11th house...house of friendship??

astropsychologist

The meaning of the 11th house often eludes me, I know its groups and social involvement and reform but does it also govern friendships?

I've never really thought of the 11th as being to do with friends, it always seemed like the house was too impersonal, however I have the triple conjunction of Nep/Jup/Chiron in the 11th at the moment (opp moon/mars/jup/nnode in 5th) and my friendships have gone absolutely haywire, I've always had a large and diverse group of friends but feel like I'm slowly losing them all, feeling let down, used, betrayed, ignored, it's all very strange and out of the blue!

I've heard a few diff astrologers argue that the 5th could be the house of close friends and the 11th of acquaintances. Since my current transits involve both of these houses I can't segregate them to figure it out. Any one have an opinion on this?

For a proper evaluation you need to post your chart. I often times find that T Saturn conj, square, opp venus breaks friendships, relationships, also what it T Uranus doing?

The aspects your describe ie; T neptune, jupiter opp moon,mars etc, should be sociable expansive matters.

11th house is associates and friends, but to me friends of the heart, whom you love are 5th house and of course special 1 to 1's 7th house.

smilingsteph

Maybe your ideals of friends are changing with this conjunct happening in the 11th house...
Your moon may be more sensitive or moody towards these particular friends. Could be chiron's way of healing your thoughts towards your friends. Chiron bringing forth some old hurts from past friendships so you can deal with these feelings in your current relationships.

katydid

I think the 11th house contains groups of your friends, like if you had a large birthday party, your 11th house would come. If you had a few close friends over for birthday dinner, then it would be your 5th, your BFF's.

starlink

Astropsychologist,
This excerpt is from a link which we provide in our Education Board. If you want to know about other houses, please go and visit this board.
The eleventh house is where we find our identity within a group; it symbolizes one-to-many relationships as distinct from Seventh house one-to-one relationships. It rules friends, groups, our social circle, membership in societies and organizations, ideals and aspirations shared by the groups to which we belong, and in general, situations in which we have to change our behavior to get along with more than one other person at the same time. Planets in the eleventh house show the kind of friends we attract to us, or the kinds of energy we experience in relation to groups. Many planets in this house indicate that we live a large part of our lives in connection with our friends or groups, and often need group support to accept or value what we are doing.
As you can see, friends is an important part of the 11th house. When I look at hobbies, I take the 5th as doing a hobby on my own and when I take the opposite 11th, I have a hobby I do in a group (like a club) or with a group of friends.
Starlink.

astropsychologist

Hi astrologer50,

Here's my chart, I do have Sat square Venus at the moment and come to think of it, 7 years ago at the conjunction I lost a friend then too. Uranus has just finished a square with Venus...so yeah all of those are probably contributing.

I mean I know that if it's happening with a lot of my friends, then the problem is likely to lie with me, so I've been soul searching and racking my brains and don't feel like I've done anything to upset or annoy them. It seems to be happening on a mass scale amongst friends who don't know each other so I don't feel ganged up on, but just completely confused and hurt.

I agree that the triple conjunction should be expansive but it feels the opposite at the moment, I've been experiencing it in various ways recently, but only today did I think it might be a reflection of my friendships.

Attachments

• My Own Chart.jpg
    My Own Chart.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 52

Sunny

Hallo! Astropsychologist!
Well, when I look at your chart, without doing a real analysis, firstly I remark your ASC in Taurus. That's the sign which dont want too much changes in its life.
So, the 11th is certainly in connection with friends but not only. Often it has to do with the future or creation and birth. Perhaps friendship is not all what you want, but the opposition to your 5th could show that there is something to do with children or a child, separating and so on. Perhaps.
In the matter of Neptune who is located in your 8th, there it could be really the great distance and unexplicable run-away, or some friendship is dying or dissolving. You may be prepared now to another way and that your future goes in another direction as you lived it until now? Can that be? If it is so, then realize that a new developpment is beginning in yourself and which engage a very long way, even if it is only in a spiritual way. But you can see it better than me.
Be hopeful! :)
Sunny

EJ53

Banned
astropsychologist said:
...It seems to be happening on a mass scale amongst friends who don't know each other so I don't feel ganged up on, but just completely confused and hurt......

