What do you call this behavior?

WHYNOT

Banned
This is a situation that happened last year.

An elderly lady is in hospital, then finally hospice with a terminal illness..
Older daughter A ( late 50's) having come from another city, stays at mother's house but spends each day at mother's side, from early morning till evening, to give comfort and support.
She is functioning in "emergency mode". When rushing out each morning, she sometimes forgets to lock the back door..or the bathroom window..

Daughter B , who stays home all day, lives in the flat beneath. She comes in upstairs every night to use the microwave . She makes a big point, each time, of giving 'A' a telling off about "forgetting to lock up" , complaining about needing to check after her, and that she needs to "make her take responsibility".

'A' feels increasingly stressed . Having Mars in Pisces, she soon takes to hiding in the bedroom to avoid B. (she has experienced nasty run-ins with her in the past and always came away worst off)
'B' ( Sun/Ven/Pluto in 8th) lets herself into the house by key & without knocking. She comes in at any time in the evening and it puts 'A' on edge, unable to relax..

Finally one day, 'A' decides to be assertive - tells 'B' to choose a time to come in - and stick to it. 'B' gets angry. She feels she has the right to come in any time, just like she always did when mother was there.

Final Scene - in the Hospice. Mother lying weak in bed.
Daughter A is there. 'B' walks in & sits down. Suddenly she gets up and launches into long complaint about how 'A' "is a bully", & bla bla bla bla etc
Shocked & mortified, 'A' exits the room.

Afterwards, when 'B' has left, 'A' re enters.
To her dismay, mother has gone very quiet and doesn't seem the same as before. She seems troubled. And way more tired than before. Later on she suddenly says to 'A' - " I wish you'd be nice to (B)"...

Just like always.
Needless to say, because of mothers weak condition 'A' doesn't try to correct her, but only nods lamely in agreement, feeling sick inside.

How would you describe 'B's behavior above?

Last edited:

david starling

Older daughter A ( late 50's) having come from another city, stays at mother's house but spends each day at mother's side, from early morning till evening, to give comfort and support.
She is functioning in "emergency mode". When rushing out each morning, she sometimes forgets to lock the back door..or the bathroom window..

Daughter B , who stays home all day, lives in the flat beneath. She comes in upstairs every night to use the microwave . She makes a big point, each time, of giving 'A' a telling off about "forgetting to lock up" , complaining about needing to check after her, and that she needs to "make her take responsibility".

'A' feels increasingly stressed . Having Mars in Pisces, she soon takes to hiding in the bedroom to avoid B. (she has experienced nasty run-ins with her in the past and always came away worst off)
'B' ( Sun/Ven/Pluto in 8th) lets herself into the house by key & without knocking. She comes in at any time in the evening and it puts 'A' on edge, unable to relax..

Finally one day, 'A' decides to be assertive - tells 'B' to choose a time to come in - and stick to it. 'B' gets angry. She feels she has the right to come in any time, just like she always did when mother was there.

Daughter A is there. 'B' walks in & sits down. Suddenly she gets up and launches into long complaint about how 'A' "is a bully", & bla bla bla bla etc

To her dismay, mother has gone very quiet and doesn't seem the same as before. She seems troubled. And way more tired than before. Later on she suddenly says to 'A' - " I wish you'd be nice to (B)"...

Just like always.
Needless to say, because of mothers weak condition 'A' doesn't try to correct her, but only nods lamely in agreement, feeling sick inside.

Angry, because A went off and left them, and is going to leave again.

Just like always.

B is used to getting her own way with the mother. Her behaviour is off someone who is scared of being alone and angry. Unfortunately, she used her 8th house spirit to manipulate her mum. When the mum has passed away, B will continue leaning on people emotionally, and being manipulative. A will continue to distance herself from it and go back to her life. Will they reconcile in the future,or for the sake of their mums memory? The way B behaved, I would keep an emotional distance. But it is borne from pain, perhaps love and understanding can conquer all. But B needs to think like an adult and not a child.

WHYNOT

Banned
B is used to getting her own way with the mother. Her behaviour is off someone who is scared of being alone and angry. Unfortunately, she used her 8th house spirit to manipulate her mum. When the mum has passed away, B will continue leaning on people emotionally, and being manipulative. A will continue to distance herself from it and go back to her life. Will they reconcile in the future,or for the sake of their mums memory? The way B behaved, I would keep an emotional distance. But it is borne from pain, perhaps love and understanding can conquer all. But B needs to think like an adult and not a child.

Thank you Bluebell- Very perceptive . You're absolutely correct about 'B' being very manipulative & always used to getting her own way. Also that she will continue leaning on people emotionally ,and being manipulative.
This has already been happening. There are actually 2 other siblings , which I didn't mention, whom she has twisted round her finger. Over the years she has told a lot of lies about 'A', (by manipulating & distorting facts) and more since the mother died..,getting them all to believe her, causing 'A' huge heartache.
You're jolly right about keeping an emotional distance. It will be more than that ..probably a divorce from the family, sadly.

Last edited:

david starling

Thank you Bluebell- Very perceptive . You're absolutely correct about 'B' being very manipulative & always used to getting her own way. Also that she will continue leaning on people emotionally ,and being manipulative.
This has already been happening. There are actually 2 other siblings , which I didn't mention, whom she has twisted round her finger. Over the years she has told a lot of lies about 'A', (by manipulating & distorting facts) and more since the mother died..,getting them all to believe her, causing 'A' huge heartache.
You're jolly right about keeping an emotional distance. It will be more than that ..probably a divorce from the family, sadly.
Looks like I got it wrong--sounds like 'B' wasn't angry about 'A' leaving, but, coming back to comfort their mother. Like you say, "sad". And, malevolent!

Looks like I got it wrong--sounds like 'B' wasn't angry about 'A' leaving, but, coming back to comfort their mother. Like you say, "sad". And, malevolent!

No I think what you said about 'B' being angry that 'A' left makes sense. Perhaps she felt abandoned and to prevent from feeling so again is acting malevolent.

Human nature is so fascinating...group dynamics. I've been playing a strategy game so im in that frame of mind. I hope the OP doesn't mind if strategize the scenario. 'A' is the eldest female and will soon be the matriarch. Keeping my an emotional distance will be the best way to keep that position, as not giving 'B' the attention she craves will just annoy her even more and act like a child, causing a rift in the group she has created, as they will need to comfort her and therefore 'B' is no longer presuming the role of matriarch. In comes 'A' who is able to keep calm as she has kept an emotional distance.

Last edited:

david starling

Dunno, I've been smoking roll-ups again and about to go for a cat nap. There's always been something fishy about Dr Phil though. He isn't right...in the head.

Maybe crazy people make the best therapists!:andy: I'm not really a fan of his show--if it's still on the air?

Last edited:

WHYNOT

Banned

"malevolent"- spot on! Perfect word!
However B would have a blue fit if accused of harbouring malevolent intentions, because she views herself as all "sunshine and light", whilst viewing 'B" as the villain.