Why we're so polarized (No memes)

waybread

Oddity, at the risk of sounding like Spock, it simply isn't rational for a US taxpayer like myself to favor government regulation for its own sake. All those federal bureaucrats' salaries are on the taxpayers' dime. I don't want my own speech to be censored, obviously.

We've gone over this a million times before, but just to refresh our memories, please list some of the kinds of speech and forms of expression that are not protected under the law.

In the interests of removing censorship, apparently you're fine with social media incitement to riot, encouragement for adolescent girls to become bulimic, and information on how to bomb people to tiny itsy bits. You're fine with speech that recruits terrorists. I believe you draw the line at child p*rnography and the trafficking of sex slaves, but in media with no limits, such communications do flourish.

I dunno, Oddity. Convince me that you're not willfully naïve, with your vision of a censor-free media Wild West.

It's obvious that the 'whistleblower' was there to call for more government regulation of social media - as if the government and social media companies aren't already in bed together.

Waybread likes government regulation, too. Just think, when it happens (possibly by new SM regs, possibly because they'll take away internet from us dissidents) then good people will never hear a word against fascism.

Won't that be glorious!

waybread

Thanks for sharing this. They know how to trigger our subconscious reward systems.

I just read today that teenage girls who are on Instagram spend something like 3 -4 hours a day on it. That's more time than they would spend with their parents, even with both living at home. That can't be healthy.
https://review42.com/resources/how-much-time-do-people-spend-on-social-media/

Oh, (big) companies even go as far as to do research using MRIs to predict consumer habits. They'll take MRIs of people's brains to see how they react to certain stimuli - like colour, specific words, specific consonants and vowels, smells, sounds, etc. Then, they use this data in their marketing strategies.
They research how our values and beliefs affect our consuming habits, how our emotions and feelings affect our consuming habits. Demographics, culture, etc etc.

I feel like I was one of the only people in business school who felt very disillusioned after graduating. Quite literally, most big brands, companies etc., see people as sheep. I remember in one of my classes, business ethics, a professor quoting something along the lines of how consumers don't know what they want and how there's comfort in being told what they want (as opposed to making their own decisions). Of course, my prof was using this as an example of an unethical approach to business and didn't actually agree with it.

COVID happened about 6 months after I graduated, and lowkey, I felt satisfied to see karma catching up to big brands, universities, oil companies :devil:. The amount of revenue they lost, revenue earned at the expense of millions of people, was justice. Not that I'm saying COVID was/is a 'good' thing of course - 'good' and 'bad' has come of it.
(Yes I know big banks and Amazon and Uber and others profited off of COVID :(.)

I feel like the best thing anyone can do for themselves is to limit how much they use social media as well as how much they watch the news. Also, to try not to get emotionally involved in politics etc. It's like pouring your emotions into a black hole.

waybread

Dirius, you've got a false argument going. There are multiple ways for corporations to make profits. It's not like the only conceivable way they could make profits would be via their scramble to the bottom.

With your argument, economists would all be supporting slave labor.

Social media companies have multiple ways to make profits.

Some companies establish a reputation for ethical conduct, and use their image as a marketing tool.

Corporations loosing revenue isn't something to be happy for.

Thank you for expressing your opinion. :)

When businesses loose revenue, the ones who suffer are the employees that get laid off, the small investors who loose their life savings and the consumer who gets less available products at a higher price. Not to mention the small ventures, small business owners, start-ups which get ruined.

This is all true, and why I mentioned, 'not that I'm saying COVID was/is a 'good' thing of course - 'good' and 'bad' has come of it.'

The CEO, board of directors, and big stock holders still profit by selling assets or stock to investment funds to short the market, or just purchase stock selloff at lower prices and hold it waiting for the dead cat bounce effect.

Well. The dead cat doesn't bounce back to the height it fell from. The CEO, board of directors and big stock holders still take a hit, no matter how diversified their portfolios.

'The bigger they are, the harder they fall.'

Those at the bottom of the pyramid feel the impact of the fall, but not as hard as those at the top.

This is my perspective. :aquarius:

Anyway, I don't want to get off topic from the original post (effects of social media on society, ads, etc.) by debating whose opinion and/or perspective is superior.

waybread

Waybread algorithms just show you related searches for your usual content. If you listen to right-wing channels on youtube, they just show you similar channels. They even sometimes show you political channels of other nature. I get a lot of leftist content in my feed.

What the whistleblower said, is actually untrue in practice, and anyone can verify that on youtube.

Dirius, she was specifically talking about Facebook and its subsidiary Instagram, not YouTube.

YouTube has social media features but that isn't how I'd primarily define it: as a video-sharing service.

My most common use of YouTube is music recordings. The more I focus on a particular topic, the more of those it lines up on the right side of my screen for my consideration. But not exclusively so. A certain percentage are of something else.

But obviously if you click on anything of a "leftist" nature (whatever you mean by that) at all, they're going to show you more "leftist" click-bait.

uranianplutonian

Account Closed
Quite the contrary, the effects of the economic crash have a harsher impact on the lower tier of society. Rising prices and inflation hit poor people much harder than they do to someone who is rich.

The corporation is a separate entity from its owners, and even though the corporations made no profit for some time, the CEO and upper tier still got their paycheck. To them the effects of the economic crisis were minuscule. The people who lost the most were the small time investors, who saw no dividend payment for over a year, or saw their investments devalued and were forced to sell their stock for 1/3 of the buying price (which was bought by hedgefunds).

Also, small to medium businesses went bankrupt, causing unemployment, and honest business-owners were ruined, and saw years of hard-work go to waste. Corporations are social benefactors, which provide a livelyhood for millions of people.

I'm truly horrified someone who graduated from business would have such a narrow-minded view of the economy, to dare claim to feel joy this occured in the first place.

Thank you for your input.

We are different people, from different backgrounds, with different beliefs and values, and therefore we have different perspectives.

Feeling horrified by my perspective and feelings sounds exhausting. I can only imagine how you must feel navigating the world we live in today.

Out of respect for the person who made the original post, I am not going to engage in this topic any further... Plus, I wouldn't want to unintentionally raise your blood pressure more than I already seemingly have! :alien:

Dirius

Dirius, you've got a false argument going. There are multiple ways for corporations to make profits. It's not like the only conceivable way they could make profits would be via their scramble to the bottom.

With your argument, economists would all be supporting slave labor.

Social media companies have multiple ways to make profits.

Some companies establish a reputation for ethical conduct, and use their image as a marketing tool.

The quote I took from her didn't refer to social media companies, but corporations in general. You are using a strawman as usual.

Corporations make profit in two ways: by selling products or services in exchange for money or advertising revenues, and by investments in either other companies, bonds, loans, etc., both of which were affected by the crisis.

No, economists wouldn't support slave labour - another typical leftist fallacy. If we took your idea to the extreme, and 90% of workers were slaves, there wouldn't be anyone to purchase products.

You ask why the world is polarised? you keep either lying and miss-representing what most of us have to say in these posts.

Last edited:

Dirius

Thank you for your input.

We are different people, from different backgrounds, with different beliefs and values, and therefore we have different perspectives.

Feeling horrified by my perspective and feelings sounds exhausting. I can only imagine how you must feel navigating the world we live in today.

Out of respect for the person who made the original post, I am not going to engage in this topic any further... Plus, I wouldn't want to unintentionally raise your blood pressure more than I already seemingly have! :alien:

I might have been rude in that post, and for that I apologise.

waybread

Dirius, you're being silly again. That you try to do so as Mr. Economics Major accusing me of lying when I tell you the truth only exacerbates your problem.

Slave labor-- or truly oppressive working conditions certainly exist in parts of the world that currently manufacture cheap goods for wealthier countries' consumption. Look up working conditions in Bangla Desh factories involved in the garment industry, for one example. Or girls working in the Malaysian electronics industry for another.

Obviously it makes no sense to imagine everyone as a slave unable to purchase anything. Reductio ad absurdum. This isn't how the global economic system operates. Poor people produce goods for rich people. Got it?

