Yods. They make my brain explode.

robots

12th house Mars in Cancer quincunx 5th house Mercury in Sagittarius and 8th house Venus in Aquarius. So it makes a yod in my natal chart.
I've been trying to figure out what it means for quite a while now and I just can't understand it. If I find interpretations of all the aspects in the yod, I can't put it all together. I've tried many times and I still don't know what exactly it means. My brain just can't comprehend it.

See, here it is. Glaring at me and making me want to know what it means but not finding any really good answers. Help?
chart.jpg

Ooh, and I've also never been able to find or come up with a good interpretation of my 8th house stellium. Help with that would be appreciated as well.

gemini59

Your yod, like a dousing rod, points to mars in the 12th, intercepted ruler of your 10th. Mars is the energy of motivation, action, assertiveness and aggression. In Cancer mars is in its fall though has some dignity its triplicity. The 12th house is the collective unconsious, things hidden to us, it is our self-undoing, secret dealings, drugs unseen dangers. It rules hospitals, people who are confined, and charity. As it is an intercepted ruler of the 10th house of careers and reputation its energy manifesting in the 12th tells us that you may find its expression in all things 12th house from working with hospitals to charity to suicide prevention to working with animals.
A yod is formed from two inconjunctions or energy that has difficulty getting along and has to adjust. the tension forces the energy towards one direction or your mars. The tension lies with venus to mars and from mercury to mars...love and aggression, thought, communication and aggression...your assertion points its way to nurturing those who are confined as one view point. See how Venus and the moon occupy the 8th house of psychotherapy or death and rebirth and mercury is in the 6th of health.
I see you have a bit of a water trine if you include your MC with mars and Pluto. Pluto in the fifth joined to mars in the12th might lend toward a tad bit of trouble...too much fun so to speak. Pluto is our point of greatest unconscious. It is a source of great strength but is also a point of great weaknesss. Pluto in Scorpio in the 5th would =transformation +intensnity or sexuality+children or creatity or pleasure house. With Mars in water sign adds to this emotional energy.
going on with these dynamics we see your north node of karmic energy and point were you are heading to in Sagitarious. Its ruler is jupiter and in the 4th of family. Jupiter is expansion and luck and in Libra of relationship. We know that Libra is intercepted and we see it as part of the yod in Venus in partners resources and really love of others and psychology...family, luck , expansion, love , communication...assertion in others who are confined:)
That is my two cents.:)

EJ53

Banned
Hi Robots......Welcome to the forum.

Since you've been looking into (and experiencing) this Yod for some time, it would help us if you could indicate the appropriate planet/sign/house keywords to use for interpretation......That enables us to interpret using your knowledge/experience of how the Yod actually works in your life, rather than leaving us guessing about the many different ways in which it might do.

In reality, only you can ever interpret your chart indicators correctly......because that needs both astrological expertise (which Gemini59 has provided) and personal experience of the chart (which only you can have).

Meanwhile, here is one of the many keyword combinations that could apply to your Yod......(which might provide a template to construct a more valid one yourself) :-

Learning to combine (sextile) your creative idealism (Mercury in Sagittarius/5th) with the values of your society (Venus in Aquarius/8th) is the key to (Yod) being an effective carer (Mars in Cancer/12th).

robots

Thanks to both of you!

I've always though it meant something about how I can't communicate (Mercury) my anger (Mars) and want to please people (Venus) even if doing so makes me angry (Mars). It seems really simplistic, though but it rings true.
But the things both of you said definitely make sense too. I have wanted to help people, but usually when I attempt to do that I go off on these awkward tangents about how everything will be better and how it will all make sense in the end and I feel like I can't communicate my sympathy and caring towards the person. Maybe it's me getting overly enthusiastic and optmistic (Sagittarius Mercury) but although I care and want to make the other person feel better, I can't assert it (12th house Mars) in a way that doesn't seem distant (Aquarius Venus). But does anything show how to overcome this? I would have to utilize the Venus/Mercury sextile to heal others effectively and help them overcome their problems, right? But what exactly does that mean?

EJ53

Banned
....I can't communicate (Mercury) my anger (Mars) and want to please people (Venus) even if doing so makes me angry (Mars)....want to help people, but go off on tangents and can't communicate my sympathy and caring towards the person. Maybe it's me getting overly enthusiastic and optmistic (Sagittarius Mercury) but......I can't assert (12th house Mars) in a way that doesn't seem distant (Aquarius Venus).
Thanks, Robots......This is the kind of self-knowledge needed to make sense of charts.......and translates (for me) as the following keyword interpretation :-

Learning to combine (sextile) your optimistic self-expression (Mercury in Sagittarius/5th) with the need to be valued by your society (Venus in Aquarius/8th) is the key to (Yod) being an effective carer (Mars in Cancer/12th).

And that means "you must learn to assert and express yourself appropriately around others"......(which you already know, without using astrology).

...But does anything show how to overcome this?
Cassandra/Gemini59 has already pointed you at a possible career as psychiatric nurse......work that is valued by society; requires an optimistic outlook and replaces the "unconscious nurturing of anger" with "compassionate action in institutions" (Mars in Cancer/12th).

However, I'd also explore the intercepted signs and duplicated houses in your chart (on another thread)......as these appear to restate/reinforce the meaning of the Yod......and there is always merit in looking at an issue from as many angles as possible, but on separate and specific threads to avoid confusion (and to get input from as many members as possible).

Last edited:

robots

The whole "unconscious nurturing of anger" comment is interesting. People have often said that it's hard to get mad at me or around me. Now I know why. Hah.
This all makes a lot more sense now.

The duplicated/intercepted houses thing seems like something I should learn more about, seeing as I have quite a few of those. I'll go find that thread now...

The whole "unconscious nurturing of anger" comment is interesting. People have often said that it's hard to get mad at me or around me. Now I know why. Hah.
This all makes a lot more sense now.

The duplicated/intercepted houses thing seems like something I should learn more about, seeing as I have quite a few of those. I'll go find that thread now...

You have calculated your chart using the default on astro.com of placidus and I use Equal House system and am a modern astrologer. Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(astrology)#Description
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp
http://www.skyviewzone.com/birthinfoforms2/housesexplained.htm

It's only with study and research will you be able to assess where your planets are deposited and in which houses... thus see which 'glove fits'

That stellium planets actually falls in 7th house not 8th --- so read up and see which you identify with most strongly :rightful: Intercepted and duplicated doesn't happen with Equal house and is much simpler

robots

I just typed up a bunch of stuff but then internet explorer decided to kill it. Darn. Time to type it all up again...

But anyway, I think I prefer the Placidus house system for my chart. An 8th house stellium, I think, fits me more than a 7th house one. Also, it seems like an Aquarius moon in the 8th house would give someone crazy moodswings, but really logical ones, which is basically what I do. It doesn't really make sense, but I've even been told by my friends that that's what I do. Logical moodswings. Haha.
Also, the equal house system would put my Pluto in the 4th house and a 5th house Pluto definitely sounds more like me - "All or nothing in the romance area. Periods of really intense involvement followed by long stretches of nothing...Watch out for a tendency to get obsessed with the current person you’re involved with." Haha. Yeah. Sounds like me.

So I definitely think I prefer the Placidus house system for my chart. Even though the equal house system would make things easier, the Placidus house system makes more sense for my chart.
But thanks for all the information! I'll be sure to read up more on this stuff.

R4VEN

I love the title of this thread........... so honest!!!!

Now, as you have Venus & Moon in Aquarius, I can understand your desire for `understanding' of your Yod. However, having studies Yods inside, outside and upside down (is that from a Dr Seuss book???), I have come to the conclusion that when the Yod is operating in your life - which is most days, but more noticeably when either planet is being aspected by transit of progression - then you deal with it according to the level of soul development which you have reached. And you will react from the place from where you are capable of reacting.

You seem to have a reasonable grasp of it already. Perhaps that will do for now, and as time passes, your ability to see a major life test coming, and to deal with it in a more appropriate way, will increase.

Those with Yods are tested in ways which may not seem like a test, but you have to respond from the Highest place within yourself at all times. Last year - 2008 - my son was tested (the apex of his Yod is also Mars in the 12th) and he very nearly faltered and fell - he came so close - but to his credit he listened to what I and his brother suggested, mulled over it, and did the hardest thing - which was also the `right' thing to have done. The rewards have been enormous. But his testing time is not yet over, but he is getting much better at knowing instinctively how to respond to pressure.

I think you need to be aware that the easiest solution is not always the right one. And you will not truly and fully actually understand your Yod until you are really tested, and you come through the test.

robots

After coming home from the New Year's Party I went to, I had an amazing epiphany that completely explains my Yod. Okay, maybe not quite an epiphany but I did realize some stuff.

I like to please people (Venus) even when they're making me mad (Mars). But then when I get too mad, I expect them to be basically psychic, read my mind, and be super nice to me. And when they don't do that, I don't even tell them (Mercury/Mars inconjuct). And the way I can solve that is by telling them everything I feel about them and the situation. Solve it all with words. That would be the Venus/Mercury sextile.

That's happened to me about four or five times in my life and I just realized it today. But I'm glad I did.
First in the 4th grade with my friend who I just stopped talking to, then the 7th grade with this kid who I started hating, then freshman year with my best friend who I got in a terrible fight with, then this year with my former best friend who I stopped talking to, and then with my now ex-boyfriend Zach. This time I have a chance to do everything right.

In September, I messed up our relationship entirely. I found out that he was smoking, which was something I was really against. I thought I was being helpful (Venus!) at the time by trying to get him to quit, but I was also getting more and more mad (Mars!) because I was trying to make him happy and it apparently wasn't working. Eventually, I got to this point where I would just be completely rude to him all the time and expected him to know what I was mad at. (Mercury/Mars inconjunction, I'm guessing) I thought maybe if I was mean to him, he'd break and feel so bad that he'd stop smoking. I thought it was working. He said he's stop smoking and everything. He never did though. Then he just broke up with me. But now that I realized everything that I did wrong, I can apologize and tell him everything. Hopefully this time it will turn out for the better without any anger or fights or anything like that.
This may sound like I'm just a silly person trying to get my ex-boyfriend back, but I really do feel like we have something. Ever since I met him, being around him has always made me really happy. I don't know exactly how he feels about me, but it seems like no matter how hard he tries to get away from me, he always ends up coming back.

Hopefully I'm right about what the Yod means. I told this all to my friend Simon and he said that even though he barely knows anything about astrology, everything I said made complete sense to him.

Haha. Sorry for the huge rant, I just had to get it all out there.

R4VEN

I like to please people (Venus) even when they're making me mad (Mars). But then when I get too mad, I expect them to be basically psychic, read my mind, and be super nice to me. And when they don't do that, I don't even tell them (Mercury/Mars inconjuct). And the way I can solve that is by telling them everything I feel about them and the situation. Solve it all with words. That would be the Venus/Mercury sextile.
That makes sense to me too, robots, and I'm glad that you `got it'.

That Mercury-Mars quincunx seems to be getting you into strife. You seem to have a `glitch' between the knowing and then getting the message across to the other. It will be important as you develop this particular `muscle' - the Mercury-Mars one - that you check that others understand what you are trying to convey, and also to allow for others to disagree with you. This placement can leave you believing that you are always going to be right.

Good work!!