine his genitalia there was no doubt in my mind that he was a boy. So I'm not surprised there is some ambiguity around the baby's gender.

Aquarius and vagabond, what frightening stories!!! I can't imagine.

tikana

Cal

your baby is fine because Venus rules your 5th house it is its rulership so that shows the strength of the baby.

nnode is on your asce
moon is a bit weak and it was oppositing your 5th ruler (i am wonderig is it difficult pregnancy?)
moon is void so IMO nothing will come of the question..
so the baby is fine!

T

GeraniumSA

What I see in the chart you posted is that the worry about the risk is actually the worst problem. (All the connections to the moon.) I suggest taking up prayer/meditation/relaxing hobbies etc.--whatever helps you keep calm and relaxed. If you can relax, that will be the most helpful thing for your child's health.

caltron

Thanks Tikana! It is really making me feel good to see that no one so far sees anything bad in my chart.

Geranium, truer words have never been spoken! My dh seems blissfully unaffected by this whole ordeal. Whether the baby has downs, whether it doesn't, he feels we can deal. It's a good thing we both aren't worriers.

It's interesting because I had a chart done asking the question "Will I get pregnant next month". The chart was a "yes", but the south node was in the first house. I read that Lilly believes that when the south node is in the fifth house, there is a danger to the baby healthwise, but when it is in the first house, the mother will be very fearful and anxious about the pregnancy. Lilly was definitely right on the money with that observation, because so far it's been one thing after the other. I probably have hundreds of new gray hairs.

Last edited:

Prisma

Did you have a bad experience with amnio? I was initially dead set against it because there's no way I would abort just because of Down's. But now with all the worrying I've been doing, I've been seriously considering it. Also, if the baby does have Down's, I want to get over the shock of it early and prepare for the child's special needs. I do worry about the risks of losing the baby though. I can't imagine losing a baby during an amnio.

Interesting! I had a couple of days ago the Amnio/no Amnio debate (went to the Dr., not realizing that I could be ofered the test, etc). Did not take the test, because of a little fear, was not prepared, had an abortion threat on 10/01 and at least on the sonograms and blood work performed things seem to be alright. (They told me that I had the risk of a 26 years old-- hope that girl of 26's is a lucky/healthy one).

I can still have the test... will see.

...If you want to find out to prepare... Pick a good day when the moon is not in Scorpio or affecting the baby in the chart.

Nice to know about the pointers AquariusT gave about it: Moon not in Scorpio and affecting the baby. It is nice to learn.

On a thread I started, about my pregnancy worries, I posted a chart about the event of 10/01. On that chart, the Moon was in the late degrees of the 6th house, in Cancer (15°35' I think), and aspecting Venus in trine. Venus was in Scorpio.

Hope you & your baby are doing fine now, caltron.

PD: Mine is a girl!:love:

http://astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=250956#post250956

Prisma

Last edited:

caltron

Prisma, I hope all is well with you and your baby!! I never realized how stressful pregnancy can be, especially with how far technology has advanced. I always come back from my doc with something new to worry about. I've got three months to go though and so far things are looking good.