The thread of Karma

aquarius7000

Hi,

Been long since I started a thread, but the attachment motivated me to get rid of my shyness and do so today:p .

Lot of depth in the attached, so thought I'd share with this lovely community. Could inspire us all to do some good karma.

Feel free to add your own messages/views.

Best
:)AQ7

PS: got this off FB.. just in case the mods need the source due to copyright issues.

Attachments

• 577768_559489687417815_1207055639_n.jpg
    577768_559489687417815_1207055639_n.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 34

Virinchi

good and bad are relative terms.
what may be good to you, might be bad for others.

in geetha or any other literature, terms used were 'karma' & 'result'
no 'bad' karma or 'good' karma terms used
it makes lot of sense

Cypocryphy

I won't write a disquisition on this subject, though I very well could, but there are some points I want to make so people can consider them, especially if he or she believes in Karma.

Before I go on, I know I have used the word Karma before, and I have used it in the sense of its traditional meaning, but I do not believe in it. I use it simply because it is a word that others understand, and it helps facilitate a discussion rather than impede it by disagreeing on a fundamental premise. I know this sounds vague, but I just want to state that I truly do not believe in Karma, and I want to state this without sounding hypocritical, now or in the future.

"Karma" means some sort of cause and effect relationship with one's circumstance in the present, in relation to one's conduct in the past. More often than not, the conduct will have occurred in a past life, and one's present foibles in this life will not necessarily have their repercussions until a next life. Its brother in meaning is "sins of the father" in Judaism and Christianity. It is the concept of paying the price for pernicious conduct that you yourself have no recollection of doing. This, in itself, should warn you of the inherit problem with the concept of "Karma."

AQ7's jpeg image is witty. I will give it that. But that's as far as it goes. It is misleading, and it does not accurately portray Karma. For example, stating that a bird eating ants creates a cause and effect relationship with ants eating the bird is erroneous because it implies that the bird has done something wrong. The bird has done nothing wrong. The bird is simply doing what is in its nature to do, which is to survive. A universe that creates an organism in which it has no choice by to engage in certain conduct and then punish that organism for doing what is in its nature is absurd.

Karma was created for people by religion. And that right there should be a warning. In India, it helped to solidify the caste system. You are born in this particular class and suffer your existence because you were a "bad person" in your previous life. This helped nullify most resistance by means of psychological persuasion. People want to find a reason for their suffering, and this was an answer that needed no verification when couched in religious ideology, backed by "sacred texts."

Anyway, the point is that if you believe in Karma, then you are doing yourself a disservice. If you think that you have a chance of learning your lesson when you can't even remember your mistake, and you will not remember your current mistakes in the future, then how is it going to be a learning experience? How are you even going to have a chance to not walk down the same path if you don't even know what path it was that you walked in the first place?

My suggestion is to do good for good's sake. Don't do it under the premise that you are simply trying to offset some imaginary "debt." If you are doing "good deeds" simply to avoid "going to hell," then you are missing the point of life. Your selfishness is obvious. It is still based on self-preservation and not altruism, which I think is the right attitude (my opinion). It is the equivalent of giving the police additional information to earn a lighter sentence, in a sense.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi,
good and bad are relative terms.
what may be good to you, might be bad for others.

in geetha or any other literature, terms used were 'karma' & 'result'
no 'bad' karma or 'good' karma terms used
it makes lot of sense
To the first two sentences in this quote.. I think that is a being a bit too lenient. If there were no accepted basic definitions or understanding of good or bad in our society that humans can abide by, this world would be in a state of immense constant chaos.

If karma = deed (as Bhagwad Gita puts it), then good karma is simply = good deed. The message is quite clear.

zenith

I won't write a disquisition on this subject, though I very well could, but there are some points I want to make so people can consider them, especially if he or she believes in Karma.

Before I go on, I know I have used the word Karma before, and I have used it in the sense of its traditional meaning, but I do not believe in it. I use it simply because it is a word that others understand, and it helps facilitate a discussion rather than impede it by disagreeing on a fundamental premise. I know this sounds vague, but I just want to state that I truly do not believe in Karma, and I want to state this without sounding hypocritical, now or in the future.

"Karma" means some sort of cause and effect relationship with one's circumstance in the present, in relation to one's conduct in the past. More often than not, the conduct will have occurred in a past life, and one's present foibles in this life will not necessarily have their repercussions until a next life. Its brother in meaning is "sins of the father" in Judaism and Christianity. It is the concept of paying the price for pernicious conduct that you yourself have no recollection of doing. This, in itself, should warn you of the inherit problem with the concept of "Karma."

AQ7's jpeg image is witty. I will give it that. But that's as far as it goes. It is misleading, and it does not accurately portray Karma. For example, stating that a bird eating ants creates a cause and effect relationship with ants eating the bird is erroneous because it implies that the bird has done something wrong. The bird has done nothing wrong. The bird is simply doing what is in its nature to do, which is to survive. A universe that creates an organism in which it has no choice by to engage in certain conduct and then punish that organism for doing what is in its nature is absurd.

Karma was created for people by religion. And that right there should be a warning. In India, it helped to solidify the caste system. You are born in this particular class and suffer your existence because you were a "bad person" in your previous life. This helped nullify most resistance by means of psychological persuasion. People want to find a reason for their suffering, and this was an answer that needed no verification when couched in religious ideology, backed by "sacred texts."

Anyway, the point is that if you believe in Karma, then you are doing yourself a disservice. If you think that you have a chance of learning your lesson when you can't even remember your mistake, and you will not remember your current mistakes in the future, then how is it going to be a learning experience? How are you even going to have a chance to not walk down the same path if you don't even know what path it was that you walked in the first place?

My suggestion is to do good for good's sake. Don't do it under the premise that you are simply trying to offset some imaginary "debt." If you are doing "good deeds" simply to avoid "going to hell," then you are missing the point of life. Your selfishness is obvious. It is still based on self-preservation and not altruism, which I think is the right attitude (my opinion). It is the equivalent of giving the police additional information to earn a lighter sentence, in a sense.

Karma like all words, is interpreted and expressed by the people who uses them, so like all words, there is a spectrum of humanness displayed in its outward expression... but the universal law of this flow, karma, is in effect and powerful. I express it as: To take the consequence as the price of your choices. Functional when making that choice, consequential when blind to it.

Cheers.

Virinchi

how can you define good or bad ?
they're not constant.

you need to understand 'theory of relativity' here.
suppose, if you help someone, you may get a sweet.
it may be 'good' for you, but 'bad' for a diabetic !

if that diabetic guy expects something sour in return, it will look good for him, but you will feel, he got bad reward in return.
there's no permanent good/bad in this world. It changes..

In summer, when you face extreme heat, you will think 'it would be nice if it rains'
but when it rains heavily, you wont like it.

ultimate idea is karma is not just a deed.. it can be a deed, attempt, thought of a deed, or even a mere thought.
everything will have its result

reason behind our minds following karma is too complex to explain here.
its more of thermodynamics.

the concept of religion talking about karma is different and manmade

aquarius7000

Hi,
how can you define good or bad ?
they're not constant...
I calling you names would be bad, you still behaving decently and not doing the same would be decent and good. I stealing a chocolate bar at the supermarket would be bad, you giving a chocolate bar or food to a hungry child would be good, etc, etc, etc,. I am talking about such obvious and generally universally accepted goods and bads. Don't need no theories to understand that. But one can refute anything for the heck of it.

Last edited:

aquarius7000

Hi
....For example, stating that a bird eating ants creates a cause and effect relationship with ants eating the bird is erroneous because it implies that the bird has done something wrong. The bird has done nothing wrong. The bird is simply doing what is in its nature to do, which is to survive. A universe that creates an organism in which it has no choice by to engage in certain conduct and then punish that organism for doing what is in its nature is absurd.
Not sure, if the jpeg has inaccurately portrayed Karma, or if it has been inaccurately interpreted whilst reading the poster.
The poster for sure does not say that the bird has done anything wrong in eating the ants, no. Please go back and look again.
What the gist of the poster is that today one might be powerful and dominte the other, whilst tomorrow circumstances may change, and the other may be powerful. Today the bird may prey on the ants (being the powerful one), whilst later the ants take over the very same role. Times and circumstances can change. The bird is suppposed to eat the ants, and later the ants eat the bird. Circumstances change or reverse, since time controls all. It is just to humble us down.

