Retrograde natal placements and retrograde transits

VirgoLeo

I am but a novice astrologer and I was wondering what the thoughts of others are regarding this topic. For example if we would ignore the house, sign and all the aspects made to mercury in this instance. And just look at whether it's direct or retrograde.
let's say mercury is retrograde in the natal chart. Would any individual experience mercury retrograde differently as opposed to having it direct? This could apply to all the placements that wobble between retrograde and direct ofcourse. My reasoning behind this is that; minus + minus = plus. Within this specific context minus doesn't imply anything wrongful or negative ofcourse.

Thanks in advance

VL

Frisiangal

I am but a novice astrologer and I was wondering what the thoughts of others are regarding this topic. For example if we would ignore the house, sign and all the aspects made to mercury in this instance. And just look at whether it's direct or retrograde.
let's say mercury is retrograde in the natal chart. Would any individual experience mercury retrograde differently as opposed to having it direct? This could apply to all the placements that wobble between retrograde and direct ofcourse. My reasoning behind this is that; minus + minus = plus. Within this specific context minus doesn't imply anything wrongful or negative ofcourse.

Thanks in advance

VL

How would any individual know the difference between having a natal planet direct or retrograde in their chart if they are not in a position to personally experience the effect of both?

I've read many times in astrologers' reasoning of natal planets that they see no difference between, and how, direct, stationary, and retrograde planets work. I wonder how they come to this conclusion. A planet represents a function within an individual, and there must surely be a difference between 'being direct', 'being still', and 'being cautious' (for want of a better term) in one's expression of that function.

In your example, Mercury is the planet of how one thinks and its expression through personal contact and communication . Some will be able to verbally express themselves well, others may be more laid back and incline to listen rather than speak, whilst yet others 'have ongoing conversations in their head' but don't utter a word to say what they think.

What can be noticed is that when transit Mercury is retrograde, those with a direct natal Mercury seem to be more mentally aware of communication difficulties experienced when it activates something in their charts, than those with a retrograde natal Mercury.

As you say, there is no right or wrong context.
It's a personal belief that all planetary functions are meant well in their intent, and are as they are for a reason.

I live with a natal Retrograde Mercury turned direct in life. :smile: