Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM

Is Lindagoodman.com regarded as a joke here?

It would seem so. This place seems a lot more serious about astrology whereas there its like some kind of anything goes fight fest. It almost overwhelmingly seems to be populated by angsty teen girls or angsty women just entering menopause. There's also a lot of negativity over there and not very good of a community. I made an account because it seems like they talk about a wider variety of topics and reply quicker, but have come to realize quantity isn't better over quality. Does that site have somewhat of a bad reputation here?

Unread 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Account Closed

Re: Is Lindagoodman.com regarded as a joke here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoJeo View Post
It would seem so. This place seems a lot more serious about astrology whereas there its like some kind of anything goes fight fest. It almost overwhelmingly seems to be populated by angsty teen girls or angsty women just entering menopause. There's also a lot of negativity over there and not very good of a community. I made an account because it seems like they talk about a wider variety of topics and reply quicker, but have come to realize quantity isn't better over quality. Does that site have somewhat of a bad reputation here?
Linda Goodman has a reputation for simplistic astrology only bearing on the Sun Sign. Real professional astrology is way way way more complicated than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathu For This Useful Post:
melleoscorp (09-23-2015)
Unread 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Linda Goodman has a reputation for simplistic astrology only bearing on the Sun Sign. Real professional astrology is way way way more complicated than that.
Steven Forrest says there are 10,000 personalities in a chart and it takes a lot of communication between client and astrologer to really get to the heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moondancing For This Useful Post:
junoisuppose (06-03-2014)
Unread 06-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondancing View Post
Steven Forrest says there are 10,000 personalities in a chart and it takes a lot of communication between client and astrologer to really get to the heart.
I think that Steven Forrest has erred by at least two orders of magnitude. And as a counseling astrologer, I won't do a full analysis without communication between sets of information.
Unread 06-03-2014, 07:11 AM

While I don't agree with calling the posters there "angsty teen girls/women", I do see your point about the forum not seeming so intensive about astrological study as a whole.

Also, they seem more likely to entertain/actually respond to more problematic forms of questioning about things that may only be tangentially related to astrology. I wouldn't say that it's seen as a joke by people here. From what I can tell (And I only see about twenty really regular posters because I'm not the speediest/most active poster myself ), there's just not really any attention paid to comparing the forums.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silversong For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-22-2016), junoisuppose (06-03-2014), LeoJeo (06-03-2014), ThePiscesPrincess (06-04-2014)
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondancing View Post
I don't know who Steven Forrest is and don't care. And if it takes him that much communication to do a chart, he's not an astrologer but a psychologist.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:23 AM

As for Linda Goodman, it's beginner pop astrology. For those with a passing 10-second attention span, it's fine, but it nowhere near approximates real astrology as done by the professionals here.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:33 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdinaz View Post
I don't know who Steven Forrest is and don't care. And if it takes him that much communication to do a chart, he's not an astrologer but a psychologist.
We call that a counseling astrologer. They meet with the client a number of times and help the client through difficulties using astrology as a base, and counseling as a process.

Of course to do it, you need counseling credentials too, and most astrologers do not have that.
Unread 06-06-2014, 01:34 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
As for Linda Goodman, it's beginner pop astrology. For those with a passing 10-second attention span, it's fine, but it nowhere near approximates real astrology as done by the professionals here.
Linda is going to be rolling over in her grave now!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zarathu For This Useful Post:
WHYNOT (12-27-2016)
Unread 06-06-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Linda is going to be rolling over in her grave now!

She's dead? Whoops.
Unread 06-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
She's dead? Whoops.
She died in 1995, at age 70, almost 20 years ago.
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:18 PM

I sometimes look up astro things on google. And I've read up on different things using the linda goodman site. I understand the depth of real astrology certainly, but I've found some interesting astro info on that site too, though i don't have an account there.

I don't shun the site. Her books themselves were fun introductions to astrology back when I was a teenager.. before the internet and all.. bookstores and libraries was where the information was so.. and that is what they had there in the astrology sections. Not afraid to admit it, it is what is is, you know. i'm sure many real astrologers were introduced to astrology via some of her writings.

as for angsty teens and women entering menopause frequenting that site..
Not going to go on a tangent with that comment, just say i disagree with gender based comments like that.

AW, has it's fair share of ..."colorful" people too. which makes AW's ignore feature a blessing!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashriia For This Useful Post:
craft94 (12-22-2016), Silversong (06-07-2014), Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashriia View Post

AW, has it's fair share of ..."colorful" people too. which makes AW's ignore feature a blessing!
There's an ignore feature?? How do you use it?

I'm sure over there they would stereotype AW as a bunch of snooty-pants elitists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flapjacks For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 06-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
There's an ignore feature?? How do you use it?

I'm sure over there they would stereotype AW as a bunch of snooty-pants elitists.
yep. lol.

Ignore feature can be found:

go to your User control panel. scroll down the left hand section. Click Edit Ignore list and just add usernames to it.
fun stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to ashriia For This Useful Post:
craft94 (06-17-2016)
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
She died in 1995, at age 70, almost 20 years ago.
How does a dead person have a website for 20+ years? There weren't even any websites in 1995 (or just a tiny handful of text sites, I remember that Lynx browser).
Unread 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Hi, Mdinaz! I can answer that.

Linda Goodman never started or acted as administrator of Linda-Goodman.com. It was a forum started by another person in honor to her. As far as I'd seen, the creator of the forum really likes her writing and admires her as a person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Silversong For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 06-07-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversong View Post
Hi, Mdinaz! I can answer that.

Linda Goodman never started or acted as administrator of Linda-Goodman.com. It was a forum started by another person in honor to her. As far as I'd seen, the creator of the forum really likes her writing and admires her as a person.
I would think the owners of her estate would be opposed to someone using her name in such a fashion, unless they paid for a license to do so. Linda Goodman would have an extensive estate with all her books that still make money ...
Unread 06-21-2014, 05:44 AM

*shrug* I don't know any such particulars, but I guess it's regarded like a fan-page thing. There are tons of fan pages and such that don't make money from whatever it is they are celebrating, even when it's all over the fan-site!
The Following User Says Thank You to Silversong For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 09-22-2015, 11:57 PM

Some people here don't agree with Linda when it comes to astrology.
Unread 09-27-2015, 06:36 PM

I like the real life feedback on her forum. When I had my first Venus-Pluto contact relationship, I thought I was going crazy until I read that was 'normal' with that aspect! AW's forum is more technical and 'dry' by comparison.

Goodman wrote the first astrology book to make the New York Times bestseller list and did a great service by introducing many to astrology beyond three lines in the newspaper or a paragraph in Glamour magazine. She is probably responsible for many astrologers being able to make a living as more people actually sought their services after getting a 'taste' of astrology.

She had an interesting life but a somewhat sad one regarding her daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Goodman
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeNow For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM

So you find that the information about the different aspects they talk about on her forum to be legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeNow View Post
I like the real life feedback on her forum. When I had my first Venus-Pluto contact relationship, I thought I was going crazy until I read that was 'normal' with that aspect! AW's forum is more technical and 'dry' by comparison.

Goodman wrote the first astrology book to make the New York Times bestseller list and did a great service by introducing many to astrology beyond three lines in the newspaper or a paragraph in Glamour magazine. She is probably responsible for many astrologers being able to make a living as more people actually sought their services after getting a 'taste' of astrology.

She had an interesting life but a somewhat sad one regarding her daughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Goodman
Unread 09-28-2015, 11:33 PM

Lindaland is a pop astrology forum where a lot of people go to have their charts read. Astrologyweekly is a pop astrology forum where a lot of people go to have their charts read.

Having looked through both forums, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 09-28-2015, 11:37 PM

I remember seeing someone selling horary relationship services.
I guess there's also professionals working on there. Linda land looks more active and less strict though. The focus/general atmosphere is very different.

Also I just spotted astrochologist on there posting yesterday. He doesn't post here anymore
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunraku For This Useful Post:
Sonkido (02-14-2017)
Unread 10-05-2015, 01:35 PM

I signed up for LindaLand almost a year ago, and they never approved of me (though they never disapproved of me either). I got impatient waiting and decided to join this forum instead, expecting it to be something similar and I am glad that it's not. There ARE a lot of rules (my username was supposed to be witchcraft with a B...but they changed it), and some people can be astrological snobs but free speech leaves room for stupidity and snobbiness is better than ignorance. Compared to most astrology groups I've been in,, there's a definite reason to be snobby. I appreciate the knowledge and depth that all of you have. Believe it or not, in pop astrology groups, I'm one of the most knowledgeable/serious people there, if not the most...Here most people are smarter than me. It's a nice change.
Unread 10-06-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft94 View Post
I signed up for LindaLand almost a year ago, and they never approved of me (though they never disapproved of me either). I got impatient waiting and decided to join this forum instead, expecting it to be something similar and I am glad that it's not. There ARE a lot of rules (my username was supposed to be witchcraft with a B...but they changed it), and some people can be astrological snobs but free speech leaves room for stupidity and snobbiness is better than ignorance. Compared to most astrology groups I've been in,, there's a definite reason to be snobby. I appreciate the knowledge and depth that all of you have. Believe it or not, in pop astrology groups, I'm one of the most knowledgeable/serious people there, if not the most...Here most people are smarter than me. It's a nice change.

Your user name was supposed to be B.itchcraft? If so that is freaking awesome.

Anyway, Linda goodman.....yea, I haven't visited that sight enough to form an opinion on it.
craft94 (12-22-2016)