Do you relocate progressed charts?

Advaitha

I am bummed by this. I was born in India, but currently live in the US. When I progress my chart, I get 2 degrees Aries ASC, taking my natal birth place. However, some softwares (including Solar Fire) show it as 15 Virgo, when I relocate it to Seattle. Do you relocate your progressed charts? Or should we use the natal birth place and just progress the planets and angles?
Which is accurate?
Another question is which method to use? When I use Astro.com (and my favorite software What Watch) they show the Asc at 29 pi, which 'feels' correct to me. However, Solar Fire and other 'professional' softwares put it at Aries 2 degrees. When you change Solar fire to use 'Naibod in RA', it shows what other softwares show (Pisces 29). Any enlightened folks can shed some light on this?
Much appreciated!

EJ53

Banned
Hi Advaitha.......Welcome to the forum.

I have no practical experience of relocated charts but, in the absence of any replies from those who have, my understanding of the theory is :-

1. You first calculate your relocated chart, using the actual Universal Time of birth but the Lattitude/Longitude of the new location......This produces a chart with all planets (including moon) at exactly the same degree as in your original birthchart......but the degree location of the 12 house cusps will change.

2. You then progress this relocated birthchart in the same way as you progress any other birthchart.

3. The difficulty is in adjusting for time zones and daylight savings, but astro.com do this automatically (and correctly) if you use their relocation chart calculator.......which requires you to input the new location after calculating your original birthchart.

4. Whether or not you progress the relocated chart or the natal chart is a matter of personal choice......but, it seems to me that we should do so as (theoretically) the house positions of the original chart ought to be meaningless in the new location.

EJ

Last edited:

Advaitha

Thanks much EJ. Your response is much appreciated.
But what is the general practice when you read progressed charts? Do you relocate to the place the person currently lives at or read their progressed chart for their birth place?

EJ53

Banned
I would read the progressed chart for the relocated place......but (I think) the general view is to use the progressed chart of your birthplace....and we've not yet had enough time to test either theory, because relocation astrology is still relatively new.

Why not have a look at both, and then decide which fits best with your experiences at your current location?........In effect, we need people who have relocated to do this testing and then inform us of the "right" technique to use.

EJ

Advaitha

Thanks again EJ. Appreciate your response.
I have always believed that progressed charts are through natal chart's eyes. And Ascendant is such a vast topic, it is very hard for me to look for its traits.
Here is my situation, if I didnt relocate my progressed chart:
I'll have a 28 degree p.Asc in pisces, putting the descendant in late virgo. that is also my sun/moon midpoint. I have transiting neptune currently in my first house, about 10 degrees after natal ascendant. so its hard to experience a progressed pisces ascendant, because I dont know if the vibrations I am receiving are from the t. neptune or the p.Asc.
Using some programs, and the 'Sun in Long' method in Solar fire, puts this same Asc at 2 degree 58" Aries. A girl I recently met, who is giving me cold shoulder right now, I met when my p.Venus (at 1:49 in Pisces) trined my natal uranus (natal ASC ruler) exact. putting the p. Asc at 3 degrees, the p. Desc conjuncts her natal sun, which fits the bill, as I see her a partner (and hopefully future wife!).
So, I am going in circles with this. putting p.asc in pisces fits the bill with me being neptunian (Natal neptune conjunct mars, t.neptune in first house trining natal moon, p.asc in pisces). It also would conjunct my sun/moon midpoint.
I have also met her when her progressed moon is conjunct my progressed sun at 11:26 aqua. as it started to fade, the relationship has started to fade as well. However, there are other indicators about which I am hopeful for.
All that said, I would like to start by clearing up the p. Asc , so I could start looking at my chart, by knowing that I am looking at the 'right chart', if there is a such thing. :)
here is my info, if you would like to take a shot at it:
DOB: 12/28/1974
TOB: 9:29 AM
Lattitude: 17N23
Long: 78E28

couple notes in the natal and progressions:
Natal Asc: 16.56 Aquarius, midheaven at 26.46 Scorp
Progressed moon currently squaring natal mercury and conjunct natal pluto. The important theme about this is that I met a girl 6 years ago, when p. moon was exactly squaring my natal pluto, and now its conjunct. the story seems to be repeating, as i see the patterns getting repeating with the girl then and the one now. :(

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit and if you have any thoughts, I appreciate much.

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
...I would like to start by clearing up the p. Asc , so I could start looking at my chart, by knowing that I am looking at the 'right chart', if there is a such thing.

Natal Birthchart Data - India

DOB: 12/28/1974
TOB: 9:29 AM.......UT = 03.59 AM 28th December 1974
Lattitude: 17N23
Long: 78E28
Natal Asc : 16.57 degrees Aquarius
Progressed Asc : 28.43 Pisces (9.29 AM 28th Dec 2009...UT 03.59AM)

Relocated Birthchart Data - Seattle, Washington USA

DOB: 12/27/1974
TOB: 19:59 AM......UT = 03.59 AM 28th December 1974
Lattitude: 47N36
Long: 122W20
Natal Asc : 18.36 degrees Leo
Progressed Asc : 13.53 Virgo (19.59PM 12/27/09...UT 03.59AM 12/28/09)

Method Used (Astro.com)

Selected "Relocation Charts" at bottom of drop down menu
Entered data for natal chart (India).....drew chart
Selected "choose different reference place" at bottom of Chart Screen
Unchecked "use birthplace" box
Entered data for "other town" (Seattle).....drew relocated chart
Noted Local and Universal Times of Relocated Chart
Confirmed UT same for both charts
Drew a natal chart for Seattle, using Local Time that equates to correct UT
Progressed the natal chart for Seattle (Relocation Chart) in the normal way.

EJ:smile:

Last edited:

Bina

I was wondering about the same question and on searching the forum found this thread, but the original question was not answered, so once again,

do you relocate the progressed chart?

So far i've always used the birthplace for the progressed chart, but my program gives the option to relocate, so was wondering? What do you do?

Last edited:

dr. farr

In my study of the literture, all authorities indicate using the birthplace for the progressed chart.

There is much more difference of opinion regarding the Solar Return chart, most authorities suggesting the current location for the SR, a minority advising always using the birthplace regardless of current location (I myself follow the majority view regarding location of SR; I always use the birthplace for profections and for simple symbolic progressions, and for determining transit implications)

Bina

In my study of the literture, all authorities indicate using the birthplace for the progressed chart.

There is much more difference of opinion regarding the Solar Return chart, most authorities suggesting the current location for the SR, a minority advising always using the birthplace regardless of current location (I myself follow the majority view regarding location of SR; I always use the birthplace for profections and for simple symbolic progressions, and for determining transit implications)

Thanks for your answer- it confirmed what i felt, but got unsure because i discovered the option to relocate the progressed chart in my program. I also use the current location for the solar return, it seems appropriate, since that is the place where one actually is at the time of the solar return.

JUPITERASC

I agree with dr. farr regarding this question - i.e. no, you do not relocate natal charts for the progressed chart, you use the birthplace for the progressed chart :smile:

JUPITERASC

JUPITERASC,dr farr,do you relocate birth charts?
If the person has relocated I study both their natal as well as their relocated. Takes time.

There's been discussion on this topic in the past on this thread and opinions differ http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299682#post299682 :smile:
I'll try but, understand natal is not my forte.
Your natal chart is like your birthday suit. It will grow and evolve but you can't change it. No matter what you do, it is always there.

Your relocation chart is like your clothes, you can change these. They modify how you look, afford some protection and can even affect your attitudes to some degree or how you are perceived by others. But, they are not
you.

No matter where you go, there you are
...but the sunsets are never the same.

When you move to a different country, you don't change your natal chart. That's like suggesting you change your DNA.

sandstone

Banned
advaitha/bina,

i do 2 charts.. 1 for birth and the 2nd for the relocated position.. treat the 2nd as a natal and do progressions or directions off this.. the angles will be different, but the degree and minute of all planets will be exactly the same.. i have worked with directions to relocated charts and find them useful to use, but they need to be used along side the natal with predictive data off this chart as well.. it makes for more processing as you are now working with 2 charts instead of one.. experiment and see what you come up with..

ps - i haven't read this whole thread and the comments within it..

Claire19

I am bummed by this. I was born in India, but currently live in the US. When I progress my chart, I get 2 degrees Aries ASC, taking my natal birth place. However, some softwares (including Solar Fire) show it as 15 Virgo, when I relocate it to Seattle. Do you relocate your progressed charts? Or should we use the natal birth place and just progress the planets and angles?
Which is accurate?
Another question is which method to use? When I use Astro.com (and my favorite software What Watch) they show the Asc at 29 pi, which 'feels' correct to me. However, Solar Fire and other 'professional' softwares put it at Aries 2 degrees. When you change Solar fire to use 'Naibod in RA', it shows what other softwares show (Pisces 29). Any enlightened folks can shed some light on this?
Much appreciated!
Your natal chart always remains the same with the transits and progresssions on it. I dont relocate these at all. However Solar Return charts use relocation. Maybe you can get more info from that??

Ancy

Progressed charts are about mainly 'internal changes' -
I don't think so relocation is necessary for progressed charts. Nor have I come across any who uses it unless they just want to compare.

As far as transits are concerned - relocation can be taken into consideration. Also, the solar returns.

My two cents.