Made to be alone

saturnsayshi

I have always had the distinct feeling I wasn't "made for" this life somehow, even when I was little. I thought the feeling would lessen as I got older, but it hasn't. I'm not great at having friends, I don't enjoy co-habiting with partners, I don't miss long periods without romantic company. I hate being part of any group, club, organization, company, university, etc. except on an ad hoc basis as I feel inspired to do so.

Even for the man I've loved deeply for the past six years and who has been so exceedingly patient with me (Sun/Moon/ASC in Cancer, go figure)... I can't seem to be happy leading a normal life. When we finally made a home together, all I could think about was being alone again... until I finally just left him, even though I'm the first to admit I still love him. It terrifies me that I could have been so unhappy to have been loved so completely. When I look through all of my past relationships, the men I've dated have been so good to me. And I've left them all, abruptly and with little regret. (Venus square Mars?)

I spent most of my younger years very painfully alone -- the one strange child on the playground who was never teased, but neither had friends -- and I think I grew up not understanding how to incorporate people into my life, not really trusting anyone and gradually adapting to a life of solitude.

The most pure happiness I've felt in my life are the times I have been most alone, most unneeded and unnoticed. Detached. I'm so horrified that the conditions of my happiness seem to exclude being a real participant of the expected parts of life, and more unbearably -- that I've hurt people who have tried to care about me. I don't want children, don't want to be married, I never finished college, I'm self-employed and work from home, I don't enjoy keeping pets, I grow to resent anyone and anything that needs me. And I like it that way. I feel really, truly at peace with the world in my moments alone.

Looking at my chart, these traits don't seem completely out of the blue. Pluto in the 11th house is the highest point of my chart, afflicted in its squares to my Mercury and Moon in Aquarius. The Merc/Pluto square makes me lose my cool if subjected to small talk. If we aren't discussing the secrets to the universe or your darkest, weirdest observations about life within five minutes of meeting, I am totally over it. And the Moon/Pluto square... well, I can be pretty dark and fatalistic. In general, the overactive Pluto in Scorpio seems too intense for most people and I have a certain look in my eyes that makes me seems like I could laser-cut diamonds with them.

I also have a busy 1st house and almost all of my planets in the 1st quadrant of the chart -- making for a very "me"-focused personality, whether I want it or not. Uranus in the 1st... give me liberty or give me death. Neptune in the 1st... what planet am I on again? Saturn in the 1st... I have a pretty harsh outlook on life and I'm hard on myself too.

Chiron in Gemini... I frequently feel like nobody listens to me. Even when I communicate in explicit, plain English, the things I say to people don't seem to stick. So I tell them again. And again. And then when they come back to me later and say something like, "Well, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?!?" I nearly go mad.

For all this negative stuff, I have a ton of intellectual gifts, although they frequently feel like a burden too... my intellectualism proves very alienating to some people.

I'm not heartless... (Venus in Pisces, big softy) I'm the person who tears up at cheesy commercials and can't stand to squash a spider... and I feel broken that I decided to leave my partner, the one person on this planet who could possibly understand me completely and still want to be with me and want to marry me. And yet, even for that... I dream of being alone. A bed for one, a house for one, a life for one. I used to regard adults (typically men, it's unusual to meet solitary women) who led solo lives in their perma-bachelor pads as complete freaks, somehow failures to integrate with society. And then I realized I'm the female version of them.

At the very least, I'm trying to find a way to lead a simple, quiet life that makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone. I feel like I should come with a disclaimer when I meet new people: "I won't lie to you, but even if I love you more than anything, I will always feel threatened by being needed, by demands you make on my time and my life. The only way to continue having me in your life is to treat me like a cactus: don't get too close, leave me where you found me."

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 65

Alitta the Archer

Having Saturn in the 1st House regardless of its aspects can be really troublesome for anyone.
I have a female cousin who has Saturn on the 1st House, a Pisces Moon and Pluto on the cusp of her 11th House and boy did she took complexity to a new entire level !
She lives in an unbreakable shell of her own making totally refusing to be involved in anything and with anyone, she is so negative to the point of being suicidal. She always feels alienated like she doesn't belong anywhere and she is to an extent incapable of holding even a small idle chat with anyone; she is absolutely terrified of people getting too close. As kids, we used to joke around and call her the ice princess but we stopped doing it when we found that she cried because of it.

Cypocryphy

Hey Saturnsayshi:

Just looking at your chart, you have nearly all of your planets in the North Western portion of your chart. I emphasize this: you have nearly all of your planets in the North Western side of your chart.

Not going in an in-depth analysis, you have your planets forming relationships with one another that tend to make a person so that he or she is not reliant on others. This means you do just fine by yourself. You simply just don't need anyone. Whether you eventually want someone in your life will be another matter, but astrologically, you are a self-sufficient loner. It's as plain as day. Well, as plain as night since you have a night chart. :lol:

Don't get down on yourself. A salamander doesn't get down on itself because it likes cold, dark places, where it feels comfortable because it can't be seen. I'm not saying you are a salamander, but just that you shouldn't fret (if you are) about your being a loner. It's your nature.

saturnsayshi

Well, I found your post to be moving and I exhibit some similarities to you. However, I don't exhibit them to the extent you do... yet. It seems to be progressing that way.

The first thing I noticed is that the ruler of your 12th house is in the 1st house (Saturn). I think this gives reason for this situation in your life. However, with Uranus conjunct it can manifest differently and unpredictably.

Here's a link that I found that most likely illuminates this situation better than I could: http://astrofix.net/2010/05/25/ruler-of-the-12th-house-in-houses/#ixzz2OAsYLZqj

BTW, your chart came out a bit distorted. You may consider reposting it.

It did upload distorted, weird! Trying again.

I'd never thought to look at the position of the ruler of the 12th, I'm not quite that astrologically advanced. Wouldn't Scorpio be my 12th house and the ruler, Pluto, be in my 11th?

But that whole description makes a ton of sense. Especially the part about looking sad!

Having Saturn in the 1st House regardless of its aspects can be really troublesome for anyone.
I have a female cousin who has Saturn on the 1st House, a Pisces Moon and Pluto on the cusp of her 11th House and boy did she took complexity to a new entire level !
She lives in an unbreakable shell of her own making totally refusing to be involved in anything and with anyone, she is so negative to the point of being suicidal. She always feels alienated like she doesn't belong anywhere and she is to an extent incapable of holding even a small idle chat with anyone; she is absolutely terrified of people getting too close. As kids, we used to joke around and call her the ice princess but we stopped doing it when we found that she cried because of it.

I've been called horrible names. Not as a child, as an adult. Sometimes by people who've never met me. Venomous, emotionally toxic, ice queen, etc. For some reason even my best intentions to behave honorably and with integrity are horribly misunderstood. At one point I posted the full list of names people have called me on my bedroom door. It took six sheets of printer paper to write them all out. I can honestly say I'm scarred for life by how cruel people are.

Hey Saturnsayshi:

Just looking at your chart, you have nearly all of your planets in the North Western portion of your chart. I emphasize this: you have nearly all of your planets in the North Western side of your chart.

Not going in an in-depth analysis, you have your planets forming relationships with one another that tend to make a person so that he or she is not reliant on others. This means you do just fine by yourself. You simply just don't need anyone. Whether you eventually want someone in your life will be another matter, but astrologically, you are a self-sufficient loner. It's as plain as day. Well, as plain as night since you have a night chart. :lol:

Don't get down on yourself. A salamander doesn't get down on itself because it likes cold, dark places, where it feels comfortable because it can't be seen. I'm not saying you are a salamander, but just that you shouldn't fret (if you are) about your being a loner. It's your nature.

Lol, a salamander! I like that. :) I am definitely too hard on myself and have made my life harder by realizing my strangenesses and trying to "iron them out" by forcing myself into highly interactive life situations, hoping that it's a matter of trying something new, learning how to adapt. But it isn't. I was the youngest in my family and have always been considered by family and long-time friends to be the "wasted genius" -- the one who could have been most successful of all if I had any interest in becoming a normal part of the world. Dealing with so much disappointment from so many people I care about drove me to very self-destructive tendencies when I was a teenager.

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 38

saturnsayshi

My bad, yes, I suppose I got confused... sorry for the mis-info there!

No worries! The description you sent me first fits a bit better than the correct one, although this line struck me for ruler of the 12th in the 11th: "You desire to escape from reality by merging with the crowd." I live a carless lifestyle and take public transit frequently, and I really do enjoy the feeling of "merging" with my community that I derive from it. The lonely stranger who feels less alone just by being next to someone they aren't talking to. :)

I tried posting my chart again, but it distorted again. The file is fine when I view it on my desktop. Oh well.

IleneK

Premium Member
I have always had the distinct feeling I wasn't "made for" this life somehow, even when I was little. I thought the feeling would lessen as I got older, but it hasn't. I'm not great at having friends, I don't enjoy co-habiting with partners, I don't miss long periods without romantic company. I hate being part of any group, club, organization, company, university, etc. except on an ad hoc basis as I feel inspired to do so.

Even for the man I've loved deeply for the past six years and who has been so exceedingly patient with me (Sun/Moon/ASC in Cancer, go figure)... I can't seem to be happy leading a normal life. When we finally made a home together, all I could think about was being alone again... until I finally just left him, even though I'm the first to admit I still love him. It terrifies me that I could have been so unhappy to have been loved so completely. When I look through all of my past relationships, the men I've dated have been so good to me. And I've left them all, abruptly and with little regret. (Venus square Mars?)

I spent most of my younger years very painfully alone -- the one strange child on the playground who was never teased, but neither had friends -- and I think I grew up not understanding how to incorporate people into my life, not really trusting anyone and gradually adapting to a life of solitude.

The most pure happiness I've felt in my life are the times I have been most alone, most unneeded and unnoticed. Detached. I'm so horrified that the conditions of my happiness seem to exclude being a real participant of the expected parts of life, and more unbearably -- that I've hurt people who have tried to care about me. I don't want children, don't want to be married, I never finished college, I'm self-employed and work from home, I don't enjoy keeping pets, I grow to resent anyone and anything that needs me. And I like it that way. I feel really, truly at peace with the world in my moments alone.

Looking at my chart, these traits don't seem completely out of the blue. Pluto in the 11th house is the highest point of my chart, afflicted in its squares to my Mercury and Moon in Aquarius. The Merc/Pluto square makes me lose my cool if subjected to small talk. If we aren't discussing the secrets to the universe or your darkest, weirdest observations about life within five minutes of meeting, I am totally over it. And the Moon/Pluto square... well, I can be pretty dark and fatalistic. In general, the overactive Pluto in Scorpio seems too intense for most people and I have a certain look in my eyes that makes me seems like I could laser-cut diamonds with them.

I also have a busy 1st house and almost all of my planets in the 1st quadrant of the chart -- making for a very "me"-focused personality, whether I want it or not. Uranus in the 1st... give me liberty or give me death. Neptune in the 1st... what planet am I on again? Saturn in the 1st... I have a pretty harsh outlook on life and I'm hard on myself too.

Chiron in Gemini... I frequently feel like nobody listens to me. Even when I communicate in explicit, plain English, the things I say to people don't seem to stick. So I tell them again. And again. And then when they come back to me later and say something like, "Well, WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO?!?" I nearly go mad.

For all this negative stuff, I have a ton of intellectual gifts, although they frequently feel like a burden too... my intellectualism proves very alienating to some people.

I'm not heartless... (Venus in Pisces, big softy) I'm the person who tears up at cheesy commercials and can't stand to squash a spider... and I feel broken that I decided to leave my partner, the one person on this planet who could possibly understand me completely and still want to be with me and want to marry me. And yet, even for that... I dream of being alone. A bed for one, a house for one, a life for one. I used to regard adults (typically men, it's unusual to meet solitary women) who led solo lives in their perma-bachelor pads as complete freaks, somehow failures to integrate with society. And then I realized I'm the female version of them.

At the very least, I'm trying to find a way to lead a simple, quiet life that makes me happy and doesn't hurt anyone. I feel like I should come with a disclaimer when I meet new people: "I won't lie to you, but even if I love you more than anything, I will always feel threatened by being needed, by demands you make on my time and my life. The only way to continue having me in your life is to treat me like a cactus: don't get too close, leave me where you found me."

Just wanted to say that I deeply appreciate your need for solitude, to be alone. And I have a very close woman friend who also has great need for and appreciates her solitude. It replenishes me and I take great joy in it.

I am sympathetic to your relationship circumstances as well. It is amazing I have found one. But it is with a man whom I dearly love and loves me, and his need for solitude is as great as mine. So we work our lives and our living space to support and enhance solitude for each of us.

But back to you. I am glad you are making your life more consonant with your inherent needs. There are more folk like us out there, men and women. I know that whether you walk you path by yourself, or with another like yourself in this respect, there are joyous and peaceful prospects for you.

Wishing you the very best,

Last edited:

StillOne

Thanks Ilene for sharing that! I think it gives hope to some of us who desire to be in a relationship but don't think we can since we require periods of solitude in order to recharge. It's good to know that there are others out there that require this too!

Zarathu

Account Closed
You've gotten some heartfelt reponses to your long post about your chart.

Much of what you've said vibrates with my own childhood more than half a century a ago.

But.... I was wondering if you has a question here that you did not ask but were hoping that someone would answer and you would NOT have to ask it.

Or perhaps you still could either here or in a PM.

Zarathu

!4C

My problem is that go between both extremes based on mood. I've really confused people with my extremes between the party guy who shocks people by doing anything and the recluse who shocks people by turning down invitations. I find that I switch phases when I get fatigued from people or fatigued from own thoughts. Because of my unpredictability, people don't know if they are welcomed or not. It's just as frustrating for me when I get left behind on something I would have participated in. :pinched: Star-crossed I guess.

If I'm understanding correctly, saturnsayshi is comfortable with being alone, but is tormented by not living up to other people's expectations. That is understandable. Since the problem is with other people, I'm not sure what can be done, besides growing a thick skin.

IleneK

Premium Member
If I'm understanding correctly, saturnsayshi is comfortable with being alone, but is tormented by not living up to other people's expectations. That is understandable. Since the problem is with other people, I'm not sure what can be done, besides growing a thick skin.

I think that truly connecting with the belief that you are fine just as you are and then living in a way that feels aligned with that is all that may be required.
icon7.gif