Many men have come into my life

Osamenor

Staff member
I was actually quite surprised to hear you say that jobs are no way to find a romantic partner. I had always thought that it was the way. I mean, if a guy has a job, that means he is not on public assistance. That he can hold down a job.
That doesn't mean finding someone through your job is a good way. People you work with are rarely if ever appropriate dating partners. It's often against workplace policy to date them, and even if that's not so in your workplace, it's still a conflict of interest.

Furthermore, people go to work to do a job and earn a paycheck, not to get hit on. Doing that in the workplace is a great way to get in trouble for sexual harassment. If you were male, chances are you would have lost a job for that already. At the very least, the one where a coworker quit because you made him uncomfortable. Women often get away with more of that, but are not immune.

So, he is not a "loser", in that sense. It's just a good way to weed out the bad ones, is how I always saw it.
You can meet people who have jobs without meeting them through your job. Most people have them (except at times like now, when the economy is so bad that many who have always been gainfully employed can't find work). If you don't know whether the guy you're meeting has a job or not, you can always ask. "What do you do?" is a normal conversation starter.

And as for falling for bosses, managers etc, I actually don't go out of my way to do that, it kind of just naturally happens for me a lot, because the managerial types typically have good interpersonal skills, and that to me is attractive.
Saturn at your DC might play out as being attracted to people who are in authority over you. Bosses fit that bill.

And when you say conflict of interest, what do you mean by that? Do you mean that men (especially bosses) might think that going out with a coworker is risky because if it doesn't work out, it will make working with her very awkward?
At the very least. And even if it does work out, it opens the door to favoritism and makes people think favoritism is going on, whether or not it really is. If you were dating your boss and you got a promotion, or a coveted assignment, everyone would think you got it just because of your relationship with the boss, not on your own merits, whether or not that's true. Nothing you could say would convince them otherwise. In the long run, that could prevent either of you from being taken seriously, being promoted, or moving on to a job you really want.

Bosses can't afford to have close personal relationships with their subordinates, and the subordinates can't afford that either. Friendly relationships, yes, but it still has to stay professional.

Also, allowing dating relationships opens the door to sexual harassment claims. Big liability for companies.

For all of those reasons, most workplaces have strict rules against bosses and subordinates dating each other, and some don't even want coworkers dating. At the very least, if a relationship does develop, one of them has to be moved out of the chain of command or leave the job entirely. So even if your manager wanted to date you, chances are it would get him in serious trouble if he did.

I actually want to build a website of my own, one that has a forum just like this one. I guess you can call that a true vocation. But even if it does happen, I kind of doubt that it would lead to anything, because uprooting my life and moving to a faraway place just because I like a guy, is not very practical. I still want to have my own site and forum though, because I find that people who post on message boards tend to be very intelligent (you being one of them, Osa). They also tend to be really unique, one-of-a-kind, and this is highly attractive to me.
Why don't you try that and see where it leads? If that's your dream, you might as well be doing your dream. You don't have to have a boyfriend before you can do anything else.

If you won't let yourself do your dream because you don't see it leading to a boyfriend, you'll never do your dream.

wan

After taking some time to take in and digest what has been said to me in this thread, I have decided to join a dating site, and this time as a paying customer. I used to avoid these sites because they charged money, however now I think that paying 15 bucks a month is a tiny amount of money, compared to the possibility of finding the right guy and having lifelong bliss.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me.