Karma was created for people by religion...
Again that is a bit ludicrous, I am sorry to say. Karma was certainly not at all created by religion. Karma is a mere lingual word coming from the language Sanskrit, just like the words I write here, or the English equivalent in meaning of the word Karma = deed, which comes from the language English. The word Karma has nothing to do with religion per se. So firstly suggest that we understand the literal meaning of the word karma, before we proceed to attack the country it comes from, and its social systems. What is preached in any country, language and religion for that matter is simply: do good (=good deeds) and you can hope for good results. As you sow, so shall you reap. I think the problem lies with the Western world and the ignorance that it is enveloped in about theories coming from other countries. People do not completely understand such theories, but they soon become a trend in the Western world. Little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. That in itself should be a warning right there!!

Cypocryphy

How is Karma being defined here? Or.... what are the different definitions that people have of karma?

That is a very important question.

Let us define “Karma.” Karma, as AQ7 stated, is loosely translated as “deed.” And as I stated previously, it signifies a cause and effect relationship with experience and past conduct. This definition, however, leaves much room for interpretation. So let’s give it some context.

It is now believed that “Karma” originated from a movement called “Shramana.” This pre-dated Buddhism and Vedic Hinduism, but gave rise to the former while paralleling the later. (See livepage.apple.com)

The Brahmanic religion later adopted the concept of “Karma” a thousand years before Christ, and since then, has been one of the main proponents of “Karma.” Their interpretation propounded its meaning to entail that one’s conduct now will have a bearing on one’s future incarnations in the life. Buddhists also advanced this concept in their belief system. As such, this has been the general understanding of Karma throughout the world, that what you sow in this life will be reaped in a latter.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, however, the definition of “Karma” changed under the beliefs espoused by New Age groups, one of the primary groups being the Theosophical Society. Those, such as Madame Blavatsky and others, redefined this concept to entail a cause and effect relationship within this lifetime based on thoughts, feelings and actions toward others.

This concept of a “cause and effect relationship” here in this life is not a new concept, and does not have its ties to the original meaning of “Karma.” At least, it was developed within the Western world independent of Eastern thought. In the writings of Emanual Kant, the concept of poena naturalis took hold on the public, which of course originated from the great minds of the Greek era of Western history. Here you had the concept of “just desserts.” What you sow, so shall you reap. It was the idea that justice is meted out naturally upon those who commit crimes against nature, and I think this should be used to describe the new age concept of “Karma.” This distinguishes Karma quite well and allows us to truly crystalline our understanding of the laws of nature.

Of course, this mystical (or magical) thinking that there is some law in effect that dishes out ones just desserts for crimes against nature is not supported by history nor the natural world.

For example, say I find some woman whom I intend to rob, and I walk up to her and sock her in the face, while reaching for her purse. And say I did not notice her large boyfriend coming around the corner. And say that said large boyfriend socks me in the face and makes me eat concrete. I would think: “Whoops. My bad. I guess I got what I deserve.” But say that said boyfriend was not around the corner but at home. And the woman had no recourse but to give me her purse to avoid further abuse. And say I got away with her purse. And also say that I never was punished in my lifetime for the crime I committed against her. Where’s my “Karma”?

Although this is a simple scenario, it happens all too often that people get away with their transgressions against others and humanity. There are no guarantees that justice will be served.

I hope I am explaining this well. I am in a hurry, but I wanted to focus this discussion before people start redefining the subject and everyone is try to address a moving target.

So the point being is that the New Age definition of Karma is really a misnomer for natural justice. This is, of course, unless you are attaching a mystical connotation to the word in the sense that the “Karma Police” are lurking in the ether to make sure you “reap what you sow.” That concept, obviously, does not play out in reality, not hear on Earth. So I would recommend abandoning it. If it really worked, we would not need a justice system.

Not sure, if the jpeg has inaccurately portrayed Karma, or if it has been inaccurately interpreted whilst reading the poster.
The poster for sure does not say that the bird has done anything wrong in eating the ants, no. Please go back and look again.