The quote I took from her didn't refer to social media companies, but corporations in general. You are using a strawman as usual.

Corporations make profit in two ways: by selling products or services in exchange for money or advertising revenues, and by investments in either other companies, bonds, loans, etc., both of which were affected by the crisis.

No, economists wouldn't support slave labour - another typical leftist fallacy. If we took your idea to the extreme, and 90% of workers were slaves, there wouldn't be anyone to purchase products.

You ask why the world is polarised? you keep either lying and miss-representing what most of us have to say in these posts.

Dirius

Dirius, you're being silly again. That you try to do so as Mr. Economics Major accusing me of lying when I tell you the truth only exacerbates your problem.

Slave labor-- or truly oppressive working conditions certainly exist in parts of the world that currently manufacture cheap goods for wealthier countries' consumption. Look up working conditions in Bangla Desh factories involved in the garment industry, for one example. Or girls working in the Malaysian electronics industry for another.

Obviously it makes no sense to imagine everyone as a slave unable to purchase anything. Reductio ad absurdum. This isn't how the global economic system operates. Poor people produce goods for rich people. Got it?

And that is a process most nations in the world went through at some point in history, even the U.S., and economic growth leads to increase in wages. The truth is that wages have been going up in Bangladesh, and people are slowly becoming wealthier.

However, the people of those nations choose to work for that rate - they don't have to if they don't want to, and can go live off the land as they did 70 years ago.

Slavery makes no sense from an economic point of view, and its just a fallacy from the ignorant left to suggest that, given it goes against every economic school of thought.

GDP per capita in bangladesh:
https://tradingeconomics.com/bangladesh/gdp-per-capita

bangladesh-gdp-per-capita.png

Last edited:

waybread

Dirius, you seem to have no awareness of the actual structural, social, and economic changes going on in the poorest developing countries seeking industrialization as a means of economic growth.

But notice how you will go off on any tangent imaginable to avoid the thread topic.

Please get back on track with the thread topic.

Dirius

Dirius, you seem to have no awareness of the actual structural, social, and economic changes going on in the poorest developing countries seeking industrialization as a means of economic growth.

But notice how you will go off on any tangent imaginable to avoid the thread topic.

excuse me, what? I just showed you the actual statistical evidence that disproves your point - it shows that people in bangladesh are getting wealthier. I can also give you stats on wage growth and economic growth if you want. Numbers don't lie, but leftists are terrified of numbers, because it exposes their lies and ignorance of the economy.

You engaged on this topic, you promoted the discussion on economics, don't try to shut down the conversation just because I countered your incorrect argument. :lol::lol::lol:

blackbery

Never present facts or truth to WB or any other Liberal. They simply refuse to face reality. They either attack the person because they cannot counter-act their points or they divert the topic completely.

This is exactly why there is no point in trying to debate with such people.
They refuse to admit they are ever wrong or to even do one minute of research outside of the fake news.

They have their political agenda, they've created a fantasy world where they are the moral, superior beings & everyone who doesn't agree with them is a deplorable, a racist, a nazi, transphobic, etc etc etc. That's why they believe using violence, both in thought & deed is acceptable to attack their opponents.
They actually applauded when Ashli Babbit was killed in cold blood; that's the type of people we are dealing with. Yet, when a drugged up violent criminal is killed, they build gold idol statues in their name.

Their colour revolution ain't going as they planned because too many people have woken up & realize that their country has been taken over by the CCP.

Leave the Liberals to their Marxist doctrine; the rest of us are taking our country back....and the world is taking their countries back too.

Not complying with medical tyranny is the 1st step to Freedom.

:wink::wink::wink:

excuse me, what? I just showed you the actual statistical evidence that disproves your point - it shows that people in bangladesh are getting wealthier. I can also give you stats on wage growth and economic growth if you want. Numbers don't lie, but leftists are terrified of numbers, because it exposes their lies and ignorance of the economy.

You engaged on this topic, you promoted the discussion on economics, don't try to shut down the conversation just because I countered your incorrect argument. :lol::lol::lol:

blackbery

You wouldn't be trying to bully me or others who don't obey your orders would you WB?:unsure::unsure::unsure:

You wouldn't be trying to attack people because they don't follow your rules would you WB?:pouty::pouty::pouty:

It's hard to take you or the topic seriously when you use the 'whistle-blower' Haugen as your center-piece who is nothing more than a paid asset for the DNC/Fake News who want to censor & ban ANYONE who doesn't agree with their political & cultural agenda.

So blackbery, what are your primary information sources? Re: this thread topic, what do you think of the role of social media algorithms in the extreme polarization of American politics?

Please re-read the OP. Otherwise your posts merely serve as cases-in-point.

blackbery

Just another rude & nasty comment by you WB; maybe look into why you feel the need to puff yourself up as the expert on everything & demean every person who doesn't agree with you.

I've been reading posts by Dirius for a long time and he has an excellent grasp of economics.

Not everything is a contest WB, not everything is a battle. Try to chill.:whistling:

Oddity

Ah, yes. We don't like government censorship, but we must have it...for the children!

I'm sure you can spot the holes in your argument, you don't need me to do it.

Oddity, at the risk of sounding like Spock, it simply isn't rational for a US taxpayer like myself to favor government regulation for its own sake. All those federal bureaucrats' salaries are on the taxpayers' dime. I don't want my own speech to be censored, obviously.

We've gone over this a million times before, but just to refresh our memories, please list some of the kinds of speech and forms of expression that are not protected under the law.

In the interests of removing censorship, apparently you're fine with social media incitement to riot, encouragement for adolescent girls to become bulimic, and information on how to bomb people to tiny itsy bits. You're fine with speech that recruits terrorists. I believe you draw the line at child p*rnography and the trafficking of sex slaves, but in media with no limits, such communications do flourish.

I dunno, Oddity. Convince me that you're not willfully naïve, with your vision of a censor-free media Wild West.

blackbery

They also want to jab the children.......for their own safety of course!:lol:

For a virus with a 99.9% recovery rate. Covid deaths under 19 account for less than 0.5%.

This posting would be banned on FB, Instagram, YT. The 'fact checkers' would claim that it's medical disinformation.

The only ones putting out the lies, propaganda & misinformation are these social platforms.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

david starling

They also want to jab the children.......for their own safety of course!:lol:

For a virus with a 99.9% recovery rate. Covid deaths under 19 account for less than 0.5%.

This posting would be banned on FB, Instagram, YT. The 'fact checkers' would claim that it's medical disinformation.

The only ones putting out the lies, propaganda & misinformation are these social platforms.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good! This is exactly what I've been saying: The censorship is about only 2 things, as far as I've seen, the 2020 Election, and anti-vaxxing.

Unless there's another issue where postings are being censored?

Oddity

Actually, I'd be okay with government censorship - with a proviso. Social media platforms lose their status as common carriers, and are therefore ineligible for the protections that Section 230 provides.

As common carriers, they are not allowed to ban or censor (though they do it anyway, that should be enough ammo to revoke their status), but they are immune to lawsuits for things said on their platforms - just like the telephone company is immune to lawsuits for what people say in telephone conversations.

So yes - revoke that status and let the lawsuits fly. If people really support them as platforms, they'll continue to exist. If not, they won't. And we might see some actual common carriers out of the mess.

david starling

Actually, I'd be okay with government censorship - with a proviso. Social media platforms lose their status as common carriers, and are therefore ineligible for the protections that Section 230 provides.

As common carriers, they are not allowed to ban or censor (though they do it anyway, that should be enough ammo to revoke their status), but they are immune to lawsuits for things said on their platforms - just like the telephone company is immune to lawsuits for what people say in telephone conversations.

So yes - revoke that status and let the lawsuits fly. If people really support them as platforms, they'll continue to exist. If not, they won't. And we might see some actual common carriers out of the mess.

Odds, am I right about the 2 social media censorship subjects: 2020 Election result deniers + Covid-19 deniers and anti-vaxxers?

Any others you've noticed?