The Horary Textbook by J. Frawley

Senecar

Just got this book delivered, and looks real nice book for Horary Astrology.

Chrysalis

Just got this book delivered, and looks real nice book for Horary Astrology.

DON'T read it LOL :w00t: Don't!!!!!!

This was my very first horary book i got, and Frawley had me reading receptions the wrong way around....it took me a good bit of time to then train my mind to read them the proper way, which i was not amused with.

Okay there's some bits and pieces you can grab from his book.....but ignore his receptions.

Chrysalis

An example of Frawley receptions, quoted from his book pg 88...

Mars at 15 leo, her planet is in the sign and triplicity of the sun (in a day chart), what is the sun ? Depp. She loves depp.
No depp loves her

At 15 leo it is also in the detriment of saturn. What is saturn ? Di Caprio, she hates di Caprio.
No caprio hates her

IleneK

Premium Member
Thanks, Chrys, for the headsup about Frawley's interpretation of reception. I had the same thing happen after reading his text and ultimately elected to switch to the more traditional description of reception.

But I have to say two things: first, the book is an excellent learning tool for the beginner, very well organized and a good reference book. And second, some of the best horary practitioners on this forum use Frawley's reception with great skill.
So I recommend Frawley's book just with the caveat to take note that traditional reception delineates differently and to chose a way and see how it works for you.

Chrysalis

Yes sorry Senecar, i didn't mean to totally put you off his book, he does have some good pointers in there, especially for a beginner i found him easy to connect with and understand.

I purchased his book before stumbling along AW, so then when i joined here i noticed others reading receptions the other way around, which left me frustrated and confused and asking questions as to why.

It then seriously took me like a good couple of weeks of full on practise and studying to turn my reading of receptions the opposite way around.

Maybe like ilenek has said, you could test his receptions on your own charts and see if they work for you, personally for me they didn't.

Senecar

Thank you. I appreciate your views no matter what they are :)

I never knew about Frawley's books, but recently some one in the Cartomancy Forum recommended them, and indeed I thought they could be good books.

I was reading Anthony Louise's book, and flicking through either Bonatti or Lilly, but Frawley's book seemed interesting as they are written different style - he talks about the traditional Horary principles, but yet he also tries to make point what should be taken, and what should be discarded and why - which is interesting.

But thanks for your comment on the Reception part in his book. I will make a note of that.

For reception, I think the best book for the topic seems in Traditional Astrology by Charles Obert, which I refer all the time, whenever looking at a chart.