It has the word “Karma” in huge letter’s as part of its heading. We cannot read things out of context. Also, I was not addressing the poster's views. :)

What the gist of the poster is that today one might be powerful and dominte the other, whilst tomorrow circumstances may change, and the other may be powerful. Today the bird may prey on the ants (being the powerful one), whilst later the ants take over the very same role. Times and circumstances can change. The bird is suppposed to eat the ants, and later the ants eat the bird. Circumstances change or reverse, since time controls all. It is just to humble us down.

The birds situation for karmic retribution is moot because the bird no longer exists. The circumstance has not reversed because the circumstance is different. In the first situation, the bird and the ants are alive. The bird takes the ants’ life, in a state of oppression over the ants, as you describe it. In the second situation, the bird no longer exists, so the ants are not oppressing the bird. The bird, for all sense and purpose, is the equivalent of dirt, and the ants are operating in another sense, facilitating the natural cycle of life and death. There is no element of Karma in this scenario, regardless of how it is being defined. The bird cannot be served its karmic desserts if it no longer exists.

Again that is a bit ludicrous, I am sorry to say. Karma was certainly not at all created by religion.

Really? How do you know? Renowned historians and archeologists have not been able to definitively identify the origin of Karma, so how can you say definitively that it was not created by religion? If fact, all evidence supports the idea that it originated in religion.

I think the problem lies with the Western world and the ignorance that it is enveloped in about theories coming from other countries.

I agree.

kimbermoon

An interesting discussion here...makes for a good read. This is the way I see it: I agree that it is not about retribution; the purpose for that would be....? rather, it is about natural consequences; the purpose for that is about learning the need to be attentive to our actions and deeds. From a holistic view, we must be accountable for our actions. Much of what we do is actually rather spontaneous, the reasons sourced from deep within the subconscious...as such we typically fail to consider the reactions we cause in others, by our own actions. Since we are not aware of it, we tend to repeat the same mistakes over and over, in keeping with our habituated patterns and programming. When we do not acknowledge a misdeed, we then become responsible for the consequences. The problem with this is, that in our dimension, we are burdened by the time line that has been created by man. It takes time for our actions to be recognized, and most people fail to ever see a connection between the cause and the effect. Do you ever look back and ask yourself, Why did I do that? Had you done things differently, the outcome would have been different. As such it becomes incumbent upon us to be attentive, especially in relationships, to the things we set in motion by our deeds. Most of our transgressions are simply mistakes caused by misunderstandings or carelessness. Saturn demands that we be responsible in life, however that word is often interchangeable with 'obligation or duty'...for many it implies negativity...what it is really about is being accountable; being aware enough to realize when we make a mistake and make amends for it immediately.:cool:

JUPITERASC

All of us are called to account by 'karma' because we necessarily inevitably experience the consequences and/or the results of our own actions

– whether those actions are/were prompted by thoughts of the mind and/or the emotions.

However, what we CAN do is - NOT create the causes of unhappiness and instead CREATE THE CAUSES OF HAPPINESS :smile:

JUPITERASC

"Karma" as it's often portrayed to us only works if you believe in the past life theory,
There is considerable evidence that it's not 'just a theory' :smile:

For example:

'....Published on Apr 11, 2012
The story of Nicola is one of the most outstanding cases of childhood recall, leading to evidence one wouldn't expect.

When only a young child of two years old Nicola recalled past life memories. She prompted her skeptical mother to undertake a search for the truth. It's an amazing story and one that shows how close to the surface past life memories sometimes are in children....'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCcmr6UeNSY

Cypocryphy

Nicola could be tapping into the "akashic records", there is no proof that we have had previous lifetimes on planet earth!

This is an excellent point. Just because one has a past life memory does not mean that one had a past life. To clarify, this means that it is possible to have an empathic bond with another soul before one's birth into this world. (I know this is spiritualism, but I am an avid believer in the spirit world. I have numerous reasons for this belief as well, but this is not the right time or place to share such reasons.) But the point is that just because one has a memory of a past life does not mean that one has experienced that past life.

More importantly, however, is that a past life memory does not support the theory of Karma. It could be possible to have a past life and not have that past life adversely (or positively) affect one's current/present life. It might just be a memory or an empathic bond.

And I love Caprising's examples of Karma not in effect. They're much better than my mugging example. :cool:

Last edited: