Minor Aspects - Meaning

BobZemco

Those are very weak aspects and not practical with transits but they are extremely useful in a chart for secondary progressions.

All of those aspects are always negative and they are irritating. As always, we look at the Planet, Sign, House, Reception and then the aspect, otherwise it cannot be correctly interpreted.

You might see something like the 5th House Ruler in sesquisquare with your Ascendant Ruler. That could indicate a problem between you and your child(ren). Drinking, drugging, bad crowd, running away, having sex, getting pregnant etc.

Remember, it is your chart, but it is not about you, it's about your world, which includes other people. If you see these aspects, don't make the mistake of automatically assuming it has to do with you, because it might not. The issue might be between your child(ren) and your spouse (5th Ruler/7th Ruler) or step-child(ren) (5th Ruler/11th Ruler or Planet(s) in the 11th House) or your child and their friends.

2nd House issues, these aspects can indicate financial problems, and of course because of the slow movement of progressed Planets that is long lasting.

Going back to the 5th House, that is the 2nd House of your parents, and father (or mother) and so certain of these aspects might indicate they are experiencing financial problems.

These aspects between the 10th Ruler or Sun or Planets in the 10th House and your Ascendant Ruler could indicate problems on the job or with the job itself.

For Reception, the Planet not received is causing the grief, and where there is none it usually indicates circumstances beyond your control and your orbs for these will never be more than 30' of arc.

isismagdalenne

I agree with the irritating part. Although it was in horary. I did a chart for my sister about a job she was going to get. Turned out to show a semi-sextile between her (venus) and mars. Turned out they hired her, but they ALSO hired this other guy that was completely new to the company. They had to collaberate on the job and he was an annoying twit. A know it all that tried to take over all her projects and claim the credit. However...she was more dignified in the chart and elevated and is climbing above him now.
(I need to edit this, because he's actually causing problems again as of 4/16/11 heh. Im gonna need to double check that chart, I was going from memory. The semi-sextile part is still right, but I need to double check the elevation thing.)

Last edited:

Inconjunct

I don't consider the quincunx a major aspect, only the Ptolemaic ones, but wonder what the theory is that makes some people consider it so?

Lin

The inconjunt (quincunx) is not a minor aspect.
Also, minor aspects are only "minor" if they are redundant. But even if they are, if they come from a house or sign without other connections the minor aspect can give added information.
LIN

Claire19

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could describe the meaning of minor aspects : quincux , semisquare , sesquisquare , semisextile when transits and progressions are considered.

Thank You

E.H.
In 30 years of astrology I find that minor aspects are not meaningful in transits. I do however feel that the quincunx is a major aspect in a chart but you must remember that any transit has to have an echo in the natal chart to be triggered off. So I dont sweat the small stuff and deal in major aspects only......others may disagree and I would be happy to be dissuaded of my belief with actual proof.

Inconjunct

I just wonder at the reasoning behind the quincunx/inconjunct being considered a major aspect. Conjunctions - seems obvious to me that two planets occupying a degree or two of a sign/house would have some influence. Oppositions - ditto. Squares usually combine signs of similar mode; trines, signs of similar element and even sextiles combine similar polarities usually. But quincunx - nothing like that.

As for quintiles, biquintiles, septiles and all that jizz-jazz :andy:

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could describe the meaning of minor aspects : quincux , semisquare , sesquisquare , semisextile when transits and progressions are considered.

Thank You

E.H.
technically, it's described as a minor aspect, but I do involve them when reading charts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_aspect

When we express one of the planets or points involved in an opposition, the other planet or point feels "left out". Nevertheless, the opportunities to find a balance are there. With the quincunx as well, it can be difficult to merge the energies of the planets involved. But the difference here is that there is a sense that the two cannot be merged, and this is where compartmentalization comes into play. The areas of life described by the planets tend to conflict with each other—not in as overt a way as is commonly seen with a square or opposition...
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/inconjunctaspects.html
to read the full article click on link..

[deleted overly-long quote against forum rules - Moderator]

I don't bother with any other minor aspect, espec in synastry, transits, solar arcs or prgressions.

Last edited by a moderator:

astro11

The quincunx, semisquare, sesquiquadrate and semisextile do contribute to challenging circumstances in transits but do not have as much power as a conjunction, square or opposition. I give these aspects an orb of about 3 degrees. Like others have said, I have observed that the quincunx seems to have more power than the other minor hard aspects.

Personally, when doing predictive astrology I must see the same combination of planets in aspect at least 3 times to conclude that the energies of those two planets in aspect are manifesting in the person's life. I find that for anything of significance to occur, there must be at least one major aspect (conjunction, square, opposition, sextile or trine) in addition to minor aspects.

Mist Knacker

Hello

Thank You

E.H.
Semisquares and sesquisquadrates are hard aspects similar to squares and oppositions.

If these aspects are partile (<=1 degree orb), then, according to Robert Hand, they can actually be more significant than squares at a 6 degree orb.

If a planet forms sesquiquadrates to two planets that are square each other, then you get a Thor's Hammer configuration. A Hard Rectangle configuration occurs when two oppositions are semi-square and sesquiquadrate each other.
http://aliceportman.com/thors-hammer/
http://www.astro.com/mtp/mtpt74_e.htm

Quincunxes are now considered major by many astrologers. Quincunxes are usually associated with adjustment. A Yod (Finger of God) configuration is formed whenever a planet forms quincunxes to two planets that are sextile each other. A Bathtub configuration is a quincunx with a nested sextile-square-sextile.
http://sisterrayastrology.com/yodd.htm
http://joycehopewell.blogspot.com/2011_05_01_archive.html

According to Magi Society, quincunxes are positive except when Saturn is involved.

A semi-sextile is the same as a sextile but lighter in influence.

In transits and secondary progressions, these aspects are often used.

In Solar Arcs, only conjunctions, squares, oppositions, semi-squares, and sesquiquadrates are used.