Disconnected from emotions - how to reconnect?

Neptune Rising

Hi dear astrologers

Is there a period that is good to reconnect with the emotions?

I am concerned about my own behaviour and how I emotionally react to situations. This last half year I've been told news that is heartbreaking. But, at the time I am told, I react quite calmly, its only later on in the day that I realise the full extent of the news and break down. Even yesterday, I heard something and didn't react until some hours later, realising that was a close call for her. The news I'm talking about is my mum's health. But its also when I am with someone close, perhaps they do something that shocks me, I only react some hours later. In some ways, it helps me deal with the situation in a logical and calm manner, but in other ways, I feel I am missing something.

I don't know if this is an indication of me being disconnected from my emotions, or if its a psychological protection that I've created. I know in myself, I am very emotional, very soft, I will cry at the smallest of things when I see suffering, but in matters that involve people close to me, I have a delayed reaction.

In my chart, Moon in Pisces is square to Neptune/north node/Antares. Moon is also forming trine to Saturn though its quite wide. It also inconjuncts Pluto. Not the best place for a Moon in Pisces! Moon square Neptune has good and bad points, as do all placements. The square has helped me in my life work through illusions, it helps me to get clear on what is real and what is imaginary, perhaps that is the cause of my delayed reaction, my unconscious working through things. When I do react though, to sad news, I also can take it quite badly, feeling the emotion in every cell in my body.

I currently have progressed Sun nearing conjunction to natal Moon, and transiting Neptune conjuncting them now, going back and forth over the next few years. I am wondering if this will help me connect with my emotions on a more instant level, rather than a delayed reaction. Neptune is a dissolver, it dissolves the barriers that prevent authenticity. I am hoping it will dissolve all my walls. I don't know what the progressed Sun conjunct natal Moon indicates, but two essential personal planets forming a new Moon, with Neptune the dissolver, either I will be transported to a parallel universe, or I am hoping to become more authentic.

Edit: I think my emotional walls if that is what they are, are due to Saturn in the 7th/8th house area in Cancer. Childhood issues caused me to wall of certain things. I wonder if the Pluto transit opposite to the natal Saturn coming up also in the next few years will help change that.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Sunny

I understand you, you are suffering about your feelings which will not express in the right time, there aren't coming up and this does you more suffering than if you could cry instantly.

First, I don't think that you are a cold person (fire sign on the ASC and 4 planets in water signs). As the ASC is in Saggitarius, normally you are extraverted, I think so.

You are right to have a look at your Neptune, but for me, he is in an excellent position that's the 12th, there he is at home. Now, as he is in the sign of Saggitarius, that's the sign of Jupiter, and this one is posited in Pisces which ruler is Neptune, there will be with that reception, perhaps, a certain disorder of feelings in the right time. You may feel in theese special circumstances a little strange, that you are not like the others and be confused by embarrassment, is that right?
I would say, if you know how you are reacting in this way, you can do your training for your vigilance in seeing inside of your heart to understand what is happening. And when you understand that much people are like you, it is no more such a great problem, isn't it? :smile:

Neptune Rising

Thank you Sunny :)

Yes its fortunate that I can recognise it, I can look inside my heart to try to understand. If I have some in front of me, a loved one, telling me some sad news, I do react compassionately, eg with a hug, but my own feelings and reaction to their news comes out later. In some ways its good, because me suffering with them may only keep them in the suffering. Its just that I feel some disconnection or delayed reaction with my emotions, maybe it is normal, I am not sure. And wondering if the Nep transit and progression will help it.

Krewster

The "wall" analogy may need adjustment if Nept is the predominate factor.

And Nept likely is...though before focusing on the 4 degree loose square to the Moon, consider Nept's 45 to your Sun (29 min orb).

So your luminaries and Nept compose a 45-40-90 triangle (the 1.19 orbed Moon novile Sun being so much less than a 45 bec of the 90 being so loose).

Off the cuff, therefore, it is not so much that you don't know what you're feeling but rather than you don't know where you are (or who you "should" be at the moment, as if the "acting" talent of Nept taunts your Sun with various roles from among which to choose).

Even if these guesses are off-the-mark, this luminary/Nept triangle represents a major irony in the chart worth exploring (bec the luminaries are well aspected to each other while facing similar challenges from Nept and should, therefore, hopefully be able to find enough strength in their mutual self-acceptance to gang up to tame Nept to taste).

Since the Sun is 8-ish x more deluged (by orb) than the Moon, the latter might take the lead (as if providing the Moon with enough support to tackle the 4 degree loose square).

Neptune Rising

When saturn is strong in ones chart then expressing emotion (or even recognizing emotions) can be difficult. Have a look for saturn and Capricorn placements for strong emotional self control It probably doesn't help if one has no natal sun/moon aspect (or a hard aspect between the two) because then there is no easy flow/connection between ones sense of self (sun) and emotional self (moon), sometimes we have to wait for the appropriate time and place to realise how we really feel as opposed to how we are expected to "instantly" feel.
The once popular movie entitled "Pink floyd The wall" is basically about how some (most?) of us build walls around our emotional selves, due to various emotional shocks that can be too difficult to cope with as we go through childhood/adolescence/adulthood. There is no perfect way when it comes to the emotional world, we all have a basic emotional connection (and therefore expression) between natal sun and moon which changes in flavour and strength with progressions and transits!

EDIT: I think that you have a good grasp on the planetary energy's in your chart (as well as a good grasp of the planetary archetypes), saturn in house 7 in cancer fits really well with your description of your feeling nature. Having a retrograde saturn tends to add to your emotional vulnerability according to this astrologer: http://www.throughnightsfire.com/LoveandSaturnRetrograde.html (This description fits well with my natal saturn retro)
You have had your progressed descendant conjunct natal/prog. saturn for the last year or 2 (depending on how accurate your birthtime is), the upcoming conjunction of your progressed sun and natal moon (while being transited by neptune) in pisces will should take you on an emotional journey, which should be used to explore this area of your life (as you are presently doing), but I would be expecting to feel a bit lost at times with all of that neptune energy dissolving emotional boundary's between you and others (along with a dose of confusion). I just participated in a nodal workshop 2 weekends ago, which was interesting because my north node cancer/south node capricorn natal placement was in direct contrast to another participant who had a northnode capricorn/south node cancer, basically she (the northnode capricorn lady) had to learn to not be so emotional, and to develop some emotional detachment from her surroundings/people and was to develop a more structured life, while my apparent path is to cry more and learn not to be so hard on myself! A good overall emotional balance is the desired result from any natal combination, meaning that if you can cry while watching a sad movie but keep your self more emotionally detached while doing mundane tasks then that would be a good balance of the emotional/non emotional selves! There is no "right way/wrong way" when it comes to our response nature, other than extremes!

I used moderate amounts of alcohol to break through my (enormous) emotional fear barrier when I was a lot younger, until I realized the health implications, so I then switched to using moderate amounts of a natural herb which allowed me to relax enough to recognize, and slowly lower the self protecting walls that I had built around myself.

Hi Caprising, thank you for your reply, sorry I took so long to come back to this thread! Yes my natal Saturn in Cancer in the 7th house may have led me to build up a wall and I probably did stuff down alot of emotions from childhood - folks split when I was 6, lots of complications I couldn't work through back then. That and pains from other relationships sometimes cause me to retreat into my shell when getting close to someone.

I've always had an urge to revisit my childhood town, I think to bring back the memories so I can now work through them. Recently my mum showed me pics of me, her and my father, plus other family, from childhood, that was emotional!

I'm definatly feeling the sense of 'lost' with the Neptune transit! But recently I've come back to my meditation, just 5-10 minutes recently, which really helps. I noticed that recently, I have become more in touch with my emotions, I think I am noticing the difference from now to previously, I am not used to feeling my emotions so much, so its been a bit overwhelming. It feels like I can reach out and touch everything, see the beauty in nature, in people, I am starting to sense love, in myself and outwardly, whereas before I think I've been more judgemental. This does feel like the result of the Moon/Sun progression with the Neptune, as you say. I have been too emotional at times, crying at a sad video someone posted in facebook - lol I was crying for 20 mins!

Saturn can be a tough energy to handle, so darned heavy at times! Interesting what you say about the north node Cap/Cancer. I had a friend with north node Cap, conjunct my natal Sun. He was very sensitive to his surroundings, he did have to learn to be tougher, maybe that is why we were friends for so long - me being a little colder, or tougher. I have another more recently met friend, his north node is in Cancer, conjunct my Saturn. Should be an interesting friendship! He is great at business.

I agree, there is no right or wrong way to react, I also feel our reactions start to balance out, maybe, in time, I am hoping!

Thank you for the ling also, very interesting!

Neptune Rising

The "wall" analogy may need adjustment if Nept is the predominate factor.

And Nept likely is...though before focusing on the 4 degree loose square to the Moon, consider Nept's 45 to your Sun (29 min orb).

So your luminaries and Nept compose a 45-40-90 triangle (the 1.19 orbed Moon novile Sun being so much less than a 45 bec of the 90 being so loose).

Off the cuff, therefore, it is not so much that you don't know what you're feeling but rather than you don't know where you are (or who you "should" be at the moment, as if the "acting" talent of Nept taunts your Sun with various roles from among which to choose).

Even if these guesses are off-the-mark, this luminary/Nept triangle represents a major irony in the chart worth exploring (bec the luminaries are well aspected to each other while facing similar challenges from Nept and should, therefore, hopefully be able to find enough strength in their mutual self-acceptance to gang up to tame Nept to taste).

Since the Sun is 8-ish x more deluged (by orb) than the Moon, the latter might take the lead (as if providing the Moon with enough support to tackle the 4 degree loose square).

Hi Krewster

Thanks for replying. Wow I never noticed that Neptune was semi square to natal Sun! Well isn't that just the nature of Neptune! It is also by declination parallel to my natal Sun.

Interesting aspect that you point out, I can relate to that "acting", with the Neptune, though not so much now. I was very confused to my identity while growing up, I took on various roles and personas. Maybe I still do act a little when with people, probably through insecurity, though I am becoming more authentic.

Looking at it, I think I may have been unable to get in touch with my emotions, though now it seems they are coming more into my awareness, as I mentioned in the above post, through this Sun to Moon progression, all with a bit of Neptune. Lol, I like the "gang up and tame Neptune"! Too right, trying to anyway!

Marinka

I looked at the natal Moon square Neptune and reasoned that the Moon (ruler of the 8th) is trying to express deep thoughts/feelings thru the third where the moon is situated but the third is ruled by Neptune which happens to express itself thru the 12 house of secrets which means it does not want to express at all - it wants to keep those thoughts/feelings hidden. The square nature is not allowing any ability for your innermost thoughts to be "felt" because Neptune wants to hide them.

Recently, the moon has been activated by a Neptune conjunction where it may be making the situation harder - rather than allowing expression, it is trying to push the feelings away even more. But, this aspect is passing though and shortly Jupiter will be in good aspect and might lighten up the situation a bit.

edited to add .. I went back and checked where your progressed moon was and as I suspected it is in Cancer, ruler of the 8th (either that or I suspected it would be conjuncting your Neptune) and transversing the 8th which is causing even more of an attempt at "soul cleansing".

Last edited:
M

may28gemini

I understand being disconnected from emotions because I also have Pisces Moon square Sagittarius Neptune. It's a tight square... less than 1 degree. I also have very strong Saturn influences- Libra Saturn on the AC aspecting majority of my planets. Your Moon-Saturn is trine, whereas my Moon-Saturn is opposite. It would not be an exaggeration for me to say that I probably never truly felt emotionally connected, even though I believe in it and am very open to it, I just never seem to trust enough. I want to try, but it seems bizarre to me and I feel more at home with Saturnine energy because I can control it, it's concrete and rational, whereas, lunar energy is hard to wrangle and is more demanding.