Choosing the right house in Horary

shinrie

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if it is possible to use Horary to ask questions out of my curiosity of course for people/events not related to me. For instance, if I were to ask if the rumor concerning Person A and B (public figures) were true or not, I suppose I can use the 3rd House for the rumor, is that correct?
If I wish to ask if Celebrity C for example is telling the truth or not, which house should I use to represent the Celebrity - can I use the 10th house?
Thank you.

katydid

No, you will not get valid results if you are just asking out of curiosity about celebrity rumours.

Who is eligible to ask a horary question:

ONLY a querent who has a direct stake in the question asked is eligible to ask the question !

waybread

You can ask a third party question but it has to be a really important issue for you: not something out of idle curiosity. An example might be something like, "Is my husband's job secure?"

Usually third party questions involve "turned" or derived houses. For example, the husband is the querent's 7th house, and his job (assuming it's a career or profession) would be the 10th house from the 7th, or radix chat's 4th house.

I don't think celebrity questions normally work because the querent doesn't have a personal stake in the matter.

With mundane questions, like "Who will win the election?" the problem is that all kinds of astrologers would be asking the question in different times and locations. The horary chart goes by the moment of the question, so whose moment would be the correct one?

Inquisag

Anthony Louis asked a horary question, that is in his book "Horary Astrology Plain & Simple" about whether Mayor Ed Koch would win a primary. Louis wrote: "In this case, it is none of my concern whether Koch or Dinkins wins the primary. I am simply curious and have no direct involvement or responsibility in the matter." Louis determined from his chart that Koch would lose and he was correct.

waybread

One of the problems with election result horaries is that they are basically a coin-toss. The candidate wins or s/he loses: it's 50/50. If Louis had gotten such a question wrong, he wouldn't write about it in his book.

Sometimes mundane questions do have a real sense of personal urgency for the querent. This might be something like, "Is civil war going to break out in my country?" This is more along the lines of the political questions Lilly delineated. Monarchs consulted astrologers with a real personal stake in the outcome.

Inquisag

While I agree that election questions are 50/50, I do not agree about having a personal stake. I feel being curious enough to wonder sincerely and ask the question is enough. The chart I linked to before about whether Gerald Cotten faked his death and absconded with money is an example. I had no stake in the matter at all, I was just really curious.

It took some time to sort out the Gerald Cotten matter. Officials learned he spent the money before he died. I don't think I did the best job of interpreting the chart at the time I asked the question or I would have seen all the nuances. I feel it is an exemplary chart of asking a question without being connected in any way.

waybread

Sometimes a question that doesn't seem so important to me, is actually fairly important to the querent.

Olivia Barclay, in Horary Astrology Rediscovered, asked during an earlier period of space exploration when and where a defunct satellite was going to crash to earth. There was something riding on this question because it could have caused a lot of damage if it hit a settled area. The question wasn't personal for her, but perhaps she would have warned local authorities if she thought the falling satellite could do some real damage.

tikana

Hi everyone,
I am wondering if it is possible to use Horary to ask questions out of my curiosity of course for people/events not related to me. For instance, if I were to ask if the rumor concerning Person A and B (public figures) were true or not, I suppose I can use the 3rd House for the rumor, is that correct?
If I wish to ask if Celebrity C for example is telling the truth or not, which house should I use to represent the Celebrity - can I use the 10th house?
Thank you.

use 7th house.. because celebrity does not govern you
if you are trying to figure out if the celeb is lying or not ask specifically is the celeb lying about blah blah blah ?
then look at the dignity
i'd be careful with exalt .. it could be a truth but with exaturration

shinrie

use 7th house.. because celebrity does not govern you
if you are trying to figure out if the celeb is lying or not ask specifically is the celeb lying about blah blah blah ?
then look at the dignity
i'd be careful with exalt .. it could be a truth but with exaturration

@Tikana: Thank you very much. I'll give it a try.
Also thanks everyone for your helpful responses, especially the link to Lily's rules on determining whether Rumor is true or false :smile:. Sometimes it's hard to suppress my curiosity to learn the truth. :happy: