Should I move back home? Help

Both of my parents passed away within the last three years and I have renovated their home as per my mother's wishes. Now that it will be complete by the middle of this month, I am contemplating moving out of my primary residence, putting it up to rent, and live at the newly renovated family home. That is the only home I have ever known (my parents built it and we never moved). It's hard for me let it go. The second option is to just stay put in my primary residence and rent out the family home. Does the chart show if it’s better I stay at my current home or move back to my childhood one? Both homes are in the same area and less than half an hour away from one another. I hope to find some clarity and am very torn on how to move forward.

I am trying my hand at some interpretation. The problem I immediately run into is on how to determine which home represents what astrological house. My family home I suppose is represented by a different astrological house since the current one I live in is actually my primary residence (represented by 4th house). Since I'm asking about the option of finding a tenant and myself being a landlord, how do I determine what astrological house the family home is?

I inherited the home from Mother, so do I look to turning the chart? If that is the case, I'd say Mother is the 10th house in the chart, and I would count down 4 houses to land on Saturn. Is that planet what represents the family home? Furthermore, would I treat the family home as income from a business endeavor (11th house turned so Sun is there). The Moon would represent the property price. Do you keep the interpretations with house placements based on the original planetary house placements or turn them as well? For example, In the unturned chart, Jupiter and Sun are in the 10th, but in the turned one they would both be in the 1st.

The below is for the scenario of renting the primary residence.

I'm Saturn, in the sign of Sagittarius, and in the cadent 12th house, but according to Lilly, the planet placement rejoices here. Saturn is 2nd ruler.

Venus, the property, in rulership in the sign of Libra, and in the cadent 9th house. Moon is exalted, in the sign of Taurus, and in the angular 4th. Venus is 4th and 9th ruler.

Mars, both the property's price and my hopes/wishes, in detriment, in the sign of Libra, and in the cadent 9th house. Mars is 3rd, 10th, and 11th ruler. Not promising.

Sun, in the sign of Scorpio, and in the angular 10th house. Jupiter, in the sign of Libra, and in angular 10th house. Looks to me those two planets could represent the potential interest in the property. Sun opposes Moon. Moon opposes Jupiter. South Node in 2nd. This suggests and indicates profiting is a struggle.

Gosh, I hope this is making some sense! I am not going to try the other scenario without getting some confirmation about turning the chart. It's still confusing.

Hope to hear from Astro experts here! ��

Attachments

• astro123.jpg
    astro123.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I believe I'm on information overload and am unsure now of my analysis. I've attached another chart in this post as this one seems easier to read for me.

I have been checking more on the forum. I see different results for what represents a move. I hope it's safe to assume 4th house is for my current home, 7th for the potential location (where I am thinking of moving to...family home). I won't be using 9th house since my family's home is not overseas.

If this is the case, things turn different with now the 7th house now representing the potential location (family home). Moon is present and the planet is in the 4th house. What does that placement mean? I'm highly considering making my parent's home my new home base for a few years and shows my deep connection still to it.

Moon opposes Sun in 8th and is also the 8th house ruler (ruling other people's money). When turning the chart, Sun's 8th house ruler, now is the 2nd house ruler. I'm stuck here. What house determines profit from the home (derived directly from a Tenant paying a Landlord (me))? Would it be Sun (family home's profit) or Tenant's pockets (represented by Capricorn so, that would be Saturn)? Maybe I'm getting in over my head and there is a much easier way to analyze??? :confused:

Moon opposes Jupiter (peregrine according to second chart attached here) in the 10th house (honors, success advancement). Jupiter is the 12th house ruler. When turning the chart, Jupiter's 12th house ruler now becomes the 6th house ruler (potential location's Tenant). Does this mean trouble finding a Tenant for my family home? :unsure:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

waybread

This is a tough one, because I believe that both your ancestral home and your current resident are 4th house matters.

However, the 4th house carries the additional meaning of your patrimony: ancestry and family. With the moon in conservative, fixed Taurus there, is this where your heart lies?

Your ruler (Saturn) in the 12th house and also ruling your second (money) house suggests the need for a serious reality check. Is one option more financially sensible than the other? Is one house more sensible from the standpoint of your work location? Is there a difference in the rental market between the two houses?

The moon rules your dwelling as well as your mother. It's next aspect is an opposition to the sun (just a hair past the 4th house ruler Venus) in your 10th house of career. The sun also rules your 8th house of investments. The 4th house ruler Venus is just a hair past a sextile with Saturn so I'm not seeing one super-wonderful decision here.

Have you ever been a landlord before? I have, and I don't have the emotional stamina to deal with bad tenants. Do you actually need to keep one of these homes? If you sold one and banked/invested the money, then what?

Yes! This is complicated. I actually have not considered both homes could be represented by the 4th house. Hmmm

I'm extremely torn on what to do since my heart does lie in a move back. My decision right now though is largely based on emotional attachment and memories associated with the ancestral property being the only home I know.

I wasn't sure what to classify mother and father. My mother was more dominant. My father was more passive. I would represent Father with 4th and Mother with 10th.

Moving back could create more of a risk for me to get more attached to it if I lived there for the intended 2-3 years. I started to crunch some numbers and I would have to rent the ancestral home in that stated range of time of 2-3 years in order to recapture all the renovation costs I put into the property. It would only be at that time I would consider selling it and using the proceeds to invest in an income producing property.

I toyed with the idea of selling upon completion of all the renovations, but if we look to the chart for this scenario of selling, the Moon, ruling 7th, becomes the buyer and positioned in the 4th house. Jupiter, rules the 12th house, and Sun, rules the 8th house (buyer's money). Jupiter and Sun are positioned in the 10th house gets weakened with the Sun and Moon opposing Jupiter. Jupiter is peregrine. There's buyer's interest, but the price offers that may come forth will be unsatisfactory.

Work-wise, I can work remotely from anywhere. I have experience being a landlord. Gosh, do I agree with you! It can be emotionally taxing when troubles arise!

Rental market conditions are favorable right now. The ancestral property has a lot more outdoor space to roam, shop space to store large equipment, but still within striking distance to town. That extra space can be rented out separately from the actual home. The combination of renting out the shop and primary residence together would be noticeably more when compared to renting out the the shop and ancestral home together. What throws me off is that the primary residence has a larger interior, therefore, more maintenance, risk of greater, wear and tear, and more resources to correct deficiencies when it's time to revisit selling in 2-3 years. My concern is that whatever the extra monthly rent (after comparing the two combinations) could be wiped out along with maintenance reserves I would have set aside in the event I should receive a bad tenant, making the potential move to the ancestral home a complete wash in 2-3 years. I always look at worst case. It's more probable that a gain is more likely though. The chart seems to indicate otherwise and causing just more indecision and anxiety.

waybread

It looks like you've thought through this problem from just about every angle. But if you own your own home now where you're living, can you sell it, and pay off your reno costs?

It seems to me there are some partial options, like live in your family home but rent out the shop, do an Air BnB, or take in a room-mate.

I think your emotions count for something. If you get really good tenants in your family home, no problem. If you get problem tenants they won't have the respect for your home's sentimental value (or material value) that you do.

The moon's next aspect is an opposition to the sun in the 10th house of your career. The sun rules the 8th house of investments, so this may not be the best basis for a decision. Saturn (you) is in the 12th. I'm not picking up an exchange of essential dignities. Venus, the 4th house ruler is domiciled, but is just past its sextile to Saturn. I'm not picking up a lot of strength here, other than intuitively, I think your heart is in a return to your family home, vs. treating it as an investment through renting.

But please take this as a weak response.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
I still want to live in my current home and for long term stay as my true home base. Selling it is not an option as my primary residence is my first home and I never intended or planned to move anytime soon. I've always thought this was going to be the home I would stay here long-term. The sudden loss of both of my parents was a shock and going back to live there wasn't suppose to be in the cards. My gut says I know I'll eventually sell my ancestral home, just holding onto it till what was put in is recouped. It would be good to move on and let a new family enjoy creating their own memories when that happens :love:

I think the main things to see in the chart which I am still unsure about is if there is even the ability to separate the two homes, signify the profit that would arise from each home and make the comparisons from there. The Moon does seem to represent both homes as you explained earlier, but it makes the analysis a bit complicated for myself. I hope other horary astrologers may also bring forth their analysis and provide their interpretations too. :smile:

Many thanks for all you've provided, waybread. I'm still very much a novice so it's nice to be given your response in that it also helps me learn this fascinating form of astrology!

Inquisag

Here are William Lily's rules for whether or not to move:

STAYING

Do not move if the Ruler of the 4th house is Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, or Jupiter and it is in the 7th house.
Do not move if the Rulers of the 1st and 7th houses are “good planets;” Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, or Jupiter, and the planet is in good condition; that is to say, it is direct, and of swift motion, and in good aspect to the other good planets.

MOVING

Move if the Ruler of the 7th house aspects Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, or Jupiter and the Ruler of the 4th aspects an “evil planet”. [In my opinion, an evil planet is any good planet that is retrograde and any of the usual evil bunch; Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. The trans-Saturian planets were not discovered during Lilly’s time, but they tend to indicate less than optimal conditions under most circumstances, hence, their inclusion in the evil bunch.]
Move if the Ruler of the Ascendant recently separated from a Square or Opposition to the Ruler of the 6th, 8th, or 12th house.
Move if the Moon recently separated from a square, opposition, or conjunction to Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto; especially if it Rules the 7th or 4th house.
Move if peregrine or retrograde Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto is close to the ascendant or in the first house.
Move if Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, or Jupiter is peregrine in the 4th house.
Move if Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, or Pluto is in the 4th house.
Move if the Ruler of the 2nd house is weak by sign or house.
-------------------------------

Looking at Lily's rules, there are 2 indications to move - Pluto in the 1st house, ruler of the 2nd house (Uranus and Neptune are retrograde).

Lilly continued with the reasons for moving if conditions warranted it. The rules that apply to your chart are: If the Ruler of the 2nd was unfortunate, or in Square or Opposition to the Ruler of the Ascendant, or if the Part of Fortune was in the 12th, 8th, or 6th house, Lilly said the person asking the question went backwards in the world financially and his estate was consumed.

If the Ruler of the 4th house was unfortunate, or the 4th house itself was unfortunate, Lilly judged the house in which the person asking the question lived, was unlucky and few previous occupants thrived while living there or that the repairs to the house had weakened the inquisitor or the house was not in a good spot for his Trade.
----------------
The ruler of your 4th house opposes Uranus. This could mean that something or someone from a distance or a storm affects your earned income (Venus in 9). Since the ruler of the 7th opposes the ruler of the 8th (profit of the move), it could be that if you move to your parents house you will discover something that would have made the house non-rentable. I understand that you like where you live now, but I think the ruler of the 1st in your 12th house indicates there is something you are hiding from yourself, not realizing.

If you can wait until after Uranus goes direct on January 3, 2018, your financial considerations should be clearer.

waybread

Really interesting delineation of Lilly. I hadn't though of this as a "move or stay" question, but this works for me. But Lilly wouldn't have talked about the modern outers, which were all discovered long after he lived. I take it you see them as malefic.

Thank you for posting Lilly's rules on moving!

I don't really like those oppositions present as you have pointed out. I am beginning to see how powerful horary can be.

The ruler of the first in the 12th, here's to hoping that will be brought into the open soon! Maybe this indicates the many worries I have making my mind spin in different directions.

Oh geez, the last thing I would need now is a storm affecting things. There has been enough resources and time already spent towards the home, I don't need anymore! *fingers crossed*

January 3rd may just work out since it will take a while to find a tenant for either home. I think I should just put both on the market and whatever home has the best qualified tenant first wins! Lol. If that was the case, I'd put my bet on the primary home finding one first. :sideways:

Last edited:

Inquisag

Regarding tenants, I think that it should be a question for another chart. Tenants are ruled by the 6th house and your ruler is not making a connection to the 6th house ruler. This could be because your question was about whether or not you should move.

tikana

"Do not move if the Ruler of the 4th house is Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, or Jupiter and it is in the 7th house."

really? that is more for moving .. cause you are relocating a house to 7th

aquarius7000

Hi,

Since you are talking about "moving back to your home", the chart clearly shows the 7th house ruler, the Moon, back in the 4th house, in Taurus, and strong. Moving back should be a good move.

Saturn in the 12th shows your unhappiness, presently, and perhaps also some confusion on your part. Note also that Venus, though strong, has moved away from its aspect to Saturn, so it has separated already.

Last edited:
Hi,

Since you are talking about "moving back to your home", the chart clearly shows the 7th house ruler, the Moon, back in the 4th house, in Taurus, and strong. Moving back should be a good move.

Saturn in the 12th shows your unhappiness, presently, and perhaps also some confusion on your part. Note also that Venus, though strong, has moved away from its aspect to Saturn, so it has separated already.

Thank you for supplying your position as well.

I have posted a new question and my concern are the quality of tenants for each home. That will really determine if the move is "successful" from a financial standpoint,by the quality of tenant of each home, essentially which one would rent better from viewing the tenant for each home and the financial outcomes for each as a rental. This can be especially difficult so I am seeking more expertise with this.

I really cant thank you all enough who took an interest in answering my post. And if you can continue to, please take a look to explore this from this other angle,and review my new post in this same section of the forum. It takes one terrible tenant to really do some damage to my finances. I've had that happen a few times in my past experiences. I would feel more settled knowing I've seen the results on how this new question pans out before finally arriving on how to move ahead.

Last edited:

breeze

Sorry for your loss.

Here is my take for your chart.

I understand the question as " shd.I stay at my home or shd I stay to my mom's home ?".

So,

L1 is you - ruled by Sat
L4 is your home - ruled by Venus
L10 is your mom - ruled by Mars
L1 is your mom's home ( 4th. From the 10th) - ruled by Saturn

Saturn - mom's home - is dignified by being in its term and face, but it is in the 12th.
Venus - your home - is in its sign and in the 9th. So, Venus is more dignified by Saturn. It seems your own home is in better condition than mom's for some reason ( may be its newer, or more comfortable etc ). Venus is beautifully sitting on happy star Spica is another testomony your home is in good shape.

Moon - in the 4th, in her exalting. You are so happy in your own home.

Venus is the only planet exaltaing Saturn, you. Any change by "home" will be changing signs, so Venus will be at her detriment in Scorpio. She will be under sun beams also and will not be exalting you, Saturn any more.

I also notice, Saturn is also the dispositor of South Node.

If this chart was mine, I wld. stay at my own home.

Pls. Keep us informed about the outcome of the chart.

Cheers

I'm staying put you all! I'm contacting a company to help place my parent's property on the market tomorrow.

Thanks for all your input and everyone who helped me analyze this very difficult decision. :love: