Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Horary Astrology > Horary Technique

Horary Technique This sub-board is the placeholder for all threads concerning theoretical and technical issues in horary astrology.

Unread 10-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Via Combusta

Hi
I have a new question. In horary we often see that the Moon is in Via Combusta. I was wondering should we apply this to all other planets as well ? If for example, the Sun is in Via Combusta, should it be taken as inauspicious ? In any case the Sun is in its fall in Libra. I am particularly confused about Mars and Venus in this case, because Venus is in its sign in Libra and Mars in Scorpio. Further Saturn reaches its exhalation in Libra ... more confusion for me

Please help.
Take care

Unread 10-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Re: Via Combusta

Dreamtimez, yes it is somewhat confusing, because if Via Combusta is so bad, how come that Spica placed in there is so fortunate! and like you said, Saturn reaches it's exaltation in Libra. In such a case I dont take the burning than very seriously as I think Saturn would be able to withstand that. At times we must juggle a bit and not take things too literally in horary.

Personally I do look at planets who are in the Via Combusta,(as I do at planets which are VOC, even thought that is also only mentioned in relation to the Moon) but still dont really know how seriously negative that could be .

Anthony Louis in his book Horary plain & simple does take it as serious.
It is the "burning way" or "combust path" and unpredictable burning influence of the nature of Mars, Saturn and Uranus.(he uses the moderns moderately).
It often refers to matters of illness, damage, danger, fear, confinement or death. It can literally refer to burning as from a fever of in a fire.

Now according to Marc Edmund Jones the conventional explanation for the "curse" on this span in the zodiac, the presence of certain violent fixed stars, is an inadequate hypothesis, since there are other sections of the heavens that may as justifiably be bad placements.

Last edited by starlink; 10-23-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Unread 10-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Actually, Via Combusta is the worst for the Sun and the Moon, the reason being that both planets are in signs opposite their exaltation; so the Sun is in fall in Libra and the Moon is in fall in Scorpio. This represents a space where both lights, so important in a chart, are at their weakest and most ineffective.

Both planets have some mitigating circumstances in Via Combusta, however, since between 6-18.59 degrees Libra, planets are in the terms of Venus and Jupiter respectively; and between 6-20.59 degrees Scorpio, planets are in the terms of Jupiter and Venus, respectively; so things aren't entirely as negative between these degrees as they are in other degrees of Libra/Scorpio. Also, as Starlink notes, Spica is at 23 Libra, so another [albeit slight] place of relief.

AG
Unread 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM

Thank you Starlink and Archergirl this has been a great help.
Take care.

Tags
combusta