Reconciling Chart Systems

Holist

I've been reading a lot about the different charting systems lately, and I know there is no "right way" so that's not what I'm here to ask. It seems like the eternal conflict in the astrology community is about how to place the angles, and nobody can agree on the best approach to this.

For years I have used placidus but recently I have been experimenting with whole signs. I discovered the flaws of placidus when a friend from Iceland visited me, and I thought my software was malfunctioning when half of his chart was covered by a single house. I became attracted to Whole Signs because it's the oldest house system, and rather than making the ascendant sign the whole first house, it places the ascendant in its true position in the chart. This makes more sense to me.

What's troubling me is that it completely shifts the houses in my chart and tells a very different story about my life, some of it believable. It's kind of shocking. Other astrologers I've spoken to said the important thing is to keep an open mind and take information from all the different charting systems, but I am finding myself trying to figure out which system tells the "most accurate story" of my life. One astrologer I spoke to said that she doesn't use the houses at all but just looks at the planets. I find that kind of crazy!

Which charting system do you prefer and why? How do you reconcile the different stories the different systems tell about your life?

I'm also curious what people think of Whole Signs, if you use it.

mdinaz

I use Placidus for most people except those I know who were born in far latitudes, in which case I'll use whole house. I think the rule of thumb is any birth farther north than 55 degrees latitude (north or south). Some may use 60 degrees but I think that's too far.
But on the other hand, those born in extreme latitudes do have more extreme lives due to the weather and amount of sunlight (or lack thereof). If you live your entire life there, it may be indeed more accurate to use the distorted houses since they'll be more focused on survival, which is reflected by the biggest houses, the 4th and 10th.

JUPITERASC

I've been reading a lot about the different charting systems lately, and I know there is no "right way" so that's not what I'm here to ask. It seems like the eternal conflict in the astrology community is about how to place the angles, and nobody can agree on the best approach to this.

For years I have used placidus but recently I have been experimenting with whole signs. I discovered the flaws of placidus when a friend from Iceland visited me, and I thought my software was malfunctioning when half of his chart was covered by a single house. I became attracted to Whole Signs because it's the oldest house system, and rather than making the ascendant sign the whole first house, it places the ascendant in its true position in the chart. This makes more sense to me.

What's troubling me is that it completely shifts the houses in my chart and tells a very different story about my life, some of it believable. It's kind of shocking. Other astrologers I've spoken to said the important thing is to keep an open mind and take information from all the different charting systems, but I am finding myself trying to figure out which system tells the "most accurate story" of my life. One astrologer I spoke to said that she doesn't use the houses at all but just looks at the planets. I find that kind of crazy!

Which charting system do you prefer and why? How do you reconcile the different stories the different systems tell about your life?

I'm also curious what people think of Whole Signs, if you use it.
WHOLE SIGN HOUSES eliminates ambiguity of HOUSE location
and then
using any quadrant house system
such as Placidus, Alcabitius et al
assists with determining PLANETARY STRENGTH

i.e.
No need to switch/use one or the other
USE BOTH
here's why/how :smile:
tsmalls comment at
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=94683
explains the rationale

I use both whole signs and Placidus.
The original idea of quadrant based house systems was to determine angularity,
and never to replace the concept of topics.
So I count signs for topics
and use a house system overlaid onto it.

Because, as I mentioned above, capability
and angularity/ability to act
are two different things.....
tsmall uses BOTH whole signs AND Placidus

I use BOTH whole signs AND Alcabitius
some use whole sign AND Regiomontanus
there are multiple QUADRANT house systems
its a matter of personal choice which to use in tandem with WHOLE SIGN