I wonder if your upcoming Saturn Return is a factor here.........particularly as friends aroung the same age will be experiencing theirs too.....and your natal Saturn does square a Neptune/Venus opposition, on the axis of values (self vs others).

EJ:unsure:

astropsychologist

Thanks for that article girlcat. It's very interesting, especiallly this paragraph explaining how difficult it is to pin down the meaning of the 11th house....

"There's a garage sale of concepts associated with this house. When I began this series, a colleague wrote to say she couldn't wait to read what I'd make of the 11th house. I replied, "Me too!" For if there’s a theme that strings its varied keywords together, it has mostly eluded me. We’re told that the 11th symbolizes the social codes that bind a society and the revolutionary zeal that breaks it apart. It rules both astrologers and the legislators who would outlaw them. It describes what we have in common and what makes us different. It's a future-oriented house, but its social web is often sticky with the past. We’re told the 11th is about warm and loving relationships and the ones about which we feel much less. Here we’re detached. And we subordinate ourselves to collective aims. Yet we’re also acknowledged. Astrologers like to say that the 5th is where we give love, and the 11th is where we receive it. Then there’s that most curious assignment, which says the 11th is the house of hopes and dreams. As if that weren’t enough, the 11th also rules airplanes, computers, varicose veins, electricity, galaxies, ballots, advisors, humanitarian causes, and unexpected gains.
Multiple keywords are a bothersome feature of many houses. But what troubles me most about the 11th is how little confirmation I’ve gotten from matching its keywords to my clients’ experiences. When this house is active, I cannot confidently state, as some astrology cookbooks do, that a person will be inspired to join a 12-step group or volunteer for the PTA. Or that when this house is challenged, it signals difficulty with friends. When a friendship becomes so problematic that an individual needs to discuss it with an astrologer, often enough the 7th house of partnerships or the 5th of playmates is involved. Perhaps the most surprising feature of this house is how differently it’s described by classical astrologers and contemporary ones."

Thanks Sunny, yes I think you're right, I feel like it's time I pruned my friendships, I have a lot who I don't trust fully and who I am friends with just because I;ve known them a long time not because I actually like their company.

Yes EJ, I hadn't thought of that before...that my friends are also going thru their Saturn returns so we're all probably pruning our lives in some way.

I've never really had a group of friends, although I've always wanted them (which is strange as my south node is in the 11th in Aquarius...it's something that should come easily to me). I've always had lots individual friends who don't know each other and who belonged to different groups and I find it really dissipates my energy trying to juggle them and make time for them all equally. As they're all so different, I can't see them together at the same time as they don't get along with each other.

astropsych you said,
I've never really had a group of friends, although I've always wanted them (which is strange as my south node is in the 11th in Aquarius...it's something that should come easily to me). I've always had lots individual friends who don't know each other and who belonged to different groups and I find it really dissipates my energy trying to juggle them and make time for them all equally. As they're all so different, I can't see them together at the same time as they don't get along with each other.

I'm a modern astrologer that uses Equal house and in your case feel it more justified, just look at those huge 6th & 12th houses...:w00t:
Now in placidus T Uranus is in 12th house and will be for years, T Neptune going through 10th.
Cos your Venus is in 2nd house and squared by uranus I would have thought a change in finances and how your earn them?
T Saturn is going through 5th house and your moon, mars & Jupiter are all in 4th house
Your chart really lacks the element of water but in Equal house you have 4planets in water houses, but not in placidus.

Don't forget Neptune dissolves things and will soon opp moon, mars and jupiter from 10th which will prob cause emotional disillusionment, opp mars, low energy prob need to sleep more and opp jupiter overgenerous to family members....

Think it's T Saturn and T Uranus squaring your venus that's causing so much disruption. Like you said above your friends/groups are all different and sounds bit scattered too...

astropsychologist

Yeah those huge 6th and 12th houses are a pain....it takes forever for a planet to transit through!!!
And yeah Ive had a big change in my finances...I have none as I went back to college last year and still havent been able to get a job!
You're right the problem probably lies with Uranus and Saturn square Venus, but Uranus has moved on now. And I've been feeling the Neptune influence for the past year.

star2858

I have few friends.

Aquarious rules my 11th house.

I have sun, venus and Mars all in virgo in my 5th house ruled by Leo. All are squared by saturn in the 7th house (scorpio)

Loneliness scares me!

astropsychologist

Loneliness terrifies me too at times. But I'm trying to learn to embrace it and get comfortable with feeling lonely. I think a big thing for me is not so much loneliness but a fear of appearing lonely to others, so the less I care what others think the easier I find loneliness to deal with.

astropsychologist

It's funny I would have thought with that many planets in Virgo you'd like being alone and that the square from Saturn in the 7th would make you avoid the company of others

I have :jupiter: in the 11th house, and my view is that groups/organizations represent like (5th) minded (11th) people getting together who share a common (11th) identity (5th), and it doesn't always mean their goals are altruistic. Usually, what you enjoy doing, or what you value or believe in, connects you with those who share your talents, interests and goals. You could start your own organization, social club, or team. You can join in with these people, and become a part of something big that helps 'everybody' and improves society.

The 11th represents society itself as a large group, it represents a mass of people and we see less of the individual (Leo) and more of a collective unity (Aquarius). When people form into groups their cause becomes more 'noticeable' often they make faster progress and have a larger impact, there is also a division of labour. "Power to the people" is a Leo-Aqua-wordplay, meaning more individuals tend to generate more attention.

In this forum (an interest based 'astrology' group) we have Moderators who enforce the law, and we have senior members, and knowledgeable contributors. We also have beginners or newbies to astrology. Naturally, some members will have more social rank, and I am not saying this is fair, but some individuals offer more to the group, by being seen as a large contributor, or are seen to be good at what they do. Other people CONTRIBUTE to the group "ideals" by posting new and relevant topics, post articles or news. Every-body's contribution helps and it furthers our interests.

Groups have social norms and rules, as SOCIETY does. There are rewards for being a "good member" and punishment for a being unruly and breaking the rules, along with consequences and possible rejection from society/group, this rebounds on self-esteem and confidence. Anyway I have gone far too deep into this subject, than is necessary. You only wanted a simple answer, and not a lecture on society/forum life :lol:.

The drawback for me with the 11th house is that I also have :mars: in :aquarius:, and I fall out with people and have been involved in disputes. A benefic (Jupiter) and malefic (Mars) a gift in one hand, and a slap in the other :lol:.

The 11th house is a wider friendship, not close friends, but they share similar interests, values, or goals.

Last edited:
i have jupiter in 11th house, i have absolutely no friends(saturn in 12th maybe) because i attract those around me but i am so afraid to lose my freedom or be betrayed or be in collusion with jerks that i avoid any type of relation... Nevertheless, I have had always an helping hand that comes from nowhere when i meet problems !

I don't have close friendships since I moved house. I have never had loads of friends anyway, and that why for me the 11th house has represented social groups like this board, and not so much personal friends. In my personal life I am more focused on my partner and child.

You just type it like this below with no spaces or capital letters. I had to type it this way just to show you what it looks like. Go practice it and press preview in your post to see if it works :smile:.

: sun :

You can do the same for all the planets : mars : :mars: : jupiter : :jupiter: etc... and the signs and aspects.

Just remember no spaces or capital letters and you will be fine.

Last edited: