Why is Venus said to be exalted in Pisces?!

JUPITERASC

LOL You just said this to an Irish person :kissing:
One mini-point to the discussion, for any of us interested in traditional astrology, Venus in P is ruled by Jupiter, the greater benefic, and has no direct inheritance of illusion etc. If there's anyone more knowledgeable on trad. astro. here, please add, but is that just a modern interp. of Venus, and Venus in P? :innocent: Actually, if we get a good trad. perspective for this, the story here may change dramatically...:smile:
Some reliable traditional perspective from Deborah Houlding of Skyscript http://www.skyscript.co.uk/pisces.html :smile:

Kindness, trust and a 'willingness to believe' has contributed to Pisces reputation as one of the most spiritual signs of the zodiac.

This is not some modern derivation from the attributes of Neptune. Pisces ancient history is riddled with allegiance to spiritual principles, and the symbol for fishes is often taken as an icon for churches and priests, predating the sign's traditional connection with Jupiter, (itself a significator for priests and religious matters). The adoption of the sign of the fish by Christianity is seen as an emblem for gentility, peace and denial of the ego in favour of the collective's needs.

Bossette353

Very true, I guess this is where different things in a chart come together and change the single condition of one of them. I suppose the stable, practical tone of Saturn is welcome contact indeed. I think a Venus-trine-Saturn is already a little out of the danger zone of some of the Venus/Pisces idealisms though. What do you think? :happy:

I hope so lol. I'm hoping Saturn will bring disclipline and structure to my desires/ideals so they're not just floating around in my head but actually come out in real life :smile:

tsmall

Premium Member
I tried looking up why Venus was exalted in Pisces earlier, but then I had to go to work (bills do need paying :pinched:)

All I could find for reference as to why was in Tetrabiblos, p. 31

Venus is of a moist nature, and becomes chiefly moist when in Pisces. Under that sign a dampness begins to be perceptible in the atmosphere, and Venus, from being in that sign, derives an augmentation of her own proper influence : her exaltation is consequently placed therin, and her fall in Virgo.

Further, not completely astrological thinking, leads me to wonder: Wouldn't it be a bit stressful to constantly be in the place of one's exaltation? Imagine for a minute the difference between being at home (in domicile) where you can wear your comfy slippers, skip the makeup, let the dishes go undone, and know where everything is, how it works, and arrange it completely according to your own wishes. Then imagine to always be in the place where everyone expects you to behave in a certain way in order to be worthy of exaltation. Think rulers or dignitaries. Do you suppose they can let ever their guard down when they are constantly on public display? Sure, everyone praises and worships them, but aren't they really ready to pounce on the slightest mistake, slip or blunder? It seems to me that when someone (or something) is exalted, there is always someone (or something) else just waiting for the chance to bring them down. Maybe that's the reason Lily gives being in domicile a +5, but being in exaltation only a +4. Or, maybe I just think too much...

Last edited:

MaeMae

Banned
munch ~
as you asked ~ and in broad terms ~ yes, i think vip's ability to attract and/or manifest their desires often goes awry for them, especially in the areas of romantic love. what neptune sees (generally for most neptunians) is viewed thru a warm, silky filter.
the toad never turns into a prince. the beautiful alcoholic becomes abusive and violent. the soulmate of a lifetime turns out to be a criminal...
the things attached to our objets de affection often become matters to contend with. because vip can't let go of loving someone, they have difficulty breaking bad couplings, even if they're getting the short end. these are the times i believe saturn or cap in relation to venus helps modify their ability to discriminate beforehand and manage damage control afterward.

Gogo91

In the traditional Western system, it seems fairly simple. My understanding is that Venus is exalted in Pisces because both Pisces and Venus are moist, and the sign itself represents the end of winter, a situation that favors Venus.

Venus is in detriment in Virgo, and Pisces is the opposing sign. Virgo is a dry sign that represents the end of summer.

Virgo falls in Venus. I don't think Virgo dryness is the problem. Remember Taurus is a dry earth sign and it's domicile Venus.

Venus is all about enjoying the goodness and pleasure along with love.

Virgo in Venus ask these type of question: "Does this jeans makes me look fat?" Its too worry about itself to enjoy itself.

munch ~
as you asked ~ and in broad terms ~ yes, i think vip's ability to attract and/or manifest their desires often goes awry for them, especially in the areas of romantic love. what neptune sees (generally for most neptunians) is viewed thru a warm, silky filter.
the toad never turns into a prince. the beautiful alcoholic becomes abusive and violent. the soulmate of a lifetime turns out to be a criminal...
the things attached to our objets de affection often become matters to contend with. because vip can't let go of loving someone, they have difficulty breaking bad couplings, even if they're getting the short end. these are the times i believe saturn or cap in relation to venus helps modify their ability to discriminate beforehand and manage damage control afterward.

I would add not just pisces either, ALL the water signs have a hard time letting go espec scorpio, who tends to hand on for grim death....

diamondbaby

I have never seen Venus :venus: in Pisces :pisces: as an exalted placement. :unsure:

The perfect fit would be for Venus :venus: exaltation would be Venus :venus: in Cancer :cancer: in my opinion. Venus :venus: in Cancer :cancer: is such a lovely Venus :venus: placement, just like Moon :moon: in Taurus :taurus: is. Taurus :taurus: and Cancer :cancer: are the most feminine signs and their ruling planets Moon :moon: and Venus :venus: are the most feminine planets, so it would definitely make a lot of sense to me if Venus :venus: was considered exalted in Cancer :cancer:. :happy:

Abby83

Hello all,

I'm confused as to why Venus is supposed to be exalted in Pisces. It's supposed to mean a dreamer, an idealist, a hopeless romantic, but how is that beneficial to the native in real life? On one blog I read, it was described a rinky-dinky hole-in-the-wall nightclub where those who are standing outside can see and hear the show inside. To me, that sounds f****** horrible. Who wants to have their deepest desires on display for the world to see without even being given the proper respect?! I have Venus in Pisces - 3rd house, a person whose ideals exist only in her head and who has extreme difficulty communicating them to others, doesn't sound like a good deal to me. Does anyone else have this placement and what are your thoughts on it?

I have to admit that I don't get it either. I have never found venus in pisces to be a more beneficial placement than others or should I say a sign where venus can be expressed better. I find that ppl I know with venus in pisces can fall in love with anyone, therefore having lower standards, sacrificing a lot. I don't like how they see the absolute best in everyone cos that's what gets them into relationship hell. They overlook any flaw whatsoever and then lie to themselves when they have problems later on. Rather than calling it exalted, venus in pisces seems to be a place of mistakes more than anything.

Abby83

I have never seen Venus :venus: in Pisces :pisces: as an exalted placement. :unsure:

The perfect fit would be for Venus :venus: exaltation would be Venus :venus: in Cancer :cancer: in my opinion. Venus :venus: in Cancer :cancer: is such a lovely Venus :venus: placement, just like Moon :moon: in Taurus :taurus: is. Taurus :taurus: and Cancer :cancer: are the most feminine signs and their ruling planets Moon :moon: and Venus :venus: are the most feminine planets, so it would definitely make a lot of sense to me if Venus :venus: was considered exalted in Cancer :cancer:. :happy:

Oh I agree totally. Cancer, Taurus and libra are feminine signs so it would make sense that venus is happiest there. However I see pisces as mostly deluded rather than having a feminine or masculine feel. Yes it is submissive and softly spoken, but that's as far as it goes.

Abby83

Virgo in Venus ask these type of question: "Does this jeans makes me look fat?" Its too worry about itself to enjoy itself.

It doesn't make sense for a venus to not care about how they look. That's why I love my obsessive venus in virgo. I reckon it's a better sign to be in than other signs where you overdo letting yourself go and overindulge in 'love.'

I have Venus in Pisces in the sixth house. I have definetely had to learn the hard way that seeing life through rose-tinted specs gets you hurt more easily. So it's good to 'grow up' and be aware of people's proper intentions. My Aries sun helps with that! But both are idealistic signs, so viewing the world in a romantic way will always be there. It's like living in a world where the 'Highs are high and the lows are low.' Yes, it can be debilitating at the worst of times. But at the best of times, you get to live in this dream world for a few weeks at a time, even if just in your head, and it's bloody brilliant. I literally described to my ex-boyfriend that every time I see him, music starts to play in my head. I was so much in love! Of course, I had put him on a pedestal and it didn't work out, but I'm happy to say I gave it my all and tried my best. Other people may prefer to protect themselves rather than make themselves vulnerable, but I would rather say I gave my everything and when it was time to move on, then it's time to miss them.

yes the world is harsh and yes you have to protect yourself from it sometimes. But when you are faced with people with cruel intentions, sometimes having a pure heart is all the strength you need. Your purity weakens their ill intentions. (Giving you time to get away).

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
The exaltations are old, older than anything we know, and are based on the Thema Mundi, lend their significations to the house meanings as we know them today, and belong to the traditional realm. If you want to debate them, first it is best to research them. Or not. Just tossing it out there.

Abby83

The exaltations are old, older than anything we know, and are based on the Thema Mundi, lend their significations to the house meanings as we know them today, and belong to the traditional realm. If you want to debate them, first it is best to research them. Or not. Just tossing it out there.

Thanks tsmall. I appreciate your earlier post describing why venus is exalted in pisces.

sibylline

I have to admit that I don't get it either. I have never found venus in pisces to be a more beneficial placement than others or should I say a sign where venus can be expressed better. I find that ppl I know with venus in pisces can fall in love with anyone, therefore having lower standards, sacrificing a lot. I don't like how they see the absolute best in everyone cos that's what gets them into relationship hell. They overlook any flaw whatsoever and then lie to themselves when they have problems later on. Rather than calling it exalted, venus in pisces seems to be a place of mistakes more than anything.

I see pisces as mostly deluded rather than having a feminine or masculine feel. Yes it is submissive and softly spoken, but that's as far as it goes.

But you forgot to tell us what you think of Venus in Pisces. :)

If a person you know falls in love with everyone and has low standards then I think that's a personal issue. Venus in Pisces is idealistic; in my case this manifests as high standards. I love humanity, but I don't fall in love with every human. The default setting of Pisces is not delusion.

Bunraku

As a Pisces, I find this thread to be mildly offensive.
As I drift in and out of consciousness, I suddenly found my answer: Venus is exalted in Pisces due to the universal bond we all share with each other. We are one, and love shall conquer all. We are all interconnected and we all share one mind--the universal mind. We all are one. We must assimilate others into “one”--us, we, and am. We are one. I am us, we are I, you are we. Resistance is futile, for it is the future of the world--love. You cannot escape, we/I/us will love you until you join us and enter us and unite us into one mind and flesh. We all shall have one thought, and that thought is love. We all move and breathe in synchrony, thoughts flowing in the same patterns, everything is submersed, and we all dive into our/I minds, capturing everyone in our exponentially strengthening current. Release your ego, beat it out of you, and give up self control, for love will guide the way. Resistance is futile for love is the future and you shall be us, and we shall be you.

Bunraku

Pedunculata
The Astrological Concept of Pisces

Pisces receives transmissions that flow through the universal current and sway in motion, with their sounds being fixed to their physical bodies. Venus placed here emphasizes the need for love of the universe and the need for all humans to become one and to dissolve their ego to achieve nirvana, cessation. The metaphor here is that they receive, awaiting for what the universe gives them, rather than trying to brave god and inflate their egos.

Venus in Pisces
Venus, the antiquated planet of love, placed in this sign, shows that the energy of Venus is funneled through the universal piscean flow and sways pisceans as they act like antennas receiving universal love. Love is from the environment, being channeled from forces unknown and kept secret from humanity (12th house associations).

sibylline

As a Pisces, I find this thread to be mildly offensive.
As I drift in and out of consciousness, I suddenly found my answer: Venus is exalted in Pisces due to the universal bond we all share with each other. We are one, and love shall conquer all. We are all interconnected and we all share one mind--the universal mind. We all are one. We must assimilate others into “one”--us, we, and am. We are one. I am us, we are I, you are we. Resistance is futile, for it is the future of the world--love. You cannot escape, we/I/us will love you until you join us and enter us and unite us into one mind and flesh. We all shall have one thought, and that thought is love. We all move and breathe in synchrony, thoughts flowing in the same patterns, everything is submersed, and we all dive into our/I minds, capturing everyone in our exponentially strengthening current. Release your ego, beat it out of you, and give up self control, for love will guide the way. Resistance is futile for love is the future and you shall be us, and we shall be you.

You're just mad Pisces is Jupiter's favorite child.

It's okay to feel spurned, but this is not the place to let it out; there's Chat for that. *hugs*

Bunraku

It's supposed to be poetic of what the sign usually says in the (modern) literature - - I don't want a condescending response from you and I'm not angry either.