4th House and Your Home/Room Interior

SolarSiren

There was a show on Home and Garden I think, Design By The Signs.
The astrologers helped couples compromise by combining their 4th house sign's.

Do you see your 4th house cusp, and ruler of 4th's, characteristics revealed in how you decorate? Did a long transit/progression change it?

My sister has Aquarius, with Saturn in Leo,
Her old room...She painted it a freaky McDonald's yellow w/ red sponging technique combo, refused to change it.....
UNTIL progressed it moved to Pisces...The new house became all Zen-ish, chinese coins, jade elephants & light greens.
(Jupiter became the ruler, he's natally in Taurus)

Mine is Aries/Mars in Cap.
Easy, my 3 colors are red, black, gold, and tan.
Black curly designed rod iron.
Past 2 years since it moved to Taurus...I'm sick of it.
I'd do a total exotic, fun, gypsy theme if cash weren't an issue.
(Natal Venus in Sag!)

Interesting topic!! :D

So, my natal 4th house ruled by scorpio.......cool!! But according to progressed chart, tis now in Sagittarius......

Hmm, interesting. must think some more on this!!;)

Lissa

My4th house starts in late Aries,and I have a tight Venus-IC conjunction.My room is a jungle,and it has always been.My progressed IC is now in Taurus and I still have the same IC-Venus conjunction,although it now falls in the sign of Taurus(Venus' dignity)and not Aries(it's detriment),but I have to say my room still looks like the3rd World War scenario..:rolleyes:My natal Mars is in Gemini and my room was always filled with books,ever since I was a child,my friends even say my room looks like a library:p.I have books on the floor,on the shells,on top of the bed,under the bed,in the bed(yes,it's true:D),on top of the printer,in my desk...hundreds of books,everywhere I look around:D,not to mention the CD's,the fury animals,the clothes on top of the bed,and the mugs I used to drink tea(I'm too lazzy to put them in the kitchen again,I will do it someday:p).I don't know when my IC moved to Taurus but I noticed I started paying more atention to the aesthetic part of my room a few years ago:started hanging my drawings on the walls,as well as my favourite poems and inspirational quotes.One of the other things about my room is that it is full with coloured boxes where I hide my money,small gifts I get from friends,etc.It's a typicall teenager room I guess:D.

Arian Maverick

Ah, so this must be why my bedroom has never looked particularly Arian--Aries is not the sign on my fourth house cusp!

My bedroom is very much decorated like your sister's with a zen theme, although there are no Chinese coins or jade elephants. I recently painted my walls a light beige color and removed a large rectangular frame and four smaller frames containing black-and-white photographs of Paris (I have never been there mais j'adore le culture); I also removed the string curtains I had on the windows near my bed and replaced them with delicate white ones. They don't really match the bedspread, but I've always been a bit eclectic! :D

As to what sign is on my Nadir, I am about as certain of this as I am of my Ascendant sign; it's either late Gemini or early Cancer. :rolleyes:

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

FlyAway

What a fun topic :D
My natal 4th house cusp is in Pisces.
But my room looks like a Cancerian/Mercurian mix, no wonder since I'm a Cancer Sun.
With a lot of books and old, sort of rustic, nostalgic furniture.
And this is what it looks like for years.
I just don't have the money yet for new furniture.
Since my 4th house cusp is now in Aries, I wonder what my new interior will look like as soon as I move to my new home ;)

Neptune Rising

Hmmm... my natal 4th cusp is Aries, I'm wondering what an Arian room would look like... I remember when I was younger I wasn't particulary tidy. Ahem!

But progressed 4th cusp is Taurus. Everything around me excudes calm. Oh, and I always have to have plants around, and loads of semi precious stones. Perhaps that's just my Capricorn Sun.

Neptune

Jim Wiseman

The 4th House and How We Appear

I think the 4th house has a lot to do with a person's physical body. I also believe that planets aspecting the IC are equally important (if not moreso) in determining one's physical apperance. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Re: The 4th House and How We Appear

I think the 4th house has a lot to do with a person's physical body. I also believe that planets aspecting the IC are equally important (if not moreso) in determining one's physical apperance. Does anyone else have an opinion?

This is most definately the Ascendant. It signifies our outward appearance and how our first impressions on others.

Anyway, my Nadir is - natally - in Gemini, however when I was three years old it progressed into Cancer, here's a snapshot of a corner of my room:

DCFC0026.jpg

Mi dormitorio! My LotR blanket that I use as a gigantic poster! My Eowyn calendar poster (I have an Arwen and Galadriel one further along that wall)! My itty dream catcher (I have a larger and more elegant one on the other side of the blanket)! My green painted walls with gold and silver sponge paint (my idea by the way ^.^). Not so Cancerian...though, the LotR stuff was not a part of the original theme, that stuff just kind of got thrown in there some weeks and months afterwards. Worked out well though, I think.

eonechoes

Wow. My 4th house just progressed this year and my style has changed. It was in Leo and I liked a lot of reds and bold stuff. Now it's in Virgo and I am in love with victorian styles, but also very much blue, but that could be my Venus in Pisces. I loooove light turquoise. But yeah my style has refined very much. Interesting.

My sister's is in Libra and she LOVES to decorate. She's in school for interior design, actually, lol. She cannot stand when things don't look nice, tidy, comfortable, etc. She's acing her interior design classes too because of her attention to presentation. I wasn't surprised to see Libra on the cusp when I just looked at her chart.

StarNur

4th house cusp is Cancer.

Jupiter in Leo in the 4th, conjunct IC. = Big family. Sagittarian father.

I dont like my bedroom...I don't really live in my room. I live in my head and when Im not I prefer to get out of the house and socialize...Thus I don't do much with it. Definitely the books and the internet in my room distract me from decorating it.

Neptune Rising

Re: The 4th House and How We Appear

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
My itty dream catcher (I have a larger and more elegant one on the other side of the blanket)! My green painted walls with gold and silver sponge paint (my idea by the way ^.^)

Hmmm, this sounds quite Cancerian to me, sounds quite tranquil, somewhere to relaaaaxxx! A Cancerian I know likes Monet with his subtle tones - I have no idea where his 4th house is though.

Neptune

IN YOUR ELEMENT?

Astrology can be a useful tool to help you feel more at home in your home and improve your well-being.
Do you have a favourite room in your house?
Is there a room you feel uneasy in?
Would you like your home to reflect more of your personality?
Do you find it difficult to sleep?
Do you always row with your partner in one particular room?
Do you wake up feeling drained when you sleep in the same bed as your partner?
Have you tried Feng Shui and it hasn’t really worked?
Astrology may well have the answer.

Astrological elements

The astrological signs are divided up into four ‘elements’. The elements affect your health, your relationships and your approach to life. People who belong to the same element will tend to experience life in the same way – although that tendency is affected by your own unique birthchart.

The Earth Signs

Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn, are practical and pragmatic. This element is
concerned with the material world, the body and the five senses. Earth signs
like physical comfort and order. Home is important and may be a status
symbol. An hospitable element, earth likes control the environment.
Disharmony in the home may be reflected in physical ailments.

The water signs

Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces are emotional and intuitive. Concerned with
feelings and subtle energies, water signs like the atmosphere to be ‘right’.
Emotional comfort and feelings are important. Water signs make intuitive
rather than rational choices. Home is a place of retreat, somewhere to
2 recharge and be a loved one. A home that does not feel right will result in emotional dis-ease.

The Air Signs

Gemini, Libra and Aquarius are rational and head-orientated. Thought
prevails, ideas flow freely. Needing an ambience conducive to
communication, air homes are sociable places where people come and go
freely. The wrong home environment leads to mental stress and an inability
to relax.

The Fire Signs

Aries, Leo and Sagittarius, are impetuous and energetic. Concerned with
creativity and the spirit; impractical and somewhat disorganised, the fire
element is busy doing. Fire signs take little notice of physical surroundings, and happily put up with temporary discomfort. They want their surroundings to be stimulating and exciting. They can make themselves at home anywhere. The fire element is particularly prone to burn-out.

Elemental colour:

Earth element: neutral beiges and earthy browns and greens, but Capricorn likes steely colours too.

Water element: cool and calm. Blues and silvery greens predominate. Scorpio inclines towards rich deep reds.

Air element: light and airy. Yellows and blue-greys. Aquarius looks to electric blues and colours that shock, whilst laid-back Libra prefers a gentler colourcoordinated look.

Fire element: strong, bright, stimulating colours; hot and lively. Yellows and reds, or strong blues. This is an element that likes to make an impact!

The effect of colour is particularly noticeable where when different elements
live together, as when a fire is partnered by a more restrained sign, for example. A peaceful air boudoir is likely to be decked out in soft mauves and pinks, or pale seagreen. A real passion killer for fire, but a relaxing place to sleep for both air and fire elements However, if the whole house was decked out in cool colour, fire would soon be suffering from depression. So a compromise would have to be reached that created areas for each element and mutual space.

If a cool water sign had to live in a hot fire environment, steam would soon rise. Water simply could not tolerate living in vivid colours for long. Tempers would fray, and the water sign would end up dried out and dessicated. All the passion would go out of the relationship. A cool space for withdrawing has to be created – ideally the bathroom as this is a water room. Similarly, a fire sign in a watery environment would lose all creativity and verve. Too much water puts out fire, as does an overdose of earth. Separate rooms may be called for here. Air on the other hand fans fire, this combination would have to create an oasis of calm in which to sleep as otherwise they could burn out.

Marking your territory

Each element has a different approach to personal space. Materialistic Earth is territorial, bricks and mortar matter. Many a Taurean, for instance, stays in an unhappy relationship "because of the house". An earth sign is quite happy to share personal space, just as long as the ‘mine’ and ‘yours’ boundaries are clearly marked out. This element enjoys entertaining – provided invitations have been issued.

Water signs go to two extremes. Both Cancer and Scorpio can be intensely
private, jealously protective of personal space, and needing somewhere to withdraw to process the day. After that, they can happily share mutual space and for Cancer, having the family around is vital.. Pisces on the other hand has problems establishing boundaries and often unwittingly invades other people’s space. This particular water sign sees little need for other people to have their private space – Pisces are so intuitive it is impossible to hide anything from them anyway!
Air signs have their personal space inside their head. This element needs to
communicate, so an audience is welcomed whether it be a partner, a flatmate or the milkman. Air rarely marks out territorial boundaries of any kind. As most people born under an air sign hate to be alone, their home can have a transient feel, as though it is a merely somewhere to lay a weary head. Air homes are gathering places, meant for a crowd. People are welcome to drop in.

Fire signs are independent. Personal space is valued, but the space can be a
sleeping bag under the stars, or a favourite chair. Most fire signs have the ability to withdraw into their own inner world if they need to be alone. Self-orientated Aries may well mark out territory. This sign expects other people to adapt, and is prepared to argue the point. But Leo sits back to rule the roost like a benevolent (or not so benevolent) dictator. There is little room for negotiation in a Leo home. Sagittarius is often too busy travelling to establish much of a home base. This is a sign that values wide open spaces. Partners may well feel neglected when this fiery sign is on the move.

When it comes to windows, you need to take your element into account. Big picture windows with wide open vistas make fire and air signs happy, but they may well freak out a water sign who has a need to feel protected. Muslin drapes may be required here. On the other hand, small fussily dressed windows would send a fire sign mad.
So, the element to which your sun-sign belongs says a great deal about you. Your home will reflect these innate qualities. If you are in tune with your element, you will have created an atmosphere and chosen colours which display its characteristics. If you do not live in a space which is compatible with your element, it can create problems for you. You will feel uneasy and irritated. Your health will suffer.

What happens when my partner belongs to a different element?
If your partner has the sun in a completely different element, either you have to incorporate both elements into your home, or one of you will feel increasingly uncomfortable. But, a compromise may create tension unless is satisfies both parties.

Practical solutions
If you have trouble sleeping, check the colour and layout of your bedroom. You may need to adjust it to be more in tune with your element – or to tone it down. You may find that the colours you instinctively chose are fine for one part of your home but inappropriate for another. Fire signs, for instance, are particularly fond of colours that stimulate. So, a fire sign may paint the whole house a bright, strong yellow or red. Whilst this may be fine for living areas, it is may cause insomnia in the bedroom.

Cooling the colour down would make sleep easier.
If you and your partner always row in a particular room, look at the colour and check it against both your elements. Is it a room that literally rubs one of you up the wrong way? A change of colour or rearranging the space could well save your
relationship! Such changes do not need to be drastic, a new throw and a few
cushions in the right colour could make all the difference. Adjustments can be minor – or major. Few earth signs, for instance, are happy without a connection to nature. Even if earth colours have been used, something
more may be required. Plants and crystals can make all the difference. But, earth also needs comfort. If an earth sign is trying to sleep in a cramped, small bed; or sit on a hard chair, then new furniture will be called for.
If you realise that there is a need for more personal space, you can arrange your rooms accordingly. Even a small space can be colour coordinated to create the feeling of security and relaxation for earth and water signs. A corner of the room or a cupboard which is ‘mine’ may resolve the problem.
You may find that more space is required. A small, cluttered room can feel
claustrophobic to an element that yearns for space and freedom. So, if being at home makes you feel a need to push the walls out, declutter and paint with an appropriate colour. Create an ‘open vista’ through clever use of mirrors, pictures or window dressing.

You don’t fit your element?

It may be due to the unique moment of your birth. Astrologically speaking, there are far more planets than the sun alone (in astrology both the sun and the moon are
called planets). Most people have a fairly even distribution of planets in the different elements. But some people have an imbalance. Your sun may be the only planet placed in that element. Other elements could be much stronger. Someone who has this imbalance may unconsciously look to a partner to ‘fill in the blanks’. For a time this could work. But the home environment would have to be planned carefully – after consulting an astrologer. A strongly water influence could debilitate fire, for instance. On the other hand, the fire could suck all the energy out of the water. If two feeling drained. Separate beds may be needed.

[Moderator note : I have checked this post for possible infringement of copyright rules and consider it to be ok....EJ53]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Scorpio on my I.C with Neptune in the 4th square to my Moon/Mercury in Pisces. Moon in Pisces also trines my Uranus in 3rd, Uranus is conjunct my I.C.

I am a very private person in my home with my family. I withdraw to my home to escape. This must be my Scorpio/I.C and Moon in Pisces. I do Astrology in the home and I am on the computer a lot. This must be my Uranus on the I.C fromthe 3rd house. I have a moveable water picture above my desk in the living room, this must be Neptune in 4th and Moon in Pisces. My Living room is a pale yellow with gold border. Maybe this is the Air influence perhaps my Uranus/Moon Uranus aspect. I have Moon in 7th. I have had a completely blue living room and it was depressiing to look at, once it was lightened up I felt a lot happier. My bedroom is gold and brown maybe this is the Earth side of me I have Venus in Capricorn maybe this influences my colour of the bedroom. I am not sure which rooms correspond to which houses in Astrology, I have read the 12th house for the bathroom, but unsure about the other rooms in the house.

AriesJupiter

4th house cusp is Cancer.

Jupiter in Leo in the 4th, conjunct IC. = Big family. Sagittarian father.

I dont like my bedroom...I don't really live in my room. I live in my head and when Im not I prefer to get out of the house and socialize...Thus I don't do much with it. Definitely the books and the internet in my room distract me from decorating it.

That's very interesting, because I have Cancer on the cusp of my 4th as well, and I am the same exact way! Although I have a great eye for design and decorating, I don't bother with my room, or really my house for that matter (I'm in my early 20's though). I live in my head, get distracted with internet & books, and prefer to go out and socialize when I'm not doing these things! How funny! Although, unlike StarNur, I don't have any planets in the 4th... other than Lilith right smack dab (about 10 minutes off) on my IC! I wonder if Lilith affects my design style of the home?

AriesJupiter

That's very interesting, because I have Cancer on the cusp of my 4th as well, and I am the same exact way! Although I have a great eye for design and decorating, I don't bother with my room, or really my house for that matter (I'm in my early 20's though). I live in my head, get distracted with internet & books, and prefer to go out and socialize when I'm not doing these things! How funny! Although, unlike StarNur, I don't have any planets in the 4th... other than Lilith right smack dab (about 10 minutes off) on my IC! I wonder if Lilith affects my design style of the home?

Actually, I just re-read this and realized I forgot to mention I have a Sagittarius Moon! That is probably why I like to get out and socialize... very similar to your Jupiter in the 4th! Also, probably why we like to read books and go on the internet rather than care about our surroundings... it all seems very Sagittarius/Jupiter themed! Exploring, the mind, etc...

M

may28gemini

no planets in 4th but IC is in Capricorn- my spaces have often been undecorated but have a lot of useful things lying around. i'm usually organized... but not exactly. however, my MC is cancer and at work, i actually decorate my desk and have pictures of my cat and lots of snacks (even though i'm not a snacky person).

Judy_AzVirgo

Cute topic!

Aquarius on 4th cusp, Jupiter in Pisces within. Need S-P-A-C-E. Even when we downsized to a smaller house, it had to have a "great room". Can't stand crowded spaces; even a bit claustrophobic.

Have displays of art (or even tschotskes) on shelf units. LOTS of shelf units for 1,500 or so books, plus eclectic art, and stuff. Tile floors -- easy to pick up. Minimal clutter. But... I do have ONE room that's my "office" for computer, astrology stuff, hobbies, important papers, and so on, and it is an absolute mess, total chaos... but it still has plenty of empty space with desks, etc flush against the walls.

PS: It's harder to decorate to one's own taste when there's a spouse around. So, not a lot of color, fairly neutral and "relaxing" for hubby.

Cascada

I have Scorpio on the 4th house cusp, progressed into Sagittarius. Natally I have a stellium in this house (Mars, Mercury, Pluto). If I got my own way, I'd paint it yellow, my favourite colour (this must be my asc- Leo- tryna get a say on the design..), but instead our bathroom is yellow :joyful: I'd love to design it so its really peaceful, maybe I'd have a theme based around the chakras. Lots of scented candles, religious/spiritual items everywhere. Overall a cosy, warm feel. The main colour theme would be a warm, dark brown with raspberry pink designs. Maybe an expensive-looking pink-on-brown wallpaper on the wall my bed is up against. Possibly a room that has a slight Indian feel to it. Lots of intricate, colourful cushions. It would be tidy. It would give a sense of balance (my sun and moon sign talking- Libra). I'd love a colourful room, without the colours clashing. I'm very fussy and specific :innocent:

Right now my bedroom is very neutral, very minimalist. White vintage furnishings, white bed with a white and teal bed cover. I have canva's up but they need to go as they don't fit my colour scheme anymore. In a couple of days it will be a light blue room with white and teal designs :smile: