Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Houses & cusps

Houses & cusps For discussions on houses and house cusps (i.e. planets on angles, house stelliums and so on)


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 07-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
What House is My Mercury In?

My mercury is less than 1 degree from the 8th house and had I been born 3-4 minutes earlier (maybe even a bit less) it would have been in the 8th house. Some online chart interpretations have said it's in the 8th house since it's less than 1 degree away while others have said it's in the 7th house because that's what it technically falls under (not to mention that a lot of people don't believe in "cusps"--as in they believe you're either one or the other, and the one that you look at is exactly what the chart shows).

I'm guessing it's in the 7th house because my birth time is accurate and it is technically in the 7th, so I guess that's right. But I've heard if it's less than a certain amount of degrees you attribute it as being in the next house. Would professional astrology say it's in the 8th because of that, or should I continue acknowledging it as in the 7th house because, again, that's where it *technically* is and if I were meant to be an 8th house Mercury person I would have been born those few minutes earlier?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Birth Chart.jpg (508.4 KB, 30 views)


Last edited by Pisces13; 07-01-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pisces13 For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016)
  #2  
Unread 07-01-2016, 03:57 PM
sibylline's Avatar
sibylline sibylline is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 2,233
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

I'd say 8th house. It's literally hugging the 8th cusp. Most astrologers would consider it 8th or at least in both houses.

And we have the same Sun, Moon, and Ascendant signs. Hello, friend. I have Mercury solidly in the 7th so if you're on the fence about it, we could compare notes.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sibylline For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016), Kitchy (07-01-2016)
  #3  
Unread 07-01-2016, 04:38 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62,816
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post

My mercury is less than 1 degree from the 8th house
and had I been born 3-4 minutes earlier (maybe even a bit less) it would have been in the 8th house.
Some online chart interpretations have said it's in the 8th house since it's less than 1 degree away
while others have said it's in the 7th house because that's what it technically falls under
(not to mention that a lot of people don't believe in "cusps"
--as in they believe you're either one or the other,
and the one that you look at is exactly what the chart shows).

I'm guessing it's in the 7th house
because my birth time is accurate and it is technically in the 7th,
so I guess that's right.
But I've heard if it's less than a certain amount of degrees you attribute it as being in the next house.
Would professional astrology say it's in the 8th because of that,
or should I continue acknowledging it as in the 7th house because, again, that's where it *technically*
is and if I were meant to be an 8th house Mercury person I would have been born those few minutes earlier?
Fact is, the house location of a natal planet can change,
dependent on the house system chosen
easily verify that at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
there, fourteen of the more popular house systems currently in use are available options
Placidus is simply the default
to view for yourself how that works in practice
simply create two versions of your natal chart

one using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES option
and another using the Placidus houses option

EXPLANATORY ASTROLOGICAL HOUSES ARTICLE http://www.librarising.com/astrology...ignhouses.html


QUOTE

'..There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart" into twelve segments of life activity.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable.
A planet in Aries was also a planet in the house of Aries
so that in effect there were no real houses as we know them today....'


'.Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.
The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites were definite power points or areas of intense focus
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant....'


'...Whole Sign House system, where the ascendant sign becomes the whole first house and the others follow
and the Ascendant point can then fall anywhere in the first house
and the midheaven point anywhere in the upper half of the chart
was used by the ancient Greeks and the Hindus(who still use it today).
It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence
and immediately eliminates the awful mess astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so....'


WHOLE SIGNS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=42163
WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=39669



__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016)
  #4  
Unread 07-01-2016, 05:36 PM
katydid katydid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,161
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

I'd read it as an 8th house placement too. I take into account that by progression and Solar Arc, your Mercury moved into the 8th when you were a toddler. It works effectively as an 8th house planet, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to katydid For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016)
  #5  
Unread 07-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid View Post
I'd read it as an 8th house placement too. I take into account that by progression and Solar Arc, your Mercury moved into the 8th when you were a toddler. It works effectively as an 8th house planet, in my opinion.
By progression, her Mercury would've moved farther into the seventh, not into the eighth, because it was retrograde when she was born. Only after turning direct would her progressed Mercury move toward the eighth. IMO, that's a stronger argument for a seventh house Mercury.

When a planet is straddling a house cusp--or when it's in one house by one system and another house by another, which this Mercury would be--at the very least, it's in the eighth house whole sign--I would look at both houses and especially consider where their meanings overlap. The seventh and eighth houses both have to do with intimacy, partnership, self in relation to other, and other people in your life.

I would say the seventh house deals more with the nuts and bolts of partnership--marriage, business partners, contracts, rights and responsibilities spelled out, clearly defined relationships. Eighth has more to do with the undercurrents of relationships: intimacy, shared resources, personal and/or sexual chemistry, social taboos and archetypes, that kind of thing. Seventh house is the part of the relationship that's visible to others and verbally defined; eighth house is the part that's more sensed than seen.

Since your Mercury is straddling those houses, its arena is in that overlapping area.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016), katydid (07-01-2016)
  #6  
Unread 07-01-2016, 07:38 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
By progression, her Mercury would've moved farther into the seventh, not into the eighth, because it was retrograde when she was born. Only after turning direct would her progressed Mercury move toward the eighth. IMO, that's a stronger argument for a seventh house Mercury.

When a planet is straddling a house cusp--or when it's in one house by one system and another house by another, which this Mercury would be--at the very least, it's in the eighth house whole sign--I would look at both houses and especially consider where their meanings overlap. The seventh and eighth houses both have to do with intimacy, partnership, self in relation to other, and other people in your life.

I would say the seventh house deals more with the nuts and bolts of partnership--marriage, business partners, contracts, rights and responsibilities spelled out, clearly defined relationships. Eighth has more to do with the undercurrents of relationships: intimacy, shared resources, personal and/or sexual chemistry, social taboos and archetypes, that kind of thing. Seventh house is the part of the relationship that's visible to others and verbally defined; eighth house is the part that's more sensed than seen.

Since your Mercury is straddling those houses, its arena is in that overlapping area.
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied!

Osamenor--I see what you're saying about the mercury retrograde and I have a follow-up question...My mercury went direct when I was around 9 years old or so (although I still express myself better via writing rather than verbally). Would it going direct when I was 9 make it an 8th house mercury now that I'm in my 20s?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pisces13 For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016)
  #7  
Unread 07-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Progression is just a layer on top of your natal chart. It doesn't change the original chart. Mercury being definitively in your eighth house by progression puts a layer of eighth house meaning over the borderland meaning of natal Mercury, but your natal Mercury is still on the border and always will be.

Since your chart doesn't include your exact birthdate, I can't say for sure when this will happen, but your progressed Mercury will transit to Aries at some point. Based on the degree of your natal sun (which narrows down your birthdate to a few days' window, at the level I know) and tables from that year, that transit will probably happen when you're in your early thirties.

At that time, you might find yourself more driven to express yourself directly, maybe even forcefully, maybe more impulsive about speaking up--but your basic communication style will still have the traits of a retrograde Mercury in Pisces: intuitive, probably not that detail oriented, probably more of a listener than a talker, maybe deeply creative and seeing things on a deeper level. Most likely, what you say (whether it's by speaking or writing or non-verbal communication) will be based on that intuitive and non-linear perspective, but how you say it will be more Aries direct.

Something similar would be happening with the progressed house placement of your Mercury. Right now, how you live out the "Mercury" part of you may be more eighth house, but there's still, probably, some emphasis on the relationship/partnership aspect of the eighth house, more so than on the other things the eighth house stands for. However, you also have the natal sun in the eighth, which would make the eighth house extra strong for you right there.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
conspiracy theorist (07-01-2016)
  #8  
Unread 07-01-2016, 10:31 PM
AJ Astrology AJ Astrology is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 294
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post
My mercury is less than 1 degree from the 8th house and had I been born 3-4 minutes earlier (maybe even a bit less) it would have been in the 8th house. Some online chart interpretations have said it's in the 8th house since it's less than 1 degree away while others have said it's in the 7th house because that's what it technically falls under (not to mention that a lot of people don't believe in "cusps"--as in they believe you're either one or the other, and the one that you look at is exactly what the chart shows).

I'm guessing it's in the 7th house because my birth time is accurate and it is technically in the 7th, so I guess that's right. But I've heard if it's less than a certain amount of degrees you attribute it as being in the next house. Would professional astrology say it's in the 8th because of that, or should I continue acknowledging it as in the 7th house because, again, that's where it *technically* is and if I were meant to be an 8th house Mercury person I would have been born those few minutes earlier?
Hi Pisces13,

Regardless of which house Mercury is in, your Mercury is in the 8th sign (which is why I use Whole Sign houses for charts). Mercury is hindered by being in Pisces and is retrograde in a square to Sagittarius Moon. Well, upon further review, your Mercury is locked in a trine with Cancer Mars.

I'd guess that communication is not a problem for you.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:03 PM
IleneK's Avatar
IleneK IleneK is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: in this mysterious cosmos
Posts: 5,205
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Astrology View Post
Hi Pisces13,

Regardless of which house Mercury is in, your Mercury is in the 8th sign (which is why I use Whole Sign houses for charts)..
I agree and that is why I prefer the Whole Sign house system. It is unambiguous!
__________________
Ilene

"You gotta have heart..." Richard Adler 1921-2012
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:06 PM
Bunraku's Avatar
Bunraku Bunraku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 5,653
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Oh just put it in 7th. It gains dignity there


The 8th house seems to have stronger arguments though. Which one do you identify with the best?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:08 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62,816
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post

I agree and that is why I prefer the Whole Sign house system.

It is unambiguous!

Well said
Whole Sign House system places natal Mercury in this case in 8th Whole Sign House
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Bunraku's Avatar
Bunraku Bunraku is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 5,653
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERASC View Post
Well said
Whole Sign House system places natal Mercury in this case in 8th Whole Sign House
Which one do you use?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:17 PM
JUPITERASC's Avatar
JUPITERASC JUPITERASC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62,816
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post

Which one do you use?
Whole Sign Houses to clarify topics
Alcabitius houses to fine-tune planetary strength
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JUPITERASC For This Useful Post:
Bunraku (07-01-2016)
  #14  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Astrology View Post
Hi Pisces13,

Regardless of which house Mercury is in, your Mercury is in the 8th sign (which is why I use Whole Sign houses for charts). Mercury is hindered by being in Pisces and is retrograde in a square to Sagittarius Moon. Well, upon further review, your Mercury is locked in a trine with Cancer Mars.

I'd guess that communication is not a problem for you.
Oh I wouldn't say that! I can express myself very well in writing but (although I don't have social anxiety) I can't verbally speak up in class unless I'm just having a really good day and I avoid confrontation unless I know the person because verbally I just can't when it's someone im not familiar with--way to intimidated to stick up for myself even if I'm right--unless it's via text or something. I am venomous and offensive when I know the person or if I'm able to express my anger through writing somehow. Then I go for the jugular. Otherwise I'd guess people who don't know me or know me but not so well, I'd guess they'd say I'm a bit quiet. I don't know what house that's fits. It may just be because I'm a pisces and my Mercury is retrogrsde (pisces is introverted and retrograde Mercury expresses thoughts best through writing rather than verbally). So I'm not sure if that detail about me really helps clarify anything. But then by that logic since my Saturn is so close to the 6th/7th house cusp, i could say that my Saturn is in the 6th rather than 7th house (i mean if I'm already gonna say that Mercury is in the 8th), but i feel the Saturn in 7th so much more. So I guess I'll say my mercury is in the 7th house. If I won't "move" Saturn, it wouldn't be logical to move Mercury either.

Last edited by Pisces13; 07-02-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:44 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post
I am venomous and offensive when I know the person or if I'm able to express my anger through writing somehow. Then I go for the jugular.
That sounds more like a reflection of your Mars placement than your Mercury. Mars placement shows how and when we are likely to fight. Mars in Cancer = need for familiarity, probably more likely to express anger with family members and with people who are familiar enough to resonate like family.

But, since your Mars and Mercury are trine, they would team up on everything. What feeds one feeds the other, and what sets off one sets off the other.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunraku View Post
Oh just put it in 7th. It gains dignity there


The 8th house seems to have stronger arguments though. Which one do you identify with the best?
I have very strong arguments and go to the core of things--im not proud of this and it takes a lot to anger me (either pent up anger or one sore spot) and when I'm off I go for the worst thing I can possibly say--I regret it later usually but yeah. I'm temperamental and go for what causes most psychological or emotional pain. I can do this better through text or FaceBook message because I can't in person. Not at all. Way too intimidated for that. Unless I know the person well. But I never provoke first because Im generally sociable and enjoy people and overall I just don't like drama as it stresses me. It just infuriates me if someone is in the wrong about something and is getting too upitty and rude with me for no reason (let's say a catty girl that just doesn't like me even though we've never spoken). I cant say anything at all in person. I'm so weak in person. I'd be too afraid it'll stArt a physical fight and frankly I don't do that trashy mess and I refuse to dirty up my record. If its through social media or text, I'll win--I guarantee it. I've never been confrontational as a person though so this stuff is hypothetical. I don't engage in that childish mess or associate with people who would. I'm just saying, if it came down to it, verbally I'd lose. I'd shy away and look weak. Can't stick up for myself and won't. Let me write it out though? I'll come out on top and I'll use anything even if it hurts me to say it. Am I proud of that? No. It's just my temper. It sounds 8th housy...but I'm also an 8th house sun. So who knows where that comes from? I use the placidus system. It says 7th house...I can see that too. I'm generally diplomatic and can see all sides of an argument even if I don't agree. At the same time im very opinionated.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Unread 07-01-2016, 11:50 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
That sounds more like a reflection of your Mars placement than your Mercury. Mars placement shows how and when we are likely to fight. Mars in Cancer = need for familiarity, probably more likely to express anger with family members and with people who are familiar enough to resonate like family.

But, since your Mars and Mercury are trine, they would team up on everything. What feeds one feeds the other, and what sets off one sets off the other.
Pretty much! When I know you, I know our verbal spat won't get trashy and physical. It won't get unnecessarily illegal. If I don't know you or your temperament, I certainly won't test it. Interesting. What in my chart suggests that I'm easily intimidated? I always think it's because I'm a Pisces. I withdraw and let people dominate even though on the inside I crave the power (sun trine pluto and leo rising). One wouldn't expect being easily intimidated or anything from a leo rising, but I am.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Unread 07-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Guys--would a natal retrograde Mercury persons "mars trine Mercury" be different from someone with direct natal Mercury? (Suppose all other signs, houses, and aspects are identical.) Does it, for example, make any sense for me to look up "Venus square Uranus" and read the descriptions and apply them to myself if my natal venus is retrograde. I mean, those descriptions probably assume the readers Venus is direct. Would it (generally speaking of course) have the same outcome?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Unread 07-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneK View Post
I agree and that is why I prefer the Whole Sign house system. It is unambiguous!
I like whole sign, but I'm so used to placidus. Furthermore, whole sign puts my chiron in the 1st house as opposed to 12th, but I really do have a suuuuper deep compassion for other people's suffering and kids especially (chiron in leo). But as with most things, that could also be my pisces sun and Leo rising. Chiron in the first makes sense in some ways yes...it's so confusing. I wish there was just one house system. Ughh. It also changes my moon and north nkde from the 4th house to the 5th house and yet I'm such a homebody (I don't want to be though, I have wander-lust, yet I'm so comfortable in my own sanctuary--im a walking contradiction). And my mom and I are close. Don't always see eye to eye but we are close. So again, it's confusing. At times it seems like the placidus fits and now it seems like in some ways whole sign fits. It's seriously things like this that made me doubt astrology for a long time. It's so, "oh that didn't work, let's try some other house system and see how that fits." Which made me think, "how convenient, there's a remedy for everything that doesn't work..." I don't know what to believe! Blaaaaahhhh. Why is the house system stuff so confusing? I'm not even sure how Mars in the 12th (via whole sign) fits? Or how Uranus and Neptune in the 6th instead of 5th (as with placidus) makes sense...I don't know how to pick between the two house systems...

Last edited by Pisces13; 07-02-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Unread 07-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post
Guys--would a natal retrograde Mercury persons "mars trine Mercury" be different from someone with direct natal Mercury? (Suppose all other signs, houses, and aspects are identical.) Does it, for example, make any sense for me to look up "Venus square Uranus" and read the descriptions and apply them to myself if my natal venus is retrograde. I mean, those descriptions probably assume the readers Venus is direct. Would it (generally speaking of course) have the same outcome?
Every person is unique, and every chart is unique. "Venus square Uranus" descriptions might apply to you, or might not apply because the cookbook astrology description doesn't take into account other chart factors that are heavily relevant--your sun and moon placements, your rising sign, your angular planet(s), for instance.

If a planet is retrograde, it's stronger in one way--it has a chance to develop its unique characteristics without interference from the outside world--but the outward expression of it may be weaker.

The basic meanings of aspects hold up, though. Mars trine Mercury means your Mars and Mercury work together in everything. Your Mercury being retrograde doesn't change that. All it does is give Mercury a retrograde kind of expression for you. It still teams up just as well with that Mars in Cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post
What in my chart suggests that I'm easily intimidated? I always think it's because I'm a Pisces. I withdraw and let people dominate even though on the inside I crave the power (sun trine pluto and leo rising). One wouldn't expect being easily intimidated or anything from a leo rising, but I am.
Being easily intimidated is not a permanent trait. If you were fully in your power and aware of it, you would not be easily intimidated. What the chart shows is what's likely to happen if you are not fully in your power, and what could shift to get you in your power.

Much of your chart suggests sensitivity. Sensitive people are more likely to be intimidated, because they perceive everything so strongly. A less sensitive person might not feel threatened or need to withdraw so quickly, but for a sensitive person, that's a survival instinct.

Pisces is well known for being a sensitive sign, and also for finding its strength in adaptability. Pisces can easily become whatever is needed, wear many faces, be what others expect. The key is not to mistake those put-on faces for your real self. A healthy Pisces self would be able to maintain uniqueness and strength while being adaptable. Like a willow tree, which doesn't break in wind or water because it bends.

Leo is sensitive the way a cat is sensitive. Well attuned to the attentions of others, well attuned to social expectations. Put Leo rising on top of a sensitive Pisces sun, and it's a recipe for sensitivity. Think of cats: some cats pursue a strategy of approaching everyone and asking for attention, while others pursue a strategy of run and hide, and only come out when the familiar person is present. With an overall sensitive chart, Leo rising is more likely to be a shy kitty, ready to bolt at the first hint of danger. On top of that, Chiron is near your AC, which adds vulnerability to your persona.

Those factors alone would make you quite sensitive. Add two retrograde personal planets, one of them in Pisces, and a fourth house moon, and the usually not-sensitive Mars placed in sensitive Cancer, and it makes sense that you're very sensitive, and probably especially sensitive to the expectations of others (whether actual or perceived).

What you could ultimately become is a woman in your power. No less sensitive, but secure enough in your own power to not be intimidated easily. That will probably take many years of growth. But you do have some very powerful placements: people with eighth house suns are said to unconsciously radiate power, key Leo placements are power magnets; and Pluto not only trines your sun, it also squares your AC/DC, which is likely to make you seem powerful and/or intimidating to others--at least to certain others. All you have to do is grow into that.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Unread 07-02-2016, 02:35 AM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Every person is unique, and every chart is unique. "Venus square Uranus" descriptions might apply to you, or might not apply because the cookbook astrology description doesn't take into account other chart factors that are heavily relevant--your sun and moon placements, your rising sign, your angular planet(s), for instance.

If a planet is retrograde, it's stronger in one way--it has a chance to develop its unique characteristics without interference from the outside world--but the outward expression of it may be weaker.

The basic meanings of aspects hold up, though. Mars trine Mercury means your Mars and Mercury work together in everything. Your Mercury being retrograde doesn't change that. All it does is give Mercury a retrograde kind of expression for you. It still teams up just as well with that Mars in Cancer.



Being easily intimidated is not a permanent trait. If you were fully in your power and aware of it, you would not be easily intimidated. What the chart shows is what's likely to happen if you are not fully in your power, and what could shift to get you in your power.

Much of your chart suggests sensitivity. Sensitive people are more likely to be intimidated, because they perceive everything so strongly. A less sensitive person might not feel threatened or need to withdraw so quickly, but for a sensitive person, that's a survival instinct.

Pisces is well known for being a sensitive sign, and also for finding its strength in adaptability. Pisces can easily become whatever is needed, wear many faces, be what others expect. The key is not to mistake those put-on faces for your real self. A healthy Pisces self would be able to maintain uniqueness and strength while being adaptable. Like a willow tree, which doesn't break in wind or water because it bends.

Leo is sensitive the way a cat is sensitive. Well attuned to the attentions of others, well attuned to social expectations. Put Leo rising on top of a sensitive Pisces sun, and it's a recipe for sensitivity. Think of cats: some cats pursue a strategy of approaching everyone and asking for attention, while others pursue a strategy of run and hide, and only come out when the familiar person is present. With an overall sensitive chart, Leo rising is more likely to be a shy kitty, ready to bolt at the first hint of danger. On top of that, Chiron is near your AC, which adds vulnerability to your persona.

Those factors alone would make you quite sensitive. Add two retrograde personal planets, one of them in Pisces, and a fourth house moon, and the usually not-sensitive Mars placed in sensitive Cancer, and it makes sense that you're very sensitive, and probably especially sensitive to the expectations of others (whether actual or perceived).

What you could ultimately become is a woman in your power. No less sensitive, but secure enough in your own power to not be intimidated easily. That will probably take many years of growth. But you do have some very powerful placements: people with eighth house suns are said to unconsciously radiate power, key Leo placements are power magnets; and Pluto not only trines your sun, it also squares your AC/DC, which is likely to make you seem powerful and/or intimidating to others--at least to certain others. All you have to do is grow into that.
Oh I would love that. That's a goal of mine, time will tell if I will accomplish being more confident in myself like that. And "powerful." I really like my Pluto square ascendent, it's actually one of my favorite aspects in my chart. But I'm really not sure how it plays out in my life. Like I said, so far...I'm not intimidating or seemingly powerful. I do or say nothing to come off that way, I come off more childlike. Which is odd because I have pluto sq ascendent, saturn opposite ascendent (i hope that doesn't mean I'll age badly!), and venus trine ascendent. You'd think I'm serious, seemingly powerful and strong, and yet pleasant. Like a leader. But that's so not me. It's more like my fantasy version of me, lol. Chiron conjunct my ascendent might be what's doing me in. I've read it affects the self confidence of a person and therefore limits self expression. And Chiron is a lifelong thing...which is a pain! Because I'd much rather learn how to channel the other aspects. Coming off as intimidating and powerful to people is so appealing to me lol
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Unread 07-02-2016, 03:15 AM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces13 View Post
Chiron conjunct my ascendent might be what's doing me in. I've read it affects the self confidence of a person and therefore limits self expression. And Chiron is a lifelong thing...which is a pain! Because I'd much rather learn how to channel the other aspects. Coming off as intimidating and powerful to people is so appealing to me lol
You can never get rid of Chiron. It's always in your chart, always where it is. To be in your power, you have to work with it.

Chiron is the wounded healer. The trick is to change "wounded" into "healer." When you channel the healer side, you are very powerful.

As for coming off as intimidating and powerful, some of your previous posts have made me think you probably do to some people, but you're interpreting their reactions as dislike of you, and you're so sensitive to being disliked that it really bothers you. If people find you intimidating, the fact is, they will dislike you... unless they're mature enough to make that awe instead. Which not that many people are when you're college age. Speaking as someone who also has Pluto square the AC/DC.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Unread 07-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
You can never get rid of Chiron. It's always in your chart, always where it is. To be in your power, you have to work with it.

Chiron is the wounded healer. The trick is to change "wounded" into "healer." When you channel the healer side, you are very powerful.

As for coming off as intimidating and powerful, some of your previous posts have made me think you probably do to some people, but you're interpreting their reactions as dislike of you, and you're so sensitive to being disliked that it really bothers you. If people find you intimidating, the fact is, they will dislike you... unless they're mature enough to make that awe instead. Which not that many people are when you're college age. Speaking as someone who also has Pluto square the AC/DC.
Good point about that, I didn't think about it like that.

Last question: Given all that I wrote on here, would you say I should consider my Mercury in the 7th or 8th? (If you think 8th, then how would we explain that my Saturn is on the 6th and 7th house cusp, but its for sure the 7th just like the chart shows and not the 6th like the close cusp may suggest).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Unread 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Osamenor's Avatar
Osamenor Osamenor is online now
Senior Member, Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,290
Re: What House is My Mercury In?

The difference between your Saturn and Mercury house placements is a matter of minutes--literally. You have the seventh house cusp at 24 degrees 21 minutes Aquarius, and Saturn at 24 degrees 41 minutes, which puts it on the seventh house side of the cusp. Eighth house cusp, meanwhile, is at 14 degrees 50 minutes Pisces, while Mercury is at 14 degrees 21 minutes, still on the seventh house side. It's those tiny fractions of degrees that determine which houses your cusp planets are in.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Unread 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Pisces13 Pisces13 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
The difference between your Saturn and Mercury house placements is a matter of minutes--literally. You have the seventh house cusp at 24 degrees 21 minutes Aquarius, and Saturn at 24 degrees 41 minutes, which puts it on the seventh house side of the cusp. Eighth house cusp, meanwhile, is at 14 degrees 50 minutes Pisces, while Mercury is at 14 degrees 21 minutes, still on the seventh house side. It's those tiny fractions of degrees that determine which houses your cusp planets are in.
I've given it some thought and I'm going to go ahead and think of it as 7th house--mostly because if it was meant to be in the 8th house, it would have been. There's probably a reason for it being in the 7th the way it is. Although the 8th house Mercury fits me so well. Then again, whenever I look up "whatever in the 'x' house" or "whatever (aspecting) whatever" or "ruler of x in the x house" literally all the other aspects describe me as well, so I don't know. Just this morning I looked up "neptune in the 5th house" and not only did that fit me, but so did "neptune in the 3rd" "Neptune in the 8th" etc. And that's precisely why most of my friends don't believe in astrology, lol. It just seems convenient that there are SO many aspects in the chart and ways everything can be interpreted and that humans all have different layers to their personality--and the fact that sometimes a certain aspect or placement we don't have also fits is to a tee. And that's kind of why I still have my doubts about it too sometimes but I'm addicted to astrology, lol. Anyway, thank you!

Last edited by Pisces13; 07-02-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
house, mercury

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.