midpoints question

Catherinett

Hi, I just started reading the combination of stellar influences and some examples for midpoints are written like this "Saturn + sun - mars" am I correct in assuming this means that mars is on the midpoint between saturn the sun?

Thanks in advance

katydid

Hi, I just started reading the combination of stellar influences and some examples for midpoints are written like this "Saturn + sun - mars" am I correct in assuming this means that mars is on the midpoint between saturn the sun?

Thanks in advance

Sun + Saturn= Mars would mean that Mars is at the midpoint between Sun and Saturn.

That is my most indispensable astrology book, by the way.

You can do so much with that book.

Perfect way to interpret aspects in natal charts, and in synastry and to look at transits too.

Catherinett

Sun + Saturn= Mars would mean that Mars is at the midpoint between Sun and Saturn.

That is my most indispensable astrology book, by the way.

You can do so much with that book.

Perfect way to interpret aspects in natal charts, and in synastry and to look at transits too.

Thanks, my question was about the minus sign. On pages 28/29, he has four examples all with a minus sign on the last planet, like this "Saturn + Uranus - sun" My sister has had two very serious head injuries, trying to prevent a third.

I just finished Bernadette Brady's book on predictive astrology and she referenced this book.

miquar

Hi. I think it has to do with the notion of 'half-sums with a common axis' which is discussed on page 22. As far as I can see, it's like Arabian Parts or Lots. For example, the Part of Fortune is found by the equation PoF-ASC=Moon-Sun, therefore PoF=Moon+ASC-Sun.

So the equation Saturn+Uranus-Sun gives you the position of a point on the ecliptic which forms a planetary picture with Saturn, Uranus and the Sun. Three distinct types of planetary picture are defined on pages 21 and 22, and this is an example of type 2).

The best book I have seen on using midpoints in both mundane and psychological astrology is Working with Astrology, by Harding and Harvey.

Best wishes

Miquar

Catherinett

Hi. I think it has to do with the notion of 'half-sums with a common axis' which is discussed on page 22. As far as I can see, it's like Arabian Parts or Lots. For example, the Part of Fortune is found by the equation PoF-ASC=Moon-Sun, therefore PoF=Moon+ASC-Sun.

So the equation Saturn+Uranus-Sun gives you the position of a point on the ecliptic which forms a planetary picture with Saturn, Uranus and the Sun. Three distinct types of planetary picture are defined on pages 21 and 22, and this is an example of type 2).

The best book I have seen on using midpoints in both mundane and psychological astrology is Working with Astrology, by Harding and Harvey.

Best wishes

Miquar

Thanks for the response, I'll check out the other book. Seems to be a theme, one book necessitating another..

I have example 2 on page 23 and it involves four planets, not three. So I'm still not sure how to calculate this, like a lot?

Last edited:

miquar

Hi. Page 23 gives an example of a 'type 2' planetary picture, which as you say, always has four planets. The positions of these planets measured in celestial longitude from 0 degrees to 360 degrees, (with 0 degrees usually taken to be the first point of Aries of whichever zodiac is being used) fit the formula given. I think that the examples on page 28 are formulas for the position a fourth planet would have to be at to form a 'type 2' planetary picture with the three planets listed in the formula. Does that make sense? I can't think what else those formulas could be about.

Best wishes

miquar

Catherinett

Hi. Page 23 gives an example of a 'type 2' planetary picture, which as you say, always has four planets. The positions of these planets measured in celestial longitude from 0 degrees to 360 degrees, (with 0 degrees usually taken to be the first point of Aries of whichever zodiac is being used) fit the formula given. I think that the examples on page 28 are formulas for the position a fourth planet would have to be at to form a 'type 2' planetary picture with the three planets listed in the formula. Does that make sense? I can't think what else those formulas could be about.

Best wishes

miquar

Possibly, But wouldn't the meaning change depending on the fourth planet? I can't see the meaning remaining constant no matter the fourth planet, surely Venus or Pluto as the fourth would give very different results.

Catherinett

Possibly, But wouldn't the meaning change depending on the fourth planet? I can't see the meaning remaining constant no matter the fourth planet, surely Venus or Pluto as the fourth would give very different results.

I think I'll have to get the book by Witte to know for sure.

miquar

Hi. Yes the fourth planet would make a difference. Let us know what you come up with.

Best wishes

Miquar

miquar

Perhaps it has to do with interpreting the house position of the point - as can be done with the Parts/Lots

Catherinett

Perhaps it has to do with interpreting the house position of the point - as can be done with the Parts/Lots

OK, I think it's an indirect midpoint - the point opposite the midpoint.

"'Indirect Midpoint'
The point opposite 15 degrees Taurus is 15 Scorpio : this is an indirect midpoint.
In fact, it is common to use all indirect midpoints at 45 or even 22.5 degree intervals.
Indirect midpoints carry nearly the same energy as a direct midpoint. "

miquar

Hi. I don't see how that formula could refer to a midpoint. The midpoint of two factors is found by by adding the celestial longitudes and dividing by two. Sometimes this gives you the direct midpoint and sometimes the indirect midpoint.

Best wishes

Miqiar